Is this a bad idea... Intentionally buying away from our intended home resort?

Imurhuckleberry

Earning My Ears
We're new to the dvc scene, having just started considering purchase as our son turned 3. I've been doing a TON of research and understand the importance of buying where you intend to stay.

I have an idea and am wondering if it's good or bad (or worse)...

We go to Hawaii every year and stay on Oahu for 3-5 days (then island hop). That would make AUL the obvious choice right?

Fyi, we would plan to stay in a 1 bdrm. Only going for the studio or hotel if necessary. And we plan to buy resale, not direct.

What I've read is that AUL is always available at 7 months. And it's the Orlando resorts that book quickly at 11 months

We will absolutely go to Disney World Orlando sometimes. Maybe every 2 or 3 years.

So, is it better to buy at somewhere like SSR, where per point and maintenence costs are lower? Then use those pts at 7 months for AUL? Or do we just buy AUL and take our chances for an Orlando property at 7 months?

Availability at 7 months largely depends on when you go, it can vary a lot.
At Aulani, except a few weeks a year, "something" is often available, especially in 1BR, but that can mean the more costly ocean view rooms. You might spend a bit more in MF; but if you plan to go to Aulani often, over time being able to book a cheaper category will save money in the long term (unless you actually want an ocean view room). And there are also unicorns at Aulani, I mean the subsidized contracts, not easy to find, but they have much cheaper MF.
Orlando is quite competitive, but SSR, which you plan to buy, is often available, if not always. However sometime standard view may be gone at 7 months. Lately it has been a bit more competitive than usual, even at SSR, but that's because of the Covid long tail (extra points in the system due to the closures and pent up demand), but once the situation stabilizes, SSR at 7 months should be possible 99% of the time. The fact that other resorts are very difficult to get at 7 months doesn't affect your choice, if the alternative to Aulani is SSR, you'd have 11 months priority only at SSR.

Availability at 7 months largely depends on when you go, it can vary a lot.
Oops, forgot that part. We plan to vacation mid June so we don't disrupt our sons school schedule. But I imagine all of summer is on the table

if the alternative to Aulani is SSR, you'd have 11 months priority only at SSR.
Good point. SSR was just a low MF example. Any Orlando property is an option really

And totally forgot about the AUL unicorns, thanks!

There are many Orlando properties, so your chances of getting a 1 bedroom at 7 months somewhere are pretty good if you don't care which resort you are at. OTOH, there is only one property on Hawaii, so if the room you want is booked at 7 months, there are no alternatives other than waitlisting. So if that is your normal vacation spot, I would definitely buy there.

If Aulani stays are 3-5 days per year, how many days are your WDW stays every 2-3 years? Also how far in advance do you typically plan your vacations to Hawaii? to WDW?

Seems like you're a perfect candidate for an Aulani subsidized contract. It's going to be cheaper in the long run over SSR. The only thing more expensive about Aulani are the closing costs when buying (unless you get them paid) and the tax when you sell.

If Aulani stays are 3-5 days per year, how many days are your WDW stays every 2-3 years? Also how far in advance do you typically plan your vacations to Hawaii? to WDW?
WDW stays are TBD but I'm guessing those will be the full 7 day stay

Hawaii is planned out ~1 year in advance normally (covid notwithstanding). We'd know that we're doing a WDW trip on the same timeline but could book it much closer to the date as it's an easy trip for us (east coast). Bottom line, we're planners but also like having flexible, last minute vaca's sometimes

IMO, go with Aulani as that is the trip you plan to do regularly. Something will be available at 7 months in 1 bedrooms, traveling in June.

I would look into timeshare laws for Hawaii before purchasing. Not exactly sure the difference but my understanding is that purchasing a timeshare based in Florida is better. Obviously lots of people buy Aulani so it may not be a big deal, but it’s best to know what you are getting into before you make such a major purchase.

As for SAP, SSR is a good one as the contract duration and price per point are really good. The price has gone up some so it may not be the best deal around anymore, but it’s still a decent value. Perhaps a VGF resale would be good to have, as the price has dropped due to it being available direct now? Longer contract than SSR and lower dues would mitigate the higher upfront cost.

FWIW you would only get an Aulani hotel room on points owning AUL and booking at 11 months. There are 8 units.

At 7 months mid-June you would likely get a 1BR OV or maybe a middle view, but even in a 1BR Standard View would be unlikely.

I wouldn't buy a timeshare in Hawaii at all. I looked into buying subsidized Aulani points, and decided that I did not care for how Hawaii operates in general, regarding owners. I also had issues with Hawaii probate and decided I would stick to Florida.

Aulani as a hotel might be very nice. As a timeshare, it has a troubled past and is still not sold out a decade later. In that sense, it isn't like buying good, old fashioned SSR.

AUL has strange booking patterns. It does have peak seasons and rooms that require Aulani points. Even then, I would rather rent Aulani points, which is quite easy. If you're not traveling peak, Aulani can be one of the only use of points in distress --because WDW is booked solid-- and you can really get a deal. There are many other competitive timeshares all over Hawaii with companies that are actually focused on Hawaii. You can rent rooms from owners in those systems as well. This isn't like WDW where Disney is the only game in town.

I wouldn't buy into DVC, or any other Hawaii timeshare system, until I was really sure I was committed to that resort system. The way to do that would be to try a lot of them. DVC is not going anywhere. DVC is one of the most expensive, and the Aulani point charts are really high. It lacks amenities that a lot of other systems don't, and those may or may not matter to you. I wouldn't lock that in unless I really meant it and knew what the competitors were.

I would still suggest the buy where you want to stay approach unless you don't care where you stay. In your case, you are limited to 1 property with limited rooms. i wouldn't want to gamble being able to get a room at 7 months.

I would still suggest the buy where you want to stay approach unless you don't care where you stay. In your case, you are limited to 1 property with limited rooms. i wouldn't want to gamble being able to get a room at 7 months.
I totally agree. If you know you really want to stay at Aulani every year, by all means, buy there.

Your plan will work just keep in mind:
Aulani at 7 months will be the more expensive room view regardless of size. The points per night will be much higher than if you were an owner and could book cheaper rooms and much more than SSR rooms. If I were you, if I went SSR, I'd purchase 30% more points.
An ocean view can cost early what the next room size up is. For example, a 1 bedroom ocean view can cost as much as a 2 bed standard and nearly what an island garden costs.
I own Aulani and its the last one I would sell as its the best resort in the system and we can't spend a year without Hawaii in my life. ; ). I've been able to use them at most WDW resorts (but I dont do studios which are much tigher). My advice would be the same if you buy Aulani, make sure you have enough points for a larger room at WDW for best results.

I own Aulani and its the last one I would sell as its the best resort in the system and we can't spend a year without Hawaii in my life. ; ). I've been able to use them at most WDW resorts (but I dont do studios which are much tigher). My advice would be the same if you buy Aulani, make sure you have enough points for a larger room at WDW for best results.
That's pretty much us. We will be going to Hawaii once a year, barring something extraordinary to our finances, schedules, etc. And we also plan to buy pts for a 1 bdrm, so that makes sense, thanks!

I know people do it but does going to Hawaii with DVC most years actually save you any money over the other options you might have?

With Hawaii it would seem you would be better off having the ability to stay anywhere in the Islands instead of being locked in? It would be like getting DVC for vacationing in Orlando as opposed to someone who goes to WDW.

I know people do it but does going to Hawaii with DVC most years actually save you any money over the other options you might have?

With Hawaii it would seem you would be better off having the ability to stay anywhere in the Islands instead of being locked in? It would be like getting DVC for vacationing in Orlando as opposed to someone who goes to WDW.

Fair question. I can only answer for our situation of course. But we go to Hawaii every year, stay on Oahu for 3-5 days and then hop to another island. We don't like the Waikiki / HNL area, and have a 3 yr old so the north shore isn't the best place to keep him entertained.

So for us, the financials are way down the list. As long as we're not losing a ton in the long run, it's great for iur son to have something to look forward to, 1/3 of our vaca already planned, and some flexibility if/when we go to WDW

Fair question. I can only answer for our situation of course. But we go to Hawaii every year, stay on Oahu for 3-5 days and then hop to another island. We don't like the Waikiki / HNL area, and have a 3 yr old so the north shore isn't the best place to keep him entertained.

So for us, the financials are way down the list. As long as we're not losing a ton in the long run, it's great for iur son to have something to look forward to, 1/3 of our vaca already planned, and some flexibility if/when we go to WDW

Makes sense

We have yet to get to Hawaii but I know the suggestions are always to hop around so didn't know.

Closing this out... We had an offer accepted for 220 AUL pts (subsidized dues) at 130/pt

Does that price per pt seem right? I was thinking it might be a little high but the math still works with the dues savings

Last edited:
Over the long run you will pay less than if you had paid $100 per point. It will just take a while to see that savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter