Is there any way

BitsnBearsMom

<font color=green>We sure are lucky that way<br><f
I can get across the border without spoiling the surprise trip for the kids?? They have and will not have any clue about this trip - I'm not planning on telling their school until the last minute to keep the trip a surprise but I'm not sure how I'm going to keep it until we get to the airport since we have to cross the border.

OR does anyone have any suggestions on how I can give them the surprise just before or when we get to the border?? We were planning on telling them that we were going to cross over to go shopping - it's not uncommon for us to leave at 5am when we do that - as for the dog we were going to tell them that we didn't want him being alone all day if we decide to stay overnight.

Hi Dianna,
That sounds so fun, a :ssst: surprise trip!! My thoughts would be that, if you have to :car: tell the border crossing agent that you are flying out, what if you have something to give the kids right as you get to the crossing?

Maybe Disney dollars in a decorated envelope or card; or a Disney character plush, etc., something to hand to them as you say "we have a surprise for you!"
:jumping1:

xoxoxoxo
Daisy
:yay:

well they are almost 9yo and 14.5yo so perhaps I should just hand them the folder with the booking info and the MVMCP tickets in it and thier US$ that I'm getting for them.
Some small disney gift would be good to go with it too.

Good idea's!

The shopping story should work. We did the same thing with our kids but it was August so we told the kids we were going to Darien Lake for a couple days and that is what we told the guy at the border crossing. When we were coming home we told the border we had been in Florida. The kids didn't find out until we pulled into the airport parking and surprising the kids made that trip so much more fun! Have a great time!

oh what Michelle said makes sense! if you can say you'll be in the states for a few days w/out telling where, it might be more fun to tell the kids at the airport.

do you have a disney cd you can pop in, in the car, and/or something fun (but not baby-ish) to give them as you tell them? this is so exciting!!!!

We have the wishes and spectro cd as well as a Disney Christmas CD and the family channel cmas CD - I will work on convincing dh to tell the border guard that we are going over shopping for a few days - his biggest worry is that he'll get in 'trouble' for not telling them the truth!!

that sounds like my dh!!!! he will NOT cross the border otherwise!! he is convinced that "they will know" somehow when we come back. poor guy.

usually if I'm driving it's not a big deal to cross.

I couldn't convince him to let me drive if I wanted to

I *might* be able to convince him to tell them we are just shopping though - and if we just give the date (the 16th) as our return date I don't think the boys would catch on that they will be missing school.

I just called and booked the Cape May Character breakfast for the 14th to celebrate the youngest little man's 9th birthday which is 3 weeks after. I'm so darn excited that I wonder if I might burst trying to keep this surprise!! :santa: :rolleyes:

I couldn't convince him to let me drive if I wanted to

I *might* be able to convince him to tell them we are just shopping though - and if we just give the date (the 16th) as our return date I don't think the boys would catch on that they will be missing school.

I just called and booked the Cape May Character breakfast for the 14th to celebrate the youngest little man's 9th birthday which is 3 weeks after. I'm so darn excited that I wonder if I might burst trying to keep this surprise!! :santa: :rolleyes:

I LOVE the Cape May breakfast!!!!! I love Cape May. :lovestruc
(I did that once for one of my guys & bought a birthday cake @ the Boardwalk Bakery to have the CM bring out. It's a very fond memory. I know it's breakfast but hey!! Who doesn't love cake for breakfast, it's got eggs, milk, flour, it's almost a pancake!:rotfl: )

You are going to have so much fun!!!!!!

Am listening to my Wishes cd & thinking of being there!!!! :santa:

Can you write it down to and hand it to the border crossing agent with your passports or ID? just a quick note something like "surprise trip to Disney for the kids... shhhh" or something quick for them to read???

Hope this helps
Mousy

ohhhhh I didn't think of writing it down - that would work...... would keep dh happy too then he's not 'fibbing' to a border crossing agent!!

Then we could just give them their new carry on's when we get to the airport and give them the 'silent' treatment until they figure it out..... hehe I like that idea

when they ask you where you are going you can just hand them the paper and say going here.. if the kids ask why you are handing them the paper say something like "it is just easier that way" which is true :)
I would make sure you mention it is a surprise on the paper and if you need to put the dates so they don't ask in front of the kids when you will be back.

Good Luck with your surprise... let us know how it goes.

hey looks like we'll be there almost the same time!! How are you planing on breaking your surprise??

What we are doing is telling the kids that myself & DH are going away for the weekend... they are going to be staying my my parents overnight on the Thursday night (Friday is a pa day) then I can pack on Thursday night and get ready. My DH is coming home at 1 pm on Friday we will pack the Envoy and then phone my parents.. my Dad is going to take them to McDonalds to get an ice cream or to play or something then and we will walk into MD'S (with the video camera) and they will say "what are you doing here" then we will tell them are are leaving NOW to go to Disney and LOVE seeing their reaction!!!! I have stuff stashed all over the house for this trip and they have no idea when we are going so this will be great! What are your dates?

oh that will be great - make sure to let us know how it goes!!

We are only there from Dec 13 to 16th - got in on that amazing Southwest deal with flights for $109 return taxes in so had to take advantage of it.

with all this advice my plan is to take the dog to the kennel the Friday night making sure the kids know we are going over shopping early on the Saturday and might stay over in Niagara Falls to see the lights - hand the border guard a note with our passports and see how long it takes them to figure it out after we park at the airport and hand them their new already packed carry on's. I will have my camera ready for that look/reaction when they finally realize where we're going!!

I sure am glad we managed to get a resort - we're still on a wait list for a DVC studio anywhere but doubt that wil come through - we have POR booked anyway for $149 per night which will be just fine!! Only doing resort touring, MVMCP on the Sunday, 1 full day in Epcot and a golf game. 39 days and counting!:santa:

I've heard that a paper with the surprise trip worked for lots of people, but I'd push it further and give them a copy of your hotel reservation/plane tickets. That way, a not so friendly agent who would otherwise push the issue (which is within his rights) might be OK with the whole thing.

BTW, like your husband, I'd be scared to death of lying to a US border agent. Once they repeated the same questions with slight variations at least 3 times, not I situation I'd like to be in if I was "downplaying" it, it was already stressful!

Can you write it down to and hand it to the border crossing agent with your passports or ID? just a quick note something like "surprise trip to Disney for the kids... shhhh" or something quick for them to read???

Hope this helps
Mousy

I have done this in the past and it worked quite well. I am one of those who always prefers to be honest with the border guards. I cherish my US vacations and don't ever want to risk that so I tend to be very honest....maybe too honest if you ask DW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter