Is it rude to hold a place in line waiting at entrance to park for another family?

Would it be considered rude to allow a family of four we are travelling with to join us in line at the entrances to give them a bit more time to get ready in the morning? Or is this considered cutting and would be frowned upon by others in line? Don't want to offend anyone (some of us Canadians are funny that way).
Yes

It’s all about the ratio. At minimum the majority of people have to already be in line. Like if you are a group of 10 and 4 more join in that’s fair in my eyes. If you are 3 and 4 more join you deserve a good heckling.

Also a party of 4 is really pushing it. One or two people hopping into a group is a complete non issue in my eyes. I feel like people are a little too uptight about the subject.

This reminds me of the time I was in line for Rockin Roller Coaster at WDW 5 years ago. A group of 6 adults, who weren't with anybody in line, walked into the line right ahead of me. Everyone around (including me) had a very angry frown on their face. We were pretty far in the line. Everyone kept quiet. I didn't say anything because people are crazy these days.

Off topic, but why doesn't Disneyland have a specific line for MK holders for park entry? All we do is scan. Seems like it wouldn't be difficult. I bet a MK line backed up to DCA from Disneyland would clear faster than one that reaches the monorail tracks with regular guests. That's my entitlement. I want a specific line for park entry.
Because when they tried it about 10 +/- years ago, it didn't work out well. They still have the signs on the turnstiles. What went wrong before? Scene 1 - Family waits in what appears to be a shorter line, only to get to the front and be told "This is the annual pass line, please get in line in the regular line (which is now even longer)". Scene 2 - Annual passholder approaches turnstile with 5 friends who have day tickets "Hi, I'm and AP and they are with me".... Scene 3 - Annual Passholder approaches turnstile with young child with a day ticket "Hi, I'm an Annual passholder and my son is 5, he needs to come thru with me."

Add to it, in the past, APs (using AP instead of MK as this was when it was tested) represented a large portion of the attendance on many days, and having it would be more like having 1/2 the gates being AP gates and 1/2 for day tickets.

So, while you are looking for the right line, look for people with either nothing in their hands, or with papers. They will be the same ones who don't have their bags open and ready at bag check, or push their stroller thru and security has to pull the stroller back to go thru all the bags underneath....

My 'rule' (although I never have a large party so for me it's theoretical) is that the number of people joining should never be more than 1/2 the number standing in line up to a maximum of 3 for parties over 6. So a party of 4 should only allow 2 people to join them, a party of 6 should allow 3, but a party of 5 or more should only allow 3. Don't ask me where I came up with the arbitrary 3, I have no idea.

Exceptions made for parties of 1 to allow for 1 other person to join them, people with small kidlets in tow under the assumption it was a potty emergency, and people assisting a person with disabilities.

The people fiddling around with their phone looking for their tickets after standing in line for 10 minutes is more annoying.
We have a routine where most of the adults with MK have their own up and ready, then 1 person is assigned to those who have regular tickets and kids (and me as I am at the HA gate.) She has them lined up and stands to the side and scans each one and they get their pic. Takes a few seconds. It works well as we have a great system and the CM always laughs and says "You guys have it perfected!"

We have a routine where most of the adults with MK have their own up and ready, then 1 person is assigned to those who have regular tickets and kids (and me as I am at the HA gate.) She has them lined up and stands to the side and scans each one and they get their pic. Takes a few seconds. It works well as we have a great system and the CM always laughs and says "You guys have it perfected!"
I will be travelling next summer and want park entry to be as easy as possible for our group. We're staying at VGC so can make use of the early entry! My nephew may have trouble queueing for long periods so I am wondering if it's better for him and my SIL to wait until they can walk in and meet us?
Also (just because I don't want to be an unprepared NOOB!) can you please explain they entry process? Our party will be 3 adults and 2 kids, we will all have 5 day passes. Is it just the first day they take pictures? Do I need a print out to take with us all the time - if so I will take some plastic document wallets to keep them safe! Thanks :flower3:

I will be travelling next summer and want park entry to be as easy as possible for our group. We're staying at VGC so can make use of the early entry! My nephew may have trouble queueing for long periods so I am wondering if it's better for him and my SIL to wait until they can walk in and meet us?
Also (just because I don't want to be an unprepared NOOB!) can you please explain they entry process? Our party will be 3 adults and 2 kids, we will all have 5 day passes. Is it just the first day they take pictures? Do I need a print out to take with us all the time - if so I will take some plastic document wallets to keep them safe! Thanks :flower3:
They just take a photo the first day. They will scan your print out, then issue you a ticket. This ticket will be used to enter every other day, and can be used to access G+/ILL reservations. Your photo will pop up on the screen when you use your ticket at the gate.
You also should be able to access your ticket and any tickets connected to your account on the app. This can also be scanned when you enter the park and used to access Lightening Lane.
You do not need to save your original voucher.

I’m also of the opinion that if it’s a bathroom run or similar with someone who’s been in line stepping out briefly that’s one thing (lines and days are long). If it’s a group arriving to join you, drop back and join them at the end of the line if being together before being inside the park is that important. Like others have mentioned, people got up early during their vacation to be in that position.

All that being said, I have a MUCH bigger issue when 1 or 2 people are standing in line at a ride and 6 people join them right before we get on the ride. Had that happen a few months ago-- a middle-age mom waiting in line and then *6* teenagers come walking up, fresh slushies in hand, pushing by us (not even so much as an "excuse me"). That one burned my biscuits a bit as they literally extended our wait by 6 people!
This exact thing happened to us at a non-Disney theme park in August 2021 and the cast member actually told them sorry, you can't ride and made them go to the back of the line! I was shocked, but glad that they enforced it.

...avoid any messes or awkward moments by meeting the rest of your party at such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time. [ie: in front of ABC store at 10:30AM]

I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it if someone did that in front of me, but I also wouldn’t do that to other people if it was a whole family. We did a trip with friends recently who wanted to rope drop so we just went in later and met up with them at a meal or ride. We do have 3 young kids though, and are definitely guilty of the bathroom emergency situation where one of us has to take a kid to the bathroom and come back in line, so I understand there are some situations where someone joins the line later. I swear, my son could’ve literally just gone to the bathroom before we got in line, and a minute before we’re about to board the ride he’ll have to suddenly go really badly again. Luckily CMs and other guests have been understanding of that situation, otherwise we’d waste a lot of time waiting in the same lines again.
LOL! I know what you mean by kids just going to the bathroom and then get in line and have to again! My granddaughter couldn't pass a bathroom even if she just visited one:) She was 5 at the time. So we did have to get in and out of lines a lot until she got over it. But it was just her and one adult. I still don't know what she found so fascinating about disney's bathrooms, LOL

If I see a single male, that is not a teen, at the front of the line, I know there is a 90% chance a family is going to pop up the last minute. It pretty much happens every day on every trip. So I'd rather get in back of the 3 person family than that guy who may have 12 people joining him. :)

I was about to start a thread when I saw this one. We are annual pass holders so we're frequently at the parks and have been witnessing what seems to be an increase in line cutting incidents. For example, a couple of weeks ago, we were in line for Flights of Passage at AK. During our wait, two adult couples and one adult with a teen separately came up behind us saying "Excuse me, I'm trying to get to my family...they're further ahead". We did see that two of those groups eventually reached what I assume was their family. Not sure about the third. A similar thing happened at the Pirates of Caribbean a week later. Finally, this past week, we were in line waiting to get in the Studios at opening. Several groups arrived and simply walked ahead of everyone else to meet someone who was significantly futher ahead in line. These are just recent examples of what we've been seeing in the past year or so. Hey, I understand the necessity of taking a child to the bathroom and rejoining your family...not a problem. But full-grown-adults? Just because you are incapable of managing to arrive at the attraction or park at the same time, does that allow you to cut ahead of everyone else who can tell time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter