Is TSA pre-check worth it?

This happened to me today in Milwaukee, they handed me a card to hand to the officer so I didn't have to remove shoes, pull out electronics, quart bag, etc but I still went through the same line as everyone without precheck.
I've never had that happen at Milwaukee, and I've taken some 0600 flights that meant I was going through security at 0445. From what I've been told it's usually smaller airports like Appleton or Madison that have this happen.

I've never had that happen at Milwaukee, and I've taken some 0600 flights that meant I was going through security at 0445. From what I've been told it's usually smaller airports like Appleton or Madison that have this happen.
I was surprised!
It was the same physical line I went through last time with Pre-Check.
Maybe the other line was busier and they were trying to move people through? Didn't look overly busy though, the line started almost up to the first officer. It wasn't an extended queue or anything.

Can someone describe the process of getting TSA Precheck-in detail? Is this just an electronic application? What is the interview? Are they doing these remotely? Where? Cost? Can my wife and I arrange to go together to the interview? How long does the interview take? How long to be approved? Can we just do this at the airport while on our way to a trip (i.e. knock this out in 10' with instant approval)?

^^ There are TSA offices at airports (perhaps other places as well) where you can reserve an appointment. Scheduled mine when I was returning from a trip. Make sure you don't show up late for your appointment or you have to wait behind everyone else who just showed up. Interview was fairly brief and their website lists the required documentation you have to bring. Took about 2 weeks to get my approval, I don't believe they happen instantly as they do some sort of background check to verify you qualify.

Took about 2 weeks to get my approval, I don't believe they happen instantly as they do some sort of background check to verify you qualify.
I think it depends on how busy they are. I got my approval in 48 hours back in Nov.

Can someone describe the process of getting TSA Precheck-in detail? Is this just an electronic application? What is the interview? Are they doing these remotely? Where? Cost? Can my wife and I arrange to go together to the interview? How long does the interview take? How long to be approved? Can we just do this at the airport while on our way to a trip (i.e. knock this out in 10' with instant approval)?
This was my experience two years ago when I got Pre. I filled out the online application and selected an interview time from those available, the soonest was about two weeks out. I booked one for me and one for my wife as the next interview time. We went to a private company contracted by DHS called Identogo. The agent brought us both back for our interviews together, basically just verifying the IDs, application and taking a set of fingerprints. We were in and out in about a half hour. Three days later we got our KTIN or Known Traveler Identification Number. Cost is $85 per person. I'm background checked by 4 different organizations annually, and my wife by 2. I don't know if that plays into how short the wait was for us, I've heard of it taking up to 30 days, I've heard of people having their numbers before they get home from the appointment. When I got mine they did not allow interviews at the airports, those were only for those conditionally approved for Global Entry.

Global Entry is a completely different, more in-depth process that costs $100/5 years and allows much faster processing through customs and immigration lines in addition to TSA Pre. That is a much deeper background check and is almost exclusively done at CBP offices in international airports.

You can definitely do it at the airport when you are planning to travel, but in no way should you expect "knock this out in 10' with instant approval". You won't get it on the outbound flight.

However, if the nearest office that takes the application is at an airport that is far from you, then yes, it's possible to get to the airport early to do the processing, and depending on how long you will be gone and how backed up the agency is, you might get your Trusted Traveler number via email before your return flight. (In which case you need to log into your FF account and add it before your check in for the return flight, because it MUST be printed on your boarding pass or you will not be allowed to use the precheck lanes.)

To start with, you fill out a form online to determine if you are generally eligible. Once that is done, it will invite you to make an appointment for the in-person part. The actual in-person processing itself for Pre-Check takes about 10-15 minutes, though if the office is busy you may have to wait to be seen. (In my DD's case, I took her to a local non-airport contract office, and even though we had an appointment, we had to wait for about 45" for the only clerk authorized to process them, because he had been sent elsewhere on an errand.)

As to how it goes, IME, you are taken to a private office where your information cannot be overheard by people in the waiting room. You are asked to walk the tech through filling out your basic address information, DOB, SSN, etc., then they will scan your ID documents and take your fingerprints, then process the fee payment. At the airport offices that DH, DS & I went to, they took walk-ins, but anyone with an on-time appointment got to jump the walk-in line.

There are many office locations other than major airports where they accept applications; you can do a search by zipcode here: https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/programs/precheck

The cost is $85/pp, good for 5 years, and most people pay by Credit card, though I'm sure they take other payment methods. (Some credit cards will rebate the fee; my CapOne Venture card rebated it for everyone in my home.)

This was my experience two years ago when I got Pre. I filled out the online application and selected an interview time from those available, the soonest was about two weeks out. I booked one for me and one for my wife as the next interview time. We went to a private company contracted by DHS called Identogo. The agent brought us both back for our interviews together, basically just verifying the IDs, application and taking a set of fingerprints. We were in and out in about a half hour. Three days later we got our KTIN or Known Traveler Identification Number. Cost is $85 per person.
Our experience was almost identical, except 3 years ago.
I think we had our numbers emailed to use in about 2 or 3 days.
Our daughter did the same thing and her experience was similar.

We had a flight booked for 5/30. We had signed up for TSA pre-check and had an appointment for 5/28. The agent told us 5-6 weeks we should hear something but I had read people were getting their number within 12 hours after processing. Saturday evening I decided to check the status and lo and behold, we had been approved and were assigned numbers. I tried putting the numbers in on our reservation for Allegiant but could not find where to put them on. I wrote the numbers down and when we checked in the next day for our flight, the Agent updated all of our information. I had no problems going through security, but hubby set off the alarm. He had a knee replacement 2 years ago and the TSA agent said that could be the problem. On the return flight home to PA, no issues at all for either of us.

This happened to me today in Milwaukee, they handed me a card to hand to the officer so I didn't have to remove shoes, pull out electronics, quart bag, etc but I still went through the same line as everyone without precheck.

This happened to us @McCarren airport in Vegas as pre ck lines were closed for some reason. The only difference with us was the card was only good for us not having to take off our shoes.....DH still had to take his electronics out of his bag.

This was my experience two years ago when I got Pre. I filled out the online application and selected an interview time from those available, the soonest was about two weeks out. I booked one for me and one for my wife as the next interview time. We went to a private company contracted by DHS called Identogo. The agent brought us both back for our interviews together, basically just verifying the IDs, application and taking a set of fingerprints. We were in and out in about a half hour. Three days later we got our KTIN or Known Traveler Identification Number. Cost is $85 per person.

This was my experience as well, although I had an email with my KTN by the time I got home from my appt.

We signed up for PreCheck this year and will be traveling with our 20 month old to Disney in a couple of weeks. Can anyone offer tips as to what you need to do/not do in PreCheck especially if you're traveling with a bottle of milk/toddler snacks?

We signed up for PreCheck this year and will be traveling with our 20 month old to Disney in a couple of weeks. Can anyone offer tips as to what you need to do/not do in PreCheck especially if you're traveling with a bottle of milk/toddler snacks?
PreCheck liquids rules aren't any different than normal screening.

Keep the milk out, they'll probably want to test it. If by "toddler snacks" you mean solid/crunchy/chewy items, you don't have to do anything special. Leave them in your bag. But if you have applesauce, pouches, or other liquidy items, keep them in a separate plastic bag and try to buy portions that are under 3.4 oz.

Also, I've never seen anyone given a hard time over this, and it's a stupid rule, but TECHNICALLY, the "baby drinks are allowed to be over 3.4 oz" rule only applies to breast milk, formula, and juice. It doesn't apply to cow's milk or water.

@CaptainAmerica Would we have to take my LO out of his stroller? Also, thanks for the all the info. I will only bring solid snacks then and just buy milk/water at the airport. I think I can bring gel ice packs in my carryon back right?

@CaptainAmerica Would we have to take my LO out of his stroller? Also, thanks for the all the info. I will only bring solid snacks then and just buy milk/water at the airport. I think I can bring gel ice packs in my carryon back right?
Yes, the stroller itself will have to be scanned so baby comes out and stroller goes on the belt. Ice packs are okay as long as they're frozen solid. If they're melted, you need to put them in your liquids bag.

Yes, yes. A thousand times yes.
I traveled to Maui in May and Kauai in June with another adult who wasn't pre-check. I decided to go through the regular line once with them because it seemed to me to be the nice thing to do -- and only did it that once. The non-pre-check lines took twice as long to get through each time. I was waiting and waiting for my friend for about 10-15 minutes each time that we had to go through security. So if you can get pre-check easily, get pre-check!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter