Is It Worth The Extra Money?

TheM&MBoys

Mouseketeer
We have a SPH room reserved for our upcoming seven night cruise on the Magic. I am trying to justify spending an additional $1000 for a room with a verandah? :confused: Our two boy's ages 7&8 will be cruising with us. Is it worth the extra cost? Thanks in advance for the feedback. :goodvibes

I've had a verahdah and I've had an inside cabin. It's really a personal decision. A romantic breakfast on the verandah is nice...being able to hang out there while a child naps is almost a "must" in my book. I love reading on my verandah. All that assumes the weather is decent. If it's too cold or too hot to enjoy it, you've wasted your money. I can always read in the Cove Cafe.

I do find that whether or not I have a verandah changes some of what I do--no verandah, I'm more likely to spend time in the rainforest or the Cove Cafe. With the verandah, I'll order an "All Hands on Deck" from room service and enjoy my private space.

I'd rather be on the ship more times in a lesser cabin.

So, is it worth $1000. I'd probably say no, but again, personal decision.

We had a SPH room on our 7-night and it was great for us. It was our 1st cruise and we used our room to sleep/clean up in. Our friends had verandah's and they loved them. I just talked to Disney yesterday and you get addtional 9 sq ft inside plus the verandah, is that worth $1000?

Does anyone in your family get up before others? I'm booking another cruise and I'm going to probaly book a Cat 10 again, but that's me.

What one did you get, we where in Cabin 5520. It is on the corner so you only have one connecting wall, very quiet. It was also very close to the elvators.

We had a SPH room on our 7-night and it was great for us. It was our 1st cruise and we used our room to sleep/clean up in. Our friends had verandah's and they loved them. I just talked to Disney yesterday and you get addtional 9 sq ft inside plus the verandah, is that worth $1000?

Does anyone in your family get up before others? I'm booking another cruise and I'm going to probaly book a Cat 10 again, but that's me.

What one did you get, we where in Cabin 5520. It is on the corner so you only have one connecting wall, very quiet. It was also very close to the elvators.

We were in a SPH room (5022) on the Wonder (four nights) last year and it was great! However we only used the room to sleep and clean up as you did. I was thinking on a seven night cruise we might find ourselves in the room more. How was your view from 5520? We were deciding between 5520 and 5020.

My personal opinion is that if you are having to ask the question for yourself then it is not worth it. I haven't cruised disney but have been on two other cruises and one was with a verandah. I knew our travel agent and he scored us a verandah room at no additional charge. To us, it was nice but I would never pay for it. I've flown first class as a wedding gift on my honeymoon before also. Nice but again, I would never pay for it.

My DH and I went around and around last year even trying to decide on deluxe vs moderate hotel at WDW. So many people think it is all about what you can afford and if you can afford it why wouldn't you do it? We can afford and still won't do it while our kids are still young. Chances are your kids are going to like it for a min or two then ask if they can go do something else on the ship anyway. Just a guess here. After much hemming and hawing last year on the WDW room it ended up being a $700 difference to go to a moderate. Total fun money.

This is my long winded way of saying that if I were you, I would not do it unless you think you are going to use the holy crap out of it. A thousand bucks can buy a lot of cool things for kids that age and you might want to think about if someone were to give you that money before you left what you would do with it if upgrading weren't an option.

I bet I get flamed for being so blunt but why not just put $500 in a bank account for each of your kids for their cars when they turn 16, etc. Or 1k in the bank for your next vacation?

Debbie

My personal opinion is that if you are having to ask the question for yourself then it is not worth it. I haven't cruised disney but have been on two other cruises and one was with a verandah. I knew our travel agent and he scored us a verandah room at no additional charge. To us, it was nice but I would never pay for it. I've flown first class as a wedding gift on my honeymoon before also. Nice but again, I would never pay for it.

My DH and I went around and around last year even trying to decide on deluxe vs moderate hotel at WDW. So many people think it is all about what you can afford and if you can afford it why wouldn't you do it? We can afford and still won't do it while our kids are still young. Chances are your kids are going to like it for a min or two then ask if they can go do something else on the ship anyway. Just a guess here. After much hemming and hawing last year on the WDW room it ended up being a $700 difference to go to a moderate. Total fun money.

This is my long winded way of saying that if I were you, I would not do it unless you think you are going to use the holy crap out of it. A thousand bucks can buy a lot of cool things for kids that age and you might want to think about if someone were to give you that money before you left what you would do with it if upgrading weren't an option.

I bet I get flamed for being so blunt but why not just put $500 in a bank account for each of your kids for their cars when they turn 16, etc. Or 1k in the bank for your next vacation?

Debbie

Good advice Debbie :thumbsup2

Personally, I book the cheapest cabin I can get. We really are only in it to sleep and change clothes. Other than that we are out and about on the ship or exploring ports. $1,000 would go a long way towards paying for some fun shore excursions for your family.

On the other hand, on one of the two Disney cruises I've done, my family got the Norwalk virus and were confined to cabin much of the cruise. I would have loved to have had some fresh air in that cabin :sick: On that same cruise, we did book a verandah cabin for my mom who was terminally ill and not always able to leave her cabin. The verandah got a lot of use a a place to visit and give her a view of the ocean and ports. It was well worth the extra money in that case.

There is always the option of trying to upgrade at port for much cheaper than $1000. It happens sometimes but don't hold your breath. If you want verandah then book one, if you could go either way book a porthole and then hope for pixey dust when you check in! ;)

well first you take how much you make after taxes and see how many hours it will take you to get 1,000 dollars. than decide if it will be worth it for you.
in my opinion its not worth it. im only in my room to get dress and do the
5 things that start with S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter