Is there an advantage to stay onsite anymore?

Maybe we’ll see each other 🙂 We’re going Sept 12-18. I feel you on not wanting to over-pay especially now with stuff changing and unknown. We always look but just haven’t found a price offsite that saved us enough to consider. Yet at least.

Rented DVC at Boardwalk $144/night (includes taxes, fees & parking)

Rented car at Sixt (now inside MCO) BMWx7 $423. This is DH’s splurge. I tried to convince him we don’t need it as we can bus to MK, Uber to AK and walk to HS/EP. Makes him happy. Ok.

2rt Flights JetBlue with checked luggage, used 17k points paid $22.40

Our room is only a studio but works fine for us. There’s really nothing else that competes at that price. If we had a larger family then offsite options would be more attractive. Our price is not common but it’s possible. I’d be willing to pay more only if I knew stuff was returning.

Onsite value varies depending on so many different factors. It’s not necessarily a worse value. Guess it comes down to cost difference. Is X amount of dollars going to elevate your experience enough to justify?
How did you get such a low price? We always check DVC rental and currently they are at $17-$20 a point, way more than $144 a night.

I think it shows a certain privilege to say you would never stay offsite or you must stay at Yacht Club. Most normal families can’t afford $600/night!

If you’re paying $600 at night for a standard view at YC you’re doing something wrong or going during Xmas, in which case you’re paying through the nose for everything anyway.

“Normal” is subjective. My family consists of myself and my partner, do we not count? (Lol). We are by no means wealthy people, I’m just a civil servant with a decent paying union job. But Disney and travel in general is my priority so that is where I spend the majority of my discretionary income. I’m just frugal elsewhere...I’m a gamer but I don’t need the latest and greatest on launch day, most of my games come from sales and I only buy new consoles after price drops. I save up and buy quality things that last rather than throwing money away on cheaply made things that need replacing. I stock up on necessities during sales and shop around. I utilize Rakuten and other cash back sites/apps. I also play the credit card rewards game, and I don’t carry debt either. I know families with kids who fly free with SW companion passes. With specifics to Disney, there’s tons and tons of hacks to do things cheaper. I pay for my vacations with discounted gift cards purchased with one of my CCs to maximize cash back. I never get the dining plan, my food budget always comes out cheaper doing it this way. And so on.

People who think you have to be rich to do this are just not savvy, tbqh. There is a lot of free education online nowadays about traveling well on a budget. Much of which can be found on these very boards.

We don't actually use onsite benefits much at all. For us, the comparison & decision is made based on resort experience & budget. When we're in Orlando, we like to visit other Deluxe resorts, have something to eat, and enjoy the transportation (boats, Skyliner, monorail). This is pretty easy for us regardless of where we stay. Moderate & Value resorts don't appeal as much to us, since we get more amenities & have more fun at offsite resorts for less money. In order for us to afford a Deluxe hotel Disney vacation, we'd have to use our entire year's travel budget for a single trip. :faint: We'd have to skip our beloved long weekends at the SC beaches, other southeast getaways, and our many road trip visits to family in 4 other states each year. Um... no.

Instead, we have Club Wyndham timeshare points that we may use to stay at CW Bonnet Creek or trade via RCI into a DVC resort 1BR, usually SSR. Both of these resorts offer gorgeous grounds, beautiful evening lighting with outdoor music, beautiful pool areas, fun activities, thoughtfully laid-out rooms and extensive amenities. Both have modest but not immersive theming. Since we don't use onsite benefits, it's an apples-to-apples comparison for us. On recent stays with family along, we chatted comparisons & preferences. We all enjoyed them both, no question.

DS & DDIL leaned more toward SSR for the ability to walk to DS and take a bus to any other resort on-property, as well as the bigger splash pad for their 2-year-old. (They disliked having to take their DS out of the stroller for every bus ride though.) Also, having lived in urban areas for years and now in FL with palm trees everywhere, they felt that the low-rise buildings and northern countryside landscaping of SSR were more vacation-like, more beautiful and romantic for them.

DH & I lean more toward CWBC for the larger rooms, higher floor views, fun floating rivers at the pools, gas grill picnic areas, lakefront bar/grills (they're poolside at both resorts), and abundance of free/included resort activities. Also, since we live in a low-rise condo in the NC mountains, we find the high-rise towers and tropical landscaping of CWBC to be more vacation-like, more beautiful and romantic for us. LOL! Different strokes!!!

For the 30 minute early entry, is this for all parks every day or certain parks on certain days? Is there a name for this so I can research it? A thread? And when does it start? I’m helping my sister with her family’s trip but we I haven’t been keeping up with changes since we didn’t have a trip planned. Thanks!

For the 30 minute early entry, is this for all parks every day or certain parks on certain days? Is there a name for this so I can research it? A thread? And when does it start? I’m helping my sister with her family’s trip but we I haven’t been keeping up with changes since we didn’t have a trip planned. Thanks!

This is their official announcement, which is all that has been confirmed:

Early Theme Park Entry: We know how much guests enjoy extra park time, so coming later this year as part of our 50th anniversary celebration, Disney Resort hotel guests and guests of other select hotels will be able to enjoy more fun with 30-minute early entry to ANY theme park, EVERY day. It’ll be a great way to get a jump start on your Disney day, no matter the day! As a reminder, the Extra Magic Hours benefit was suspended when Walt Disney World Resort reopened last summer, and as we continue to manage attendance with health and safety top of mind, Extra Magic Hours will not return. The new early theme park entry benefit helps us better spread visitation across all four theme parks, while providing added flexibility by giving guests extra early park time on each day of their vacation and in the park of their choosing. Please note that guests need valid admission and a park reservation made via the Disney Park Pass system to enter a theme park.

How did you get such a low price? We always check DVC rental and currently they are at $17-$20 a point, way more than $144 a night.
We booked back in the end of January. Saw there was an opening for BWV standard studio and quickly made contact with an owner who was renting points for $16. At the time there were also still a few BWV owners with boards renting for $14pp (even $12) but they did not respond quickly. At less than 8 months out the room was at risk of being booked quickly. The owner I contacted was wonderful. Got back immediately and worked everything out over the next 2 hours. The 5 nights we booked in Sept are 9pts/nite.

That’s about as low to be expected but theres still plenty great deals to find. Even at $20pp, BWV is 10 pts/weeknites for most of Dec ‘21 (until 23rd) and 9 for Jan ‘22. $200 or less is fantastic! The hardest part is managing to find availability and an owner quickly.

I might sell my DVC. They've overpriced everything and taking all the magic away.

I remember back in the 70's my dad saying how Contemporary was overprices.... think it was $40 a night.

I feel much the same today.... but then I've gone on vacations to lot's of places and they all tend to be pricy - but also not as much to do and see in one place. I've gotten to the age where I'd rather take a cruse... but that's not much of an option right now.

If you’re paying $600 at night for a standard view at YC you’re doing something wrong or going during Xmas, in which case you’re paying through the nose for everything anyway.

“Normal” is subjective. My family consists of myself and my partner, do we not count? (Lol). We are by no means wealthy people, I’m just a civil servant with a decent paying union job. But Disney and travel in general is my priority so that is where I spend the majority of my discretionary income. I’m just frugal elsewhere...I’m a gamer but I don’t need the latest and greatest on launch day, most of my games come from sales and I only buy new consoles after price drops. I save up and buy quality things that last rather than throwing money away on cheaply made things that need replacing. I stock up on necessities during sales and shop around. I utilize Rakuten and other cash back sites/apps. I also play the credit card rewards game, and I don’t carry debt either. I know families with kids who fly free with SW companion passes. With specifics to Disney, there’s tons and tons of hacks to do things cheaper. I pay for my vacations with discounted gift cards purchased with one of my CCs to maximize cash back. I never get the dining plan, my food budget always comes out cheaper doing it this way. And so on.

People who think you have to be rich to do this are just not savvy, tbqh. There is a lot of free education online nowadays about traveling well on a budget. Much of which can be found on these very boards.

Yacht Club is $267+tax for next week on Hotwire. FYI.

My gf and I finally got to stay on site for once this past January at AKL when we went for her birthday because she found a woman in this DVC rental facebook group who gave us the savanna view for only $1700 for 6 nights. It was really fun and were both glad we got to do it, but if we had to pay full price there is no way we could justify it.

Were going back in June and looked at the staying at one of the cheaper Disney hotels and even with our AP discount I think the cheapest one was Art for $400 a night. So instead we looked at the hotels near Disney springs and got one of them for around $550 for 4nights. Free parking, and they also have a shuttle (not as quick as the Disney ones but still). As much as I would love to stay at a disney hotel I just don't see how some of their prices are justified.

We will definitely look at more dvc rentals because you can find some really great deals if you plan out far enough in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter