Is dvc right for me???

If you do a comparison to see when you might break even, use the price you've already paid, not rack rate for a DVC villa. Because if you didn't pay rack rate for a DVC villa before, you probably wouldn't pay it in the future. Even members don't like to pay rack rate for DVC. If we need to add a night, I'll look at AP rates, Disney VISA rates for a moderate for a night or two. Or see what bargain I can get, even try for Swan and Dolphin.

And when you listen to the Disney sales pitch - realize they are using rack rate.

IF you are happy in a moderate or value, and you can and have taken advantage of the deals Disney has offered, you are probably better off FINANCIALLY not buying DVC. You may or may not get value out of having DVC in subjective ways (for us, its having the kids sleep in a different room), but if you have to stretch to afford it, its hard to justify that value.

And when you listen to the Disney sales pitch - realize they are using rack rate.

IF you are happy in a moderate or value, and you can and have taken advantage of the deals Disney has offered, you are probably better off FINANCIALLY not buying DVC. You may or may not get value out of having DVC in subjective ways (for us, its having the kids sleep in a different room), but if you have to stretch to afford it, its hard to justify that value.
The OP stayed at the Polynesian on his last trip so I think that he likes deluxe resorts.

The OP stayed at the Polynesian on his last trip so I think that he likes deluxe resorts.

Don't we all! But sometimes the Poly is a once in a lifetime trip, and the next ten are at the Caribbean Beach Resort before you get back to the Poly for a 25th wedding anniversary.

And if you like Deluxe resorts, and think that is what you are getting, then the question becomes, do you understand the difference between timeshares and deluxe resorts? Are you willing to make the necessary trades - less frequent refreshes, the need to pay for housekeeping (if you want it), no concierge (for all practical purposes), a pullout in a studio rather than two beds (unless you are out at OKW). No rollaways.

In this thread the OP has posted less than 500 words - that isn't sufficient to say if DVC is right (or not right) for anyone. It may be right, it may not be right - there is insufficient data.

And if you like Deluxe resorts, and think that is what you are getting, then the question becomes, do you understand the difference between timeshares and deluxe resorts? Are you willing to make the necessary trades - less frequent refreshes, the need to pay for housekeeping (if you want it), no concierge (for all practical purposes), a pullout in a studio rather than two beds (unless you are out at OKW). No rollaways.
All of those are positives for me (except for the refreshes) :thumbsup2.

I'm kinda overwhelmed with it all honestly. Told the wife I think we should save for a year. Rent points from David for our next stay. And then make a decision after that.

I'm kinda overwhelmed with it all honestly. Told the wife I think we should save for a year. Rent points from David for our next stay. And then make a decision after that.

If I were going to do it today, I'd rent points from David rather than buy in. Its a little more expensive than buying in, but the flexibility gains are huge. As long as David has an owner, you get the eleven month window where ever you want it. If you don't want to go to Disney for three or four years when the kids are in high school because their schedules are busy (and I can't believe how busy my daughter is - my son is more of a slacker), you don't have to go renting your own points or finding another use for them. If you hit a financially rough period, you don't have dues payments.

When we bought in, all rental deals were between individuals, a broker provides a little extra security. And when we bought in there where only three onsite resorts (BCV was being sold, but wasn't yet built) - five total - yeah, it was hard to get VWL for Christmas (we don't travel at Christmas) or BW for Food and Wine (we own Boardwalk) or an OKW Grand Villa over Easter (again, don't go over Easter), but there wasn't the insane competition for those things that there are now with three or four times as many members - and the same number of BWV Standard rooms for Food and Wine. So while the advice has always been some version of "buy where you want to stay (and plan ahead)" that advice has become, I think, more pertinent, but its also now very apparent that you can only buy what is built at the time, you'll still have the "I don't own there" problem with new resorts, unless you are willing to own a lot of contracts (I'm not).

The other thing that's more obvious to me with time is that both Disney and my family and I change. When we bought, we went to Disney in part for the food - that has slipped while at the same time our own dining tastes became more refined (or, if you prefer, we became food snobs). I'm not really interested in the pace of technological change that comes with FP+ - I go to Disney because it was EASY - we knew how to work the system - now we are back at square one, and I'm not that interested in square one. My kids prefer other locations as teenagers - my son, the beach, my daughter - anywhere with good museums.

i'm on your side.

(unless your wife gets really mad. in that case, you're on your own... :) )

From all your have said, that sounds like a really good idea.

If I were going to do it today, I'd rent points from David rather than buy in. Its a little more expensive than buying in, but the flexibility gains are huge. As long as David has an owner, you get the eleven month window where ever you want it. If you don't want to go to Disney for three or four years when the kids are in high school because their schedules are busy (and I can't believe how busy my daughter is - my son is more of a slacker), you don't have to go renting your own points or finding another use for them. If you hit a financially rough period, you don't have dues payments.

When we bought in, all rental deals were between individuals, a broker provides a little extra security. And when we bought in there where only three onsite resorts (BCV was being sold, but wasn't yet built) - five total - yeah, it was hard to get VWL for Christmas (we don't travel at Christmas) or BW for Food and Wine (we own Boardwalk) or an OKW Grand Villa over Easter (again, don't go over Easter), but there wasn't the insane competition for those things that there are now with three or four times as many members - and the same number of BWV Standard rooms for Food and Wine. So while the advice has always been some version of "buy where you want to stay (and plan ahead)" that advice has become, I think, more pertinent, but its also now very apparent that you can only buy what is built at the time, you'll still have the "I don't own there" problem with new resorts, unless you are willing to own a lot of contracts (I'm not).

The other thing that's more obvious to me with time is that both Disney and my family and I change. When we bought, we went to Disney in part for the food - that has slipped while at the same time our own dining tastes became more refined (or, if you prefer, we became food snobs). I'm not really interested in the pace of technological change that comes with FP+ - I go to Disney because it was EASY - we knew how to work the system - now we are back at square one, and I'm not that interested in square one. My kids prefer other locations as teenagers - my son, the beach, my daughter - anywhere with good museums.

I agree with you..
Renting is a much better option, with the info the OP has giving..

The lost savings on a given trip is nothing compared to making a mistake in this area. Until you can read technical threads with multiple abbreviations and understand what's going on without thinking about it, you are not ready to proceed, IMO.

WE just returned back from Disney. Second trip in 2 years. We have a 4 ur old daughter and a 5 month old daughter. We went on the dvc tour at BLT which is not available. We have the numbers and will be financing this no doubt. Here is my questions. Where do I look up resales and is financing available? Is there benefit to buy direct from Disney? Where do I go to look at pictures other than the enhanced Disney villa pictures. To show condition of rooms these days at different resorts? Where do I look up points required for different properties? We like the 2nd and 3rd week of jan. Or between thanksgiving and Christmas. Thanks for any help I'm sure you guys get these all the time. Ryan

I have found some great advise and put a lot of stock in the opinions of "Dean" and "Deb & Bill"... Not saying there's not others, but you can be assured that they have helped many many people on these boards make informed decisions.

It's a major investment... And many on these boards, myself included, are of the opinion that if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it. But it's just an opinion. Buying into DVC, you're pre-paying for future use of a hotel... I can't for the life of me see a reason to finance hotel stays... Which after you pay off the initial buy-in, you'll still have yearly maintenance costs... Which increase every year.

I would also suggest taking a hard look at resale. There are a few companies, besides Disney, that offer them... One being the sponsor of this site, and probably the largest of all resellers, The Timeshare Store. There are a couple things you can't do with a resale. However, these restrictions effect a very small percentage of owners. If your intent is to use it to go to Disney, it will not effect you a bit. I own two contracts...both resale... 100pts each at BWV & OKW... Paid cash for both. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts