Is your trip still going ahead?

GirlDreamer

DIS Veteran
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
If you're meant to go this year, what are you planning to do about your trip? Are you still going, or cancelling or waiting to see what's going to happen?

Me and DH have a trip planned in September and we've already booked our flights with Virgin. I'm not sure what to do at the moment. I kind of feel like if we were able to get back all of our money I might have cancelled now just to know for sure if our trip is going ahead or not. But I think I'll at least wait and see how things goes and if WDWTC will extend the dates they'll fully refund for. If they change the dates to cover our dates I'll check if we would be able to cancel our flights with a full refund as well.
 

jf256

Mouseketeer
Joined
Oct 20, 2018
When are you going in September? Just out of interest? We are going from 17 - 3rd october.

We booked with Ocean Florida and our last possible cancellation date without losing 50 percent is 20th June which also payment due date for DCL.

I called on Friday to just scope out what our options where and was told date changes will be free. No mention about dining plan or anything else though. But..we are still hopeful. Just booked our ADRs and we will just see what the deal is in June.

So options we are looking at;

1) Cancel Completely and go to DLP for a few days instead if we can travel but US ban still in force.
2) Cancel the cruise - if cruises do not look like a good option and book cabana bay for a few nights.
3) Go along with it and hope for the best.
4) Change dates to next year and hope we get a good deal.
 


Welsh_Dragon

DIS Veteran
Joined
Feb 23, 2019
We are due to fly out on 30 June. Flights with BA, WDW resort booked through US TA, APs which expire early in September. We are waiting and hoping, but if we cannot fly in June, I think that we will wait until June 2021. WDW have extended the validity of U.K. 2020, 7,14 and 21 day tickets until 30 September 2021 so I wonder whether they will offer an extension to overseas AP holders (beyond adding on the number of days the parks are closed), particularly if you can show that you had a resort reservation. Wishful thinking and I can’t really think of any particularly good reason why overseas AP holders should be treated differently than local AP holders.
 
  • GirlDreamer

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 16, 2011
    When are you going in September? Just out of interest? We are going from 17 - 3rd october.

    We booked with Ocean Florida and our last possible cancellation date without losing 50 percent is 20th June which also payment due date for DCL.
    We're going Sept 2nd - 23rd. Is it because of the cruise part you might loose 50% if you don't cancel that early? I'm sure I saw in the terms that I can cancel with a WDW package up to 8 days before departure and only loose £50 pp.

    I'm also not sure wether it's best to pay the balance before cancelling as I saw someone on FB posting that Martin Lewis had said you've got more rights if your holiday is paid in full. My balance is due in July.
     

    jf256

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Oct 20, 2018
    No the cruise we cancel later as we booked with disney direct. It is because of Ocean Floridas terms and conditions. Have learnt my lesson next time I will book direct with Disney and use my AMEX card for extra protection.
     

    jf256

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Oct 20, 2018
    Unfortunately we lose a whopping £860 deposit aswell even if we cancel it earlier.

    Just feel like it is better to wait and see and claim off of insurance if we need to. If FCO advises against it we are fully covered. But It is such a difficult decision if everything is shut or significantly reduced except the hotel.. well do i want to spend almost £10,000 and only get 1/4 of the experience.

    Luckily we are in a position where I am being fully paid at the moment and my SO is still working gas industry so essential worker..and he is busier than ever.. so we can afford to wait it out and dont desperately need the money now.
     

    Aurynn

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jun 13, 2011
    We were due to fly out on April 24th. We rescheduled to September last week. It was the last time we could reschedule for fall 2020 and keep our free QSD.

    I think we’ll still wait and see because who knows when things go back to ‘normal’ but we really wanted to visit this year. Fingers crossed it’ll happen and be safe.
     
  • GirlDreamer

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 16, 2011
    Just feel like it is better to wait and see and claim off of insurance if we need to. If FCO advises against it we are fully covered. But It is such a difficult decision if everything is shut or significantly reduced except the hotel.. well do i want to spend almost £10,000 and only get 1/4 of the experience.
    Unfortunately I don't have insurance yet :( That's a lesson I've had to learn. The last few years we've been doing annual travel insurance as I'm from Norway, so I tend to travel several times a year to visit family. Currently we only have cover for Europe though, which is due to expire the next month or so, so we were going to upgrade to include USA when we were due for renewal. I won't do that any more though, from now on I'll book single trip insurance as soon as the holiday is booked. I can't even get travel insurance now. I just hope that if worse comes to worst all of my booking will be refunded. We've also booked Cirque de Soleil, a coach trip to the beach and a day trip to the Everglades and Miami,
     

    Welsh_Dragon

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Feb 23, 2019
    I think that even if you had worldwide insurance, you would still be playing a waiting game, waiting to see whether the US opens its borders and/or the FCO lifts the Advisories. Do you travel under a British or Norwegian passport?
     

    alanandline

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Mar 13, 2019
    We are booked to go 13th Aug 17 nights. Disney final payment due mid June. Will travel be allowed by then? Who knows. My current thinking is I don’t want to go either way, I just cannot see it being safe. The problem is I’m already in for about £4.5k. But I budget about £4K for a normal years holidays so could write that off and to some extent in my mind have.

    The problem is when to plan to go again. I prefer to go end of Aug as the Floridians back at school. Next year my son has A level results, which if same Thursday as this year could just squeeze the holiday in, but still a gamble. The next year my daughter has GCSE results making that year out. After that I just do not yet know if need to be here for my son and his planned University degree of being a doctor. Is there some annual results required to move to next year etc. My guess is if don’t gamble on next year would be 2023. I guess the benefit to that could be new Universal park could be opened by then, but that might mean giving up one of my Disney days!

    But above all let’s hope we all stay safe and all our loved ones do too. The money is not important at this time.
     
  • Welsh_Dragon

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Feb 23, 2019
    It is so difficult isn’t it? Would there be any advantage in trying to book your same WDW resort through a US travel agent and then cancelling your UK booking now? WDW US have far more relaxed cancellation policies which would enable you to delay making a final decision.
    The credit notes the airlines are offering only seem to be valid until December 2020 but WDW has extended the validity of U.K. 2020, 7,14 and 21 day tickets until 30 September 2021.

    The published A level results day in 2021 is Thursday, 12 August.
    I wonder whether this crisis will prompt a complete rehaul of the examination system and encourage UCAS/Universities not to make offers until results are published.
     

    alanandline

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Mar 13, 2019
    It is so difficult isn’t it? Would there be any advantage in trying to book your same WDW resort through a US travel agent and then cancelling your UK booking now? WDW US have far more relaxed cancellation policies which would enable you to delay making a final decision.
    The credit notes the airlines are offering only seem to be valid until December 2020 but WDW has extended the validity of U.K. 2020, 7,14 and 21 day tickets until 30 September 2021.

    The published A level results day in 2021 is Thursday, 12 August.
    I wonder whether this crisis will prompt a complete rehaul of the examination system and encourage UCAS/Universities not to make offers until results are published.
    Thx for the A level date, I couldn’t find it anywhere.

    We have UK free dining so really it’s a decision of pay or not. If the airline (Lufthansa) have to cancel the flight whatever they say about 2020 credit notes they have no choice but to give the money back under EU regulations. The airlines are trying to get away with credit notes and offering rebooking to keep the cash to help them stay afloat. If they said they’d all a booking now for next year then I’d happily let them keep the cash and take my chance, it was paid by credit card so I’d have section 75 protection if they went bust, but I cannot see the German government allowing their national airline to go to the wall.

    i might try emailing Lufthansa and offer them moving the booking to next year, saying I’ve decided not to go would they like the insurance that if the flight gets cancelled they get to keep my money by moving the booking now. We’d both win this way, if they decline they are still gambling on having to pay me back.
     

    PaulaSB12

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Oct 7, 2005
    It’s going to take months for Disney to get back the normal. Considering how many restraints are third party owned and many of their staff was let go, the international performers are gone. Plus how many cast members will come back ? I will cancel this year and wait until next year (magic kingdoms 50th anniversery) to go back.
     

    JordanClark9

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Jun 1, 2018
    I also have a trip planned from UK in September. Don't have any intention of cancelling until at least August. UK/US have been in this horrible situation for just a few weeks but it feels like much longer. A LOT can change in 6 months.
     

    GirlDreamer

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 16, 2011
    I think that even if you had worldwide insurance, you would still be playing a waiting game, waiting to see whether the US opens its borders and/or the FCO lifts the Advisories. Do you travel under a British or Norwegian passport?
    I'm travelling on a Norwegian passport. Even though I'm not sure how much travel insurance would have helped in my case, it's taught me that anything could happen so it's best to book the insurance as soon as the holiday is booked.
     

    alanandline

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Mar 13, 2019
    I'm travelling on a Norwegian passport. Even though I'm not sure how much travel insurance would have helped in my case, it's taught me that anything could happen so it's best to book the insurance as soon as the holiday is booked.
    I do not see on what passport you travel matters
     

    Welsh_Dragon

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Feb 23, 2019
    As far as I know, it doesn't matter. Someone asked me which passport I'm travelling with, so I was simply answering them :)
    I just wondered whether you would be impacted by US bans on U.K. passport holders/U.K FCO Advisories and/or US bans on Norwegian passport holders/the Norwegian equivalent of the FCO.
    At the outset President Trump differentiated between the U.K. and Schengen countries.
    Nothing sinister... although I recall ‘curiosity killed the cat’😂😉.
     

    scottishgirl1

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Jul 19, 2010
    We are due to travel 22nd June, flights fully paid with United who are offering to issue vouchers for flights up to 31st May at present. Not even really interested in that option as kids will all be at uni in next year and we will have too many unknown date commitments with exams, graduations, etc. Just dont see us travelling as a group of 5 again.
    Rest of holiday is free dining with WDTC and the balance is due 29th April. If we dont pay and the flights go in June we would have no accommodation, tickets, dining etc.it is a lot of money to pay out though with all the uncertainty.

    We have the annual travel insurance issue as well been renewing it for years but of course the renewal date is in May:oops:
     





    Connect

    Disney News and Updates





    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.






    Top