Is it worth getting on ship early

SleepyDeb

Mouseketeer
We're going on our 3rd DCL cruise in a couple of months. Just DH and me. We will be staying at WL for a few nights before hand, so we can do the DCL transfers or take an Uber. I understand that the DCL transport leaves the resorts at around 8:00 and I assume gets to port around 10.

In our prior cruises, we've been sitting around waiting until we can get to our cabin and drop off our carry ons. The thought of getting on the ship at 10 or 10:30 just bores me to tears, but then we've never gotten on the ship so early that it was worth searching for stuff to do besides grabbing lunch at Cabanas. What am I missing that's available to do that wouldn't be a pain to drag carry ons to?

There's also the fact that I am a night owl and the thought of getting up in time for an 8:00 pick up after 3 days of walking around the parks when I could sleep until 10 is awful. Hubby isn't as much of a night owl, but he's not an early riser either.

Is there any reason I'm missing that we should take the DCL transfers.

Unless you were trying to grab a Palo brunch or other specialty thing like tastings there really is no reason to get there early. Most people want to start their vacation as early as possible but it sounds like you know what you want so just go later. Boarding begins around noon and rooms are ready around 2:00 so find your sweet spot to arrive. When you do your online check-in pick a later Port Arrival Time. (then you won't have to stay up until midnight to try an get an early one...win, win).

MJ

We like to get there early just to explore the ship, we usually tour the kids clubs and take pictures of our now big kids in the little kids clubs, before they get locked down for programming. You could eat at cabanas and then grab a lounger in the adult pool area and relax with a drink and read a book until the cabins open up. Enjoy a nice coffee or tea in the cove cafe. Once the rooms open up I like to order Mickey bars from room service while I’m unpacking all my clothes for the trip and put the empty suitcases under the beds to be filled up with dirty clothes as we go along.

Most people want to start their vacation as early as possible but it sounds like you know what you want so just go later.
The question then becomes: Is the cruise the entire vacation...or is the cruise part of the vacation.

The thought of getting on the ship at 10 or 10:30 just bores me to tears, but then we've never gotten on the ship so early that it was worth searching for stuff to do besides grabbing lunch at Cabanas.
Well you probably will be waiting a bit in the port after you arrive before they open boarding, usually after 11. So that part is a bit boring.

But once you are on the ship, and have checked in at your muster station, you can go for a swim (pack a pool bag) and ride the slides with no wait. I also wouldn’t knock the value of an early lunch at Cabanas before the crowds build. Food is super fresh, no lines, and you can get a quiet table with a great view.

For some people it's worth it. For you it sounds like it's not. So... don't. :)

But for what it's worth, I thought why people dislike taking Disney transportation from the resorts is that they leave late. Not early. I thought people who take Disney transportation from WDW usually get to the ship around noon/1pm.

For some people it's worth it. For you it sounds like it's not. So... don't. :)

But for what it's worth, I thought why people dislike taking Disney transportation from the resorts is that they leave late. Not early. I thought people who take Disney transportation from WDW usually get to the ship around noon/1pm.
In 2019 when we stayed 5 nights at the BWI before our cruise on the Fantasy, we took Disney Transportation and were not picked up until after 1:00 pm. By the time we got to the port and boarded the ship, it was too late for lunch or time to explore. In fact, we weren't even on the ship until after 3:00 pm. If I ever do another land & sea with Disney I'll arrange my own transportation to the port.

That was true pre-Covid, but the current pattern has the transfers from the resorts picking up much earlier, some as early as 8am.

I love getting on as early as possible. We grab a table, drop our carryons, change into swIm suits, get lunch and order a drink. Lay in the sun and read until rooms are open. We have been on all the ships so we don’t need to explore. My disabled adult daughter and her best friend know all the ships inside and out. They trek around looking for characters and getting to know staff. We eventually meet up in rooms before they head out to sail away party. I prefer just to unpack and get ready for early show.

That was true pre-Covid, but the current pattern has the transfers from the resorts picking up much earlier, some as early as 8am.
They also don't have to choose a now enforced Port Arrival Time during Online Check in which is great. I had friends who stayed on property and were on the ship in boarding group 3 after Concierge.

For me, the first day is my favorite day. Getting on early is a must. We get lunch before the crowds, the pools are usually empty the first day too! On top of that, if its a new ship I've never been on, I love exploring the ship and getting my bearings on that first day. You are paying for a vacation, why not make the most of your money with more time on the ship?

Yes. We’ve done Disney bus transfers from hotels twice since Covid and both times were early morning pickups.

They also don't have to choose a now enforced Port Arrival Time during Online Check in which is great. I had friends who stayed on property and were on the ship in boarding group 3 after Concierge.
This can be a huge advantage. We booked a last minute cruise recently a few weeks out and the first available PAT was 1pm. Called and added the DCL bus transfers and it changed to no PAT needed and boarding group 3.

If I were staying at WL before the cruise, I would not rush to get to the ship early to sit around with my carry-ons.
I would enjoy breakfast at the lodge, enjoy the resort then head over to the ship midday.

We do carry-on only so felt the same about hanging around with our bags waiting to get into the room the first time.
After that, we got to the ship around one, the boarding process was pretty quick and headed to the room to drop off bags before going for lunch.

When it was just my husband and I sailing, definitely. Our last cruise was our first time sailing with our 2.5 year old and I regret getting an "early" PAT because it set a bad tone for the day. He woke up super early and was ready for a nap by the time we arrived at the terminal. Waiting around bored him--until he found a kid to play with, and then he nearly threw a tantrum when it was time to board the ship. Once we boarded, he wanted to run around the atrium and sit in every porthole window, so it was a struggle getting him to Cabanas to eat. THEN we had to wait until rooms to open. Thankfully, once we got to our room he passed out.

Moral of the story, our next cruise is a Panama Canal crossing so I'm not going to worry about getting on the ship early. I'll arrange for a PAT that gets us to the terminal late so we don't have to wait to board, then have a sit-down lunch, then go straight to the room.

When it was just my husband and I sailing, definitely. Our last cruise was our first time sailing with our 2.5 year old and I regret getting an "early" PAT because it set a bad tone for the day. He woke up super early and was ready for a nap by the time we arrived at the terminal. Waiting around bored him--until he found a kid to play with, and then he nearly threw a tantrum when it was time to board the ship. Once we boarded, he wanted to run around the atrium and sit in every porthole window, so it was a struggle getting him to Cabanas to eat. THEN we had to wait until rooms to open. Thankfully, once we got to our room he passed out.

Moral of the story, our next cruise is a Panama Canal crossing so I'm not going to worry about getting on the ship early. I'll arrange for a PAT that gets us to the terminal late so we don't have to wait to board, then have a sit-down lunch, then go straight to the room.
Just remember the sit down lunch closes earlier than the buffet—I believe around 2pm most sailings.

we usually tour the kids clubs and take pictures of our now big kids in the little kids clubs, before they get locked down for programming.
About when does it start locking down? We've been planning to select a later PAT but checking out the kids clubs is our most important goal so we can walk through it so he's not unfamiliar at the first drop off.

Pre-Covid the DCL transfer bus picked us up mid-morning. My BIL went this past March and said they had to be picked up at 7a due to the pre-boarding testing requirement. So I was wondering, since the testing requirement is stopping if the DCL transfer bus will return to the mid-morning pickup with a port arrival of closer to 11a?

Either way, it doesn't matter to us as we enjoy the DCL transfer and roaming the ship prior to our room being ready. In 2018 we hung out at the adult bar for a while. This year we might actually try to eat lunch as we chose the late dinner seating for the first time. Curious to see if the late dinner seating encourages me to stay up later. LOL

About when does it start locking down? We've been planning to select a later PAT but checking out the kids clubs is our most important goal so we can walk through it so he's not unfamiliar at the first drop off.
It usually locks down after sail away around 5:30-6 because then dining opens and parents who have palo booked have a place to bring their kids.

Pre-Covid the DCL transfer bus picked us up mid-morning. My BIL went this past March and said they had to be picked up at 7a due to the pre-boarding testing requirement. So I was wondering, since the testing requirement is stopping if the DCL transfer bus will return to the mid-morning pickup with a port arrival of closer to 11a?

Either way, it doesn't matter to us as we enjoy the DCL transfer and roaming the ship prior to our room being ready. In 2018 we hung out at the adult bar for a while. This year we might actually try to eat lunch as we chose the late dinner seating for the first time. Curious to see if the late dinner seating encourages me to stay up later. LOL
Reports are that it is still early. We are sailing this week and using transfers and I will report back.

The thought of getting on the ship at 10 or 10:30 just bores me to tears
Nobody boards that early. Boarding doesn't typically begin until 11:30ish (give or take 15 minutes). So early arrival means hang out in the terminal for an hour or so until boarding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts