Is TSA pre-check worth it?

Yes! I put off getting it for a long time because I’m cheap but finally got it in 2019 and it is so much better.

It's valid for five years, so even if you only travel once a year, ask yourself if, in the moment, you'd pay ~$15 to skip the big line at security, not take out a laptop, leave shoes on, etc.

Yes. We’ve had it since 2015 and just not having to remove shoes and things from your carryons makes it worth it alone. Most times we just walk through security and the longest we’ve waited is about 15 minutes and that was when the regular line was 45-60 minutes long. If you plan to travel internationally, consider Global Entry, which comes with pre-check.

We love it. I got it initially because it was free with a travel perks credit card. But, once I had it, we invested for the rest of the family. I swear I'd do it just so I don't have to take off my stupid shoes. Part of my ritual before pre-check was planning out what shoes to wear to fly so it would be easier going through security. Pre-pandemic days we used to fly 2-3 times a year so the cost per use made it a no-brainer for us.

So worth it! I got it in 2018 after a particularly bad experience at Security at MCO. The line was over an hour and moved painfully slow until they opened more lanes, but would not allow those already assigned a line to move over to the new ones. So the people behind us in line all got through before us. Yeah - angry barely begins to describe my feelings. Went home and announced we were getting TSA Pre Check and started the process.

It $85 for 5 years, so I look at it as my $17 per year fastpass through the Orlando International airport nightmare. I also fly out of LAX a lot and it definitely helps there too. But I seriously mostly got it for Orlando.

SO worth it. And if you travel internationally even occasionally, get Global Entry, which includes TSA Pre. Also bear in mind that quite a few credit cards will give you a credit for the fee for TSA Pre or Global Entry.

Really? That's good info to know. Do you happen to know which ones? I'm going to call my cards benefit services to see if they offer it - thanks for posting this!

If you fly more then 1-2 times per year it is certainly worth it. You just never know how long the regular security screening lines might be. Screening is faster, you don't have to take off your shoes or coat, etc. partly due to the fact you are considered less of a risk since you had to go through the TSA pre-check process to get approved. My experience has also been that those who travel frequently tend to have pre-check and are more familiar with the screening routine. Therefore, you are less likely to get someone in front of you who has NO idea what they are supposed to do for security screening, what is allowed/isn't, etc. making the line move VERY slowly. Some very small airports may not have a separate pre-check line usually due to a small volume of travelers, but all of the major airports usually do.

Absolutely worth it especially if you have kids under 13. When we came home from MCO 3 weeks ago, the regular security lines were very long. We got through in 8 minutes and I didn't have to do anything but put our bags on the belt.

Yes. We love it. We fly to Boston and Orlando most and both of those airports can tend to have long lines.

If you travel internationally consider global entry.
If you don't have a credit card which reimburses the fee consider applying for one. Those cards typically have an annual fee. The reimbursement for GE or TSA pre is probably close to the annual fee for the card. You'll pocket the sign up bonus

Well, it's been covered, but YES! And I agree that if you have any international travel planned (which I DID last year 😞), get the Global Entry as it will give you Pre-check too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter