Is it Really Better Staying On Property?

Seems like the OFF property crew is more into a FLORIDA vacation than a DISNEY one....doing more off site things and needing more space and seclusion..for me its always on property. I find it more relaxing to stand squished in a bus than have to find my HOT>>>car and fight traffic all the way to my rental house

I definitely disagree with that statement. We've done Universal and Sea World, but our trips to Orlando are always Disney-centered if not solely WDW. We seldom do anything outside WDW. A lot of the rental houses have well-themed rooms that keep you immersed into the Disney culture too. Just because you're off-site doesn't completely remove you from the Disney "bubble"

Perhaps the OP tried the wrong DVC resort for quick bus transport. AKV is very far away from everything, besides DAK and having stayed there, I agree that the buses are exceedingly slow. But I wouldn't necessarily rule out DVC for a large family, Old Key West is fairly centrally located, very spacious and very economical points wise. If you get a hospitality house booking the bus situation is not too bad. I would say that going to AKV for a park visit could be frustrating. Perhaps that's why people do split stays so much in the DVC community. They move closer to the park they want to go to and either walk (BWV, BCV, BLT) or take boats etc. But to each their own, good luck OP!

That trip was the only time we've stayed in a villa; however we've stayed at multiple Disney resorts and found the waits to be similar in most, although both times we stayed at AKL, it was indeed worse than others. That's why I was using general times since I felt those times were accurate and conservative regardless of the resort.

Seems like the OFF property crew is more into a FLORIDA vacation than a DISNEY one....doing more off site things and needing more space and seclusion..for me its always on property. I find it more relaxing to stand squished in a bus than have to find my HOT>>>car and fight traffic all the way to my rental house

I definitely disagree with that statement. We've done Universal and Sea World, but our trips to Orlando are always Disney-centered if not solely WDW. We seldom do anything outside WDW. A lot of the rental houses have well-themed rooms that keep you immersed into the Disney culture too. Just because you're off-site doesn't completely remove you from the Disney "bubble"

I definitely agree about people who stay off property not necessarily being less focused on Disney World. We have stayed off-site quite a few times and pretty much only done Disney World (our first trip we also went to Sea World). We most commonly tell people when asked to compare the two is that the difference is that staying off-site is going on vacation *to* Disney World, whereas staying on-site is going on vacation *at* Disney World. That distinction may not work for everyone, but it has been clear to most of the people we've said it to.

Apparently that means it's $98 per night if we go tomorrow :sad: next March/April, the pricing as of now is anywhere from $112 to $172 per night depending on what day it is. It may go up the closer you book to arrival date, I'm not sure. We generally only book 4-5 months out, so that may drive the price up, because I've seen the value resorts even more expensive than that. There are only two of us, no kids, so we can stay somewhere fairly nice off site for $90/night. Last time we got a beautifully renovated room at a golf resort, complete with all the amenities and a kitchen, for like $80/night. I WISH Disney were that affordable, but it just never has been in the six years we've gone.

I always look for the codes and see which ones apply to me. Sometimes I can travel when there is a discount and other times I cannot, but I try to "buy on sale".

I always look for the codes and see which ones apply to me. Sometimes I can travel when there is a discount and other times I cannot, but I try to "buy on sale".

I do agree with codes and special offers, you can occasionally get the net rate of a room under $100, but I still don't think it's apples to apples. At any of the All-Star resorts or Pop, you're basically getting a clean, but cheap hotel with intense theming, a food court, gift shop, community pools, and bus service. At the off-site homes, you're getting what is usually more comfortable bed, kitchen, private pool, and not having to wait on the buses. It's definitely personal preference though.

I do agree with codes and special offers, you can occasionally get the net rate of a room under $100, but I still don't think it's apples to apples. At any of the All-Star resorts or Pop, you're basically getting a clean, but cheap hotel with intense theming, a food court, gift shop, community pools, and bus service. At the off-site homes, you're getting what is usually more comfortable bed, kitchen, private pool, and not having to wait on the buses. It's definitely personal preference though.

I agree, there is no comparison in regards to price. I was just saying that with codes it is possible to get the cost down if you want to stay onsite.

When we decide to do an Orlando area attractions vacation we will be renting a house, and not a hotel room. More space, comfort and convenience for less money.

I stayed off property many times and was a day tripper at times too. I can tell you nothing to me beats staying on property. Our first stay on property was POP. We have since stayed at POR, AOA and FWC. We have enjoyed the Disney transportation and the overall just being in the resorts. Staying offsite, if I used their transportation, I was picked up when they told me their pickup times were. I have not looked back since we have been staying onsite.

We've done both although our on-site stays have been at Shades of Green. We were planning to stay this upcoming trip at Beach Club, but I was hoping for some discounts that didn't materialize. I just could not justify the cost. So we are back off-site at Windsor Hills. I can certainly understand for people who don't go often that the idea of driving could be daunting, but we've been at lot and know our way around pretty well including some back roads that help us avoid traffic. Generally we found we could move around much easier and faster in our own car than using buses. And, I will say that I really hated the buses, but I know others have no problem with them.

We are a family of 5 when we travel with our kids, so the added space is huge for us. I like having a kitchen and space to spread out as well. We don't usually eat any big meals at the rentals, but we do have snacks and drinks and coffee etc and we usually do an early breakfast before heading to the park. I really enjoy that. Otherwise we eat in the parks or in restaurants on 192. At some point I'll splurge and stay at a deluxe on-site, but so far every time I've priced it out, I end up talking myself out of it because of the steep price point.

I am a diehard " Momcation" meaning off site, my fav is with Dave at vacation rentals Windsor Hills. My breath was taken away as the primary person responsible for making a vacation fun for everyone, but heck, what about heavenly for me.
Last year week at Sports, over $1,100 for four of us. Windsor Hills $599 with a $75 cleaning fee late October. It was 15 minutes for the park, easy in and out, off site selections. The home was spotless, three bedrooms, three bathrooms Disney themed. There was a private screened in gated pool in the back. A washer dryer upstairs. HUGE closets! You could fit a twin bed in the closet alone. They slept 8 people.

Quiet, gated, a large pool, game room and movies, with small store. It was one exit after the last resort exit sign. Last year they remodeled a Frozen themed condo.
Look on YouTube for video. We stayed in a place a lady Debbie owned 2632 Maneshaw I believe. I will return there every trip!

There was a portacrib, stroller, high hair, in the closet off the kitchen. TV in every room. We ate great meals off site, stopped at Pubix and Walmart, Wagreens, or CVS.
When I go home I haven't been cramped, no whiney kids, dh and I have a huge king bed for wonderful night sleep. The only downside, you replenish your Toilet paper, laundry detergent and pick up paper towels. Not a biggie though. The bath/pool towels are there, coffee pot, toaster, dishwasher, microwave, full size fridge and freezer with ice.

I stayed at Blue Tree, Suites, and onsite was the majority of past trips. I grew to dislike riding/standing in crowded freezing buses, eating poor to mediocre food most meals, and being cramped in four walls or busting the vacation bank.

I'd rather have the money go to AP and second or third trips.

Last edited:
We have stayed at both, and have found our favorite stay is at a deluxe resort with our own car here for our use. Last year we stayed at a Bonnet Creek one bedroom with a kitchen, and it was perfect except there were no umbrellas over the pool chaises. There were umbrellas over the tables, but alas, they could not be moved. This may seem like nothing, but I am very fair and I have already had skin cancer once. Otherwise, the room was perfect and huge for two people. It was such a good deal I am thinking of renting from an owner again and just bringing my own umbrella. We have also rented points from DVC members for a one bedroom at both AKL and SSR for excellent rates. Combined with having our own car, we are able to be comfortable and get around the property easily. My husband gets lost easily when he is tired or distracted. I learned early that I would need to navigate the exits and couldn't just chat or chill out or fall asleep like I would like. It is a two-person job getting around the central Florida highways for us. We do it together and we are fine. I fall asleep and we are somewhere in South Florida. Years of doing it doesn't make it any easier. Those roads are intentionally confusing. You get lost and you get stuck on a toll road, or a road that makes it impossible to turn around, or a road of endless restaurants and trinket stores. Ugh.

We have done both many times, but all onsite now. EMH and Magical Express...end of story. Plus, and I know this is weird, I hate staying in a villa on vacation- I want a hotel. Just feels like vacation, hard to explain. Finally, we used to stay and spend a lot of time in the area right outside DTD, and that's starting to get run down.

We have done both many times, but all onsite now. EMH and Magical Express...end of story. Plus, and I know this is weird, I hate staying in a villa on vacation- I want a hotel. Just feels like vacation, hard to explain. Finally, we used to stay and spend a lot of time in the area right outside DTD, and that's starting to get run down.

Haha. I get that. I used to be the same way, but now I travel so much for work and live in hotels, I don't feel that way any more. I definitely, definitely, definitely get that though!

Love that you have a big family! We also have 6 kids (almost 1 to 16). We've done on site and off site. Honesty I don't even want to go if I have to stay offsite. It's too much hassle with 2 babies (2 and almost 1). I only stay at MK area (monorail) resorts when I have babies/toddlers. They need naps midday and I like to be a short walk or monorail ride from "home" for convenience. DH stays with the big kids at the parks so that I can take them back for a nap. It's not worth it to me to leave our house if we can't have the full Disney experience.

Look into 2 rooms or the suites. You have other options than DVC 2br

Love that you have a big family! We also have 6 kids (almost 1 to 16). We've done on site and off site. Honesty I don't even want to go if I have to stay offsite. It's too much hassle with 2 babies (2 and almost 1). I only stay at MK area (monorail) resorts when I have babies/toddlers. They need naps midday and I like to be a short walk or monorail ride from "home" for convenience. DH stays with the big kids at the parks so that I can take them back for a nap. It's not worth it to me to leave our house if we can't have the full Disney experience.

Look into 2 rooms or the suites. You have other options than DVC 2br

I may be wrong, but there are no options outside 2BR for a family of 8. The suites only accommodate up to 6 I believe. My youngest is 3 (almost 4) so a pack and play isn't an option for him. We thought about the 2 room thing, but don't like that option since adjoining rooms aren't guaranteed. I definitely agree that monorail resorts would be the top choice for most families, but that's also a challenge in itself. We tried to get a 2BR at any monorail resort for our last trip and couldn't find any availability. We're not currently DVC members and were renting points so I know that plays into it, but it wasn't for a lack of trying that we didn't get that option. It's crazy with a family our sizes; however it's starting to be more and more "normal" if that's even an appropriate definition for a family our size. lol.

I may be wrong, but there are no options outside 2BR for a family of 8. The suites only accommodate up to 6 I believe. My youngest is 3 (almost 4) so a pack and play isn't an option for him. We thought about the 2 room thing, but don't like that option since adjoining rooms aren't guaranteed. I definitely agree that monorail resorts would be the top choice for most families, but that's also a challenge in itself. We tried to get a 2BR at any monorail resort for our last trip and couldn't find any availability. We're not currently DVC members and were renting points so I know that plays into it, but it wasn't for a lack of trying that we didn't get that option. It's crazy with a family our sizes; however it's starting to be more and more "normal" if that's even an appropriate definition for a family our size. lol.

No, there are several MK hotel area suites that sleep 8. The ambassador at poly is wonderful. We stayed there over 4th of July. Contemporary has a beautiful 2br club level and presidential suite. Grand Floridian has a few 2br suites with club level access.

Boardwalk has the steeplechase suite, yacht club has the captain's deck suite, swan and dolphin have great prices on grand and executive suites that sleep 8 with the 2 room connection option.

And also, Disney will guarantee connecting rooms for families. You need to call and book with a DTC agent, but our last 3 trips were all booked as "guaranteed connecting rooms for families" and we didn't have a problem.

No, there are several MK hotel area suites that sleep 8. The ambassador at poly is wonderful. We stayed there over 4th of July. Contemporary has a beautiful 2br club level and presidential suite. Grand Floridian has a few 2br suites with club level access.

Boardwalk has the steeplechase suite, yacht club has the captain's deck suite, swan and dolphin have great prices on grand and executive suites that sleep 8 with the 2 room connection option.

And also, Disney will guarantee connecting rooms for families. You need to call and book with a DTC agent, but our last 3 trips were all booked as "guaranteed connecting rooms for families" and we didn't have a problem.

that's really good to know. I would think suites would be just as costly as villas; however getting guaranteed connecting rooms would be awesome! We've requested it many times in the past, but it was when we were traveling with either another family or extended family. Each time we were told it couldn't be guaranteed. Thanks for the info!

I have always been an advocate for staying on-property. From the resort theming to the bus service, I've always felt that was the only way to go. That doesn't mean we haven't done our fair share of trips staying off-site. My family has been looking closely at DVC and even investing into a vacation home offsite lately and as the uber planner in me would do, I began to really analyze whether or not it's worth it in every case.

Let me preface my argument by saying, my family is unusual to most. We are a large family. I have 6 kids ages 3-14 so our resort choices are very limited. We recently adopted 4 so our family just crossed over from "regular rooms" to "Only 2BR Villas or larger will work". Staying in 2 separate rooms is not something we're interested in. We recently stayed at AKL Villas back in May and that was our first trip to WDW with the new members of our family.

I've often lamented over the occasional long wait for a bus and the rides over to the parks, but none more than after this latest trip. Each day, we waited at the bus stop for a minimum of 10-15 minutes. Most days, our bus ride was another 15-25 minutes (depending on which park we headed to). The same was true for our return trip, and sometimes longer depending on what time we left the parks (if we had to wait for a 2nd bus to arrive since the 1st was full). Obviously, if you're staying at the Contemporary or BLT, then there's no question here, but most other resorts those stats hold true.

Some of the off-site properties are less than 15 minutes from the parks and there is no waiting for your transportation to arrive. With that in mind vs. having your own car, isn't the argument valid for staying off-site IF you're looking at a convenience aspect? There are definitely variables such as having your own car, wanting to drive, etc.. and I know the buses drop you off right at the entrance to the MK vs. having to go via monorail or ferry from the TTC, but even then the monorail is kind of an attraction BEFORE the parks so that argument could be a draw.

I've already made my mind up it's not as much of a slam dunk in favor of staying on-site as I used to think, especially in my case. I'm really just curious about other's opinions.

Last edited:
that's really good to know. I would think suites would be just as costly as villas; however getting guaranteed connecting rooms would be awesome! We've requested it many times in the past, but it was when we were traveling with either another family or extended family. Each time we were told it couldn't be guaranteed. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome! It was a DTC agent that actually gave me the "guaranteed connecting rooms for families" info. She said that you need to tell the agent it is a mom, a dad, and 6 minors all living under one roof and then they will book it under a special guarantee that your rooms will connect. She said they won't do it for aunts, uncles, grandma/grandpa, or if there are non-minor children, but if you are like us with all minors and a mom and dad and no other adults they will put the guarantee in. :)

I didn't read all the responses, but this is something I go back and forth on as well since we are a family of 6 (4 kids between the ages of 12 - 2). My youngest just turned two so we have been able to stay on-site in one room since we was officially an infant, but we've officially hit the "too many people for one room" problem now that he is older.

I love staying on site. We always drive since we have a large stroller and always have too much stuff that makes getting on and off buses with four kids very hard and awkward. I personally don't/won't take onsite transportation into consideration when making our choice since we don't use it. But I love EMH, making ADR's 180+10, FP 60 days instead of 30. Are these enough to justify higher cost for lodging? That's where I always find myself stuck. My SIL and BIL go for a week and spend $400/week for lodging (they are also a family of 6 like us), where as we can easily end up spending around $400/night onsite o_O. They get a house with kitchen and a pool....but they also stay about 25 minutes away, which to me seems sooooo far away. Also, she has a really hard time getting ADR's and FP selections for some of the really popular things.

If money was no object, I'd buy DVC and get a villa for our vacations so we could have a kitchen, etc. Since that's not an option, I'm looking into renting DVC (two connecting standard rooms) for one of our future visits (probably BLT so we can walk to MK; don't mind driving to the rest). I'd like to atleast see how that works for us since we still get all the benefits of staying onsite at a deluxe but without the hefty price tag. If we find that a kitchen and extra space is definitely needed as our kids grow (which I'm anticipating will happen sooner rather than later), then we'll look into offsite lodging for our family vacations and I'll try to get my onsite fix when (ok IF) my hubby and I ever get to go to WDW alone :smooth:

I really like onsite. I don't want to rent a car. Driving gives me anxiety, moreso when the area is unfamiliar and crowded - and my spouse can't drive anymore due to a medical condition. It also means when I go with other friends and family, we can split up with no problems and no one will be stranded. Buses don't really bother me, I used to take the bus all the time to get to grad school classes. I would take the bus to work if I could (instead I have a 45-60min commute, ugh).

You're welcome! It was a DTC agent that actually gave me the "guaranteed connecting rooms for families" info. She said that you need to tell the agent it is a mom, a dad, and 6 minors all living under one roof and then they will book it under a special guarantee that your rooms will connect. She said they won't do it for aunts, uncles, grandma/grandpa, or if there are non-minor children, but if you are like us with all minors and a mom and dad and no other adults they will put the guarantee in. :)

Unfortunately connecting rooms are never guaranteed no matter what your reservation states. Many posters have had that on their reservation and still not received them.

Disney does what they can bit as they don't block out rooms as they are booked there is no way for them to guarantee connecting rooms. If you get them count yourself lucky. No matter what your reservation states connecting rooms are NOT guaranteed.

Last edited:

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest