• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm on the driving thing again! Need to hear from you Disney Drivers! ºoº

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi! We are set on flying to WDW April 2002, although the air fares are NUTS! And without codes yet I haven't booked a thing (I am thinking mid/late January deals might appear).

We were hoping on an annual WDW trip, but dh and I are now thinking every two years so we can try new places on the in-between years. So I am thinking about driving again.

We have a LONG car trip planned for this summer, doing a circle thru NY, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, NC, SC (to Myrtle Beach), then up thru Virginia, WV, PA, NY and home to Mississauga. NOW! That's the plan, whether we actually get there is another story! You see, we have Canada's Wonderland season's passes and I knew that they are portable, so we thought about visiting the Paramount parks in the states, we will visit two for sure and a third is a maybe. Since one is in Charlotte NC and Myrtle Beach is only 5 hours away, we thought about doing that too. I have been plotting my course on www.mapquest.com and www.freetrip.com and see that we will be driving arounf 40 hours round trip! WELL! That's to Disney World and back as well! So IF we successfully manage the Paramount summer trip, I think 2003 or 2004, we might try driving. My car won't make it and dh's AC broke, too $$$ to fix. Driving w/o AC YIKES!

So, what's the fast route in the summer months?

If we drive 2003/2004 I'll buy a regular 7 day hopper plus for everyone and use it over two trips.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP! SURE IS FUN GETTING BACK TO PLANNING WDW TRIPS!

Sandra,
After our wonderful trip this past November, I too am hoping our family can go to WDW more often than we could afford to fly. It will take a lot of convincing to get my DH to drive with the kids all that way. We would have to add a week of vacation time to make the drive more enjoyable. I think if I throw in a few days of golf in South Carolina I may be able to convince him. I was actually thinking about going next Christmas and adding a week into January, that way the kids and DH will only miss one week of school and work.
It's only three years until our oldest DS goes to high school so I feel the more we can go now when the boys are the perfect age (although any age is perfect for Disney) the better. - Ruth

We arrived home last night after being at WDW for almost 2 weeks. Total driving time from London to Orlando was roughly 20 hours. We were fortunate in that the roads were really good both ways. We always pack snacks in the van when we travel, so our eating costs are kept to a minimum on the drive. Our total costs on the way down were one hotel stay ($105), one supper at Cracker Barrel ($60), and gas ($90) for a grand total of Cdn$255 (one way).

On the return trip, we left Orlando at noon on Dec 31 (the MK was full by noon, so it seemed like a good time to get out of there :) ) and arrived in Ringgold, GA by 9:00 that night. We left Ringgold at 8:00am yesterday and arrived home at 8:30pm driving almost non-stop. We took a few potty and stretch breaks along the way, and for entertainment we have the TV/VCR combo unit which sits on the floor in the back seat and the kids have their video games and Walkmans (Walkmen?) to keep themselves amused. The kids are 12 & 10.

We didn't find the drive to onerous and it was a real pleasure having our own vehicle in Orlando rather than an expensive rental. I commented to my wife yesterday that the drive wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated and that I'd have no hesitation to do it again, providing we have the time to spend on the road. She agreed.

- Mike

THX for your replies! We are taking a *practice* run this summer with a 10 hour drive to Cincinnati (about 8.5 hours in the car, 1.5 hours est. at boarder and rest stops). We are GIANT amusment park enthusiasts and want to spend 3 or 4 days at Paramount King's Island. I am looking forward to it. If all goes well, I can see me planning a driving trip to WDW! Keep your suggestions coming! Where to stop, where to stay, costs: gas, meals, hotels etc.,. THANKS!

This will be our 3rd time driving in Feb/ March and we really like it. We have four children 4-10 and no real problems. The tv vcr is a must though. My only suggestion would be to get a trip tik from CAA. it is great and easy to follow.

The best advice I can give you is to buy Dave Hunter's Along I-75. It is published in Mississauga by a Canadian. It has been a lifesaver every time we have driven to WDW. The first time my daughter was 6 years old and a terrible traveller. The book made the ride enjoyable for her. The book is updated every year with the new edition coming out in the fall to coincide with the Snowbirds travelling to Florida for the winter. I have seen it for sale in my local CAA and have bought a copy at Coles book store.

Along Interstate-75
2000 Edition
Dave Hunter

Are you among the millions who drive I-75 on the annual trek to Florida's
sun or northern summer vacations to Ohio, Michigan or Canada? Do you
find the trip boring? This award winning book will open your eyes and
make the journey much more interesting. Not only that, the trip will seem
much quicker.

Walk through the "Air Force One" used by JFK on the fateful Dallas trip,
explore an abandoned Civil War railway tunnel and railroad track, eat at
the Whistle Stop Cafe made famous in the movie "Fried Green
Tomatoes" - you will drive right past these free I-75 attractions without
this book in your car.

For more points of interest along I-75, visit the Mile Oak website at
http://www.I75online.com

PUBLISHER/SUPPLIER: MILE OAK PUBLISHING INC.
ISBN: 1-896819-04-4, price: $27.95
ISBN: 1-896819-14-1 (2002 edition)

I am so sorry if I am repeating this to you- but I havent been lurking the Candian boards lately and don't know what has or has not been posted. However, I would rather repeat it, then have you miss it!

I dont know what your dates are for April - but there is 2 codes out RIGHT NOW unti lApril 20th.

1) Candian Resort Special is out (yeah for the Canucks) - values start at $79, moderates start at $99...deluxes vary, but I'll tell you this much - it saved us $2000 - that's $2000 AMERICAN ($3000+ Canadian) on our honeymoon ressi's at the POLY!!!!!!!!

2) There are 'postcard' rates flying around right now - HOWEVER...there IS a way to book either AKL or WL for $169 per night WITHOUT the postcard in your hand...since I don't know if I can post how to do that here - you are welcome to email or PM me for details...

...hope this info helps and sorry if I am repeating what others have already said here on the good old Canadian board....

Christine

Thanks Christine! I booked 10 days at CSR for $99.00 per night from April 20 - 30! YIPPY! I am getting my Disney feet back. I've been feeling bad because this vacation will cost over $6000.00 again. But you do get what you pay for, so that's good. I've already booked two PS. Our TA can get us good airfare, but we need to wait until dh books his holidays before I can book the airfare. Hopefully, he'll know today. Air Canada $385.00 per seat. I'm happy to try Air Canada this time. We've flew with all the other carriers in the past. 10 nights, 11 days, I think the car rental will be about $350.00. Disney tickets are $1100.00, meals $700.00 spending $700.00. We are going to try and keep food costs down this trip. We did a lot of character meals and pricy restaurants last trip. I am looking forward to CSR, but I really think I'll miss CBR!

TRUST ME - that is a VERY good rate for an Air Canada flight - they have a special on right now until Jan 16 (that is why you got quoted such a good deal) Normally return to Fla is about $5 - 600 with Air Canada.

I took advantage of the special and booked our tickets for our honeymoon (April 21) Ill miss you by a day...lol...if not - we would have been on the EXACT same flight - how weird is that???

Did you know that if you book your flight through Air Canada on line you save $20.00 per seat??? Hey - it's not much - but every bit helps...just go to www.aircanada.ca and click on the rate where is says 'shop for rates'

Christine

I was so mad at dh this weekend. We've been planning this April 20, 2002 Disney vacation since last April 20, 2001 Disney vacation. So I call TA on Fri, she gives me the $385.00 per seat Air Canada quote and tells me we can pick our seats. So I find out the aircraft (767) and pick the best seats! I e-mail TA, ask her to hold the seats and she does. BUT THEN DH SAYS "WAIT! I didn't book off the vacation time from work yet!" AAAUUUUUUGGGHHHH! So the hold expired yesterday and I still don't have dh's go to book flights! I know there won't be a problem, but dh really thinks we should wait to book. He doesn't realize that the seats are going FAST! We might not seat together or get on the flight if he doesn't come thru soon! I think we'll know this week. April 20 has two flights, and the second flight is already all booked up! I already booked CSR, don't need to make down payment until Feb 3.

Christine, where are you staying?

I know how you feel...I am planning for a wedding and my fiancee is waiting until the last minute to do EVERYTHING and it's driving me INSANE...lol...

As of now we are staying at the POLY - we had our original ressis at GF, and the GF is our first choice so we still might switch back there ... but it depends which has the better rate, it is our honeymoon and all - but unless they give deeper discounts to GF there is no way we can afford it, so for now it is the POLY...

Christine, here is my wedding present to you. The discounts will get better. I am basing this on last years codes. Last year the codes for were $49.00 for Value and $89.00 - $99.00 for moderate, and you could get great rates on deluxe resorts too. (I copied this info down so I would know it for this year ~ I have a DISNEY FILE) Last years codes started the first day of the regular season in April 2001. If all stays equal, we should be seeing codes for April 21, 2002! I booked $99.00 started April 20th, 2002 for 10 nights at CSR. I'll bet I will get $89.00 code soon. Keep your eyes open. S

WOW!
My fingers are ever so crossed...lol!

Christine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter