It is possible? Dream or nightmare?

Yes, this can be done and you'll have a great time!

I believed you can get a Nexus card ($50.00 for each adult and free for kids) for travel in and out of Canada via air.

No trip insurance is needed.

Have a friend drive you to and from DIA so you don't have to pay parking fees.

See if there is a hotel by the port that has free transportation from the airport to the hotel. If not, there is usually a shuttle of some sort that is cheaper than a taxi.

You will likely have to pay for transportation from the hotel to the port but should only need one taxi if you don't overpack.

I personally wouldn't take car seats and scale way back to two pieces of luggage. It is more than enough. If you are worried there are washers/dryers onboard.

Your phone is also perfect for pictures. We recently returned from a trip and we never took our camera out of the safe!

Research free or cheap exclusions.

Onboard you will only have tips. There are some pay for items like alcohol but you don't have to purchase them (you can bring a limited amount of alcohol onboard.)

Have fun! Don't let logistics get in your way.

First of all Congratulations. Secondly I think everyone is forgetting about taxes for the cruise itself. If I read it right online it's a 1/4 of what the ARV (Approximate Retail Value) of the cruise is. If it's $6000 that's going to take a big chunk of the $2500. I'm no mathematician so I may have the the math wrong, but that's what I saw online.

I really hope you can go on the cruise. If not have a magical time at Disneyland. pixiedust:

If you aren't sure that you will use it, pass. There will be taxes due for the full value of the prize.

This was my first thought. I always thought taxes on prizes were considered luxury tax and therefore very high. I have never won anything so don't know for sure, just what I have read. From what I understand it is close to a third of the value of the prize. That would be a big shock at tax time if you did not prepare. I would look into that first as it could eat a big chunk into your $2500 fund.

Edited to say I did not see Iris1974 response but sounds close to what I read. I have wondered at times if those "prizes" are good thing or if finding a deal is a better thing. Disneyland is awesome and I would probably go that route if things were that tight. Carsland is amazing and there are some great off site places nearby. I bet your kids would love it and your family will have a fabulous time without being overstressed. If you find the cruise worth it and you do have free airline tickets, then you can definitely find inexpensive things to do in Alaska. We rented a car in Skagway and it was cheap and beautiful drive up to the Yukon. Lumberjack show is very fun in Ketchikan.

Last edited:
I guess I did come off as more negative than I meant to, It's all just so overwhelming, I'm a big planner, and we keep a very tight budget. We were ready to stay somewhere gross and cheap at Disneyland because we know our kids wont remember it, and we would hopefully just sleep there (DS is really good at stroller sleep, DD wont nap with that much stimulation). Anyway some of you have been really awesome and understanding, especially Lisa F. and aprincessatlast! and there are some really good tips!

Oh, also I didn't mention the taxes, yes, DH and I plan to save $1000 for taxes, and hope to figure the rest of that out later if we need to, so yeah, it's really $1500, but I can probably borrow a camera, and I'll ask about luggage.

I think a big part of what makes me so overwhelmed is the posts I've been reading for the last week on here where people are saying that if you cant afford "x" you don't belong on a Disney Cruise. A lot of the time, I cant, but I still want to go.

I think that this vacation would be the best one my family could go on for years, we have never been catered to in the ways we've read about and the food looks so amazing! I don't want to have it fail because we didn't know enough to make it work.

Does it have to be taken this year? With most contests, you have a year to use the prize. Maybe shoot for 2018, if you can. Also, taxes on prizes are usually a 1099 at tax time so, if you usually get a refund you could just plan on it coming out of that.

I think a big part of what makes me so overwhelmed is the posts I've been reading for the last week on here where people are saying that if you cant afford "x" you don't belong on a Disney Cruise. A lot of the time, I cant, but I still want to go.

Nonsense. You are saving up for the expenses, and making responsible choices. Enjoy the cruise, be responsible with your money, and don't worry about naysayers.

Well. Good luck. You being new to the boards and posting you winning and what not seems at an odd time considering that was your first post.

What exactly are you looking for here? Ideas on how it's done? Money?

Credit cards work well in these situations. Maybe pay back the parents. Setup a gofundme. Idk. Just some thoughts. You may or may not like. Just seen scams like these in the past.

Anyway, we had saved $2500 for a short trip to Disneyland while the kids are still young (my daughter loves princesses and everything Frozen). We could use the money to go to the cruise, but the outside costs are staggering, can it be done????

What outside costs are staggering you? Others have suggested ideas of what you're worried about, but I don't know what YOU are worrying about.

Our first cruise was Royal in Alaska for our honeymoon. We did exactly ONE official excursion, and even it wasn't necessary. Juneau we took the cheap "big blue bus" up to the glacier area and wandered around for free. IN Skagway we did the excursion (tea at Jewell Gardens, which I'm not sure is even offered as an excursion on any cruiseline anymore) then later wandered around town on foot. In Ketchikan we got off the ship, wandered, saw we hadn't seen in Juneau or Skagway, and we were NOT interested in the lumberjack show, so inside an hour went back to the ship and enjoyed it.

Although we did spend money in Vancouver on hotels, we spent almost NO money on the cruise or in the towns. Oh wait...shirt in one of the towns, a few things at a bookstore in Skagway, had lunch at a Mexican place in Juneau...

Oh, my parents were planning on paying for the airfare, they aren't really in a position to do any more, and I don't think I could bring myself to ask anyway...

That's a hefty portion of the costs right there!

If they don't have passports (I'm guessing they don't from the description) that is $500(ish) right there.

Good point.

Don't forget travel insurance! Add $200.

Most of their costs are zero. That said, adding airfare and a possible hotel to outside trip insurance would possibly be less than $200 as a premium.

None of us have ever left the country, and there is a thread that keeps coming up where everyone seems to be saying that only awful parents would leave their country with their kids without proper passports. (that's $480) and the hotels for the summer are all more than 100 a night

What thread are you talking about?

And really, FWIW, if you're flying in to Canada, you *have to* have passports. This isn't a situation like Caribbean closed-loop cruises.

And you're next to Alaska for almost the whole cruise, which means your American health insurance would cover problems. Not sure how things work in Canada, but my husband fell and hit his head while in England, and was able to go to an urgent care AND a hospital to get checked out, and incurred NO costs.

Passport cards are also much less costly than full passports.

But they only work if driving in.

The passports, hotel, we don't even own a camera better than the one on my phone, so I'd really like to get a decent cheap one and that's about $100 so we can have pictures to remember

First research the camera on your phone, and then see if you can get a better one at that price point. It's entirely possible that you can't get a better one!

The only time we have ever made a claim with our travel insurance was when our cruise was fogged in, we could not debark for hours, we missed our flight and our car to the airport, we had to pay for a hotel room that night because we could not get on another flight, and it paid for all that and the changes to the air. So the only time we've ever used travel insurance was not for the cruise but for the associated travel costs with interrupted trip.

DH has flat out missed flights before and wasn't charged extra money for getting on another flight. You were charged?

Flying--if you fly to Canada you'll need passport books. If you fly to Seattle and then go over the border by land (rental car, bus, or train) the adults can have passport cards, and kids can use birth certificates. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/passport-travel-documentation/

True.

Don't get travel insurance as the cruise cost is already covered by someone else and the active portion of your trip will take place in the USA, where your regular medical insurance will still apply.

Agreed.

I believed you can get a Nexus card ($50.00 for each adult and free for kids) for travel in and out of Canada via air.

There are no enrollment centers in Colorado according to the GOES website. So that would be an even bigger burden on them.

We were ready to stay somewhere gross and cheap at Disneyland because we know our kids wont remember it, and we would hopefully just sleep there (DS is really good at stroller sleep, DD wont nap with that much stimulation).

OH gosh, if you do go to Disneyland please don't stay at a 'gross" place. First, there are no gross places nearby, so you would then have to take taxis to the park. At the very least check out the maingate Motel 6 that's in walking distance (about 20 minutes walk). It's actually not bad at all.

And IF you do go on the cruise and if you do need a hotel, there are relatively reasonably-priced hotels there. Downtown Vancouver is very small, and you really do not have to be *right there* at the pier.

What posts are you reading, LOL? You need to choose your threads better, WishingStar. :);)

The ONLY "if you can't afford this you shouldn't go" part of cruising is gratuities. Beyond that, there's not one extra thing you *need to* purchase or do onboard or it's not worth cruising.

Thoughts...
  • what is the cruise date? This will give us a better idea on hotel costs.
  • Depending on the date (availability)... you can get hotels for $100 a night in the airport suburbs.
  • Airport to cruise terminal is $27 USD for the cab carload.
  • One window? Sounds like my fav Deck 2 Oceanview! Forget the Deck 1 twins. The Deck 2 Oceanviews are like a climate controlled balcony!
  • Alaska takes USD. Vancouver's currency has collapsed.... they call it the "Loonie". If you see a price.... give yourself a 25% discount.

So cool that you won and I totally understand why your overwhelmed at the costs of extra. Theres lots of posts where people seem to be spending $$ like water. Going on the long train excursion to the Yukon w/ dogselds, float plane trips, whale watching, Palo for dinner, drinks every night and staying at the Pan Pacific or the some other high end hotel and cruising multi times a year. I was starting to get a complex about not doing all that stuff.

But as people have pointed out, you don't have to do any of that stuff. I'm looking at it as Disney first Alaska second.

On the luggage front, how much do you really need to bring. I use crappy luggage, mine involves gorilla tape and super glue, I even stayed at the Ritz with it. I also regurly check a blue "plastic" IKEA duffle bag and have never had a problem (I put everything into a garbage bag, just to be safe).

If your folks can help but it seems to much to ask for airfare, maybe asking them to pick up the hotel or the cost of passports or a camera.

I hope you can figure it out and don't be put off by some of the comments and congrats on being brave enough to post.

The passports, hotel, we don't even own a camera better than the one on my phone, so I'd really like to get a decent cheap one and that's about $100 so we can have pictures to remember (that was part of our expected Disneyland budget), Food costs (outside of the cruise) and transportation everywhere; can a regular taxi even fit 4-7 pieces of luggage and 4 people, (with 2 car seats?) and how much would that taxi even cost? in Denver a taxi around town would cost at least $20 for just a couple people. We couldn't possibly take this many people/stuff on public transportation... It's so overwhelming and it's so soon!

Vancouver has great public transportation and a train drops you off directly in front of the ship. I took two kids ages 8 and 6 while my husband was at home with our little girl. I brought 1500 ( that is always my limit as I just don't see the need to spend more )

We took the sky rail to the hotel and then from the hotel it was right outside (I did a little research ) and then straight to the port. We ate cheap the night before and then ate hotel continental breakfast the next morning. (Free)

We played a couple rounds of bingo and I didn't drink any alcohol on the cruise. We did the train tour which was amazing and the children were half the cost as adults. We also did a lumber jack show which my boys really enjoyed. The other two stops we walked around and just window shopped.

We then took a taxi back to the airport. It's was I beilive 40?. You have plenty of money. Your passports will be the most amount unless you have excursions you will encounter.

If I were you I would scratch down exactly what you have. Do some research like cost of hotel, sky rail and excursion and cruise activities, and make a list of what you have to spend what you want to do and what you can.

Good luck and have fun!

From Vancouver:
  1. Airport to port is connected via the Skytrain (Canada Line)
  2. Stay anywhere along the Canada line for one night will be convenient enough for you to get to the cruise on time the next day
  3. I've never really tried taking a cab since the trains are pretty frequent and convenient here but it should be pretty convenient as well.
  4. Hotel costs can vary but as mentioned above, you don't have to stay in downtown Vancouver.
Let me know if you have other questions about Vancouver

Yes, this can be done and you'll have a great time!

No trip insurance is needed.

Have a friend drive you to and from DIA so you don't have to pay parking fees.

See if there is a hotel by the port that has free transportation from the airport to the hotel. If not, there is usually a shuttle of some sort that is cheaper than a taxi.

You will likely have to pay for transportation from the hotel to the port but should only need one taxi if you don't overpack.

I personally wouldn't take car seats and scale way back to two pieces of luggage. It is more than enough. If you are worried there are washers/dryers onboard.

Your phone is also perfect for pictures. We recently returned from a trip and we never took our camera out of the safe!

Research free or cheap exclusions.

Onboard you will only have tips. There are some pay for items like alcohol but you don't have to purchase them (you can bring a limited amount of alcohol onboard.)

Have fun! Don't let logistics get in your way.

I don't know how it works for the US but here (in Canada), you need a passport to get a Nexus card and it can take up to three months to receive it.

Last edited:
And you're next to Alaska for almost the whole cruise, which means your American health insurance would cover problems. Not sure how things work in Canada, but my husband fell and hit his head while in England, and was able to go to an urgent care AND a hospital to get checked out, and incurred NO costs.

If you get hurt in Canada and need care you WILL be charged. You need to be covered by Health Care and present your card in order to get "free" health care.

An insurance could be useful for those days but...

Check with your credit card first. Most credit cards offer free travel insurance (for the health part) for you and your family.

I am really sad that the general tone on the DIS came across like this. I can be very frugal with my travel money and for example prefer to book inside cabins instead of verandah because I prefer to spend my money on other things than a balcony.

The great thing about cruising is that once you are on the ship, there really is not a lot of other spending involved. I assume the gratuities are covered by your prize. So, all your food, whether it comes from the buffet, the quick service locations on the pool deck or the main dining rooms will be covered. You can easily just eat on the ship even on port days. So, no need to buy any food besids what you eat before and after the cruise while travelling. And for your departure day, you could even bring food from home (you might have to eat it before getting to Vancouver though). It is only liquids that are restricted to bring onto a plane, not food. And I always bring an empty water bottle with me to fill up at a water fountain after security to have some water with me on the plane as well.

There are plenty of ways to reduce travel costs. You already got great info on how to use public transport in Vancouver, which will keep transportation costs down. I would also suggest to check hotel prices with one of the hotel comparisons sites. I have often used www.kayak.com with good results, but www.tripadvisor.com seems to work quite well, too. And tripadvisor also lets you check lots of reviews on hotels. If you want to keep meal costs down while you are in Vancouver, try to find a hotel that is close to shops. It is always cheaper to stock up on supplies at a supermarket and just have a picnic with a loaf of bread, some fruit and some cheese than going to a restaurant.

Also, you don't have to plan everything right now! I know it can be a bit overwhelming, but take your time and put in the research and I am sure you will find good options.

Hope you can pull this off and have anamazing cruise!! I think your kids will remember this cruise as something amazing just as they would with Disneyland. And there is no rule that they cannot still enjoy Disney once they are some years older and you were able to replenish the DL travel fund!

I guess I did come off as more negative than I meant to, It's all just so overwhelming, I'm a big planner, and we keep a very tight budget. We were ready to stay somewhere gross and cheap at Disneyland because we know our kids wont remember it, and we would hopefully just sleep there (DS is really good at stroller sleep, DD wont nap with that much stimulation). Anyway some of you have been really awesome and understanding, especially Lisa F. and aprincessatlast! and there are some really good tips!

Oh, also I didn't mention the taxes, yes, DH and I plan to save $1000 for taxes, and hope to figure the rest of that out later if we need to, so yeah, it's really $1500, but I can probably borrow a camera, and I'll ask about luggage.

I think that this vacation would be the best one my family could go on for years, we have never been catered to in the ways we've read about and the food looks so amazing! I don't want to have it fail because we didn't know enough to make it work.
I forgot to say Congratulations in my first post! I also think it is a great thing that you've been able to stay home with your kids while they're young. Do not worry about what others say on the boards. The contest will cover a good chunk of the cost and you already plan to be as thrifty as possible--you have every right to go on the cruise if you decide you're comfortable with your costs. As we've said once you're on the cruise, almost everything is covered. There is a show in the theater every night--either a Disney Broadway style show, an entertainer, or a recent Disney movie. The movie theater shows the most recent Disney movies. There are the kids' clubs. For the Alaskan cruises there is a naturalist on board that will do talks on a few days, and narrate the Tracy Arm day. There are deck parties, atrium parties, character meet and greets, random character encounters, etc. The pools are heated--it's just getting out that's tough! If it is foggy, the Goofy pool will be closed due to foghorn use. When you do online checkin, you can book the free character breakfast, and meet and greets for the princess gathering and Anna/Elsa/Olaf. Those are the only ones that require the free tix. Hotels in the airport area are cheaper, look for one that includes breakfast. Some of them have free airport shuttles. I couldn't find any that also offered a shuttle to port.

For free/inexpensive excursions:
Skagway:
  • Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park (https://www.nps.gov/klgo/learn/kidsyouth/index.htm) It is a free national park, they have free tours, a junior ranger center in it's own building just for kids--dress up, games, coloring sheets, etc.
  • There are also supposed to be hiking trails nearby.
  • playgrounds

Juneau:
  • Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center (https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800) You do have to get there somehow as it's a 20 minute drive from town. We did the Glacier Express, roundtrip is $30/adult, $25/kid, they drop off/pick up every 1/2 hour. There are 2 companies that offer it, we went with Juneautours. Others have rented a car from the port area for around $60 for the day--and then they could visit other places as well. I believe the visitor center charges $5/adult--that cost is included in the Glacier Express.
  • Disney offers a free shuttle from the port to the start of town, runs every 15 minutes. Then you're in walking distance of shops, etc.
  • Mt Roberts Tramway (http://mountrobertstramway.com/): $33/adult, $16 for ages 6-12, free for under 6. Best to wait until that day to decide if the weather is good for this. If it's a foggy/rainy day, you'll have no views. Entrance is near where Disney shuttle drops you off.
  • There are museums around as well. When researching I was looking at the Alaska State Museum (http://museums.alaska.gov/asm/asmhome.html). It's $12/adult, free for kids.
  • Whale watching--no idea of cost. People have said the companies offer you good deals if you go up to the booths that day. The Disney shuttle lets you off right in this area.
Ketchikan:
  • The port is right in town. Easy walk to shops, walking around to look at a few totem poles. Historic Creek Street (which is mostly shops, but nice to take pics of the area.)
  • Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show (http://alaskanlumberjackshow.com/) It is very easy to walk to from the ship. Get cheaper tix through them. Regular show: $37/adult, $18.50/child; Disney exclusive: $42/adult, $22/child. I will say that the chainsaws are LOUD, so if you have a child that doesn't like loud noises, I wouldn't even consider doing this.
Vancouver:

Unfortunately it's not as great as it seems, nothing is included except the cruise itself (up to 4 people in a single porthole room) and the taxes/tips (up to $6000).

First of all, I will just echo what many others have said. This is totally doable on your budget, especially if your parents can pay for airfare.

The one thing I want to question though is the part of your post I quoted above. I'm not sure I understand this. Is $6000 the total amount that you have been given to purchase the cruise? If so, as a PP noted taking a quick look at Disney's website shows that even inside rooms in June / July are going to be more than that for 4 people. The way you phrased your post, however, leads me to think you meant that the cruise fare itself was completely covered for a one port hole room and the taxes/tips could be be up to $6000. If that is the case, that is considerably more than you need for taxes and tips, so I'm wondering if spending money is included. I'm just confused, I guess.

As others have noted, take a breath. You've been given a great gift. Our cruise to Alaska on Disney was amazing. If you can work this out, it will be a vacation of a lifetime and well worth the extra time and effort to plan everything out. I truly hope it all works out for you!

Does the contest have an assigned date?
  • Summer rates will be higher. The Wonder has a special 9 day cruise on one week where the price really spikes.
  • Long weekends will be higher.
  • I recommend focusing on May to July for dry weather.
  • August to September is statistically best for storm chasers. It's discounted for them.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter