Interval International Exchanges

snowbirds

Earning My Ears
We are very upset with the new point exchange system that has been put in place for II exchanges. They have doubled, and no one has given us a rational, reasonable explanation as to why.

We were astounded to learn that a studio now will cost 134 points and a one bedroom 160 for any exchange in high season for the Caribbean which, of course, is always high season. Even resorts which are rated average and not on a par with a Disney resort are commanding those points.

Previously, a studio would cost under 100 points and a one bedroom under 130 points.

When we bought our points, one of the primary reasons was the ability to use the II exchange at a reasonable point cost.

What has caused this drastic change? Does anyone else feel as betrayed as we do? :mad:

One of the reasons explained that there never was a set list of how much exchanges would be in points.

Also while the Caribbean might have been low, another area may have been high ( Lets say 200 points )

Also if you have any quality concerns I would contact DVC, it was explained to us that II only shares their better places with DVC and if you have an inferior stay, I believe both II and DVC would like to hear about it.

Cheryl

I think they went to this system to encourage members to make use of the exchanges. The "unknown" amount versus the point charts we were used to intimidated some folks. I'm hoping that it's true that the increases you see are matched by decreases elsewhere.

Also, as with the Disney resorts, the points can fluctuate. There was a big jump in those points when they revised the system to allow for booking specific types of rooms.

Caribbean isn't always high season. I was just offered Marriott Ocean Club in Aruba on December 14. 1BR for 134 points because it's off-season . I'm trying to decide whether to take it. Really wanted January or February, but I understand the Marriott is very nice and hard to get.

Is there a list somewhere of the new II point charts?

Studio low-season=106, mid=123, high=134
1 BR low-season=124, mid=144, high=160
2 BR low-season=207, mid=252, high=270

For the trade you want to be called "high" season, it's really the most prime time for the location, like Xmas thru March in the Caribbean or a prime holiday ski week. Many places during "red" time will be called "mid" season. If the week you are seeking is classified as yellow or green with II, expect the trade to be called "low" season for DVC trading purposes. HTH.

Originally posted by GrammieMame
Caribbean isn't always high season. I was just offered Marriott Ocean Club in Aruba on December 14. 1BR for 134 points because it's off-season . I'm trying to decide whether to take it. Really wanted January or February, but I understand the Marriott is very nice and hard to get.
Was that for an ongoing search where you were searching for a sleep 4 studio? It should be 144 points (mid season) for a 1 BR that time, that's still off season in Aruba but the next week is prime time.

The original post of this thread says some of the things I've said although much more strongly. The stated reason for the change is to simplify exchanges and encourage members to exchange and it seems to be working. It's like charging more per once for the big box of cereal. I am convinced that II put preasure on DVC in some way to work out a new system that would encourage more exchanges, more high season exchanges, and more non OKW or HH deposits while II agreed to accept smaller units in return. More exchanges will decrease the exchange power of those that do exchange. The new system will also impact availability for DVC members more than the old system.

As noted, studios are much higher as are all exchanges that would have been adventure season under the old system. Overall the points are only somewhat higher though.

Since I never saw the old system as a reasonable exchange, this is not a big deal to me but it does cause me to slowly shake my head. In the long run DVC is doing the members a disservice by being so limiting on choices. The loss of bonus weeks, the ability to trade up in unit size, lack of full access to Getaways and Flexchange all fit together to make the program far less than it could be.

Dean,

Thank you for confirming what we felt was nothing more than a means of increasing the cost to DVC members for exchanges that are not always the most advantageous. Just try St. Maarten and the Royal Islander Club LaPlage, Maho Bay with those 747 jets streaming in and out on the weekends; be sure to bring ear plugs.

If the goal is to increase the use of II exchanges, why increase the point exchange--as you say "charging more per ounce for the big box of cereal" is not benefitting DVC members.

Can you offer us some alternatives?

I have followed a lot of Dean's threads on this over the past and have actully done some research. My feeling is that if I was buying to exchange I would NOT do DVC. I think you can buy a resale on a nice exchange property for less than DVC and use that as an exchange. (Every now and then I wander over to tug and look for a good deal, but so far I have not moved on that!)

CarolA,

We're beginning to get that message too! But it was nice while it lasted--which wasn't too long; about two years to be exact. We just wish a marketing tool used to encourage ownership wouldn't change criteria so drastically.

Originally posted by snowbirds
Can you offer us some alternatives?
Nothing I haven't said before. Rent out your DVC points and pay cash for other timeshare rentals, use Independent Exchange Companies, do direct exchanges with other timeshare owners, buy other timeshares for exchanging and do not buy DVC with the other options in mind including exchanges, DC, DCL and the like.

DVC was never a good exchange option.

Dean: That being said, is the Marriott Ocean Club in Aruba a good offer? I was asking for a studio or 1BR, and got a response almost immediately. Have to let them know something tomorrow.
I read the TUG reviews and while most people gave it high marks, the more recent reviews talked about furniture being run down. There also seems to be lots of construction going on, although that might not be such a problem by December. Also, when I confirm, can I request a certain room view with any likelihood of getting it? The TUG people were very helpful in identifying the best locations, but some locations seem to be not so hot. Also, our checkin day is Sunday. Is that normal, or do different units have different checkins? Thanks

That's why they offered it to you for the 134 points, studio high season. The resort has a lot of construction going on and that could be a problem. Exchangers will get the lowest priority for room assignments. They have Friday, Sat and Sun check in days so you should be OK in that regard. Unlike DVC, it will be certain units that have certain check in days. It's a great resort, just make sure you check air fare before you say OK.

Hi ,
I m new and would like to know if anyone has used Their exchanges for Thanksgiving week to any of the Carribean or Mexico resorts with children close to my kids ages ~ ~ Boy 12 girl 9.
Thanks!!

Hi ,
I m new and would like to know if anyone has used Their exchanges for Thanksgiving week to any of the Carribean or Mexico resorts with children close to my kids ages ~ ~ Boy 12 girl 9.
Thanks!!

Hi, Luv Our DVC - You might want to start a new thread and ask your question there - I don't think many people are going to read this thread all the way through to find your question, since the thread you found by searching is 5 years old.

I traded in and got a studio at the Ko Olina in Oahu for June and now we cannot go and I cannot for the life of me get rid of it... I now know that DVC trading to II is not what I will ever do again just because of the inflexibility.

Not complaining at II or DVC but now I have a reservation I cannot use, no one seems to want and if I turn it in I can't really use it do to my son's school schedule. My bad - if I want to do II I will buy into a different timeshare.

I traded in and got a studio at the Ko Olina in Oahu for June and now we cannot go and I cannot for the life of me get rid of it... I now know that DVC trading to II is not what I will ever do again just because of the inflexibility.

Not complaining at II or DVC but now I have a reservation I cannot use, no one seems to want and if I turn it in I can't really use it do to my son's school schedule. My bad - if I want to do II I will buy into a different timeshare.
Unfortunately you've found one of the reasons I've preached to always be trading up rather than laterally or downtrading. While it's a known risk, it's easier to stomach when you're inherent cost is $400 rather than $1400-1500 or so. Here's what I'd do, it's called a retrade. Keep calling in until they find something else you can use. They can swap it and you'll have to pay another fee but at least you won't lose everything.

Unfortunately you've found one of the reasons I've preached to always be trading up rather than laterally or downtrading. While it's a known risk, it's easier to stomach when you're inherent cost is $400 rather than $1400-1500 or so. Here's what I'd do, it's called a retrade. Keep calling in until they find something else you can use. They can swap it and you'll have to pay another fee but at least you won't lose everything.

That is the problem - I can use something next summer but that is not an option I can only look through April so basically I have nothing I can use and wasted a ton of points. I will never trade again - very costly mistake.

That is the problem - I can use something next summer but that is not an option I can only look through April so basically I have nothing I can use and wasted a ton of points. I will never trade again - very costly mistake.
Why by April. You should be able to get anything available from a year out from the date of cancellation or 2 years out from the check in date of the week DVC gave II which ever is less. That should go through June at least and given you couldn't have given II anything until around a year or less ago, it's unlikely the 2 year window after the week deposited has elapsed. If you cancel within 60 days or less it's far more restrictive though. The only other issue would be if you had cancelled previously and this was your replacement week in which case once you cancel you're out of luck though you could still retrade without canceling in many cases. While you couldn't rent the week, you could give it away if you wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter