In room sitting...what do they do?

diz_princess

Mouseketeer
Hi,
We are heading to WDW in a couple of weeks. I need a sitter to watch my child. He will be sleeping in our room when we need a sitter. Does the sitter just "sit" there and read while the child is sleeping? I mean that's what they are there for, right?
Also, is there a sticky topic with in room sitting options like who to call? Or a link to a page of the info? Maybe even what sitters are recommended?
Thanks!

Yes, Disney endorses Kid's Night Out. It isn't cheap, but they've got great feedback. There is also Fairy Godmother's & I've heard good things about them too.

Good luck!

I, too, am wondering about this. What does the sitter do once the kids are asleep? Sit there in the semi-darkness and stare at the wall? :confused3
We'll be in a 1-bedroom villa on our next trip- so this should be okay for us- but how does it work in a regular room?
Has anyone done this before?
-Sarah

We used KNO two weeks ago and once my two DS's were sleeping she pulled her chair up right in front of the TV and watched TV. I didn't have a problem with it because if I were there I would be doing the same thing but I'd be laying on the bed instead of sitting in the chair.

Okay, I can no longer recommend Fairy Godmothers after this last trip. We had used them previously with great success. I requested the same person (who read a book after the kids went to sleep) but she was unavailable. I was assured that I would get a great sitter nonetheless.

Our sitter arrived and talked, and talked, and talked to us. Finally we leave after clearly stating our rules and "allowed" things to both the sitter & the kids. When we came back, the sitter was sleeping in our bed under the spread!!!!! I was furious! I was so tired and upset that I just wanted her to leave. At this point I pay her and then she keeps talking and talking and talking to dh. Since the kids are starting to move around, I notice they don't even have their pj's on! So I wake them up to change and what do I notice? A big chocolate spot on ds's new white shirt! Where did the chocolate come from? I did not authorize a snack that was chocolate...oh, sitter took us to get ice cream at the food court. WHAT!?!? How did she pay? For dd & ds she used the room key and charged the ice cream to our DDP snack credits! Sorry for ranting, but I just cannot believe this. I debated whether to call the head lady, but I knew it would just end up putting a dark cloud over the rest of our trip and then when I got home I just had too much going on to bother. I know there's something else she did that I was angry about but I cannot remember it now.

I hope this helps others when deciding on a service or clarifying things with the sitter before you leave. I just can't believe I received this kind of service from a "professional."

Okay, I can no longer recommend Fairy Godmothers after this last trip. We had used them previously with great success. I requested the same person (who read a book after the kids went to sleep) but she was unavailable. I was assured that I would get a great sitter nonetheless.

Our sitter arrived and talked, and talked, and talked to us. Finally we leave after clearly stating our rules and "allowed" things to both the sitter & the kids. When we came back, the sitter was sleeping in our bed under the spread!!!!! I was furious! I was so tired and upset that I just wanted her to leave. At this point I pay her and then she keeps talking and talking and talking to dh. Since the kids are starting to move around, I notice they don't even have their pj's on! So I wake them up to change and what do I notice? A big chocolate spot on ds's new white shirt! Where did the chocolate come from? I did not authorize a snack that was chocolate...oh, sitter took us to get ice cream at the food court. WHAT!?!? How did she pay? For dd & ds she used the room key and charged the ice cream to our DDP snack credits! Sorry for ranting, but I just cannot believe this. I debated whether to call the head lady, but I knew it would just end up putting a dark cloud over the rest of our trip and then when I got home I just had too much going on to bother. I know there's something else she did that I was angry about but I cannot remember it now.

I hope this helps others when deciding on a service or clarifying things with the sitter before you leave. I just can't believe I received this kind of service from a "professional."

If you have time, I would still call or write a letter to FG's. This is unacceptable and it could happen to someone else if the proper people are not notified and this issue taken care of with the sitter. I would be FURIOUS!!!

MJHD....It's not too late to complain about this 'sitter'. Her behavior was UNACCEPTABLE and the only way for the FG company to know about it is for you to complain.

I doubt at this late point in the game will get anything back for it (although they may credit your CC back if that is how you paid) but I always tell people, 'We can't fix a problem unless it is there' (in my work).

I agree that you NEED to let the owner/manager of FG know about what went on. That is insane!

Sorry you went through that.

Wow! I would call the owner and tell her. She needs to know. This is completely unacceptable, and I'm a pretty lenient person!

What was the sitter's name? I use FG every year and want to make sure I don't get her! PM me if you can.

Thanks,
jodifla

Thanks for the replies everyone (and hope OP doesn't thinking I'm "stealing" her thread!). I thought maybe I was simply overreacting. I will write a letter letting them know of the issues. The sitter's name was Anne. Fairy Godmothers was $16/hr (min 4 hrs) + $14 travel charge I believe.

Thanks for the replies everyone (and hope OP doesn't thinking I'm "stealing" her thread!). I thought maybe I was simply overreacting. I will write a letter letting them know of the issues. The sitter's name was Anne. Fairy Godmothers was $16/hr (min 4 hrs) + $14 travel charge I believe.

Thanks for the heads up. We've used FG about 8 times, and always had great experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter