Ireland Trip Report **Finally Finished...Sort of p.13**

Hi Shannon, forgive me for popping into your thread, but im here in Ireland, 20miles south of Dublin city centre, on the Wicklow coast. About a month ago I came across this tread while googling something else, and I was drawn in to read by how enthusiastic you were about coming to Ireland. So I`ve come back a couple of times in passing to see how your plans were going. I have to say, you seem to be so looking forward to coming over here, im a bit worried about us not living up to all your dreams, but hopefully it will be all you hope for. Anyway, I just felt I should give you a couple of thoughts in reply to your last post. On the cloths front, at that time in june id guess the normal temp in Dublin should be round 20 degrees C, which I think is the mid sixty`s in degrees F, but remember if its rainy it will be quite a bit lower, plus if the winds off the sea it will be cooler as the sea never gets that warm round here. remember your light rain jacket, and you`ll have no worries. As to what to do, can I suggest, as the rest of your trip is so organised you just go for a long wander, assuming the weather`s`not to bad. A nice circuit I sometimes do myself is to wander up grafton street, cross the road into stephens green, stroll past the ponds and lawns. if its a nice day in june, it will be full of people just relaxing. then mayby come out of the park at the southern end and wander on to merrian square, where you pass government buildings, which are quite impressive. The oscar wild statue at the corner of the square is worth seeing. Also the national gallery is here, which is not hugh, but has a fair few world renouned pictures, plus its always a good spot for a coffee or lunch break. then you can head into trinity if you like, it is a nice place on a sunny day. After that I would strongly suggest you just stop off in a pub, and just relax over a nice drink, and a chat with whoever may be around. Finally, mayby wander down the river, and see the custom house which is without douth the finest building in Dublin. There`s a new bridge being put in down there, which looks like A harp on its side, very pretty, so have a look for it. In short just be part of dublin while your here, rather than running round the tourist stuff. I really hope you have a wonderfull time, and have a big smile on your face when you cross the river that gave you your name later in your trip. I`ll actually be on a fishing weekend in the shannon estuary, when you arrive in Ireland. If there`s anything you think I can tell you, just ask. enjoy.

Thanks for such a detailed post! I seriously doubt that Ireland will disappoint me in any aspect, but I see what you are saying. I have been wanting to go there for many years and I'm lucky that I am getting to go at all. I think just walking off the plane and knowing that I am finall there will be exciting enough for me. Everything else will be icing on the cake.

I'm asking for other things to see because if I don't have some sort of plan of possible things to do - even if the plan is just wandering the city, we will stand on a street corner getting annoyed with each other for not knowing where to go. And I'm also sure that even if I plan the last second, as soon as I get there most of our plans will go right out the window. Plus since we are seeing some of the tourist-y things with ABD, we thought it might be fun to do other things that are a little less known.

My wife and I went for 10 days in june about 8 years ago, and I remember that it was chilly for summer for us..but we are from houston, tx. :) I would recommend a few sweaters. It was definitely beautiful there!:thumbsup2

My wife and I went for 10 days in june about 8 years ago, and I remember that it was chilly for summer for us..but we are from houston, tx. :) I would recommend a few sweaters. It was definitely beautiful there!:thumbsup2

Exactly my point! :thumbsup2 For many many people 60's is shorts weather...for a native south Floridian like me, it is when we break out our "winter wear" - the warmest sweater we have that we are lucky to wear once a year.

Most of my tops are short sleeves and I'm thinking of having a lightweight long sleeve tee to wear under and/or a lightweight hoodie jacket if I get chilly. And I'm wearing pants everyday - jeans or khakis mostly.

What about Kilmainham Gaol?
Does anyone know anything about that? I thought of going there in our free time in Dublin.

What about Kilmainham Gaol?
Does anyone know anything about that? I thought of going there in our free time in Dublin.

I have read about it a few times...looks kind of neat. But I was under the impression that the stories the guides tell are rather graphic (to go along with its graphic history) and I don't think my 8 yr old niece would like it. If she weren't with us, I'd definitely be interested in going there.

So I came home from work today to a lovely message telling me that one of my return flights (from Shannon to the U.S.) was cancelled. Fabulous. After calling to discuss with ABD, I was told that I can either take what they are "pretty sure" US Air is going to give us - which is leaving 2 hours earlier, Shannon to Newark, Newark to Philly, Philly to West Palm Beach. OR I can cancel all of my flights (coming and going) and start over, playing a cancellation fee plus what ever the cost of flights are now. And just for giggles, I looked at flights now. The cost is about the same, but they all have multiple stops coming and going which is really what I wanted to avoid. Not fun. I'm waiting to hear back from ABD to see what the final outcome will be...either tonight or tomorrow I should know more. My mom was not too happy about this added flight and as a person who is not a huge fan of flying, I am not too jazzed about it either.

ABD called me back a little while ago, and apparently US Air is not offering their "protection service" for the day we need a flight. Only the day before or after. Makes no sense to me but whatever. My only option at that point was to cancel my old flight reservations (without penalty) and start over...which really worked out actually. The awesome ABD rep was able to get us on Delta at very similar flight times to our old reservations. We still have a 3rd stop coming back, which stinks, but the very best part is...........................

We saved $1200!!!

We will now be getting into Dublin around 10...clarabelle, aren't you arriving around that time too, also on Delta? Maybe we are on the same flight - Atlanta to Dublin!

Does any Irish ABD'ers know when the best time to get the money for the tips for the guides is? I think I read somewhere that if you wait until you get to the castle it will be too late. How does the tip thing work? Do they give us envelopes on our last night and we just stuff them full of money?

I wish we could just charge tips to our credit card! It would make it so much easier! I hate carrying around that much cash...especially in a foreign place.

Also...I read somewhere that the guides supply sunscreen, purell and snacks. Does this mean they are free, or do they just have them available to sell? If they have sunscreen I certainly won't be hauling it in my teeny tiny carryon suitcase from Portugal that I'm taking on my Ryan Air flight.

What other tips might some of you know that I don't?

On the Peru trip, the guides had those little bottles of purell and sunscreen that hang on clips - they were hanging on their backpacks, and anyone could get a squirt. Same for bug spray. They did not hand out personal supplies of the stuff. We carried our own anyway, just because I always do (tiny bottle of purell, face stick sunscreen the size of lipstick - they don't take up much room) but it was nice to have the back up.

The snacks were in a basket on the bus, and passed around every time we got on the bus. Also water.

We got an information booklet the day we arrived that included envelopes for tips stapled in the back, which most folks used. Based on what I had read here, I had already brought my own cards with a Disney theme. We each wrote a thank you note in the card on the last day, and tucked in cash, which we had brought with us in American dollars. Again this was based on advice I'd gotten here. I just kept the large bills tucked in a pocket in my purse. I know some people got money out the day of, though, and that worked fine too. I just didn't want to have to worry about it.

Not specific to your Ireland trip, but I hope that helps. I had all these questions last year. I find it so hard to relax until I feel like I know all I can!

That helps so much! I had the same questions. I'm still debating on whether to already have the cash for the tips or just wait. :confused3

I should add: it would probably be useful to hear from someone who has actually done the Ireland trip as to the Purell. In Peru, there was much concern about bacteria in general, as it was basically a 3rd world country. (People peed in the streets and and animals were everywhere. Not clean.) The guides were really focused on avoiding any tummy issues that would ruin someone's trip. I don't know if this would be such a concern in European countries, so it might not be at the top of the guides' lists.

I should add: it would probably be useful to hear from someone who has actually done the Ireland trip as to the Purell. In Peru, there was much concern about bacteria in general, as it was basically a 3rd world country. (People peed in the streets and and animals were everywhere. Not clean.) The guides were really focused on avoiding any tummy issues that would ruin someone's trip. I don't know if this would be such a concern in European countries, so it might not be at the top of the guides' lists.
Our guides had Purell on my Southwest Splendors tour, so I don't think it's just a 3rd world country thing. It's to their advantage to keep everyone on a tour healthy!

Sayhello

Does any Irish ABD'ers know when the best time to get the money for the tips for the guides is? I think I read somewhere that if you wait until you get to the castle it will be too late. How does the tip thing work? Do they give us envelopes on our last night and we just stuff them full of money?

I wish we could just charge tips to our credit card! It would make it so much easier! I hate carrying around that much cash...especially in a foreign place.

Also...I read somewhere that the guides supply sunscreen, purell and snacks. Does this mean they are free, or do they just have them available to sell? If they have sunscreen I certainly won't be hauling it in my teeny tiny carryon suitcase from Portugal that I'm taking on my Ryan Air flight.

What other tips might some of you know that I don't?

Get the tip money in either Dublin or Killarney!
We are here right now! Free internet access at Killarney Plaza. Out to do the pony cart and bike ride this morning! The weather has been absolutely lovely ... sunny! We have a small group, only 24. Dublin is such a fun city!

More when i get home ...

Get the tip money in either Dublin or Killarney!
We are here right now! Free internet access at Killarney Plaza. Out to do the pony cart and bike ride this morning! The weather has been absolutely lovely ... sunny! We have a small group, only 24. Dublin is such a fun city!

More when i get home ...

So jealous! Hope you are having a great time...hope you will share your trip with us when you get back!

I got my flight info in today!

Redzinner -I hope you are having a wonderful time!

Redzinner - you obviously have the "ABD high" going! So glad your trip is going well and can't wait to hear all about it. Have fun!

Whee! redzinner is in Ireland! Congrats! So glad you are enjoying yourselves! Looking forward to a trip report!

Sayhello

We are having a great adventure. I admit I was sceptical that it could equal Viva Italia but it has. Wonderful guides Jennae and Francesc ... great fun.
Off to the castle today. We did have a windy rainy day on the eco-tour yesterday but it was still fun. The sun did come out for the ring of Kerry drive. Such a lovely country and lovely fun people.

Nothing like live updates!!

Thanks for keeping us updated and I'm so glad you are having a great time.

I'm so excited now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter