I'm in a slight panic- swallowed small chicken bone!!

cstraub

DIS Veteran
I swallowed a small chicken bone tonight at dinner. I knew the minute it went down my throat and I just felt afraid. I checked on the internet for info but am having a hard time finding any.

Has this happened to anyone? I'm kind of freaked it will tear something inside of me. Am I just being silly? :confused3

Like what size chicken bone are we talking here? It'll probably pass just fine - might not be the most comfortable experience you'll have in the bathroom, but you should be ok.

ChrisnSteph said:
Like what size chicken bone are we talking here? It'll probably pass just fine - might not be the most comfortable experience you'll have in the bathroom, but you should be ok.

Pretty small I guess. I barley noticed until it was actually down in my throat. Thankfully it did not get stuck there. I have been able to eat since with no problem. I had a piece of bread because I heard that is what you should do for a dog if they get ahold of chicken bones.

Hope you don't mind a thread about dogs :teeth: but maybe it will help a bit. How big was the bone? Was it whole, or broken?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1091832&referrerid=70088

Chances are it will be at least partially digested by stomach acid and work its way down and out without too much trouble. You could always give your doctor a call, and definitely go the ER if you have any distress. Good luck!

Pea-n-Me said:
Hope you don't mind a thread about dogs :teeth: but maybe it will help a bit. How big was the bone? Was it whole, or broken?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1091832&referrerid=70088

Chances are it will be at least partially digested by stomach acid and work its way down and out without too much trouble. You could always give your doctor a call, and definitely go the ER if you have any distress. Good luck!

I just read that thread!! I was even worried about our dog getting the chicekn bones tonight and instead I got one!! That's where I learned the bread trick from!! Hope it works. Thanks to everyone for posting. I still feel scared. Hope nothing comes of it.

I recently swallowed a chicken bone, and it was a very uncomfortable feeling. I tried to push it down with bread, but I still felt it. My brother happened to call, and told me NEVER to try to push a bone down with food. (He is a nursing home director, and has to know about these kinds of situations.) Anyway, he told me to go to the ER right away. The doctor x-rayed me, and found 2! little bones stuck in my throat. He got them both out with a long instrument, taking less than 5 minutes. The doctor told me that using bread to push the bone down could scratch the throat and lead to infection. My throat did have that sharp, sore feeling for a day or two afterwards.

Be careful!

Aisling said:
I recently swallowed a chicken bone, and it was a very uncomfortable feeling. I tried to push it down with bread, but I still felt it. My brother happened to call, and told me NEVER to try to push a bone down with food. (He is a nursing home director, and has to know about these kinds of situations.) Anyway, he told me to go to the ER right away. The doctor x-rayed me, and found 2! little bones stuck in my throat. He got them both out with a long instrument, taking less than 5 minutes. The doctor told me that using bread to push the bone down could scratch the throat and lead to infection. My throat did have that sharp, sore feeling for a day or two afterwards.

Be careful!

Thanks. I do feel that in my case it was the best thing to do. I wanted it to get to my stomach faster. I once had a sharp fish bone stuck in my throat once. That one I would not have eaten bread to push down. I got lucky and coughed it out. My throat was irratated for a few days after. This bone felt smaller and possibly flexible (I hope). If I have any discomfort I'm going to call my doctor. So far I am fine just still freaked a bit. Make me want to go vegetarian!! :goodvibes

I once had a sharp fish bone stuck in my throat once.
I have such a fear of having a fish bone get caught in my throat, that I will not eat fish. Those bones are so tiny!

I'm glad you got the chicken bone under control.

Aisling said:

I have such a fear of having a fish bone get caught in my throat, that I will not eat fish. Those bones are so tiny!

I'm glad you got the chicken bone under control.

I didn't eat fish for a long time after it happened. I chew every bite now like a thousand times. I don't know how the chicken bone got past.

I don't feel very good right now- probabaly nerves. I'm still a little nervous. I need a good night sleep before I will feel better I think.

cstraub said:
Make me want to go vegetarian!! :goodvibes

then you might swallow a seed. then a vegetable might grow in your stomach. either way, you are screwed. :confused3

C.Darwin said:
then you might swallow a seed. then a vegetable might grow in your stomach. either way, you are screwed. :confused3

Oh great! Thanks for the thought. Is there anything I can eat that is not a plant or animal? :rotfl:

:goodvibes
birdiesunshine said:
Did you call your doctor? How are you feeling?

I never did call. I'm feeling fine now. It's going to be a long time before I eat chicken again though. When I felt that bone slip down my throat it was as though someone had said they put poison in my drink as I was swallowing. I must have turned as pale as a ghost.

Thanks for asking. On a positive note- I did get a tag out of the deal!

cstraub said:
:goodvibes

I never did call. I'm feeling fine now. It's going to be a long time before I eat chicken again though. When I felt that bone slip down my throat it was as though someone had said they put poison in my drink as I was swallowing. I must have turned as pale as a ghost.

Thanks for asking. On a positive note- I did get a tag out of the deal!

The crazy things people do to get tagged :lmao: I'm glad you feel o.k.

Pea-n-Me said:

From now on I will! I bought one of those Tyson whole chicken's for a quick heat and eat dinner tonight because we have piano lessons until 5:30. It's the one thing that is somewhat healthy that all the kids will eat. After a week of mac at Disney they needed something semi nutrious. I should have just made a frozen pizza. Where's the Karma when you need it? :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter