Is there a dress code at Disney?

I think Disney is right to prohibit adults in costumes---as a safety measure (guests, especially children, might think they are cast members)

I also agree with prohibiting clothing or visible tattoos supporting hate (so the Hitler tattoo mentioned upthread, or the one i stood in line behind at another theme park a couple of years ago--large shoulder tat (muscle shirt showed it off well) of a leering man holding a bloody knife in one hand and a woman's decapitated head in the other.

Otherwise? who cares? You dress for you morals and comfort and I will dress for mine. It honestly IS pretty easy to look away and/or mind your own business--and to clutch pearls about visible skin while happily enjoying stories about girls marrying complete strangers at age 16, just seems extremely ironic to me.

Last edited:
All I can say is that, I'm glad you didn't say anything to the guests you felt were ill-attired. It would be very awkward to explain to police officers why you are sexually harassing people in public in broad daylight. No other reason for you to observe their clothing and make a judgement call on it. ;)

Most places won't let you wear an questionable T-shirt inside out anymore. They know you're likely to turn it back rightside out after you enter the park.
I loved the 80’s... people weren’t as sneaky to do that. My brother wore it inside out all day as he was told.

Unless someone is standing in line in front of me for an attraction or has different Mickey ears on, I am too busy getting to my next destination and enjoying the park to notice what they're wearing.

I now there must be limits , but me personally, I like a women to dress just a little bit trashy

I've seen some pretty questionable dress at the parks, but quite honestly, those people are one out of thousands I'd seen in on day and the only reason they stand out is, well, because they want to stand out. Doesn't really bother me all that much.

I do have one fashion pet peeve though. I really can's stand it when women with large chests wear a spaghetti strap tanks with a shelf bra. It just looks obscene, tacky, sloppy.

The only odd dress thing I really remember was in line for SSE. There was. A goth couple in their late teens/early 20's...head to toe in black. Ripped fishnets, white pancake type makeup and black lipstick, combat boots, long black coat and sweaters etc....it seemed so uncomfortable and impractical. But that's not why I remember them from all the crazy outfits over the years. I remember them because they were freaking adorable. So in love...so sweet with one another. We were in line about 20 minutes and it really was just overwhelmingly lovely to watch a young couple so completely in love.

About 20 years at Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ, it must have been goth day. There were dozens of them there scattered throughout the park. I thought it was pretty cool and wish I could pull off a look like that.

Last summer rompers were supposed to be the new hot trend for men, but I never saw a guy wearing them.

RompHim-Romper-Designed-For-Men-Featured-image-672x372.jpg

They were (tragically) all over my neighborhood last summer...this summer? Not a one, apparently the irony left when they had to go to the powder room!

I find it distasteful to wear clothing where too much stuff is showing, and I'm not talking just a spaghetti strap table top or short shorts, but stuff like half of butt cheeks hanging out of shorts or a crop top that shows the underside of breasts. Still though, I won't say anything as long as you're not bumping up into myself or my kids with your business. I've had that happen when people are dressed conservatively too, but I wasn't too happy when someone wasn't paying attention and backed their half-naked butt right into my kid's face on the stairs for a water slide.

Oh boy, another dress code thread! Let's see if it can garner as many pages as the last one.

I get policing offensive or hateful slogans on shirts but most of the other things are one of the main problems with dress codes- they are sexist. They typically sexualize and target women.

Further, the majority of people police themselves just fine. Who's to say how short is too short? I know how short would be too short for me and I would have stopped DD if I thought hers were too short when she was growing up. I'm fine with everyone else deciding for themselves.

Quite honestly, in my many trips to Disney, I only once remember seeing anything that was possibly inappropriate. A group of guys who had taken different Disney characters and turned their names into sexual innuendos and had them on their shirts. It was funny and we still talk about it almost 15 years later but it was probably offensive to some.

I do notice and question some people's foot wear choices. As in, How in the world are they going to walk around in those all day!?

Parts of the body that do not carry STD's, harmful bacteria - sure, we as society decide what's OK, what's not, and that's just a group decision that we all don't have to agree on. But that certain area of the body that deals with waste, etc? Fecal matter is not healthy to have all over the place, and in a wet climate like Florida, all kinds of stuff can grow. Not saying we are all going around with nasty stuff all over our butts, but there is the chance that stuff will spread. You'd wash your hands after touching a toilet seat, right? That seat has a hole in the middle where regular seats do not. Now, think about touching a seat on an attraction where thousands of other people have put their barely/not covered butts.

The only odd dress thing I really remember was in line for SSE. There was. A goth couple in their late teens/early 20's...head to toe in black. Ripped fishnets, white pancake type makeup and black lipstick, combat boots, long black coat and sweaters etc....it seemed so uncomfortable and impractical. But that's not why I remember them from all the crazy outfits over the years. I remember them because they were freaking adorable. So in love...so sweet with one another. We were in line about 20 minutes and it really was just overwhelmingly lovely to watch a young couple so completely in love.

Sweet, and hopefully not physical. We were behind a couple once that was so in love they were almost doing it right there. Ugh.

I don't understand how women can wear super short shorts. The wedgie would drive me crazy.

Parts of the body that do not carry STD's, harmful bacteria - sure, we as society decide what's OK, what's not, and that's just a group decision that we all don't have to agree on. But that certain area of the body that deals with waste, etc? Fecal matter is not healthy to have all over the place, and in a wet climate like Florida, all kinds of stuff can grow. Not saying we are all going around with nasty stuff all over our butts, but there is the chance that stuff will spread. You'd wash your hands after touching a toilet seat, right? That seat has a hole in the middle where regular seats do not. Now, think about touching a seat on an attraction where thousands of other people have put their barely/not covered butts.

Sweet, and hopefully not physical. We were behind a couple once that was so in love they were almost doing it right there. Ugh.

Physical? No. It was the way they spoke to each other, looked at each other, quietly held hands. They were adorable.

See this is exactly what happened in the other thread- people giving extreme examples.

I probably wouldn't bat an eye over super short booty shorts or inappropriate tattoos or T-shirts.

But other fashion atrocities are sure to produce a few chuckles. ;)
Sandals with crew socks (over the calf tube socks are even worse :scared1:)
Jorts
T-shirts tucked into shorts or jeans
Crocs
Baseball caps worn backwards
Any clothing with the brand name prominently displayed
Sweatpants/pajama bottoms

To each their own is my motto.

The problem with being offended is that you tend to only see and register the items you are offended by and then think it is pervasive. You don't register the 99% of the other guests that are dressed differently.

For instance, if you chose to be offended by yellow tshirts, you would all of a sudden only notice everyone wearing yellow t shirts and then think it is everyone wearing them. You wouldn't notice the other people wearing blue, green, tan, white, red, orange, tie die, black, and all the other colors on the spectrum.

People clutched their pearls at seeing bare ankles at one time. It is just skin. Body parts don't offend me, especially when it is someone not remotely part of our traveling group.

I have a huge thing about trying to impose one's morals, judgments, and preferences on other people when it doesn't cause any harm to them or even involve them at all, except maybe to harm their own sensitivities.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter