In need of some quick AKL recs (or not)

Brer Brett

Mouseketeer
DW and I are going down in 3 weeks. We've had our POR reservations for a few months, but now since we've had the vacation paid for awhile, we're thinking of upgrading to AKL.

I called today and they have availability, but it would be a standard room.

We've never been to AKL. I've been to POR many times, but DW has not been to POR.

I guess I'm wondering if you think AKL is worth the upgrade even if we couldn't get one of the Savannah views since neither of us have been there before.

Thanks!

AKL is absolutely AMAZING!! It is so unlike any other Disney hotel. I highly recommend it.

But, I would only upgrade for a Savannah view room as it completes the experience of staying at the Lodge.

I upgraded from PoFQ to akl. I got regular view. I've been there before to visit the resort, but never stayed there. I think its well worth it even with standard view. You can see so much from the resort itself you don't need to see it from your room, admiteddly that'd be nice though. Lots of hotels have views that aren't of animals or something else really interesting. AKL is the same, the hotel is still great though and you can still see lots of the animals. There is even night vision goggle viewing there, no charge.

I have never stayed at POR but I LOVE AKL and have stayed there at least 10 times (3-7 night stays each) I would tell anyone who has the chance to stay at AKL to GO FOR IT. It is an absolutely beautiful resort and IMO a very special place. And the Deluxe resorts offer more ammenities so you will be in for a treat ( in addition to the obvious advantage of those animals!)
Good luck!

I guess I'm wondering if you think AKL is worth the upgrade even if we couldn't get one of the Savannah views since neither of us have been there before.

Thanks!

Yes. I've stayed there twice in Savannah-view rooms. They are FAR from the lobby, and there are plenty of other places within the resort to see the animals. As a result, I've requested pool-view rooms for this year's trips. I think it IS worht the upgrade, even it's to a standard/pool-view room.

-G

Another vote for Animal Kingdom! I think a savannah view room completes the experience, but it's still a fantastic resort -- with plenty of places to view animals -- even if you have to stay in another room.

We've stayed at AKL twice now. Both times we had Savannah view. Last time I booked standard room but the Disney Gods looked down favorably on us and we were upgraded to Savannah view (I acutally got up the nerve to ask to be upgraded and the CM said she had already done it! We were interrupted by a couple who had been there since Hurricane Frances and the CM said they felt comfortable with her-I guess she went ahead and upgraded us since I didn't object when they (kinda of) took cuts in front of us while we were being helped. :confused3 ) This is my one, and only, time we were upgraded-but it was awesome!

Anyway, for me my favorite part of staying at AKL is being able to enjoy my breakfast on the balcony while the animals eat theres. There's a lovely stillness to the grounds as the sun rises that is just magical! :wizard: But, since you haven't been there yet, and who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get upgraded (or a view room may become available) I would change to AKL. It is pretty awesome! And as others have said, you can still see the animals around the resort in viewing areas. Even though we had view rooms sometimes we viewed the animals from the other areas. And the resort has some pretty cool events scheduled through out the day.

If you do book AKL standard room, keep calling back to check availability of Savannah view-You might get lucky.

Have a great time.

And the Deluxe resorts offer more ammenities so you will be in for a treat ( in addition to the obvious advantage of those animals!)
Good luck!

We are also debating on upgrading but cost and ammenities seemed to lean in favor of POR. What ammenities other then the animals does AKL offer? I know they have games for kids throughout the day, what else do they offer? I know POR has a boat to DTD, you can rent boats and bikes, you can pay for a horse drawn carriage ride and the food court has special stuff for kids throughout the middle of the day i.e cookie decorating... Never stayed at AKL, so was wondering.

Yes. I've stayed there twice in Savannah-view rooms. They are FAR from the lobby, and there are plenty of other places within the resort to see the animals. As a result, I've requested pool-view rooms for this year's trips. I think it IS worht the upgrade, even it's to a standard/pool-view room.

-G
Me too! The place is AWESOME!:thumbsup2

DW and I are going down in 3 weeks. We've had our POR reservations for a few months, but now since we've had the vacation paid for awhile, we're thinking of upgrading to AKL.

I called today and they have availability, but it would be a standard room.

We've never been to AKL. I've been to POR many times, but DW has not been to POR.

Thanks!

Just wanted you to know I'm cancelling a AKL SV reservation for May 10 - 20th soon. I purchased DVC points and no longer need the cash reservation. PM me if you are going during those dates and want to arrange a time to for me to call and cancel it in hopes you get it.
~Alexa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter