Is there really smoking allowed?

Being an ex-smoker...I get both arguments.

princess doesnt allow smoking in the rooms or on balconies and this is one reason we are trying them this month. we had 1 balcony on disney and I couldnt use it at all since the smell causes me to get severe headaches and nausia. For a family cruiseline this is one policy I think needs updating.

I have asthma and I worry about having to be around it a lot, too. Yet, I am going to just take a chance and hope things go well...bringing meds with me of course. :thumbsup2 Surely DCL has thought of the same things we have mentioned but they have to try to please people too, so I can understand their hands being tied, so to speak.:confused3

My mom recently switched to electric cigarettes, so no more nasty smoke smell! She still gets her nicotine to keep her happy, and no one else has to be bothered. I hope more people are switching over to those.

While I don't encourage smoking, that is a good idea that some might want to use perhaps for the trip only, at least. This way they can have their fix and not have to hear complaints. :idea:

20% of the adults in the US smoke. So do you allocate 20% of the verandas to smokers. :-)

Seriously, the right to have 'pure air' does not exist....especially on a cruise ship. Fat sweaty people get on elevators and pass gas - you can either get offended and indignant or you laugh about it and enjoy life.

We all knew (or should have known) the smoking policy before booking. If you can't live with the policy, don't book the cruise! But don't book the cruise and then complain about the policy...that is just going to spoil your vacation and not change anything.

Quit worrying about it, pour the wine and cut the cheese! You're going on a Disney cruise! Whoohoooo!!

If us fat, sweaty people don't toot in the elevators, how else then can we get them to ourselves? :lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :cloud9:

Hey, it made it to page 5!!:laughing:

Disney is not going to do away with smoking on cruises. Want to know why? Because people like me pay extra for a veranda just so we have a place to smoke where no one can complain.

Also, my husband smokes cigars. Feel free to PM me with your cruise date, departure port and room number to see if you need to ask to have your room changed.

Disney is not going to do away with smoking on cruises. Want to know why? Because people like me pay extra for a veranda just so we have a place to smoke where no one can complain. Also, my husband smokes cigars. Feel free to PM me with your cruise date, departure port and room number to see if you need to ask to have your room changed.
wishful thinking...lol. someone will always complain. i'm a non smoker but have never had a problem with smokers on the verandas. I did light one up one time (because of a similar thread) on the veranda so I could see for myself how the smoke traveled. unless the boat is completely still, not moving at all and the wind stops and there is nothing (I mean nothing) it could not be much of a problem.
now I know someone is going to disagree and I will say right now that I could be wrong but that cig was in the ashtray for the whole time it burned and it was hard for me to smell it and I was right there. long and short, go ahead and smoke on verandas around me, its allowed so have at it.
just sayin......no flames please.

What are you allowed to smoke? Just tobacco? In Seattle more people are moving to smoking Cannabis. I wonder how Disney would react?

I'm already anxious about the smoking on the cruise, not because of others but because of my dad. He smokes and tends to be rather oblivious of others, not intentionally, he is hard of hearing and won't hear people on a different veranda. I selected our stateroom carefully. It is on a corner, so there is only someone next to us on the one side and that will be my sister and her family and we are on a less crowded deck (in a 4E) and our balcony is extra extended so hopefully his smoke goes out to sea.

I am happy to report on this issue.

I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. A person can be outside over 15 feet away and if the wind blows in just the right direction I will have an asthma attack.

I am happy to report I had a wonderful 6 night cruise and only had one asthma attack and that was because my mom who smokes didn't shut the veranda door all the way closed. I came in from somewhere and saw she was outside but didn't see the door was open a crack.

Now I did panic one time as they shut one side of the deck down to do some cleaning and I had no idea what side I was on the smoking or non-smoking. I didn't spend much time up on deck.

Those that want to avoid smoke, please listen and don't go to Pop Century Resort at WDW. As you can see from my trips in my signature, it was my favorite value resort. Unless things have change since my last trip, the smokers all stay there. They smoke where ever they please and the staff do not enforce the Designated Smoking Areas. In four hours of being at the resort I had 3 asthma attacks. Spent 14 (15 if you count the first night when we arrived at 12:30 am) nights at the Beach Club and didn't have one asthma attack.

I am happy to report on this issue.

I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. A person can be outside over 15 feet away and if the wind blows in just the right direction I will have an asthma attack.

I am happy to report I had a wonderful 6 night cruise and only had one asthma attack and that was because my mom who smokes didn't shut the veranda door all the way closed. I came in from somewhere and saw she was outside but didn't see the door was open a crack.

Now I did panic one time as they shut one side of the deck down to do some cleaning and I had no idea what side I was on the smoking or non-smoking. I didn't spend much time up on deck.

Those that want to avoid smoke, please listen and don't go to Pop Century Resort at WDW. As you can see from my trips in my signature, it was my favorite value resort. Unless things have change since my last trip, the smokers all stay there. They smoke where ever they please and the staff do not enforce the Designated Smoking Areas. In four hours of being at the resort I had 3 asthma attacks. Spent 14 (15 if you count the first night when we arrived at 12:30 am) nights at the Beach Club and didn't have one asthma attack.

your comment about the pop is a little off the mark imo. thats where we always stay and i doubt very much thats where the smokers all stay. actually i laughed when i read that bit because it is a little odd. now they used to have a smoking section right beside the entrance but they did take that away, which makes so much sense to me.
we were there in october for a ten day stay. my ds and dn are both smokers and they went off to the 'smoking section' on a regular basis. the smoking points are now at the back of the resort off the sidewalks, you have to be strolling around the outside of the resort to come across a smoker, at least that is what i saw, i didn't look at their resort map. and really, all the resorts have smoking sections and i would think just as many smokers. please don't scare people off of this resort.......or maybe you should so i can have it all to myself :yay:

They same way you conclude your neighhors were trying to "smoke you in".

The real issue for most people is not a health issue. It is simply that they don't like the smell of smoke. Well maybe I don't like the smell of the perfume some people bathe in. Doesn't mean it is harmful. .

Actually perfume is harmful to breath, as are all chemicals. Maybe even 10x more so! My doctor told me to stop wearing perfume to stop my chronic colds. It doesn't matter if it is diesel or gasoline, unless you never emit odor from anywhere- and i do mean anywhere. You have no right to complain about odor reaching you from others.

Me too. I bet the MODs will lock the thread down before it hits 5 pages.

Why? This thread stayed very civil...no need to close a thread unless people start acting snarky! Mods really are not meanies who pounce on any small thing to wield our ultimate power:rotfl2:

I have a child with Cystic Fibrosis, so I get the "need to avoid smoke" at all costs issue. I am also an ex-smoker, so I understand the "need" to smoke 1st thing in the morning, after dinner, and before bed. Everyone is paying A LOT of money to cruise Disney. The rates are basically the same for everyone, depending on when you book, this is not a money thing. I have sailed twice with verandah rooms and have not had a problem with smoke at all. If your neighbor does smoke, if you explain your daughter's situation to them nicely, maybe they will refrain from smoking out there during the times that you are there, or they would put their cigarettes out if you come out onto your balcony. I hope all goes well for you, I do understand, Brian can go from running around to the ER quickly.

As Disney fleet of ships grows, maybe they can make one ship completely smoke free. They can start there and see how it sells.

Doubt this would ever happen. Carnival (yes Carnival) tried a smoke free ship once in 1998. It was called the Carnival Paradise. Guest, crew and even the workers who built it were not allowed to smoke. You had to sign a waiver before you cruised stating you KNEW the rules and that was an entirely smoke free ship. Penalties included hefty fines as well as being put off the ship at the next port. Well it was all good in theory but it never sailed full and after a few years went back to being both smoking and non-smoking due to financial reasons. So it has been tried in the cruise industry and failed. If it had succeeded and was a good financial bet other cruise lines would have jumped onboard with the idea already.

My point exactly. With common courtesy, everyone can have a great cruise.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

What are you allowed to smoke? Just tobacco? In Seattle more people are moving to smoking Cannabis. I wonder how Disney would react?

Definitely not allowed....but... we did smell it on a few cruises. I would hate to be the ones caught with it, though. We were on a NCL cruise in Bermuda when the policy came onboard with drug dogs and searched a cabin near ours. Occupants were taken away in cuffs.

MJ

Picking the right cabin can make all the difference.

We've recently returned from 14 days aboard the Wonder, and with a few pieces of information, guests can find cabins immune from errant/drifting cigarette/cigar smoke.

Our cabin aboard the Wonder was on Deck 5 Aft (5124). On deck 5 on the Magic/Wonder, all verandahs are in the aft part of the ship. Thus, if you're in the first cabin forward on Deck 5 with a verandah, there won't be anyone "upwind" from you smoking on their verandah.

The only spaces where smoking is allowed in public is on decks 9 and 10, starboard side, forward. Stay away from these small areas and you'll never encounter smoke. I passed through these area a few times, and while I saw people smoking, I never smelled cigarette smoke. With a verandah on the port side, you'd have no chance of encountering second-hand smoke from the public smoking areas.

I'm a militant/vigilant anti-smoker (cigarettes killed my dad), but I was able to avoid second-hand smoke, and it was never an issue for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter