is there a kind of unspoken snobbery between resorts?

Stayed in all levels including GF CL and Poly CL & the only thing CMs have ever commented on was the "gold" KTTK card, they would just say they hadn't seen gold & ask why it's that color. We would just tell them it's CL & they would just be like oh ok, good to know..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013

Exactly our experience, most CM's do not know what the gold KTTW card is, or even what CL is most of the time unless they are resort CM's. I am ignored in stores just as often staying GF CL as anywhere else, sometimes I think I am invisible. :rotfl2:

Exactly our experience, most CM's do not know what the gold KTTW card is, or even what CL is most of the time unless they are resort CM's. I am ignored in stores just as often staying GF CL as anywhere else, sometimes I think I am invisible. :rotfl2:

I've never been ignored in a store by a cm.
did you borrow Harry potter's invisibility cloak? :rotfl2:

We have had many CM's ask where we are staying.

I think it's usually meant as just a conversation starter.

The responses have run the gamut from, "Oh, I used to work there", "That's one of my favorite resorts", to things like "That's great", or "That's wonderful", or "My parents stayed there last month."

You just may be reading a little too much into this.

Do you think that the perceptions of snobbery derive from the person's feelings associated with the resort in which they are staying? Perhaps staying in something called a "value" resort and knowing that "deluxe" resorts exist that have perks and better quality things causes a sense of loss and guilt and anger that is exposed by the way the person interprets all comments?

I've stayed in almost every resort but still dream of staying in the Poly because I haven't decided to pay the higher price yet. I will one day. I still carry my gold KTTW card from my GF concierge stay because it brings me such good family memories when I look at it.

I am happy for everyone who gets to go to Disney and have a vacation because the idea of people treating you differently based on which level of h0tel you occupy is such a first world problem it is laughable.

I noticed that the deluxe buses seem to pick up/drop off closer to the park entrances than the ones for the value resorts. Maybe it was just the impression that I got because I was tired and had further to walk because I was staying at ASMo. I never noticed the difference when I was staying at a deluxe resort.
I noticed this on February and even commented about it with my mom, no matter which park you go, the higher the cost of the resort you're staying the closer the bus pick up were to the entrance of the park. But I don't see it as snobbery really. All Star and Pop have more guests than GF so they need more space for queues which is easier to do the further you go from the park entrance.

I noticed this on February and even commented about it with my mom, no matter which park you go, the higher the cost of the resort you're staying the closer the bus pick up were to the entrance of the park. But I don't see it as snobbery really. All Star and Pop have more guests than GF so they need more space for queues which is easier to do the further you go from the park entrance.

I don't think it's snobbery to put deluxe buses closer to the entrance. Deluxe should mean that guests get the most convenient and luxurious treatment.

I think it's ideal that there is a range of resorts because that means more people and their kids can have the Disney experience. One of my former students is a single mom who works her butt off. She was able to afford to take her son to WDW and give him the vacation that all the kids talk about because there are reasonably priced resorts. If anyone sees anything wrong with buying what you can afford, I don't know what their problem is.

Do you think that the perceptions of snobbery derive from the person's feelings associated with the resort in which they are staying? Perhaps staying in something called a "value" resort and knowing that "deluxe" resorts exist that have perks and better quality things causes a sense of loss and guilt and anger that is exposed by the way the person interprets all comments?

I've stayed in almost every resort but still dream of staying in the Poly because I haven't decided to pay the higher price yet. I will one day. I still carry my gold KTTW card from my GF concierge stay because it brings me such good family memories when I look at it.

I am happy for everyone who gets to go to Disney and have a vacation because the idea of people treating you differently based on which level of h0tel you occupy is such a first world problem it is laughable.

Your last sentence,so true.:goodvibes

I think my own personal experiences seem to have rarely been repeated with others,so that's good.
I remember quite clearly though when we first stayed at pop,a dvc rep actually told my ds we were in a value resort,and we should aim higher.
I was not impressed,and obviously scarred :rotfl:

I think naming resorts value,moderate and deluxe is obviously descriptive,but in no way an actual reflection of a Disney resort stay.

Now that I can't go AT ALL, this whole discussion seems silly. If someone told me today that I could come along on their trip, but that we would be staying at the All Star Sports, it wouldn't take me two minutes to be packed and in the car. I MISS DISNEY:(

I haven't noticed anything like out right snobbery. And I'll start my post by saying we are DVC members and own at BCV but also love Port Orleans French Quarter (moderate resort) and would not think twice about staying at FQ if for some reason we didn't have points, couldn't get a last minute DVC room, etc.

Sometimes if we mention we're staying at BC a CM will say something like "I love the Boardwalk area" or "they have the best pool!" etc. Those are comments we don't hear if we say we're staying at FQ, but on the other hand I have had a CM say they love the beignets and FQ lol.

Are all the buses the same?

We have a hire car,so have probably only used the bus 5 times,but I don't find travelling on a bus luxurious- but being dropped closer is obviously a benefit paid for indirectly.:)

Just spoke to DH and he thinks Shades of Greens should always have the first bus stop just as a sign of respect to our veterans. He's not saying that because he's a veteran either. He's just grateful for their service.

Just spoke to DH and he thinks Shades of Greens should always have the first bus stop just as a sign of respect to our veterans. He's not saying that because he's a veteran either. He's just grateful for their service.

That's a really nice idea.
Perhaps it will happen someday?

What a wonderful idea!!!!

I'm all for respecting our veterans. Heck, my DH is one. But surely there are limits. Not everyone at SOG is a veteran. SOG is not even a Disney resort- which is probably one of the reasons the SOG bus (note that these are not WDW buses) drops off at the TTC instead of the regular park bus stops at MK and Epcot. If we were to follow your way of thinking then perhaps veterans should also be given front of the line privileges, too, as a sign of respect. Yeah, I don't see that happening either.

I'm all for respecting our veterans. Heck, my DH is one. But surely there are limits. Not everyone at SOG is a veteran. SOG is not even a Disney resort- which is probably one of the reasons the SOG bus (note that these are not WDW buses) drops off at the TTC instead of the regular park bus stops at MK and Epcot. If we were to follow your way of thinking then perhaps veterans should also be given front of the line privileges, too, as a sign of respect. Yeah, I don't see that happening either.

I could live with that.

Not their grandkids and cousins and next door neighbors, but a veteran, his or her spouse, and the kids they share??? Absolutely.

Of course, the logistics would be a nightmare, so it wouldn't happen. But I would gladly spend a few more minutes on each ride (and we go in August, when the lines and temperatures are both high) as a thank you to those who have given so much.

I respect veterans enough to let them in front of me in line.

Doesn't seem like a hard thing to do. US Military ID's are not something you see a whole lot of fakes of going around.

You have a valid Military ID, front of the line for you and your immediate family.

This would not be a case of people going to City Hall and getting a pass....the official Military ID IS the pass.

We booked CBR about 4years ago and when we arrived to check in we were informed the resort was overbooked and that we were being transferred to GF. Wife and I were super stoked but the kids started crying because they wanted to play on the pirate ship.

When we arrived at the GF a bellman greeted us and asked if we were checking in. I said "I think we are. CBR is overbooked and they sent us over here." The CM Bellman said "your going to like it much better over here."

Maybe it's not as much snobbery as it is pride in a certain area (resort, attraction, restaurant) that a CM works in.

Now, snobbery by guests. That's a whole different ball of wax there. See it all the time.

We've stayed at a multitude of resorts. Never a Value, but I wouldn't mind trying AOA. I probably wouldn't enjoy any other Value. The thing is, once you stay at a Deluxe, you feel so spoiled by all the amenities it offers that Moderates and Values don't even compare to it. You just don't feel Moderates and Values fit the par. It's not really snobbery, but I do feel CM's compete with each other for the most enjoyed/popular resort. I've never seen snobbery between vacationers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter