Is a 30 minute drive to work too long?

Ashley Nadeau

Mouseketeer
Okay, I have read many different opinions, seen every angle, but now i want real life experience opinions! I have been given an opportunity for a promotion! This promotion would need me to travel about 35 minutes to work. Currently my commute is about 10 minutes. Do you all think 35 is too long of a commute? Do any of you commute to work? If so how long?

My commute has been about 30 minutes (much more when there is construction an accident or snow) for the past 24 years. It doesn't seem too long to me, but I'm used to it. If you're used to 10 minutes, 35 minutes will seem long at first.

As long as that's pretty normal, no big deal. If it can turn into an hour plus with traffic issues, then I might be concerned. I've done much worse (90 minute commute that could extend to 3+ hours), but my current commute is about 20 minutes & there are never any major traffic delays. Where I live, that's about the very best I could hope for.

That doesn't seem so bad. I use to commute about an hour to an hour and a half when I lived in the suburbs instead of in the city. For more money I would do that again especially since I don't have kids at the moment.

Is the 30-35 minutes including traffic?

This commute is mostly all highway, with very light traffic on this highway. I think if anything that would extend the drive would be snow.... but I do feel better knowing it is mostly high way....

How much more an hour do you think it's worth to drive an extra half hour?

It really depends on where you live in the country. I know people in la, San Diego, or even the Bay Area of ca that easily drive 30-60 one way. I also know people who will take a 45 minute ferry ride plus 10-20 minutes drive to work in Seattle. Yet people I know in Maine freak out having to drive more than 15 minutes.

Imo 30-40 minutes is not long if there is more than one route. You don't want bad weather or an accident to make that 30 minutes into 4 hours because you don't have more than one way to get there.

That doesn't seem so bad. I use to commute about an hour to an hour and a half when I lived in the suburbs instead of in the city. For more money I would do that again especially since I don't have kids at the moment.

Is the 30-35 minutes including traffic?

it's all highway! When I get off my exit it is very close by to the new job.

This commute is mostly all highway, with very light traffic on this highway. I think if anything that would extend the drive would be snow.... but I do feel better knowing it is mostly high way....

How much more an hour do you think it's worth to drive an extra half hour?

I haven't been hourly in a while but it would need to be enough to off set the extra gas and time.

My commute (and DH's) is only 12 miles but takes 30-35 minutes most days. Not a big deal. If you live in the DC metro area (which we do), most people would love a 30 minute commute. Our commute is short but we live in the suburbs and work in the suburbs so no major highway's needed. I'm a Federal employee (GS) so not technically an hourly employee, but my hourly rate makes it worth it for me. I do know that people who make 1/2 of what I do per hour are still willing to spend 30+ minutes on the road each way.

it's all highway! When I get off my exit it is very close by to the new job.
You'll be fine. I'm the exact opposite of you - I now live about 10 minutes from work but for the previous 20-something years I consistently drove 30-40-50 minutes or more one way, in city traffic. It was a real drag but one adapts. :drive: I recommend you find a good talk-radio station.

I just thought of that too. How much extra money will you be spending on gas?

I currently get about 30 miles per gallon. I fill up my car about once every week and half and it cost 22 dollars to fill up my car. I currently have no car payment, as I own my vehicle.

The average commute where I grew up is more than an hour, so 35 mins is awesome. And if its a job you love and/opr is more money go for it, I say. Just get some books on tape or something :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter