I'm new here! What is your best tip for WDW??

tiggerlover73 said:
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I was wondering what everyone's BEST tip is for going to or being at WDW? Where do you watch the parades? Fireworks? Best place to eat? Any fun ideas for the kids? Stuff like that.

I'll be heading down in October and can't wait!! :cool1:

Thanks!

LB

IF YOU LET YOUR CHILDREN KNOW AHEAD OF TIME YOU CAN HAVE THEM DO CHORES AND EARN DISNEY DOOLARS THAT YOU CAN PURCHASE AT ANY DISNEY STORE. THEY AHVE DIFFERENT CHARCTERS ON THEM AND DIFFERENT DEMONIATIONS. ALSO, I SUGGEST YOU KEEP ONE FOR SCRAPBOOK!

DS LOVED EARNING THEM WOULD RECEIVE THEM FOR REPORT CARDS AND MY PARENTS WOULD GIVE FOR BIRTHDAY ALSO THEY MAKE GREAT STOCKING STUFFERS!

KimDis said:
Good tips, all of them.

1st things 1st - Stay on property! It is worth it. You will not stay offsite once you've stayed on. If you're a teacher or nurse, take advantage of the discounts offered by the dolphin & swan hotels. They are good hotels and the location (Epcot resort area) is perfect. You can walk or take a boat to Epcot and MGM and the boardwalk area is great.

Being a nurse like person, how do I get this discount????

2nd - Early mornings. Yes, I know you're on vacation. Yes I know you'll want to sleep late. Resist the urge to get to the parks later in the morning. It is so much easier to get there early, then go back to your hotel and nap, swim or eat at around mid day, once the crowds get heavy. Then YOU get to go back into the parks much later in the afternoon/early evening once these folk are tired and have slowed down. Shorter lines and more rest for your group, believe it or not.

Take breaks: Believe you me I am as dis obsessed as the next dis-er but take the time to smell the roses. Spread out your days as much as possible. Try to take a day off in the middle of your trip if you can. There is so much to do in the "world" in addition to the rides and attractions. One year I took my younger cousin miniature golfing. Another year my mom and I just had a lazy day with a late character brunch at the Beach Club and then park hopped to buy gifts. This year my mom, best friend and her mom did a mini hotel tour of the poly & grand floridian and then had tea at the garden lounge in the floridian. Then we rode the monorail from the floridian to the MK. Since it was a less traveled monorail in the evening we were able to ride with the engineer in the front. I will never forget sharing my best friends 1st time seeing Cinderella castle. It was magical.

I know this borders ad naseum but I have to repeat the fastpass advice. I went during a peak season mid June and due to a good touring plan and fp's we NEVER waited more than 20 minutes on any line. As a matter of fact my only 20 min wait was for Talking with Crush (totally awesome, dudes & dudettes). My trip this year was my best friend's 1st time and she was so spoiled by this. Couldn't understand why anyone would on purpose stand on line for over an hour (sometimes two) when they did NOT have to.

Speaking of touring plans... if you can spare the cash, invest in the unofficial guide to wdw. I like the official guide especially as a souvenir of the year that I visit, but the touring plans (also available on www.touringplans.com at$6.95 for the year) are priceless.

Wishes: View at the tomorrowland bridge or by the rose garden for a view of tink, but if you've got another night to spare in the MK... Viewing the fireworks in fantasy land near snow white or the carousel is a totally different experience. You are in the midst of the fireworks and it is awesome. You are surrounded by light. I would go classic viewing 1st and then do the 2nd if I could.

CROCS: yes I know I ranted about their customer service a few months ago but they are truly superior footwear. I wore the flip flops the entire time I was there and had little or no foot issues. Just order your shoes at least 2 months in advance or see if you can get them at a local store, mall kiosk, etc.

amen to the crocs too!!!

T-i-double-g-err said:
3) Have each child wear a wrist band (self-adhesive paper ones from Party City) that have your name and cell phone number(s).

Stealing this one!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i want to add another:

it seems that dis families come in two distinct types: GO GO GOERS and we're on vacation and we're relaxers.....you will fall in one or the other types....ADRs will be great for the relaxers, sleep inners but a burden for the go go goer's

if you are strapped for time, then you'll get up and go, go, go, 4 days or less for all parks

if you aren't strapped for time, then you will sleep in and spend a lot of time moving from park to other destination or standing in line.....

either is fine, you just need to style your plan according to the type you fall into,

don't miss the unofficial guide for a guidebook...

We have been pre purchasing small souvenirs at the Dollar Store or Wal-Mart. They are small enough to pack, but it will be something the kids can play with, and we don't have to spend so much money in the park. Just an idea! Have fun!! :cool1:

mickeygirl76 said:
We have been pre purchasing small souvenirs at the Dollar Store or Wal-Mart. They are small enough to pack, but it will be something the kids can play with, and we don't have to spend so much money in the park. Just an idea! Have fun!! :cool1:

Thanks for reminding me too! I usually go to the Disney Store and watch the clearance items I have made out so well that way. Bring them in one of those bags that only I know whats in there ! :thumbsup2

Others have said it better, but I'll repeat: Number one tip: Get your @#$@#$ out of bed early, and get yourself over to the parks! No matter if there is an EMH, or not, get there as soon as you can get in and you will be richly rewarded! You'll be able to leave in the early afternoon, as the parks are filling to capacity, having ridden your favorite rides, and you will marvel at all of the people still coming IN!

Tour Guide Mike is a great resource for information to help you build a touring plan. www.tourguidemike.com.

there is already a lot of good advice here, but I have one!

if you are like me and get sunburned very easily, bring your own sunscreen! we just recently went and forgot the sunscreen, and it was expensive so we decided against it .. and my dad got burnt to a crisp! i was lucky!

have fun!!

:cool1: I would have to say that the first time I was there back in 1978 was the best till last August 2006, when I went on my Honeymoon.

Re the special rate:
Call them directly (as a rule I always ask for an in house reservationist) and find out what their lowest rate is then ask if the nurse discount changes that rate any. That way you make sure you're hearing all they have to offer. Do call early, I think they only allot a certain number of rooms the discount.

Also, they seem to have a special through the end of the month. $159/night Might be worth checking out: www.swandolphin.com/rates/index.html

MinnieMousse said:
About how long between getting an FP and your actual ride time usually?

Depending on the ride and crowds it can vary wildly! Usually about 1 hour though.

Best advice I can give is relax and have fun!

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Can you get an FP for another person if you have their ticket with you? My husband will be in conference in the morning, but I thought I might be able to get us both FP's so we could go right on a ride when he gets out.
:banana:

T-i-double-g-err said:
Three more tips:
1) Get to the park early (several have already posted this, but it's worth repeating.) Get to the park early.
2) If you have children and you are not going into a park on your day of arrival, do a character meal at one of the resorts.
3) Have each child wear a wrist band (self-adhesive paper ones from Party City) that have your name and cell phone number(s).

Have a great trip! Here's some pixie dust to help you on your way. pixiedust:

What a great idea about the wrist band. I will be borrowing this info and will use this also for other outings

If I had to choose between Wishes and IllumiNations what should it be? We may have a :hourglass problem...
:sad2:

Take an afternoon break at your hotel so kids can swim/nap/watch cartoons/ do whatever it is that you do to relax. Then they'll get excited about returning to the park later in the evening when the weather is cooler (if applicable) and they won't be so worn down.

MinnieMousse said:
If I had to choose between Wishes and IllumiNations what should it be? We may have a :hourglass problem...
:sad2:

Tough... Illuminations. It just gets me every time.

MinnieMousse said:
Can you get an FP for another person if you have their ticket with you? My husband will be in conference in the morning, but I thought I might be able to get us both FP's so we could go right on a ride when he gets out.
:banana:
Kinda tough, I think he'll need to have entered the park for the day in order for you to get a FP. Maybe if he went in with you, left and then you met him to re-enter it could work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter