is there a kind of unspoken snobbery between resorts?

married2mm

DIS Veteran
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-
but say you're staying at all stars -"that's great "says cm.
Staying at grand floridian-"how wonderful "says another.

Anyone had any experience of this?:)

I've never noticed anything like that....we've stayed at a few of the mods and at the GF. All the CM's seem very helpful and very pleasant.

By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-

I don't think it is unspoken. It is simple fact that the Grand Floridian is a better resort than the All Stars. I would sometimes tell people who were staying at the Poly how jealous I was and that it was a great place to watch the fireworks. I wouldn't get into too much detailed conversation if someone told me they were staying at an All Star. I might ask which one but not much beyond that.

I've never noticed this from CMs. I would think that 99% of them are much too professional to do something so crass.

As for guests- of course it happens. You really can't expect that every guest has the class or consideration to avoid turning up their noses at the mention of value resorts. Unfortunate, but that's life. Just ignore it if it happens; those types of people aren't worth being bothered about.

I've never noticed this from CMs. I would think that 99% of them are much too professional to do something so crass.

As for guests- of course it happens. You really can't expect that every guest has the class or consideration to avoid turning up their noses at the mention of value resorts. Unfortunate, but that's life. Just ignore it if it happens; those types of people aren't worth being bothered about.

That's good to hear about cms.

And the guests you describe in your last sentence- so true minnie mum,not worth the time of day.:goodvibes

We've only stayed Moderate, i.e. POR and Deluxe (including GF). We are a family of 5. We don't get into the battle of the classes. Think it is ridiculous. We choose our resort based on the type of vacation we like, comfort and what we can afford. We know several people who have huge incomes and great financial success that choose to stay at value resorts. They are just frugal by nature. We also know many people that live beyond their means and vacation beyond their means giving a different impression. No one should judge anyone. You really don't know anyone's back story. We just focus on ourselves and enjoy your own vacation. We have not noticed this snobbery specifically at different resorts. On occasion, we have noticed it staying Club Level which with think is ridiculous. We have paid less for Club Level at times than a Standard Room:thumbsup2:goodvibes

I've stayed in all ranges--from GF RPC on the Platinum Plan to Pop in a standard room. I've never noticed any differences in the resort guests or in how I was treated by CMs.

I've stayed in all ranges--from GF RPC on the Platinum Plan to Pop in a standard room. I've never noticed any differences in the resort guests or in how I was treated by CMs.

Same here :thumbsup2

considering a lot of guests take advantage of decent discounts/PINs/etc to stay in the deluxe resorts there's certainly no need to assume someone is 'better' because they're staying at a certain resort. I've stayed at moderates and deluxes (often without a discount) as I'm in the UK and even with a general discount the rate of exchange hasn't always made it beneficial, I've ended up paying more to stay in a moderate than friends who had a discount to stay in a deluxe.

I shouldn't have said unspoken snobbery but I was pointing out that in conversation I have much more to talk to them about if they are staying at a certain resort. I love Pop and share that with people when they are staying there or talk about the beauty of Poly or GF. There are also resorts I know nothing about and others I just would have no clue how to talk about even though I've stayed there. I don't find the All Stars particularly great so I know the different areas but wouldn't rave about the views or anything. So I guess not snobbery but different topics of conversation.

I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.

I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.

I thought the credit card limits are set by the guests. I thought that I was asked at check in if I wanted to set a limit on my charges.

Maybe I am misremembering this. :confused3

I have to say, you raise an interesting point.

I thought the credit card limits are set by the guests. I thought that I was asked at check in if I wanted to set a limit on my charges.

Maybe I am misremembering this. :confused3

Not in the 5 years we have been going. It has always been based on the level of resort. WE were at AoA last trip and had to have it charged to the credit card mid trip.

married2mm said:
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-

Nope, never had this experience. My DH and I have stayed value, moderate, and deluxe and have never heard or seen this from guests or cm's.

This really frustrates me, I remember we were staying at POFQ in 2 rooms without a dining plan, absolutely everything we purchased/ate in Disney was charged to one room, we spent close to $3,000 on food/drinks/gifts etc that trip and had to have the limit increased via a phone call when purchasing some items in Epcot - I'm pretty certain thy gave us a larger increase during that call when my father confirmed the credit card they were charging had over $10,000 worth of available credit.

I honestly can't recall a time where a cast member has ever asked where I was staying.

We've been asked several times.
Maybe it's as we've travelled from the UK?
Had both onsite and offsite stays-they've definitely generated different reactions,but can't recall any difference in reactions to our chosen resort.

The differentiation in charging is intriguing-as a pp said,just because you are at club level in contemporary or pop-does not reflect one's financial situation:confused3

Btw- i didn't even know a platinum level existed- what does it entail?

This is the limit that they "ding" your card; not the only amount you can spend the entire trip you are there.

You can spend $1,500.00 if you stay in the values if you want, it is just they will ding your card three times.

There may have been something else wrong, either the way the CM loaded the cc. the wrong way on the computer or the bank had an issue.

But you can spend as much as you want at any level.

I personally do not see the vast difference between saying "great" and "wonderful". It's not like one was saying "oh, that's too bad" to the value guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter