Is the ship you want worth a 20 hour drive?

Is the ship you really want worth a 20-hour drive?

• Total voters
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I just switched to the Fantasy. It makes sense for us as it's the cruise we really want, because we've sailed Magic class for 3 of 5 cruises including our most recent 2, because cruises are hard for us to fit into our schedule & this one works, and because my son will be turning 15 and he won't be able to cruise with me forever.

The Fantasy is also the only ship where we haven't seen the shows. That matters to us as we really enjoy DCL's onboard entertainment, but after 5 cruises the offerings (shows, games, etc.) are starting to feel a bit repetetive. After this cruise, we'll probably just sail the new ships that are gradually coming up for release.

Last edited:
Honestly I think asking these types of questions on online forums yields little to no results. You know yourself better than anyone here so only you can make the determination of what you can do. Many people here will say that it is not worth it to them, but that does not mean you find more value in the Dream class ships than they do.

Personally, I have no problem driving for long distances. I have since I was a 17 year old driver. Trips of this length don’t bother me. I would much rather drive long distances to something I like more, than settle for a shorter drive for something I’m not as thrilled about.

Actually I sometimes love hearing other people's opinions, even if I disagree with them. it can help me firm up how I feel about something personally to see other people's opinions, even if I disagree... sometimes hearing everyone tell me "not a good idea" for various reasons help me realize I still want to do it anyway and I feel better about the decision. As long as it stays civil, I think these questions are great discussions.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I just switched to the Fantasy. It makes sense for us as it's the cruise we really want, because we've sailed Magic class for 3 of 5 cruises including our most recent 2, because cruises are hard for us to fit into our schedule & this one works, and because my son will be turning 15 and he won't be able to cruise with me forever.

The Fantasy is also the only ship where we haven't seen the shows. That matters to us as we really enjoy DCL's onboard entertainment, but after 5 cruises the offerings (shows, games, etc.) are starting to feel a bit repetetive. After this cruise, we'll probably just sail the new ships that are gradually coming up for release.

It is amazing how quickly kids grow up. You will have no regrets in not compromising on what you want. Have a great trip and stop at Buc-ee’s in Alabama on the way!

Discussions and other opinions make you realize that the best decision isnt always the one that makes most sense! Now you know what you really want and have made your decision... Have fun! 😊

Is it possible to make it a 2.5 day drive, instead of 2 days? For example: If the original plan was to drive all Saturday & Sunday, leave on Friday evening after school/work, drive for 3-4 hours, get a hotel and have shorter driving days on the next 2 days.

It wouldn't be worth 4 days of driving for me. I'd be exhausted by the time I got to Port Canaveral and for the last 2 days of the cruise I'd be dreading the drive home.

We routinely fly 20+ hours, with the whole family, to get to USA from Australia in order to cruise with Disney, so yes, I’d say a 20 hour drive for the ship you want is a no brainer

Especially since Fantasy is usually a 7 night cruise, 20 hours for 7 nights is a pretty good ROI

Personal opinion, but since you can also go on a Disney cruise that is 4hr drive, I would go for that one. If it was the Fantasy with a 20hr drive and no alternative, then miight be worth it.

Discussions and other opinions make you realize that the best decision isnt always the one that makes most sense! Now you know what you really want and have made your decision... Have fun! 😊

Is it possible to make it a 2.5 day drive, instead of 2 days? For example: If the original plan was to drive all Saturday & Sunday, leave on Friday evening after school/work, drive for 3-4 hours, get a hotel and have shorter driving days on the next 2 days.
That's a good idea but I can't this time, as this cruise is between Christmas & our return to work/school. I don't want to drive on Christmas Day, and we just won't have time on the way back before school resumes.

A 9-ish hour drive in one day is okay with me. I've driven that many times just to get to West Texas.

It's not the drive there that would bother me. That is so full of anticipation that it would overcome my utter disdain for driving that far. It is the drive back. Couple the malaise that comes with getting off the ship and the long drive I knew I had ahead of me and by the time I got back home, I would feel like I needed a vacation from my vacation.

The trip back home is actually a little cathartic, because you get to think about your trip before hopping back into the every day routines. It's a nice decompression time.

We do an annual 20-hour road trip from Boston to Iowa. I am so used to it that we don't think much of the drive, but I that is with 2 drivers. I wonder if you can set a goal to do the PC cruise in 2-3 years? I think you have to go with your gut on this one.

We want to cruise during Christmas week this year, and the choices of ship are the Wonder or the Fantasy. We've already sailed both, but prefer the Fantasy because we haven't yet seen Aladdin, we enjoy the extra amenities of the Dream class ships, and our last two cruises have been on Magic class ships & we're ready for a change.

The problem is that I currently cannot fly due to an ear problem, so we have to drive from central Texas. The Wonder is sailing from Galveston (4 hour drive), and the Fantasy is sailing from Port Canaveral (18 - 20 hour drive, plus an overnight stop). There are no attractive train or bus options, btw.

I'm leaning towards the Fantasy because it's what we really want, but I'm a single mom driving my 15 year-old son, so it will be me shouldering all the driving.

What's your opinion? Is the longer trip worth it?

We have driven to the port from New York before so about the same amount of time in the car and yes, I thought it was worth it. I loved having my car with us and we just parked it at the port. It was very convenient to leave the ship with a porter and have them walk all the luggage right to our car. We usually spend extra days in Florida so it was wonderful having our car with us for other things.

MJ

Just realize they are taking Wishes away this Fall from the show line up. Frozen is supposed to debut onboard the Fantasy but I don't know when.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!