is it true you cannot apply for roles outside your current role...

wdwscout

DIS Veteran
My son is finishing 2 terms of Career Start this May.
First term he was a lifeguard and was switched to QSFB when Blizzard closed for rehab. Second (current) term he is a character attendant (and LOVES it!).

He was told today, that since he extended, and since he switched roles, he can ONLY apply for jobs as a character attendant (and there is a 10 year wait list :laughing:). He is not allowed to apply for any other roles, and he is not allowed to audition either. He was waiting to get into the stilts class, but was told he couldn't do that either, since he was not eligible for a role there.

He wants more than anything to stay in Orlando and obtain a full time position with Disney. (we know he is not alone ;)) And we thought all along that since he was trained in 3 business lines that that would be great for landing a position once the program ended.
All his hopes were dashed today. :sad2:

I was expecting that the Career Start kids would be given some sort of "preference" in landing real jobs (hence the name CAREER START) and would not be banned from even applying.

What's the deal? Did he get some wrong info- or is that really the case? :confused:

I've never heard anything like that before, and I can't find a web page or anything to contradict it but from anecdotal and secondhand evidence that isn't true... I know a few CareerStart kids who were QSFB, didn't extend, but got full time Custodial/Attraction jobs respectively after their program. I've never heard that extending prevents you from applying for other roles, though it would definitely be easier to go PT or FT in the roles he has experience in.

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

I left out- part of the explanation was that when he switched roles in January, that counted as a "transfer" and you can't transfer again until after 6 months.
But he was told 6 months after May??? Why wouldn't the 6 months since January count?

Oh golly - what a bunch of bull. Did he get his info from one of those people who believe the US government sponsors the CP and Coke pays for the housing? Sorry for my harshness, but there are so many people who are sadly misinformed about processes and then try to pass off information as fact.

1) The character attendant wait is not 10 years. It's not short, but you'll get through quicker by applying for PT over FT.

2) CS/CP are considered seasonal CMs. They can apply for ANY PT/FT roles as both are considered a promotion and therefore the 6 month rule does not apply.

3) I believe there is a limit of when he can apply (I'm think it's 6 weeks prior to the end date), tell him to call Casting and make an appointment. They will also be able to answer many of his questions over the phone.

4) ALL WDW CMs are eligible for Stilt Walker workshops. However, they are only hiring men over 5'8. Some women are getting through as well, but need is for tall men.

Thank you!!!!! :worship:

He got this information at Casting today....
I will tell him to go back and ask someone else. Actually, I'll tell him to call and make an appointment. :thumbsup2

He is 5'10" and was told he met the physical requirements for stilts and he should go to the "interest" class. Last week he waited 2 hours and couldn't get in. He was told only current performers could sign up ahead of time. He planned to go back and wait again this Wednesday. I'll tell him to keep that plan. :)

He just wants to get a job that provides him with a steady enough income so he can pay rent, eat and buy gas... and move up from there as he gains more experience.
He LOVES being there so very much. I cannot see him coming home and working at Traget. He would be so sad. He has grown so much this past year. He is truly "in his element" at WDW.

He should be able to go seasonal at the end of his program. Does he have a clean record card?

Whoa Linda...what the heck? I am so sorry he was given what appears to be some incorrect information. Did he call Casting or did he go over there? Steph went to casting yesterday and I don't think anyone told her anything like that at all...although she does want to stay in her current role. A 10 year waiting list???:confused3 I have never heard of such a thing for an hourly role. I have heard the wait might be long, especially for full time since there will be people ahead of him with seniority, but 10 years?? Geez!

As Berlioz mentioned, he can now apply for FT/PT since they are now within 6 weeks of their program end date (can you believe how quickly that time passed?)

Definitely tell him to keep trying with the class...Steph ran into the same problem when she wanted to go to the color code thing...she was #55 on the waiting list to get in and never did make it in. She will try again on the next one.

At the very least he should be able to get seasonal as long as his record card is clean.

Hang in there, it will all work itself out. I know what you mean about him being sad to return home, I can't imagine Steph coming home now...she would be miserable up here.

Yeah- it's all pretty frustrating. But the news from the boards has helped him and he's going to go back to casting and try again.

He was also going to go try to get in the stilts class again today (not sure if he got in or not yet)

His record card is clean (as far as I know ;)) and he even wants to stay in his current rolse (character attendant). He's willing to do anything though to stay at WDW- even seasonal with another job somewhere else for guaranteed income? Not sure how confident I am about his ability to pay rent, eat, buy gas, etc. if his hours are not guaranteed... how do these kids do it??? :confused:

I do appreciate all the advice. :thumbsup2

I did the spring program last year as an attendant and stayed over the summer as a seasonal cast member. The hours we pretty much exactly the same as how they were when I was a CP and I also got a pay raise. So if he has to wait for FT/PT and chooses to stay as seasonal it won't be so bad especially if he is willing and able to get a side job. Mind you that is just the Summer peak season. After the summer seasonal hours will probably drop off because there wouldn't be as much need. I know that there is a wait for FT in Attendant but it isn't 10 years by any means. I know of someone who was part time that went to full time in about 9 months. She didn't have a ton of seniority either so the wait can't be that ridiculous (10 years) long.

Oh golly - what a bunch of bull. Did he get his info from one of those people who believe the US government sponsors the CP and Coke pays for the housing? Sorry for my harshness, but there are so many people who are sadly misinformed about processes and then try to pass off information as fact.

1) The character attendant wait is not 10 years. It's not short, but you'll get through quicker by applying for PT over FT.

2) CS/CP are considered seasonal CMs. They can apply for ANY PT/FT roles as both are considered a promotion and therefore the 6 month rule does not apply.

3) I believe there is a limit of when he can apply (I'm think it's 6 weeks prior to the end date), tell him to call Casting and make an appointment. They will also be able to answer many of his questions over the phone.

4) ALL WDW CMs are eligible for Stilt Walker workshops. However, they are only hiring men over 5'8. Some women are getting through as well, but need is for tall men.

Amen.

One of my friends started her cp last fall in custodial, & got extended for attractions. She didn't pass her assessment, so she got transferred to qsfb. She just got her extension for the summer in fsfb.
I'm not sure, but I think for seasonal/pt/ft, you can only transfer after 6 months. I sorta remember hearing something like that during my first program (2008), but they might have changed it since then.

It doesn't have to be summer alumni, just summer is fine.

My friend did fall in attractions, extended into spring in attractions, and then got performer for the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter