• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is a 30 minute drive to work too long?

It really depends on what you are comfortable with and what the commute is like (road type, condition, weather, etc.) I currently commute about 22 minutes each way. It's 13 miles to work across country roads. It can get really ugly in the winter and take twice as long, but there's no other choice. I also used to work in Bar Harbor, which is less than 60 miles away. However, it's an almost 2 hour commute from my house to Jackson Labs, and I couldn't take it after 2 years (even though the boss offered me $2K more a year when she realized how far I'd be commuting). Just too time consuming and too much time away from family. Sometimes, Maine-uhs are not kidding when they say, "You cahn't get they-ah from he-ah!"

When I lived 20 miles north of Boston in 1974, it took an hour and 50 minutes to commute into Kenmore Square for work. Didn't keep that job too long! When we lived north of Boston (N. Andover), with DH working about 10 miles north of the city, he found that he could leave the house at 7:30 or at 8:30 and still be to work in Woburn at 9am. Traffic's a b!tc# in the Boston area! He was definitely happy to just drive 30 minutes, rather than sit in traffic for all that time! So, like I said, it all depends on the situation!

30 is my top max, with traffic. On a normal day.

My commute from driveway to desk is between 20-30 min now. About once a month, there is a storm that knocks out power to a traffic light, or an accident, or a rain or snowstorm. Those days are incredibly annoying and frustrating, but they are really relatively rare, considering. If I sat through 8-10 traffic light cycles on a regular basis at these intersections, I would hate it. Almost always, there are never more than 1-5 cars in front of me at a light during my entire commute. And that's the way I like it.

I play old episodes of my favorite Netflix shows on my bluetooth in my car and listen to them while I wait in traffic on those "off" days. And I put my phone screen down so I'm not tempted to watch the screen ;) Safety first!

I live 21 miles from work, so my drive is just about 30 minutes. I don't mind it at all. My drive is also almost all highway. I like the time in the car by myself. I use that time to think through things for the day, pray, and at the end of the day just unwind from a busy day.

I mean it is more than your previous commute of 10 min but 30 isn't too bad really. My poor hubby commutes over an hour and if there is an accident on interstate sometimes takes him 2 hours plus to get home.

It's all what you're used to. My previous job required a 35 minute commute. I didn't like it, but it was what it was, so I dealt. I took a new job that required me to commute 40-45 minutes, and I justify it by it only being 5-10 minutes longer than my previous commute. My brother and sister who drive 10-15 minutes are shocked by the length of my commute, but I also work with people who are coming from very contested cities where their commute can be an hour or longer and they think 40-45 minutes is nice.

For years I lived 3 blocks from where I worked. Now I drive 15-20 minutes each way. It's only 8 miles away, but with traffic lights that's how long it takes. I don't know if I'd be willing to drive further than that for the same pay (I'm a teacher) because I don't want to spend my free time in the car. However, if I were making more money then I would consider it, but it would have to be enough to cover gas, my time, and wear and tear on my car plus extra so that my raise wouldn't just be spent on the commute. You will need new tires more often, more oil changes, and other maintenance on your car and you might have to replace it sooner.

Also, if you ever have to have your car in the shop, how would you get to work? Make sure you have those bases covered.

35 minutes is considered short around here! My mom commuted about 90 minutes while I was in HS, now commutes about 50 mins on the train + walking, and I'm hoping that my first "real" commute will be about 35-40 minutes. Currently it's about 90 seconds, lol.

It takes me 30 minutes just to drive to the highway from my home.

DH worked at one location for 30 years that was an hour commute on a good day. A few months ago he was transferred to a closer location and it is 30 minutes drive. He is in heaven!

I drive 10 minutes to the train station, take a 55 minute train ride and then walk 10 minutes to get to my work.

My commute is (best time) 25 minutes without traffic, but it can and has been over an hour due to traffic or weather.
You should look at factors that can affect your commute and take that into consideration. I'm lucky enough to make my own schedule so I purposely avoid rush hour and when winter weather is coming I try to change my hours to accommodate those delays as well.

Lastly, take the cost of fuel into account as well. When gas prices were high a couple years ago it would take $60/week in fuel costs.

Most of the time I enjoy the commute. It's my time to catch up on podcasts, music, etc. It only really sucks when I'm not feeling well or if something out of the ordinary happens at home (i.e. kid fell in mud at school and needs new clothes lol)

Our drive takes about 12 - 17 minutes depending on traffic. In the morning it's fine. The evening, even 17 gets long. I, personally, would never go more than 20 or so minutes away. I prefer to spend less time getting somewhere, and more time being somewhere..

My daily commute is 35-45 minutes depending on a variety of factors. I've commuted up to an hour and half for other positions as well as school. DH has been in positions that while only 30 miles away could take up to 3 hours each way due to traffic. Do yo me a 30 minute commute is quite reasonable. I will say I do miss my old 7 minute commute.

Here in the NYC area, a half hour commute is rare, and a blessing. DH's commute to the city was about an hour (10 miles). It's now 1/2, local roads, so easy.

Okay, I have read many different opinions, seen every angle, but now i want real life experience opinions! I have been given an opportunity for a promotion! This promotion would need me to travel about 35 minutes to work. Currently my commute is about 10 minutes. Do you all think 35 is too long of a commute? Do any of you commute to work? If so how long?

The grocery store is that far away from home for us, so I don't think that a commute that long would be too much.

It all depends on how you feel about the commute. I had to do it with no choice. I did not want to, and even being with the company for so long I would ask to please let me drive less. Other managers would say to my boss if you make me drive it I quit. So I never even got an option to drive less. I use to have to get up at 3:30 am. I am so happy I finally quit in 06. Only you can decide what is best for you.

Mine is average 30 minutes but I am also early in 615-630am. If I was later say 7,8 or 9am same distance would be 90 minutes or more.

I drive 20 minutes then walk 20 minutes to work (there is no parking at my workplace), my DH commutes 90 minutes each way. So I don't think half an hour is bad.

DH and I both drive 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic) to work. It's only 15 miles but there is no direct way to get there and no matter what way we go, we hit high traffic. It's a choice we made when we recently built our house. We love the area where we work but houses are outdated and cost $50-75k more. So we moved across town. It took some adjustment at first because we were both used to a 5 minute, 1-2 mile, commute but we're all used to it now and don't think anything of it.

The U.S. Census found that average American commutes 25.4 minutes each way. So I can't say 30 minutes is too long since is so close to average.
I have less control over where I work than where I live, and I have never worked in an area I would want to live in. I don't like the city,(that includes downtown, mid-town or anywhere inside the city limits) I prefer the suburbs.

My commute is 30ish minutes, all highway. It's not a problem for me. Most of my co-workers have 30 minute to 1 hour commutes. One travels 90 minutes one way, but only works 4 days a week. Even those who live closer endup on the road about as long as I am because of city traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter