Is fish available as a substitute at Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner?

I am pescatarian also; eat fish but no meat. We ate here for the first time for Thanksgiving in 2015. When we placed our oder, I asked our server if the sides were brought out on individual dishes/bowls (not on the same platters as the meat). He said yes and asked if I was vegetarian. I said I eat seafood but no meat. He said they have a vegetarian offering, I said I was ok with just the sides, but he said there was no way he was going to have us pay those prices without a full meal- their vegetarian offering in 2015 was an enormous bowl of pasta with a delicious white cream like sauce (can't remember exactly) with lots of veggies in it- cherry tomatoes, asparagus, onions, mushrooms....it was really good- but huge- like almost a serving bowl for the whole table size. I don't know if they are still doing this or not, since that was a few years ago...but honestly their was soooo much food with the sides, I didn't think it was necessary (for me) and this restaurant is now one of our favorites & can't wait to go back on our Easter trip. Either way, have a great trip! And from one non-meat eater to another, she defintely won't go hungry there :)

I agree with. @focusondisney LTT is a fixed, all inclusive menu at dinner. They do not have a la carts choices. If the fixed menu does not appeal to your wife you would be better at a restaurant that includes choices.
I NEVER said they would not accommodate her at all. That is your interpretation, wrongly. I didn't say anything about accommodation.
I simply stated my opinion that if someone does not like the menu at a fixed menu restaurant, perhaps they should choose somewhere else to eat.
I'm sorry if you feel I misquoted your post. When someone suggests you shouldn't eat at a fixed menu restaurant that does not have a la cart choices to me this implies the restaurant won't prepare something different for them. I guess that is just me. :confused3

I'm sorry if you feel I misquoted your post. When someone suggests you shouldn't eat at a fixed menu restaurant that does not have a la cart choices to me this implies the restaurant won't prepare something different for them. I guess that is just me. :confused3

They will accommodate a vegetarian/vegan who won't eat meat at all, as this is a pretty common dietary request. They won't accommodate "oh well I'm at thanksgiving dinner but I'd rather have fish because I don't like turkey, pork or beef... will you make me some?"

Vegetarian/vegan is pretty much universally accommodated by Disney restaurants. Wanting to have your choice of what protein you want is on the guest to find a restaurant that serves it, whether it is fish or seafood or beef or chicken. If someone has philosophical reasons for only having fish vs. other types of meat rather than a preference then they are welcome to partake of a vegetarian option in a restaurant that does not serve fish on their regular menu and avoid the meat, but they are not going to go out and get fish for you. They won't go hungry. But if you want to eat what you WANT to eat, then find a restaurant that serves what you want to eat. Seems like completely reasonable advice to me!

There are certain fixed priced meals that have certain well known accommodations (subject to change of course) which is why people post here asking for advice. "Fish" at a restaurant that doesn't serve it is not one of them.

I am pescatarian also; eat fish but no meat. We ate here for the first time for Thanksgiving in 2015. When we placed our oder, I asked our server if the sides were brought out on individual dishes/bowls (not on the same platters as the meat). He said yes and asked if I was vegetarian. I said I eat seafood but no meat. He said they have a vegetarian offering, I said I was ok with just the sides, but he said there was no way he was going to have us pay those prices without a full meal- their vegetarian offering in 2015 was an enormous bowl of pasta with a delicious white cream like sauce (can't remember exactly) with lots of veggies in it- cherry tomatoes, asparagus, onions, mushrooms....it was really good- but huge- like almost a serving bowl for the whole table size. I don't know if they are still doing this or not, since that was a few years ago...but honestly their was soooo much food with the sides, I didn't think it was necessary (for me) and this restaurant is now one of our favorites & can't wait to go back on our Easter trip. Either way, have a great trip! And from one non-meat eater to another, she defintely won't go hungry there :)

That's good to know! Thanks for sharing your experience at LTT here on this thread. :flower2:

They will accommodate a vegetarian/vegan who won't eat meat at all, as this is a pretty common dietary request. They won't accommodate "oh well I'm at thanksgiving dinner but I'd rather have fish because I don't like turkey, pork or beef... will you make me some?"

Vegetarian/vegan is pretty much universally accommodated by Disney restaurants. Wanting to have your choice of what protein you want is on the guest to find a restaurant that serves it, whether it is fish or seafood or beef or chicken. If someone has philosophical reasons for only having fish vs. other types of meat rather than a preference then they are welcome to partake of a vegetarian option in a restaurant that does not serve fish on their regular menu and avoid the meat, but they are not going to go out and get fish for you. They won't go hungry. But if you want to eat what you WANT to eat, then find a restaurant that serves what you want to eat. Seems like completely reasonable advice to me!

There are certain fixed priced meals that have certain well known accommodations (subject to change of course) which is why people post here asking for advice. "Fish" at a restaurant that doesn't serve it is not one of them.
I don't know why you are so angry about this. The OP was just asking a question. It didn't seem like it was such a big deal. It was already suggested by multiple posters including myself that they would probably offer a vegetarian option and not necessarily fish. I don't understand your hostility.

I don't know why you are so angry about this. The OP was just asking a question. It didn't seem like it was such a big deal. It was already suggested by multiple posters including myself that they would probably offer a vegetarian option and not necessarily fish. I don't understand your hostility.
I don't understand your reading anger or hostility into a factual post. If you want something other than what is on the menu then eat somewhere that serves what you want to eat. How is that remotely hostile? :confused3 It sounds like good, reasonable, sound advice to me. No one will force you to eat meat anywhere and there will be an alternative to meat but if it's fish you specifically WANT, then go somewhere that serves it. You can't get it at places that don't typically serve it just because you don't want what they DO serve. The OP was about whether they would have fish, not about whether there would be a vegetarian alternative to meat.

I don't understand your reading anger or hostility into a factual post. If you want something other than what is on the menu then eat somewhere that serves what you want to eat. How is that remotely hostile? :confused3 It sounds like good, reasonable, sound advice to me. No one will force you to eat meat anywhere and there will be an alternative to meat but if it's fish you specifically WANT, then go somewhere that serves it. You can't get it at places that don't typically serve it just because you don't want what they DO serve. The OP was about whether they would have fish, not about whether there would be a vegetarian alternative to meat.
When you quote my post and answer using exclamation points and words in all caps and knowing in my previous posts I suggested they would definitely accommodate the OP's wife not eating meat but not necessarily with fish someone might see that as angry/hostile. Which is why it confused me that you felt the need to respond to my post in the first place. Your answer could have easily been directed at the OP if you are pointing out that they wanted fish and they couldn't eat there. Besides, the reply you quoted was to someone else's comment and not to the OP. I still don't get the big deal. :confused3 It seems to just be a simple difference of opinions to me. My opinion is to ask and see what happens but be prepared for not getting fish. Your opinion is you shouldn't eat there because they don't serve fish for dinner.

When you quote my post and answer using exclamation points and words in all caps and knowing in my previous posts I suggested they would definitely accommodate the OP's wife not eating meat but not necessarily with fish someone might see that as angry/hostile. Which is why it confused me that you felt the need to respond to my post in the first place. Your answer could have easily been directed at the OP if you are pointing out that they wanted fish and they couldn't eat there. Besides, the reply you quoted was to someone else's comment and not to the OP. I still don't get the big deal. :confused3 It seems to just be a simple difference of opinions to me. My opinion is to ask and see what happens but be prepared for not getting fish. Your opinion is you shouldn't eat there because they don't serve fish for dinner.

Let's not exaggerate. I put a couple of words in all caps for emphasis, if you WANT fish then go somewhere that serves fish. If you just want "not meat" then anyone will accommodate you. I think it is a huge stretch to read hostility in the emphasis of one or two words. IT'S NOT LIKE I AM WRITING IN ALL CAPS WITH EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!! That sounds a little heated admittedly but it's not what I did (and in case I need to be explicit, I just did it to make a point, not because I am being hostile toward you.)

Last time I checked this is a public discussion on a message board, which means anyone is free to weigh in at any time. As someone who enjoys LTT and also travels with a picky kid, I am pretty in tune with what I can and can't get for him in a non allergy situation at a restaurant. Sometimes there are places I wish I could go but there is really nothing he will enjoy there, so we skip it and go somewhere else, rather than trying to jam a square peg into a round hole and be disappointed I can't make them conform to his tastes. Wanting fish at a place where there is none is a similar thing to me. If vegetarian is what the OP was seeking they could have asked about it and it would have been an entirely different question.

I was responding to your assertion that another long time poster on this board whose opinions I am very familiar with was saying something they were not and clarifying what I believed their point was, which I also believe is a very reasonable point.... which is if you want something specific, you should not book an AYCTE experience that does not feature it. If just "not meat" is what you are looking for, you can be accommodated. You are the one who read anger and hostility into it what was basically a factual post with the opinion that it is reasonable to suggest that if you want something specific, you book a restaurant that has it on the menu. You seemed to think this was somehow unreasonable advice and somehow addressing the ability to eat there without meat. It wasn't. It was addressing the ability to get fish there when it's not on the menu.

Have a great day!

At the risk of putting words in someone else's mouth, which is not my intention, let me try to explain what the issue is for some.

"I want to eat at Cape May, however I do not like seafood, and i hate buffet. If I tell them I have allergies, with the Chef cook something special for me?"

"My daughter wants to try the millet breast on the gluten free menu at BOG. If I tell them she has an allergy to gluten, can she have it? But she wants the pastry plate. Help me please."

" I really want to go to 'Ohana, but I cannot stand it when my meat touches anything else, including other meat. Will the chef specially cook me a steak and serve it ala minute?"

"My kid is picky, and there is not one thing on the BOG menu he will eat. Do you thing the chef will cook him a burger and fries? I really want to eat there, but he will starve."

Do you see where I am going with this? I have not suggested anyone here was going this far, and I certainly do nto think it is an outrageous question to ask if a fish substitute could be made if there was a fish served on teh lunch menu, but we have all read the "issues" that have ensued when these requests could not be honored.

I see no harm in asking if a substitute protein can be made, especially if one is willing to accept the vegetarian offering, but I would ask that some latitude be given when people suggest that if the menu is not acceptable, look elsewhere. Not because reasonable substitutes cannot be made, but because for some, the only substitute is the one that was requested.

Sorry. There is just no way that I see @Lisa F post as either angry or hostile. We are all just trying to help OP. Sorry you don’t see it that way.

At the risk of putting words in someone else's mouth, which is not my intention, let me try to explain what the issue is for some.

"I want to eat at Cape May, however I do not like seafood, and i hate buffet. If I tell them I have allergies, with the Chef cook something special for me?"

"My daughter wants to try the millet breast on the gluten free menu at BOG. If I tell them she has an allergy to gluten, can she have it? But she wants the pastry plate. Help me please."

" I really want to go to 'Ohana, but I cannot stand it when my meat touches anything else, including other meat. Will the chef specially cook me a steak and serve it ala minute?"

"My kid is picky, and there is not one thing on the BOG menu he will eat. Do you thing the chef will cook him a burger and fries? I really want to eat there, but he will starve."

Do you see where I am going with this? I have not suggested anyone here was going this far, and I certainly do nto think it is an outrageous question to ask if a fish substitute could be made if there was a fish served on teh lunch menu, but we have all read the "issues" that have ensued when these requests could not be honored.

I see no harm in asking if a substitute protein can be made, especially if one is willing to accept the vegetarian offering, but I would ask that some latitude be given when people suggest that if the menu is not acceptable, look elsewhere. Not because reasonable substitutes cannot be made, but because for some, the only substitute is the one that was requested.
Thank you for this post. You said it much better than I was able to.

Thank you for this post. You said it much better than I was able to.

I know that you thought that some folks were getting testy, but they really were trying to help. They are longtime posters and could see some of the problems the OP might encounter. I follow them and they were not at all angry, but truly concerned.

I know that you thought that some folks were getting testy, but they really were trying to help. They are longtime posters and could see some of the problems the OP might encounter. I follow them and they were not at all angry, but truly concerned.
This biggest key to success of a WDW vacation is managing expectations. If you go in expecting 2 level crowds and they are level 6, you're going to be miserable. If you go in expecting 10 and they are 6, you're going to be happy. Managing dining expectations is something I do on a regularly basis with my picky son.

If you go in expecting fish at a place that doesn't really have it, there is nowhere to go but down and makes for a bad experience and no one wants that, what's why we're all here helping each other! (non angry !!!) If you go in expecting to be fed even if you don't eat meat but don't have specific expectations of how that will be achieved, sounds like from posted vegetarian experiences, you'll be happy. The only place you can reasonably expect fish and not likely end up disappointed is a place that serves it, so if fish is your priority then not a good idea to go to a place that doesn't typically have it. It was not a snarky "go somewhere else, no one will help you there."

Hope that clarifies!

DH and I are vegetarians (except we do eat fish/sea food out). We ate at Liberty tree tavern in September last minute. DH told the waiter, and we had a yummy pasta with veggies. He did let us know which sides were okay to eat.
herb stuffing (may or not be okay for non-meat eater)
I was so happy that the stuffing was okay to eat.

As a place with a set menu for dinner, I don't think they will be able to offer a substitute entree that they don't already offer, based on a guest's preference. (It is my guess they have something for vegetarians, but won't offer fish.) You should probably take into account whether or not your group wants to eat there if she only wants fish and the vegetarian accommodation will not be acceptable. There is of course no harm in asking, but nothing here indicates that LTT will definitely agree to provide fish with dinner. and if it's a bad time to find out that "no" is the answer after you have already been seated, then yes, maybe go somewhere else.

I'd rebook for lunch. Fish is on the menu for lunch, not dinner. Just because it's on the menu at lunch does not mean it can be served at dinner.

Last edited:
I woukd absolutely, positively, 100% contact them in advance. Why surprise your server and chefs?

I'm also a pescetarian, and when we made all our ADRs the website said that there's no need to contact them in advance for lifestyle accommodations like this. Unless there are multiple allergies or other unusual needs, there's no need to get in touch beforehand. That said, if there's one specific food, like fish, that makes the difference between wanting to eat there and not, I'd contact them in advance to ask. If any vegetarian meal will do, then you should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!