Is anything selling?

Definitely. Can someone tell me if it is okay to share company and/or name of broker?

Post the link to the business. If it shows up, you can discuss. If not, then you can’t which includes sharing names, etc.

What if DVC caps the ability/times to rent out (non-dvc as lead limit) then more people will buy instead of rent? Can they? Availability is still pretty tight so I am guessing these are people securing to rent out. They should at least do the numbers to see how many are actual owners.
If you limit ownership won't there be less owners?

I would never buy riveria direct because that contract looses value faster than driving a new car off the lot did before the pandemic. I don't necessarily plan on selling my purchases- but life happens and I don't want to commit to 45+ years of ownership knowing that if I have to sell the buyer can only use it there. It's the newest and IMO the nicest resort but the resale value is lower than....THE BEACH CLUB. All because of these restrictions. Buy at BCV and get about 40% of the contract time but you aren't restricted to only stay there.

I know DVC is banking on emotional purchase and ignorance here...but still...I don't think it's helping their market for direct sales either.

Of course I already own more than enough points. Still may be on the lookout for a small BCV, BWV or maybe even some additional Riviera. Hope they don't drop too low and force me to buy.
When we were first buying it was RVA, we were just getting 100 points. That was the minimum you could get direct and it seemed like enough, might just need a night or two in a cash room. DH was pretty set on the minimum. Luckily, I had read enough from this forum about folks regretting not buying more during initial purchase since prices go up. I managed to convince DH to a 250 pt purchase to reach the better incentives. The first time we stayed in a 1BR he was so happy and said it was worth it.

That seemed like enough but then we wanted a monorail resort and bought 200 BLT points early last year. Now DH is under some illusion that our 450 points is enough. Bless his heart...

We're gearing up to buy VDH or VCG (if the price falls low enough) later this year. I just need to do a bit more convincing. But maybe then we'll be done. Maybe.

When we were first buying it was RVA, we were just getting 100 points. That was the minimum you could get direct and it seemed like enough, might just need a night or two in a cash room. DH was pretty set on the minimum. Luckily, I had read enough from this forum about folks regretting not buying more during initial purchase since prices go up. I managed to convince DH to a 250 pt purchase to reach the better incentives. The first time we stayed in a 1BR he was so happy and said it was worth it.

That seemed like enough but then we wanted a monorail resort and bought 200 BLT points early last year. Now DH is under some illusion that our 450 points is enough. Bless his heart...

We're gearing up to buy VDH or VCG (if the price falls low enough) later this year. I just need to do a bit more convincing. But maybe then we'll be done. Maybe.
Lol! We’re never done!!! I’m so glad I stumbled onto this thread. We joined DVC in 2013 ($62 @OKW)… 3 resorts, 5 contracts and 7 years later, we passed 1000 points in 2020 ($108 @ AKL) . Things seemed to be going crazy after that, so we haven’t been looking. If the market is going back down, we are in!!

I would never buy riveria direct because that contract looses value faster than driving a new car off the lot did before the pandemic. I don't necessarily plan on selling my purchases- but life happens and I don't want to commit to 45+ years of ownership knowing that if I have to sell the buyer can only use it there. It's the newest and IMO the nicest resort but the resale value is lower than....THE BEACH CLUB. All because of these restrictions. Buy at BCV and get about 40% of the contract time but you aren't restricted to only stay there.

I know DVC is banking on emotional purchase and ignorance here...but still...I don't think it's helping their market for direct sales either.
DVC is also (in my opinion) planning on making a change to how the program is structured. RIV might be the new shiny resort right now, but I doubt it will be in 10 years. The fact it looks so nice and new is helping keep resale prices up - and the fact there aren’t a lot of them on the market yet because it hasn’t been for sale for that long.

Their goal is to incentivize people to buy direct and disincentivize people from buying resale. I think limiting exchanges is key to that. For me, it doesn’t matter too much, especially if you buy your points where you want to stay. With the exception of VCF (which in practice doesn’t exchange anyways), you’ll still save money over direct.

There will be a few DVCs before 2042, but that’s really when it will be determined. They could reverse course and say RIV was an outlier, but if other resorts with restrictions sell really wel, no way Disney’s NEW Boardwalk or Disney’s NEW Beach Club won’t have restrictions as well - which by the way will make it harder for direct owners to get into these resorts as well….

Buy where you want to stay may be the most important line to understanding DVC.

There will be a few DVCs before 2042, but that’s really when it will be determined. They could reverse course and say RIV was an outlier, but if other resorts with restrictions sell really wel, no way Disney’s NEW Boardwalk or Disney’s NEW Beach Club won’t have restrictions as well - which by the way will make it harder for direct owners to get into these resorts as well….
I don't think restrictions will make it harder for owners to book. It shouldn't really make a difference. Between 7 and 11 months only owners can book and that doesn't change with restrictions

PSA: Please be sure that when posting a link to the business, which is required, that you verify it is a working link.

As mods, we will allow names to be left that we know are not in our boards filter, but it is everyone’s responsibility to make sure if referencing another site, that you follow the rules, which includes working links.

RIV has done pretty well and there is pretty much solid evidence now that people are buying it despite restrictions.

I am not sure BCV is a good comparison because that has a higher value because it is BCV. RIV has been commanding more than BWV, BRV, SSR, AKV, and OKW, and not far off PVB.

It means that there is a market for it. It may be smaller than others but it’s there. We bought not caring because owning where we want to stay is number one priority.

I think that is way the program will continue to go and once it does, RIV and all the rest will settle in close to each other.

But, it’s certainly a reason why buying DVC expecting or wanting its resale value to hold can be a mistake because DVD holds too many cards to influence. SSR has dropped $20 to $30 points in contracts being bought in just a few months of no ROFR.

PSA: Please be sure that when posting a link to the business, which is required, that you verify it is a working link.

As mods, we will allow names to be left that we know are not in our boards filter, but it is everyone’s responsibility to make sure if referencing another site, that you follow the rules, which includes working links.
Oops. You said post the link, and if it worked, it was okay. I thought you meant if it showed up on the board without ****. Now I understand what you mean. Sorry about that.

Oops. You said post the link, and if it worked, it was okay. I thought you meant if it showed up on the board without ****. Now I understand what you mean. Sorry about that.

Not to worry! As long as it’s the actual link, the boards filter will do it’s job. But sometimes, myself included, when typing from memory vs copy and paste from the site, it doesn’t actually post correctly!

As watching these threads will show you - DVC points purchase is still VERY popular. In real estate when the market softens (vs drops) there is a lot of "educated" buying going on - the equivalent here is Buyers are still looking for the right sized contracts in their preferred resort or use years. Not at a "steal" price, but at a good value for the long haul.

RIV has done pretty well and there is pretty much solid evidence now that people are buying it despite restrictions.

I am not sure BCV is a good comparison because that has a higher value because it is BCV. RIV has been commanding more than BWV, BRV, SSR, AKV, and OKW, and not far off PVB.

It means that there is a market for it. It may be smaller than others but it’s there. We bought not caring because owning where we want to stay is number one priority.

I think that is way the program will continue to go and once it does, RIV and all the rest will settle in close to each other.

But, it’s certainly a reason why buying DVC expecting or wanting its resale value to hold can be a mistake because DVD holds too many cards to influence. SSR has dropped $20 to $30 points in contracts being bought in just a few months of no ROFR.
Riviera is definitely a consideration for us once we finalize how many points we want. I want to keep any contract below 200 points so we went into this process assuming there would be a second contract in the future.

We will use points in August and decide from there. We have enough points on our initial purchase to book a 1 bedroom for 6 or 7 days for 2023 and 2024. All dependent of which resort and which room view.

From 2025 on the size of our contract would not be enough for a week in a 1 bedroom most weeks.

By 2025 we will have determined if we want to go every year or every other year and if we want a 1 or 2 bedroom. Whatever that combination is will determine if we add on.

Riviera is definitely a consideration for us once we finalize how many points we want. I want to keep any contract below 200 points so we went into this process assuming there would be a second contract in the future.

We will use points in August and decide from there. We have enough points on our initial purchase to book a 1 bedroom for 6 or 7 days for 2023 and 2024. All dependent of which resort and which room view.

From 2025 on the size of our contract would not be enough for a week in a 1 bedroom most weeks.

By 2025 we will have determined if we want to go every year or every other year and if we want a 1 or 2 bedroom. Whatever that combination is will determine if we add on.

I am doing all I can not to offer on a resale RIV with a low offer given market conditions. But, I have other things I need to do this year that I put off last year when I bought VGF direct!

I am doing all I can not to offer on a resale RIV with a low offer given market conditions. But, I have other things I need to do this year that I put off last year when I bought VGF direct!
What do you think is a low offer on Riviera? Don’t see many resale transactions to get good idea.

What do you think is a low offer on Riviera? Don’t see many resale transactions to get good idea.
I am pretty sure i have offered on every contract with 150 pts or less in my use year that is on market with similar prices that i see going to ROFR here - everyone is still asking for oct 22 prices.

Guess i have to stay patient :)

I am pretty sure i have offered on every contract with 150 pts or less in my use year that is on market with similar prices that i see going to ROFR here - everyone is still asking for oct 22 prices.

Guess i have to stay patient :)
Unless you are trying to get the points for a specific trip, I would say (try lol) to be patient. And don't be afraid to offer on "new" contract listings, someone who just listed their points might still be more motivated than someone who has had theirs sitting for sale for months ... if you are Certain you want something, maybe come in with a higher deposit, if you cannot come in with a higher sales price. Makes you look committed to both the seller and the broker (who might have more clout than you think on what is accepted). Good luck!

Unless you are trying to get the points for a specific trip, I would say (try lol) to be patient. And don't be afraid to offer on "new" contract listings, someone who just listed their points might still be more motivated than someone who has had theirs sitting for sale for months ... if you are Certain you want something, maybe come in with a higher deposit, if you cannot come in with a higher sales price. Makes you look committed to both the seller and the broker (who might have more clout than you think on what is accepted). Good luck!
haha yes - im being patient. I think there is definitely an aspect of broker's also doing their best to keep prices a little higher so perhaps as more time passes, reality will set in. I appreciate the vote of confidence :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts