Is it "here we go again" !!!!!!with recent low attendance? update 3/11

But it's not like those in-park surveys are the only way that Disney is gathering information about what Guests want.
Wherever they got their info on EE from, it took them down the wrong path.

If the decisions to add CC and cut EE were unrelated, why did the announcement read like it did (see gcurling's post), and why did CC go away when EE came back? After all, guests still wanted more characters, right?

Originally posted by raidermatt
why did CC go away when EE came back? After all, guests still wanted more characters, right?

Characters were moved to the theme park itself. If you notice, there are tons more characters in the parks at opening. In addition, Pluto, and Chip & Dale ride the MK Ferry in the morning.

Extra!! Extra!!
Read all about it!!

LandBaron Praises Disney!!

Characters were moved to the theme park itself. If you notice, there are tons more characters in the parks at opening. In addition, Pluto, and Chip & Dale ride the MK Ferry in the morning.
Yep!! That is one of the very, very, very nice recent additions that I have noticed that added gobs and gobs of pixie dust on our recent trips!!

These characters are all over the place!! And at all times of day and night (assuming there is a night!!).

I commend Disney for doing it right in this regard and not just having "meet & greet" areas!!

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!

It's not about E-Ticket necessarily. It's this kind of stuff. But there's got to be a whole bunch of them to make any sizable difference. And this alone doesn't even come close to comparing to the slashed (MURDERED) hours!!

But it is a start!!

I'm just hoping all this isn't going to effect us like it did 2 yrs ago!!

Well, it happened!!! They messed up this vacation just like they did 2 years ago!!!!!!!

They just cut hours DRASTICALLY for the week we are there!!! Giving us only ONE chance to see the MK fireworks (the previous schedule had fireworks every night!!!!!) And only one chance to see Spectro Magic!!!!
AND shortening MGM hours by 1 1/2 hours!!!!!
But it is the shorter hours at MK that is really getting me ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
It means they will be closing even before the sun goes down!!!!
And I am paying PEAK prices !!!!!!!!

AND........they cancelled our character lunch at MGM!!!!!!!!
AND ........the PS we had a MK for one of the evenings that just got CUT!!!!!

Okay....I'm calling and emailing!

THANKS for letting me vent!!!!!!!!!!

Wherever they got their info on EE from, it took them down the wrong path. If the decisions to add CC and cut EE were unrelated, why did the announcement read like it did (see gcurling's post), and why did CC go away when EE came back? After all, guests still wanted more characters, right?
I didn't say they weren't related. I was just commenting on your post about guest surveys, since you were implying that they were the only way Disney was getting feedback.

As for how the announcement read .... I would imagine that the announcement was written by a PR or Communications Department, and it's their job to put that kind of a spin on things. You certainly didn't expect Disney to release an announcement that said, "Hey y'all ... we're seriously trying to save some money here and we discovered that it costs way less to put characters on a bus and drop them at a Resort for a few hours than it does to open a park 90 mins early every morning, so here's the plan." The bottom line is that guests wanted to see more characters, and Disney needed to save some money. So they tried something. It didn't work. People complained, so EE came back. AND more characters were put into the parks. So ... in the end, the Guest got what they wanted. Isn't that kind of how the system is supposed to work?

:earsboy:

in the end, the Guest got what they wanted. Isn't that kind of how the system is supposed to work?
No, it shouldn't require letter writing campaigns, thousands of posts on message boards, and visits to Guests Services and City Hall. And, the PR folks should have known that the readers of their spin weren't idiots.

Originally posted by gcurling
No, it shouldn't require letter writing campaigns, thousands of posts on message boards, and visits to Guests Services and City Hall.
Well, yeah. It should. If a company tries something (whether it's bringing back Cabbage Patch Kids or developing New Coke), they try it so they see what kind of reaction they get. Will people spend money on their experiment, or not? Will people be incensed that they changed something, or will they accept the new product? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but stuff gets tried because you want to see what will happen. You NEED that feedback -- good, bad or ugly. Even if the feedback proves that you're wrong.

I would pretty much bet that, at the time the substitution of CC for EE was implemented, it was done so as a short term solution. A knee-jerk reaction to needing to quickly cut budgets, but to also develop something that could help take care of the "not enough characters" problem. My guess would be that the plan all along was to cut EE for a while to save some cash and put a short-term character solution out there. That gives the Character people a little breathing room and a chance to figure out a real plan to increase the character presence in the parks. And then, when the time was right budgetarily, they bring EE back with fanfare PLUS they add all this new character presence in the park. Thereby creating a new marketing hook.

But whether that's the case or not, the letter writing campaigns and the message board posts and the visits to Guest Services and City Hall are exactly the reaction you want to see, because it gives you the feedback you need to preserve the program in the long term.

Originally posted by WDSearcher
Well, yeah. It should. If a company tries something (whether it's bringing back Cabbage Patch Kids or developing New Coke), they try it so they see what kind of reaction they get. Will people spend money on their experiment, or not? Will people be incensed that they changed something, or will they accept the new product? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but stuff gets tried because you want to see what will happen. You NEED that feedback -- good, bad or ugly. Even if the feedback proves that you're wrong.

I would pretty much bet that, at the time the substitution of CC for EE was implemented, it was done so as a short term solution. A knee-jerk reaction to needing to quickly cut budgets, but to also develop something that could help take care of the "not enough characters" problem. My guess would be that the plan all along was to cut EE for a while to save some cash and put a short-term character solution out there. That gives the Character people a little breathing room and a chance to figure out a real plan to increase the character presence in the parks. And then, when the time was right budgetarily, they bring EE back with fanfare PLUS they add all this new character presence in the park. Thereby creating a new marketing hook.

But whether that's the case or not, the letter writing campaigns and the message board posts and the visits to Guest Services and City Hall are exactly the reaction you want to see, because it gives you the feedback you need to preserve the program in the long term.

I'm running a business. One day, my shop has 100 happy customers. Fast Forward a year. I'm still running the same shop, but I've only got 25 customers since I stopped my frequent buyer club discount. I've heard from 50 of my customers telling me they didn't like the change, so I bring the discount back. Only problem once I make the change back, I only have 75 customers in my store.

Is that a successful way to do business? What happened to the other 25 customers? They found somewhere else to go, but they didn't bother to tell me why they left.

Running a successful business means you provide products the customer wants, BEFORE they enter your store. Making them tell you what they want back means your business will never be the same.

What I meant was that it shouldn't take all of that to reverse a stupid decision. The stupid decision should not be made in the first place.

Any company that relies on it's customer's to pro-actively tell it what they want is doomed to failure because the simple fact is that 999 out of 1000 customers are NOT going to do it. And in addition the 0.1% that do pro-actively contact the company do NOT significantly represent the opinions of the other 999.

The biggest single differentiator between successful and unsuccessful companies is their abilities to identify what their customers want and understand what their customers might say.

What I meant was that it shouldn't take all of that to reverse a stupid decision. The stupid decision should not be made in the first place.

So which is worse, doing something wrong or not doing something right? I'm sure their stupid decisions sound good to them before they do it. I doubt there is a meeting where they TRY to figure out how to upset guests while spending MORE money.

Yes, in a perfect world. But the decision that looks stupid today might have been the best solution at the time. If you've got a director or a VP telling you to cut expenses and you know from your own view of the finances that this has to be done, you have to come up with some cuts somewhere. You don't want to, maybe, and you know that people are going to be mad at the decision, but you do what you can because that's your job. And you hope that the guests will be out there to complain because you want and need a reason to bring that program back. I'm not saying that always happens, but it's not like cuts like that are made on a whim.

Originally posted by HB2K
I'm running a business. One day, my shop has 100 happy customers. Fast Forward a year. I'm still running the same shop, but I've only got 25 customers since I stopped my frequent buyer club discount. I've heard from 50 of my customers telling me they didn't like the change, so I bring the discount back. Only problem once I make the change back, I only have 75 customers in my store. Is that a successful way to do business?
I can't answer that without knowing WHY you stopped the frequent buyer club discount. Presumably you had a reason, and didn't just do it on a whim. You didn't just wake up one day and decide to cut a successful program. You did it because, at the time, it seemed like a sound decision and the solution to a problem you had. And even if the only reason you did it was "to find out what would happen," you've done that.

What happened to the other 25 customers? They found somewhere else to go, but they didn't bother to tell me why they left.
So you either track them down and find out, while reminding them that you have this "new and improved" buying club discount to offer them, or you count on new customers coming in. Maybe you get those 25 back, maybe you don't. Either way, it was your decision to cut the program in the first place. You knew there were risks, but again ... you took them because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

There are time when I really wonder...

So you either track them down and find out, while reminding them that you have this "new and improved" buying club discount to offer them, or you count on new customers coming in. Maybe you get those 25 back, maybe you don't. Either way, it was your decision to cut the program in the first place. You knew there were risks, but again ... you took them because it seemed like a good idea at the time.
How much did it cost you to try to get those 25 back? And no, you never get them all back. Walt said it, and its a tried and true business adage...It costs a heck of a lot more to bring a customer back than it does to keep him in the first place.

Seemed like a good idea at the time? Who cares? As has been pointed out, this is the real world, and ALL that matters is the results. In the above scenario, 25 customers are gone.

In Disney's case, those customers are gone because they abandoned the successful business model that built their empire, and instead are using the same practices used by many other companies.

If doing things just like everybody else is good enough, why aren't there dozens of web communities for other companies?

And even if the only reason you did it was "to find out what would happen," you've done that.
Now we're stepping beyond "like everybody else" and into plain suicide. A service company doesn't cut services just to "find out what would happen." At the very least they need to accurately do their research and be confident of what the overall impact will be before they make the cut, for the costs of being wrong will outweigh any benefit from the cut.

Not only did Disney not make the decision using the DISNEY business plan, they didn't even do a good job of being like everybody else.

No, it shouldn't require letter writing campaigns, thousands of posts on message boards, and visits to Guests Services and City Hall.
Well, yeah. It should.
No, it shouldn't. For if this does happen, you've messed up royally. Again, real world here, you've lost customers and you've lost money. That's a much more serious problem than you seem to realize. Disney made this cut even though it flies in the face of everything they were built on, and they made it worse by not understanding what they true impact would be.

Its not like they came out with a new product or reintroduced an old one and the public didn't respond like they hoped. This wasn't the good old college try at innovation. This was an attempt to see how much they could get away with. You will get burned more often than not when you follow this strategy.

I can't answer that without knowing WHY you stopped the frequent buyer club discount. Presumably you had a reason, and didn't just do it on a whim. You didn't just wake up one day and decide to cut a successful program. You did it because, at the time, it seemed like a sound decision and the solution to a problem you had. And even if the only reason you did it was "to find out what would happen," you've done that.

Fair enough.

Since my business of selling computer programs was so successful, I decide to start selling computers. I have no idea how to build a computer, but it can't be that hard....I can buy non brand name parts cheap, and noone will know the difference....they buy my software, they'll buy my computers.

So I finish my first model, and all of my customers buy it. I then make another, and another, and another, all the while people keep buying my software as always...

But it's a funny thing, I keep hearing I'm not that good at making computers. People start buying less and less of em....It can't be the computers that are the problem, so I decide I need to hire some flashy marketing guys, etc....but the money's got to come from somewhere....oh I got it, the software business! It's still making quite a profit (although I wonder why it's not as much as last year). I'll take the profit from the programming business and buy advertising & hardware for my computers...So now I've got a well advertised product....I'm so smart.

But funny thing is, now noone's buying the computers. I'm starting to barely cover costs from both businesses....the bill collectors are going to start circling over head....gotta get more money, but where?

I know, I'll eliminate the frequent buyer program from the software store. Those 100 customers I have will just have to pay full price for my programs. I know they're more expensive than my competition, but by cutting out the 10% discount, I'll save $50K a year! I'm so smart.

But then as word gets out about my change, I see fewer and fewer of my 100 customers. I call a few to take some orders, but they tell me that while they loved my program, Microsoft is offering a similar program for 20% less....so they are going there.

Now I've got two train wrecks on my hands. Not only is my computer business a bust, my meat and potatoes software business is sinking....

I GOT IT! I'll bring back the discount! Then the money will flow in like a tidal wave, and I'll be able to buy more marketing guys for my computers!

I'm so smart...

So I call the customers who bought software from me before, and tell them that I've brought back the discount and ask what they need...and some come back to me and start buying my software again, but there's quite a few who tell me that they're happy with Microsoft and if I want the business back I'll have to beat their price....

So what do I do? I need these customers back....but if I cut my price by 25% I won't make anything?

What do I do?

P.S. Wasn't Disney a pretty profitable & successful company when they were building attractions and giving you the "extra" chicken finger?

What changed?

HINT: The chicken finger didn't hurt nobody....

There are time when I really wonder...
Seemed like a good idea at the time? Who cares? As has been pointed out, this is the real world, and ALL that matters is the results. In the above scenario, 25 customers are gone.
No, that's not true. The results are not all that matters. What also matters is why the other 50 came back, and why the OTHER 25 stayed even after the program was cut. You want an accurate idea of what your customers want, you need to care about what's behind all of those motivations.

Can you honestly say that you've never made a decision that you thought was warranted at the time, only to discover later that you screwed up? Or that you've never made a bad decision and then tried to defend it to someone else? It happens. In business, in life, in relationships. And you can go until the cows come home about how it was a bad decision and that's all that matters. But in the real world, people screw up. Or they're put in a position where they have to make a decision that they know isn't the best case scenario. To imply that Disney should somehow be above all that is unrealistic.

Now we're stepping beyond "like everybody else" and into plain suicide. A service company doesn't cut services just to "find out what would happen."
Geez Matt ... it was just an example. I wasn't implying that Disney would ever do that. I was listing a possible motivation for why HB2K might have cut his frequent buying program, per his example.

At the very least they need to accurately do their research and be confident of what the overall impact will be before they make the cut, for the costs of being wrong will outweigh any benefit from the cut. Not only did Disney not make the decision using the DISNEY business plan, they didn't even do a good job of being like everybody else.
Unless you've got an in at corporate planning, we don't know what kind of model or research they used or why.

Its not like they came out with a new product or reintroduced an old one and the public didn't respond like they hoped. This wasn't the good old college try at innovation. This was an attempt to see how much they could get away with.
But they did come out with a new product. The early morning character greetings in the resorts. Maybe it wasn't cutting edge, but it was something that had never been done before. In the process, they took something else away. Like taking away Mr. Toad and replacing it with Pooh. Some people liked it. Some people hated it. In the case of CC vs. EE, more people hated it than liked it, so EE came back.

Originally posted by HB2K
So what do I do? I need these customers back....but if I cut my price by 25% I won't make anything?

What do I do?
Oh man ... this is too much like school! What do I know? My training is in the non-profit sector! :p

In this scenario, though, you've realized that you made the mistake and you went back to the original plan. Now, chances are you knew you were going to lose SOME customers. Even if you didn't change the discount program, attrition is going to count for some losses. But in this case, you write off the loss as a tax deduction and vow to learn from this experience. Or ... you go back to the basics and just sell software again. (And you give all those computers you made to non-profit organizations like mine, become philanthropist of the year, and win an all-expenses-paid trip to Disney World!)

Like taking away Mr. Toad and replacing it with Pooh. Some people liked it. Some people hated it. In the case of CC vs. EE, more people hated it than liked it, so EE came back.
Great example Searcher. Replace an attraction with the shortest queues in Fantasyland [that is based on an obscure Disney animated feature which (at the time) had not even been released on video and few people had any idea about] with an attraction based on a hugely popular story and set of characters that can easily be revived and made current (the book of Pooh). {geez, what a run on} The payback in terms of attracting new guests, generating return guests and generating the sale of Pooh stuff would seem to make it a no brainer. Take a relatively unpopular attraction and replace it with a winner.

What I'm trying to get at is that I don't think anybody within the Disney organization thought CC for EE would go over well with guests. And if they did, I wonder how that's possible. Think about it, when you go to the Disney resorts portion of the WDW website and click on "resort benefits" the first thing listed was Early Entry. It was noted on the planning video. It had a fairly promenent place in the literature given to you at check in. In short, it was used as a big selling point. They SHOULD have known that there would be a great deal of backlash if it was taken away. They HAVE to be sophisticated enough with their research to know. The questions have to be direct. Survey the guests DURING EE, they are the ones to be impacted. Surmise the relative value.

But, that's not what Disney wanted to do, because they knew the answer. So, instead they concocted a survey that would result in information that they could use to try to convince the public that it was their idea. Again I ask, did they think we were idiots?

In my line of work, we conduct surveys and focus groups anytime we are considering a change that is likely to generate negative customer reaction. Four years ago we eliminated our Sunday magazine. It wasn't supported by revenue and was very costly. We knew in advance what the reaction would be, and roughly how many subscribers we would lose. We asked the right questions because we wanted to KNOW what the impact on our business would be, not develop a spin plan. Because in the end, what mattered was the potential for loss of revenue.

This was a costly debacle for Disney. Thing is, most of us knew it early on, how could they not?

No, that's not true. The results are not all that matters. What also matters is why the other 50 came back, and why the OTHER 25 stayed even after the program was cut.
Yes, you obviously should learn from your mistake, but in Disney's case, the mistake wasn't so much the mis-judgement itself. No, the mistake was the deviation from the successful business model they employed to build the Disney we know today. That's the root cause, and they didn't learn a thing.

Further, in the above example, you are out 25% of your business, plus the extra expense of getting the others back, and that is enough to take many businesses down. It is inexcuseable to make mistakes of that magnitude.

Now, we don't know for sure what % Disney lost from the EE decision, but we know they lost enough to get them to bring it back. Unfortunately for them, some will never return.

Can you honestly say that you've never made a decision that you thought was warranted at the time, only to discover later that you screwed up? Or that you've never made a bad decision and then tried to defend it to someone else? It happens.
Of course it happens. The key is the methodolgy behind your decision. Did you really try to do the "right" thing? Did you make your decision with the goal of helping the company meet its goals? In Disney's case, the answer is yes, but only because the goal has essentially become "let's see what we can get away with". They, think the mistake was that they didn't get away with it, when the real mistake was the goals were messed up to begin with. Those goals have not changed.

Unless you've got an in at corporate planning, we don't know what kind of model or research they used or why.
It really doesn't matter. The reasoning behind it was faulty to begin with, and on top of that, whatever research they did led them to incorrect results. Ill-conceived and poorly executed. A bad combination.

But they did come out with a new product. The early morning character greetings in the resorts.
Great! Wonderful! Beautiful!

Unfortunately, they took away something of far greater value at the same time, and told the public this is what they wanted.

To use the example you and gcurling were discussing, this wasn't replacing Toad with Pooh. This was replacing Toad with a character meet and greet, then telling folks they asked for the change. It was not an attempt to innovate, it was a money grab, pure and simple, and they got caught with their hand in the honey pot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter