Increased ticket prices coming soon?

Back to ticket price increases, there is a lot of talk about tiering one day passes. I personally expect that eventually multi-day passes will be included in that but wonder how it will work. Will you have to buy passes that are locked into certain dates? I don't really like that.

Back to ticket price increases, there is a lot of talk about tiering one day passes. I personally expect that eventually multi-day passes will be included in that but wonder how it will work. Will you have to buy passes that are locked into certain dates? I don't really like that.

I haven't figured out how it's even possible.

One theory is that you buy the multidays to avoid tiering altogether...but that defeats the purpose of tiering...which is to charge more for the same product with absolutely no additional costs.

I haven't figured out how it's even possible.

One theory is that you buy the multidays to avoid tiering altogether...but that defeats the purpose of tiering...which is to charge more for the same product with absolutely no additional costs.
I don't get it either.

When we go we might get multi-day passes but then keep a day or two free to just go to a park whenever we feel like it. If we overlap into a different tier then it would seem odd to somehow try to charge more. Or maybe Disney will just focus on first day of use? What if you change your mind and go at another time?

Too many questions.

See to me this is why the tiering at WDW (which has 4 parks unlike the USHollywood that only has 1 park) makes everything soo much more complicated than it already is (though I'm not sure anyone is stating that it wouldn't make it more complicated). If it's gonna happen it will it just will make it more or a challenge actually going on the trip and planning for it than before so it won't make me not go......for now.

I mean for reals there is no way I can effectively explain all that we need to do for our upcoming trip to my family that hasn't been in about 14 years. My husband and I went in 2011 but the game has totally changed with FP+ as far as needing to pick a park to go to for a specific day if you want to utilize FP+ to it's fullest not to mention we never really did food other than QS but now we want to step it up for this trip so we will need to do ADR then you add in the MB, fingerprint scans and we've never stayed on site but plan to for this upcoming trip..it's like I need a day long crash course for me and my family-which is why I'm constantly on here lol because really you guys are SOOOOO amazing at the information I'm so glad I started researching early.

Now add the tiering where we would potentially pay a number of different pricing (from one screenshot of what tiering might look like) which for us could include a value weekday price, then value weekend price, then a step-up from value weekend price..and we would always do multi-day (usually 5-days but split between that and USO so it wouldn't be 5 consecutive days at WDW) and we add on hopper. I have no idea how the tier could make sense to the average person when FP+ seems to confuse the ones not used to going regularly (I can't tell you how many comments-not on this site, saying the people had no idea about FP+ or they didn't really realize how to utilize it or customize it to their liking and thus their experience was impacted negatively by that) and how that works out with multi-days and hoppers..argh just too much stuff which if my famiy didn't have me to plan they would just say forget it all together and vacation elsewhere.

It'd be terrible if we had to, but I think Disney would like that more. I mean, they'd have a way of knowing in advance how crowded each park will be and so manage to allocate things accordingly. Like: "AK has fewer estimated attendance on day X based on tickets bought so far, so we'll put as little CMs as possible and close early"

And technically, with FP+ and dining reservations, a lot of people are already roped into a specific park on a specific date.

I'm hoping that if tiered ticketing does come for multipasses, it'll be as a seasonal thing: multitickets you plan to use on july-august will be X, multitickets for any date of the year will be 2X, september-october Y etcetc

Based on their proposal, yes and no.
If you wanted to buy the Bronze level, you would only be able to go during "Bronze" times.
If you bought Silver, you would be able to go during Silver AND Bronze times.
If you bought Gold, you could go whenever you wanted.

That's their game on how they're going to sell it - they're still offering tickets that allow "flexbility" and the "ability" to go whenever, just at a very high premium cost. But they're offering cheaper options for those looking for them.

Basically, the same thing as what Uni is doing - if you know your dates, you pick them. But if you don't, then you just buy the "Anytime" ticket (which is the most expensive).

Last edited:
So the tiered pricing would only be one one day tickets, not multi-day?

I don't get it either.

When we go we might get multi-day passes but then keep a day or two free to just go to a park whenever we feel like it. If we overlap into a different tier then it would seem odd to somehow try to charge more. Or maybe Disney will just focus on first day of use? What if you change your mind and go at another time?

Too many questions.
Many moons ago before the Internet let you see exactly what you were paying Disney's policy for hotel rooms was that if your stay split different rates they would apply the highest rate to your entire stay. Once people realize this they began making multiple reservations to ensure they weren't paying more so Disney eventually changed to the per day cost. While I think this would be more difficult for tickets I do think they could use this as another benefit for onsite guest by tiering out the costs at a lower rate when tied to a reservation.

Based on their proposal, yes and no.
If you wanted to buy the Bronze level, you would only be able to go during "Bronze" times.
If you bought Silver, you would be able to go during Silver AND Bronze times.
If you bought Gold, you could go whenever you wanted.

That's their game on how they're going to sell it - they're still offering tickets that allow "flexbility" and the "ability" to go whenever, just at a very high premium cost. But they're offering cheaper options for those looking for them.

Basically, the same thing as what Uni is doing - if you know your dates, you pick them. But if you don't, then you just buy the "Anytime" ticket (which is the most expensive).
So you think that's how it would work then that it didn't really matter what level of ticket you bought as long as you bought the one that would AT LEAST cover the cost of the day you were going?

I mean that is how the discount tickets for AMC Theatres work so I do get it..before they switched to red and green tickets I mean. They had gold and silver. Gold was for new releases and cost around $1.50-$2 more than silver (depending on when you bought them and when they raised the prices to match raised prices in the theaters) and silver was for non-new releases. However, you could use your gold pass for a non-new release but if you really looked at it you over-paid since you could have bought a silver pass and spent less- so in WDW scenario you bought a Gold level but went during a Silver or Bronze time period.

Although you could also use your silver pass to see a new release you just paid the upcharge. Now I'm wondering if they would do something like that where if you had a ticket that didn't fully cover the cost of your day if you would have to pay an upcharge to get you to that level of that day you were going or if they would make you buy a brand new ticket and then have to save the other one for later.

I'm hoping this makes sense.

So the tiered pricing would only be one one day tickets, not multi-day?

What they proposed in that survey IIRC, was doing away with multi-day tickets. You buy individual day tickets. Then you would get a volume-based discount. So, if you bought 5 tickets you would get (example, I forget the actual proposed discount) 15% off.

I fully expect tiering to apply to multi-day tickets. If you want to use a ticket for a Gold day, you're going to have to have a Gold multi-day ticket, or upgrade to one - not just for the day, but the entire length of the ticket. Not a lot different to upgrading to park hopping or WPFM currently.

What they proposed in that survey IIRC, was doing away with multi-day tickets. You buy individual day tickets. Then you would get a volume-based discount. So, if you bought 5 tickets you would get (example, I forget the actual proposed discount) 15% off.

There were a few different versions of that survey...

That's the tough one isn't it? Because while I think one day passes are probably the bulk of Paris and Disneyland revenue, I have to think that 5 day passes (or longer) are where most of WDW's money comes from.

The only way I can see to do it would be to tie park tickets to specific calendar dates and that would be a radical change to the current model.

This is all getting ridiculous, it's just becoming too complicated to vacation here. The average traveler doesn't sit down and make an itinerary for their vacation 3 months (or whatever it needs to be) ahead of time . I can't imagine that in the long run all these complicated planning scenario's aren't going to hurt their bottom line. I think most people are going to be one and done. Why? Because they won't be educated enough to know what they need to do to ensure they have a good trip. I think they'll be frustrated with the lines and not being able to get food and say the hell with it. This was our trip of a lifetime lets go somewhere else.

I know I'm thankful our kids were young in the early 2000's and we had great trips and memories. My DD17 is going for a day trip for spring break, and ugh. You can't even just go and do that. Has to get all her friends to link their accounts so they can get fastpasses together. Just too much!

I fully expect tiering to apply to multi-day tickets. If you want to use a ticket for a Gold day, you're going to have to have a Gold multi-day ticket, or upgrade to one - not just for the day, but the entire length of the ticket. Not a lot different to upgrading to park hopping or WPFM currently.

Requiring that sort of upgrade will create a massive "cluster" at all the park entrances. People aren't going to track this stuff that close and they aren't going to understand why their ticket doesn't work and why they have to pay more money. Every single group will need to have this explained to them and then pacified.

Requiring that sort of upgrade will create a massive "cluster" at all the park entrances. People aren't going to track this stuff that close and they aren't going to understand why their ticket doesn't work and why they have to pay more money. Every single group will need to have this explained to them and then pacified.
Worst case scenario for them is someone is loud enough they let them in "this time" and best case scenario the CM has a mobile swipe and upgrades your ticket for you on the spot. They've had two years now of dealing with unhappy guests and they've learned the golden FP can cure a lot of things. However they structure is going to be designed to make them the most money possible not easiest to understand by the consumer.

This is all getting ridiculous, it's just becoming too complicated to vacation here. The average traveler doesn't sit down and make an itinerary for their vacation 3 months (or whatever it needs to be) ahead of time . I can't imagine that in the long run all these complicated planning scenario's aren't going to hurt their bottom line. I think most people are going to be one and done. Why? Because they won't be educated enough to know what they need to do to ensure they have a good trip. I think they'll be frustrated with the lines and not being able to get food and say the hell with it. This was our trip of a lifetime lets go somewhere else.

I know I'm thankful our kids were young in the early 2000's and we had great trips and memories. My DD17 is going for a day trip for spring break, and ugh. You can't even just go and do that. Has to get all her friends to link their accounts so they can get fastpasses together. Just too much!
Yup totally agree..you'll see my post about that a page or 2 back from this one.

I agree. The lines are already long enough. Hopefully they'll have separate windows for upgrades if this should come to pass.

Love your signature statement. :thumbsup2

People overestimate just how big Brazil is to wdw. A LARGE part of brazilians traveling overseas visit Florida (50%) and wdw...but it doesn't account for much at wdw...I think it was speculated at 5% a few years back.

Michigan poses as much of a threat (no offense to Michigan...if I wanted to make fun of a state there are many more worthy)...

The Brazilian issue is that they cluster on the calendar and disproportionately stay on property...and don't leave.

I don't think the Brazilians just stay at WDW. We went to the Best Buy at Millennia to replace a broken iPod while we were there. Packed with Brazilians and they were buying. We were talking to one of the workers and apparently it's the highest grossing Best Buy in the country. Universal also has tons of Brazilians now, both tour groups and family groups. I think part of the allure of the Orlando trip is the shopping, it's not just about WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter