It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year – an offsite, non-Disney, Christmas TR

Can you believe I was stupid enough to PERM my hair back then? :scared: I still have no idea what I was thinking (or why someone didn't stop me!!).

There was no one to stop you. We were all doing it, too! (I was a devotee of perms in high school. Class of 1990!)

Your reviews are terrific, Gina. Thanks for all the ideas for our next trip complete with costs, too.

I've spent a ton of time looking at houses and condos in FL. In the end decided that I can rent as many weeks a year as I want in gorgeous timeshare resorts for far less than the cost of ownership. The biggest bonus is no responsibility. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've rented at the Grande Vista for as little as $200/week up to $540/week.
We were lucky enough to have been gifted a timeshare 20 years ago (thank you inlaws!) at Lake Ozark MO that has great trading power and some of the lowest maintenance fees in the country-we traded for Grande Vista in 2014 and I LOVE that resort-only regret is we didn't plan a down day to hang more at the pool. Although 2015 was second time we've stayed at Marriott Sabal Palms (1st since world center reno) and that may take top spot simply for amenities at Marriott World Center now-slides, huge pool with waterfall...

What an awesome Christmas Day!!! The Shamu stage looks absolutely beautiful!

And oh yes-days of big hair, big curls...and lots and lots of hairspray! Now I run to my hair stylist to cover grays:)

It took me 3 days, but I am all caught up! :goodvibes Absolutely incredible trip report. You are making me want to get a season pass to my local 6 flags, that has a wild animal park and aquarium attached to it. Fantastic job!

Great day at Seaworld! Thanks for the report, very interesting, seemed magical for sure :goodvibes
Always a bummer going home but glad you guys are going to try to make the best of it!

We were lucky enough to have been gifted a timeshare 20 years ago (thank you inlaws!) at Lake Ozark MO that has great trading power and some of the lowest maintenance fees in the country-we traded for Grande Vista in 2014 and I LOVE that resort-only regret is we didn't plan a down day to hang more at the pool. Although 2015 was second time we've stayed at Marriott Sabal Palms (1st since world center reno) and that may take top spot simply for amenities at Marriott World Center now-slides, huge pool with waterfall...

And oh yes-days of big hair, big curls...and lots and lots of hairspray! Now I run to my hair stylist to cover grays:)
The first time we stayed at the Grande Vista it was for 2 weeks. We spent many days at the pool. That trip solidified the fact that we much prefer a resort vacation. Owning our own vacation home really would not make me happy. Renting timeshares is the perfect compromise.

I was lighting a cigarette inside the bank and lit my own hair on fire.

Good grief woman, you're younger than I am (aren't you?). They haven't allowed smoking in banks in Ontario in how many years??

A wonderful end to your Christmas Day :goodvibes

I don't know how you get out so quick on your last day, we tend to get up (not so early) pack suitcases, pack the car and then finally manage to get out for a late lunch! I always ask for a late check out from the condo.

As you may recall I too have the frizzy hair ( the tresemme was a good recommendation ) and also permed it for a while when I was at school :confused3 Now I try and straighten those curls out!

Late check-outs aren't available at the Vistana, unfortunately (otherwise we would gladly request and pay for it!). Its out by 10 whether you want to be or not!! We've become pretty good at maximizing our efficiency the night before check-out to minimize the crazies on the morning of.

There was no one to stop you. We were all doing it, too! (I was a devotee of perms in high school. Class of 1990!)

Your reviews are terrific, Gina. Thanks for all the ideas for our next trip complete with costs, too.

Thank you for the kind comments!! :goodvibes So glad to have you reading along! :welcome:

Ha ha! Me too.....a "therapy session" with my stylist every six weeks. I went completely gray (or dare I even say white? :rolleyes2) after my brain tumor was removed in 1998. Doctors said it was a result of the trauma of the surgery. I refuse to age gracefully so its to the salon I go :rotfl:.

It took me 3 days, but I am all caught up! :goodvibes Absolutely incredible trip report. You are making me want to get a season pass to my local 6 flags, that has a wild animal park and aquarium attached to it. Fantastic job!

Thank you! And a big :welcome: to you as well!

Great day at Seaworld! Thanks for the report, very interesting, seemed magical for sure :goodvibes
Always a bummer going home but glad you guys are going to try to make the best of it!

We actually had our best going-home day of any vacation so far. Well planned, much enjoyed, and everyone's (ahem! mine! :rolleyes1) remained in check.

The first time we stayed at the Grande Vista it was for 2 weeks. We spent many days at the pool. That trip solidified the fact that we much prefer a resort vacation. Owning our own vacation home really would not make me happy. Renting timeshares is the perfect compromise.

Yeah, I tend to agree. If we ever win Lotto 649, perhaps rather than buying a beachside condo I should just look for 50 more timeshare weeks :scratchin.

December 26th, continued :flower1::

Since the park was so marvellously empty, the boys got right to the task of hitting the rides. Not only were they ALL walk-ons, they were literally almost the only riders in each case :worship:.

They started out with the park’s feature coaster, the Freedom Flyer (where you sit in a seat that is attached to the track at the top, so your feet are hanging as you ride). Both enjoyed it immensely :thumbsup2.

Next on their must-do list was the wooden coaster, White Lightening. The track was super long and spanned the entire side of the theme park.

While the guys satisfied their inner thrill seekers (repeating the coasters a few times each), I poked around the park and checked out some of the other rides that were offered. Each of the other attractions were all staffed, but hardly any of them running yet (but only because there was no one there to ride……they were starting each up as guests arrived and boarded the ride).

Two-level antique carousel:

Some sort of spinny ride (I didn't catch the name....whoops!):

The Rip Curl (which Jake and Steve nicknamed the Rip Hurl :sick: ):

Kids area:

The Scramblur:

Paratrooper:

Ferris wheel:

And bumper boats:

After they had had their fill of the coasters, we all reconvened to ride the bumper cars together (also a walk on each time!) but somehow, I missed capturing a photo. Was too busy trying to chase my fellows in my car :drive:.

Fun Spot offers four separate and distinct go-kart tracks, unlimited use of each which was included in our all-day wristbands. The boys were super eager to get behind the wheel and see who’s superior driving abilities would prove them the ultimate go kart champion.

I think Steve ended up nudging ahead of Jake on each of the tracks :car: ….not by much, but enough to make him heave a little sigh of relief (so far this trip, Jake had been outperforming him on both the mini golf course and at the bowling alley…..so his Dad ego needed this boost!).

It was blazingly hot by this point in the day, and we were a bit worried about becoming dehydrated in the humidity (not something we wanted before our plane ride home), so we stopped and purchased one of their souvenir refillable drink cups for $5.99. It was less expensive to buy one refillable and share than to purchase three separate beverages, plus we would have the ability to refill later on at our convenience. And hey, we only had a SeaWorld souvenir cup and three Christmas Celebration hot chocolate mugs to tote home (to join our Disney refillable mugs, the Universal refillable cup, the Aquatica refillable popcorn bucket……) so why not one more!

We still had a lot to conquer before breaking for lunch. There was another attraction in the park that we were all eager to explore……

The food itself was fine….nothing spectacular,
:scared1: All across the southeast US, legions of chick fil a fans are flabbergasted... While I could probably live without chick fil a, I don't try. Especially for their yummy yummy breakfast biscuits. Never tried the platter... May have to check that out.

:sunny: (I still haven't figured out what had we done to deserve another entire trip of perfect, sunny skies and warm temperatures...that was some pretty sweet karma)
Maybe... Documenting all your trips and tips with photos and reports for hordes of adoring internet fans? Or at least some grateful Disers? Just a thought :D

Wow, Gina, your Fun Spot pictures take me waaaayyyy back. We used to take our girls there when the Entertainment Books had a BOGO wristband offer and they always loved it. Haven't been there since 2000 (I think). Maybe when our WDW APs expire and we activate our US/IOA APs, we'll give Fun Spot a visit. Sure looks like fun.

When I saw you walking into Shamu Stadium we were also coming from the ice skating show (which we also loved.) There was a ton of people all around and it would have been easier to walk right into the stadium, but I asked my kids to walk a little out of the way on this side lighted path (it just looked so pretty.) No one else was doing this and it empty, but when we got near the end of the path there you were taking pictures of the path. I thought how nice it was that someone else thought it looked so pretty/taking photos of it and then thought you looked familiar. I went back and forth for a minute on if this was really you (I had recently read your trip reports/saw your pics) and what sealed it for me was looking up ahead while still walking and I saw your 2 tall boys in the crowd and then knew it was in fact you. My son was mortified that I said hello (being 12 I'm guessing this is typical lol) and when we met my husband and daughter after the show he told them all about it. That's part of my job right- to keep him on his toes and somewhat embarrassed ;) Anyway, it was great running into you. How funny I would see you in that massive crowd. Hope I didn't throw you totally off guard when I said hi!
And I agree with the Miracles show; it was very touching and had me a bit teary. The saxophone player was amazing. And you didn't miss much with the Elmo show...it was perfect for a 6 and 1 year old.

How much was the groupon for the fun spot?
Reminds me a bit of the fairs around here.

She just had another birthday. There have been so many that I can't remember but lets just say she is somewhere between diapers and a Walmart greeter.

Considering the average Walmart greeter seems to be about 70, that would make her about 35. Jeez, how old are YOU?!?!
December 26th, continued :flower1::
They started out with the park’s feature coaster, the Freedom Flyer (where you sit in a seat that is attached to the track at the top, so your feet are hanging as you ride). Both enjoyed it immensely :thumbsup2.
2015_1227orlandoxmas0041_zpspcypkzmd.jpg
Yes, but were they brave (er, stupid?) enough to try the Sky Coaster seen in the background here? I love coasters, but anything that hurls me through the air on a rubber band is not on my "To Do" list.

Some sort of spinny ride (I didn't catch the name....whoops!):
That's the Tilt a Whirl

Loving all those classic exhibition rides. I could totally spend an afternoon doing this!

Fun Spot offers four separate and distinct go-kart tracks, unlimited use of each which was included in our all-day wristbands. The boys were super eager to get behind the wheel and see who’s superior driving abilities would prove them the ultimate go kart champion.

This was one of my favorite Orlando father/son moments. DS did the Tomorrowland Speedway and thought it was great. I had a hard time staying awake - it is soooo slooooow. So I just HAD the brain flash to take him for some "real" driving, and we stumbled across Fun Spot in Kissimmee. Well that 4 storey helix and massive drop at the end put a smile on his face about as wide as Texas. And it was all I could do to stop the kid from lapping me he was zipping around so quick; of course he was just tall enough to drive, and about a quarter of my weight, so it was almost like running his cart empty.
:scared1: All across the southeast US, legions of chick fil a fans are flabbergasted... While I could probably live without chick fil a, I don't try. Especially for their yummy yummy breakfast biscuits. Never tried the platter... May have to check that out.

Maybe... Documenting all your trips and tips with photos and reports for hordes of adoring internet fans? Or at least some grateful Disers? Just a thought :D

I was sure to put in a good word with the big weather guy for you Gina!

I keep thinking that the chain should be Canadian - after all it's Chick fil eh!

Good grief woman, you're younger than I am (aren't you?). They haven't allowed smoking in banks in Ontario in how many years??

Yeah, I tend to agree. If we ever win Lotto 649, perhaps rather than buying a beachside condo I should just look for 50 more timeshare weeks :scratchin.

No, I'm older...47. The bank incident was when I was a teenager. I was probably getting money out to buy records.

If I won 6/49 I'd be buying a LUX house on a waterway in Miami or Key West. Now I currently have the winning ticket for tonight's Lotto Max so I'm going to shop for a house in Malibu, CA. It's probably going to take the entire 60 million since it's only worth about a buck fifty American.

Last edited:
I sooooo agree. I dream of Chick-fil-A. The closes one that we can get to is a 3 hour drive.....and yes, we have made the drive.

We went to funspot on our trip last March. We didn't do the all day pass, but the boys really wanted to go on the Go Carts. They have some great tracks and ds11 just loved it.
I'm feeling the last day of vacation blues just reading about your last day Gina! I actually prefer an earlier flight home these days. I used to like to stretch the vacation to the bitter end until I realized we just moped all day. It's best for my group to get up and go. The only affordable non-stops for our return flight on our next trip were Sunday at 6:50 a.am.:scared: or Sunday at at 9:50 p.m:rolleyes:. 6:50 is ugly early to be on a plane.So we'll have a check out day to plan to keep us busy too.

We went to funspot on our trip last March. We didn't do the all day pass, but the boys really wanted to go on the Go Carts. They have some great tracks and ds11 just loved it.
I'm feeling the last day of vacation blues just reading about your last day Gina! I actually prefer an earlier flight home these days. I used to like to stretch the vacation to the bitter end until I realized we just moped all day. It's best for my group to get up and go. The only affordable non-stops for our return flight on our next trip were Sunday at 6:50 a.am.:scared: or Sunday at at 9:50 p.m:rolleyes:. 6:50 is ugly early to be on a plane.So we'll have a check out day to plan to keep us busy too.
We're on the 10:10pm flight home next month. No idea how that's going work out. Given the choice we like to fly home around noonish.

What is that giant arch at Fun Spot? We just arrived and it is light up in green but have no idea what it is for. We also saw the Eye all lit up in red tonight.

lol, Chick-fil-a wasn't bad, honest!! :o It was just not fabulous. But, part of our lack of enthusiasm was surely because (a) it was departure day, which makes us all a little blah at the best of times, and (b) we had eaten so much all week that food of ANY kind was lacking a lot of appeal. Perhaps if we had visited at the beginning of our vacation rather than the end, we would have had a much different opinion!!

As for the Disboards karma....ya know, I'm just so plumb grateful that you guys all stick around to read my babble and indulge me in retelling some of our favourite moments in Orlando. In the years where we were Florida virgins, we receive SO much help and good advice from the kind folks on these boards, I vowed that someday I would return the favour if at all possible. It's such a great community here! :goodvibes

Wow, Gina, your Fun Spot pictures take me waaaayyyy back. We used to take our girls there when the Entertainment Books had a BOGO wristband offer and they always loved it. Haven't been there since 2000 (I think). Maybe when our WDW APs expire and we activate our US/IOA APs, we'll give Fun Spot a visit. Sure looks like fun.

It was a surprisingly good time....better than we had anticipated! I don't know what we were expecting, really, but for the price we paid, it was a really good value. And with so few people there, it was quite a cool experience!

When I saw you walking into Shamu Stadium we were also coming from the ice skating show (which we also loved.) There was a ton of people all around and it would have been easier to walk right into the stadium, but I asked my kids to walk a little out of the way on this side lighted path (it just looked so pretty.) No one else was doing this and it empty, but when we got near the end of the path there you were taking pictures of the path. I thought how nice it was that someone else thought it looked so pretty/taking photos of it and then thought you looked familiar. I went back and forth for a minute on if this was really you (I had recently read your trip reports/saw your pics) and what sealed it for me was looking up ahead while still walking and I saw your 2 tall boys in the crowd and then knew it was in fact you. My son was mortified that I said hello (being 12 I'm guessing this is typical lol) and when we met my husband and daughter after the show he told them all about it. That's part of my job right- to keep him on his toes and somewhat embarrassed ;) Anyway, it was great running into you. How funny I would see you in that massive crowd. Hope I didn't throw you totally off guard when I said hi!
And I agree with the Miracles show; it was very touching and had me a bit teary. The saxophone player was amazing. And you didn't miss much with the Elmo show...it was perfect for a 6 and 1 year old.

Awe, that's so funny about your son!! :laughing: When I caught back up with Steve and Jake, they asked where I had disappeared to for a few moments. I told them about our chance encounter, and Jake raised an eyebrow at me. "You know that's weird, don't you Mom? That people recognize you out of the blue, when we're 3000 kilometers from home?". I said well, I don't find it weird at all :confused:. Actually, I think its kind of cool! To which he signed deeply and said "Of course you don't. Let me guess....this is going in your next trip report?". He knows me well :teeth: .

I was thrilled that you took the time to say hello. Thrown off, yes....but only because it was totally unexpected at that moment, in all those people. But very happy to meet you, even if only briefly!

How much was the groupon for the fun spot?
Reminds me a bit of the fairs around here.

We paid $33.25 each for the unlimited wristbands through Groupon. Admission is regularly $51.95 pp. I know they are being offered on Groupon again right now for $38. You are correct, some of the rides are definitely the type you would enjoy at an old-fashioned country fair!

Yes, but were they brave (er, stupid?) enough to try the Sky Coaster seen in the background here? I love coasters, but anything that hurls me through the air on a rubber band is not on my "To Do" list.

Dear God, no!! :scared: The guys like thrills, but there are always limits. This definitely exceeds it. Plus, I'm guessing there must be a weight maximum for this thing, and probably my Steve would exceed that :rolleyes1 . They both vetoed the mechanical bull at the Kissimmee location later that day.....but you'll have to wait for more on that :surfweb: .

No, I'm older...47. The bank incident was when I was a teenager. I was probably getting money out to buy records.

If I won 6/49 I'd be buying a LUX house on a waterway in Miami or Key West. Now I currently have the winning ticket for tonight's Lotto Max so I'm going to shop for a house in Malibu, CA. It's probably going to take the entire 60 million since it's only worth about a buck fifty American.

I'll be invited to the house warming party, right? :flower3:

And I'll be darned that you're my elder. I definitely didn't see that coming :scratchin .

I sooooo agree. I dream of Chick-fil-A. The closes one that we can get to is a 3 hour drive.....and yes, we have made the drive.

Is there not one in Buffalo? That surprises me!

We have had those later flights for the last few trips now. Just the way things worked out, not really what we had been aiming for. But for April, we fly home at 10:30 am, so we'll need to be at the airport by 8:30-ish.....which is going to feel strange after three straight late afternoon or evening departures!! The nice thing, though, is that we'll be home (and by home, I mean HOME....at our house, not just back in Canada) by early evening. Nicer than having to crash for another night in Niagara like the last couple of vacations.

We're on the 10:10pm flight home next month. No idea how that's going work out. Given the choice we like to fly home around noonish.

Yikes, that's going to be one late night (or shall I say early morning) for you. Will you still drive home or will you bunk in Buffalo until morning?

What is that giant arch at Fun Spot? We just arrived and it is light up in green but have no idea what it is for. We also saw the Eye all lit up in red tonight.

Pretty sure its the slingshot ride that you're seeing ::yes:: .

I am glad you have arrived safely!! How's the weather? Warm or cool?

I use to hate the long drive home after flying home late at night....we usually decided to fly out of a larger airport to save money. Thankfully now when we fly since I've moved, its not as bad. I usually just have the drive to my sisters to get my car, and then home. Takes about an hour to 90 minutes.

I'll be invited to the house warming party, right? :flower3:
You can come house shopping with me.

And I'll be darned that you're my elder. I definitely didn't see that coming :scratchin .
Elder???? Barely :duck:

Is there not one in Buffalo? That surprises me!
No...Erie, PA. Makes for a good shopping weekend as there is no tax on clothes and shoes in PA. Although, it's doubtful there will be any shopping weekends in the year or so to come.....darn loonie.

Yikes, that's going to be one late night (or shall I say early morning) for you. Will you still drive home or will you bunk in Buffalo until morning?
No kidding. I've never had a flight into BUF past about 5pm. Arrived into YYZ many, many times between midnight and 2am but it's never been any big deal....grab the bags and then outside to a cab and home in 20 minutes. Amazing how fast the cab drivers will speed along at 2am. As in death defying.

That's the night we will stay at the Aloft. There is no way that I'm driving home at that time. DD will pass out once the car gets rolling so I would be on my own. I just need to sort out parking for while we are away. The hotel is booked on points so I'm going to call and ask them what they would charge me to leave my car there. It would be nice to just get on the shuttle after the flight and go to the hotel rather than going to get the car and then going to the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter