It is a shame!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that knowing who is serious or not is the main issue. I think the thing that I have a problem with is that when these 'debates' arise, as with the GV thread, there are some people who argue in a very nasty and mean spirited way.

I am not arguing for any sort of censorship or punishment or anything like that - just calling for people to think before they post, and to please restrain themselves from being nasty when threads like this arise.

I love all the dvc resorts!!!!! It is great to be able to go and stay at great resorts with different locations and rooms. How can anybody think one is better than another, they are all SUPER!! Relax and enjoy!!!

Just a few comments from the trenches. We have been OKW owners since 1995. When BWV opened, we went to a presentation and were not impressed enough with the resort to add on. It cost more points to stay there. It was a hotel. It just didn't suit our needs. I think that part of our initial impression with BWV was that the DVC folks who were there to sell the product didn't do BWV justice. In 2000, we had the opportunity to stay 4 nights at BWV. I loved it, mostly due to the location. We were without a car on that particular trip, so the location was most important to getting the most out of our short stay at WDW. I fell in love with the Boardwalk area. When DIScon 2001 was announced, I knew that I HAD to stay somewhere close to the action. I ended up at the Dolphin since I didn't have any points left to borrow, but I would have gladly stayed at BWV. OKW was just too far from the action to be practical for DIScon. With DIScon 2002 coming up in 8 months, I am hoping to get into either a BWV or BCV studio for the event.

I don't believe that I have ever publicly bashed any DVC resort. My wife and I had "issues" with the DVC at Hilton Head and we made our concerns known to DVC management. But I didn't see the point in bashing the resort simply for the sake of bashing.

I don't spend enough time here on the DVC Boards to know who or what is the culprit, nor do I particularly care. I have always this board to be a great resource in all things DVC.

Originally posted by ^^^ SnowBunny ^^^
If you want to see some REAL bashing? Just hop over to the Resorts Board and look up some posts on AS v. Mod's etc., ....... this is small potatoes compared to some of the heated arguments over there! ;)

Yeah, except we do not have a vested interest in Disney owned resorts.

Just my 2 cents... This is a general comment about all the boards, not just DVC.
I am a almost daily browser/lurker on these boards. I dont post often but prefer to read and consider others' ideas. The number 1 reason I visit the DIS boards is to feel connection to Disney and to get my daily "Disney fix" .
The time I spend on these boards is not always filled with that warm fuzzy "everybody loves Disney" feeling - which is to be understood.
I tend to take a lot of the posts for what they are: people trying to stir up an little trouble, people trying to get someone to respond (looking for that negative attention) or people who genuinely dont care about Disney like I do.
So I still lurk around read the posts that I want and don't read the ones that I know will ruin my "disney fix".
Like I said thats only my opinion
Shirley
:rolleyes:

I like this thread because to me the common thing that is being brought up is common courtesy. I find most of the my resort is better than your resort on the :confused: side mean or otherwise. Most of my trips to WDW have been either offsite at a Knights Inn, Days Inn kind of hotel, or onsite when Port Orleans was the value hotel or All Stars. We bought into DVC last year. I have been happy with every room and location we have stayed at except Dixie Landings, which for us we did not like the resort, but I can see others liking it. We stayed one night in an OKW studio, then 5 nights at VWL 1 bedroom and then 1 night at OKW 1 bedroom. The OKW rooms are bigger. Both resorts have thier good and bad points. I have to laugh at folks worring about which view I want so bad. I can understand distance to bus stop or pool and like. Yes DVC is a good chunk of change for us, but I have been very happy with our choice and these boards have been very helpful to us last year when my step daughter pulled out 10 days prior to leaving. DVCreg and WebmasterDoc where great in answering some of our concerns. So folks relaxe and enjoy.

Personally, I find this board about as cordial as any I've ever been on. Does that mean nothing offensive is never said, of course not. I prefer OKW but like all of the other resorts as well. I do find some aspects of OKW and other resort more or less desirable depending on the issue at hand and don't mind addressing those issues when the time seems appropriate. If this is seen as bashing, then I stand accused but I always try to stick to the facts or post my feelings in the appropriate way. While I agree that common courtesy is in order, I would vote against a plain vanilla board. I would also run away from a board that only dealt with the positives. I know I was on the old Prodigy board where everytime someone posted anything at all not positve about DVC, the party line was "if you don't like it, sell". I found that board pretty disgusting at times.

I find these boards quite informative and entertaining:p . I think that the majority of DVC members and lurkers enjoy the so called "bashing". Why is it that the resort wars have the "Most Views" and responses???Is it because most DVC members don't take it so personal as some others. I agree with Dean, if everything was "sugarcoated" and "positive", I wouldn't come to this forum hardly at all.
I think all DVC members know that all the DVC Resorts are 1st Class and beautiful. And each one has its positive's and negatives.
I just found out about this forum about 4 months ago. And we bought into DVC almost 4 years ago.I have learned more about the resorts in the last 4 months, than the previous 3 years from the people on this forum, whether it was good or bad. This is a free country and if people want to make somebody smile :) once in a while, I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as the poster doesn't cross the line, and personally attack another poster.
By the way, check back the the last 1-3 months. The postings that have the so called "resort wars" always have the most views. I wonder why?????? ;)

Personally I have never understood the arguments about what DVC resort is better. When we bought into DVC it was into OKW but the other options were our main reason for buying. So far I have stayed in BWV, OKW, and HHI. I loved them all! We are also using our points to go to the Grand Californian next week. We are planning to go to Vero Beach in 2003.The one advantage of a home resort is the 11th month window to make reservations. Sometimes this matters and sometimes it doesn't. The point is ,the options are good and they are getting even better.
Resort bashing does not help people who are trying to make a decision to buy into DVC. Just my two cents.

Capt. Midnight if you don't like the signatures you are looking at then perhaps you should shut them off. That can be done.

Oh...yes.....of course...... that makes soooooo much more sense than a discusison of whether posters can start displaying a greater degree of common courtesy to one another.......

At least you removed the quote that you used to have in your signature referring to someone else's "leather face" or something like that.

In my humble opinion, a discussion asking for a greater degree of common courtesy and a reduction in inappropriate statements is not unreasonable.

I guess I just haven't seen or read anything I would characterize as mean-spirited, in the "resort wars" thread. More importantly, I don't see anything I would characterize as "personal." I don't know why it should upset someone if someone else doesn't like their resort. That's just me, though.

I guess I'm with Dean-- this place would be pretty slow-- and not very useful-- if everyone was just holding hands singing "It's a Small World."

And as far as "resort bashing"-- not my expression-- being unhelpful for prospective DVC buyers, I respectfully disagree. Again, most of us can discard (while enjoying) the comments that are hyperbolic, funny-- but other criticisms can and should be listened to. If I was trying to pick a place to buy into, and everyone simply told me they were all wonderful but in different ways, that's fine-- although not much different that what I can get from my DVC sales guide. But when people make comments that are more-- er- colorful-- frankly, it gives me a better feeling for the place. It gives me perspective. Richyams has not sold me on OKW by any means-- I'm still leaning towards the BW-area resorts-- but his posts certainly have given me a colorful picture of what it is people like about OKW, and the differences between that resort and the other WDW DVC resorts.

I agree, I read the post board every day and very rarely make replies. It always seems like the same complainers. The same names keep coming up.

We stayed for the first time last Feb at BWV our home resort with my 3 kids and it was the best week of our life. They were courteous and amazing. Some people will just complain about everything anyway, they have issues, many which probably have nothing to do with DVC.

We own at OKW and VWL and possibly BCV in the near future. We've stayed at OKW,BWV,VWL & HHI. In May we're going to Vero. Hopefully in Oct we'll be at BCV. Every place we've stayed, we've loved and for different reasons. FOR US, VWL is the only place to stay at Christmas because of the decor and the boatride to MK is short and fun. BWV,(or BCV) is for Oct and the F&W festival. May is for OKW with the car right outside our door for jetting straight to the water parks and activities off property. Since we usually drive down from NJ, we like to hit HHI for a couple days on the way home to relax and break up the long trip home. We can all list our pro's & con's for all the resorts we've stayed in and generally we all try to keep it light hearted. We all brag up the good points of our home resorts & exagerate the bad parts of others, but I personally have never been offended by anyones comments.

Now,if you want to see ugly, let someone who owns at Westgate come in here and start talking trash about OKW or VWL ...........

I keep hearing that each resort has it's good points and bad points. I disagree. I don't really think there are 'bad' points, only 'good' points. These are all first class resorts. So OKW rooms are bigger, that's a good point, but it doesn't by default make BWV, VWL or BCV rooms 'bad'. Likewise BWV and BCV's have a great location, a 'good' point. It doesn't make OKW or VWL locations 'bad'.

All the resorts in my opinion have only 'good' points about them. The only difference is the 'good' points are different for the different resorts.

I have my personal preferences in a resort style. Whichever resort's 'good' points most closely align with my preferences will obviously become my 'favorite' resort. Everyone else's preferences will align differently, and that will determine their 'favorite' resort.

N.Y. and L.A. are two great cities, but probably couldn't be any more different from each other than two cities could be. Many New Yorkers would hate the L.A. lifestyle, while conversely many L.A. residents would hate the New York life style. That's called personal preference, and doesn't detract one iota from either city.

Likewise are the DVC resorts.

I understand the point your trying make and somewhat agree with you- the point about the larger OKW rooms not making by default the smaller BWV rooms bad. But I do think there are bad or at least inconvienant parts to all the resorts. The hallways in BWV. The buses & "fitness" center at OKW. The parking at BWV and VWL. I think my perfect resort would be within a 5 minute walking distance to all parks,I could park outside my room, I had both the main pool at OKW and SAB to chose from, no parking or street views, huge studios that offered one king or two queens....... well,you get my point. Obviously not even Disney can pull this off, or even if they could I doubt I could afford it. Every resort has something someone is not going to like, but I think we all knew that when we bought.

and disagree with ncligs. ABSOLUTELY, we don't want people to withhold complaints, to only say positive things. When I first got on the DIS boards, there were some posters on the resorts board who were *incensed* at the Unofficial Guide to Disney World, a book that I have always viewed as invaluable for it's honesty and criticism, because they were upset that it was negative about some things. Personally, I thought that that was just plain silly. What good would a book like that be if it never criticized anything? And by the same token, what good would these boards be if everyone agreed, and no one ever criticized anything at WDW or within DVC?

Certainly, we want people to air their views - the only thing I would wish for is that people do it in a way that does not become an attack on others on the board. And no, it doesn't HAVE to have a personal name in it to be an attack. We are simply talking about common courtesy here, NOT about having people refrain from expressing their opinions.

On a side note, Dean, you have always stuck with facts and stayed out of any attacks, at least in all the threads that I have read. It is not that many people who do get nasty, but it makes a big impression when it does happen, and on the resort war threads, it happens a lot more than anywhere else here.

Ncligs, the big thing I disagree with you about is equating the number of posts on a thread to people 'enjoying' the thread. I'm sure there are plenty of people reading it who do enjoy it, like yourself, and there are *also* plenty of people reading and posting to it who keep reading and responding to it because they're so worked up and upset. Clearly, those threads are very emotional for a lot of people, but there's no connection between number of posts and people's 'enjoyment' of a thread... say, you're not a statistician, are you? ;)

As far as signatures go, I have never seen anything offensive in anyone's signature - sometimes perplexing, but not offensive. :) But who knows, maybe I don't pay enough attention. ;)

Now that it has come to light that some people become disenchanted after hearing all the bashing on this board, I must admit that it has happened to me also.

I love being a DVC owner!! When I need a "Disney fix," I do surf the Resorts and DVC boards both, with the Disneytrips radio playing in the background for good measure!! Most of the time, I come away happy and informed about the latest DVC news.

I own only at OKW (1995) and do love it there. I also have visited other Disney resorts -- including the Contemporary, Caribbean Beach, Wilderness Lodge, Buena Vista Palace, and the Boardwalk Villas and loved them all. I now look forward to visiting the new Beach Club Villas this summer with the same excited anticipation that I have had before visiting each of the other resorts. Our reason for becoming a DVC member initally was to be able to switch to our beloved Contemporary Resort (which had become too expensive for us for a 10-day stay, which we usually request being from the New York area).

What I am trying to say is that owning a DVC resort has made me and my family so very happy -- we have the choice to visit at any Disney resort at any time of the year. Each resort, be it a DVC property or not, offers so many options for us as members. What I don't like to think about is that someone sitting next to us at the pool is one of those bashers, who feels that particular resort is his or her resort, and would muddy our happiness with a discussion extolling his/her resort's superior benefits! These resorts, through our DVC contract, belong to each of us to use whenever we wish. The "use year" issue is the only reason I would buy into another DVC resort -- and that would mean I would have to buy into all of them!! So, with careful planning, we have managed to see all the WDW resorts, enjoy them all, and be grateful to belong.

Sorry for the long, sometimes ambling message, but I want our feeling of happiness being a DVC member to overcome the sometimes negative postings.

I think the resort arguments are boring. I think each DVC resort has value. They have good and bad points that we seem to detail over and over again. The fights are monotonous.

I think negative criticism is a good thing and a valuable tool for a potential buyer into DVC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter