I'm going to end up with $11,450 in Disney Gift Cards. Now what?

What would you do with your Disney Gift Cards

• Save them for a future Disney cruise for 2 years or more from now

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • Save them for a WDW resort trip when things calm down

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • Try an Adventures By Disney trip at some point

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • Drive down to Hilton Head to the Disney Resort one summer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plan a trip to Hawaii and the Disney Resort there

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • Let my wife buy EVERY Aristocat / other Disney cat item that she can find at the Disney stores

Votes: 26 17.4%

• Total voters
I think I would go with Hawaii, I think. But man I would have go with four flights and at least two nights in California to get there. I just wonder though, is Hawaii any more beautiful say than the Caribbean? I mean Castaway Cay and Seven Mile Beach in Cayman are beautiful. Hawaii does have Pearl Harbor and that would be a must for us to visit and pay our respects.
We haven't been to Aulani but we have been to Oahu. It's really hard to compare Hawaii and the Caribbean even though they're both tropical places, but Hawaii is really unique and has it's own culture to it. The lushness of the landscape and the volcanic mountains makes the scenery just amazing.

As soon as ours cancels out, we plan to take the 125% future cruise credit that DCL seems to be offering on cancelled cruises and apply it to a cruise next year that we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. That extra 25% goes a long way. Is this something that is an option for you?
We don't anticipate having the time next summer to cruise; we probably can't cruise again until summer 2022. I'd take the 125% if I could cruise in 2021.

Myself, wife and 15 and 13 year old sons.

OK, four people. ABD (international) won't get you that far. Maybe two people for a short trip, if you're lucky. If you want to spend it all at once, I think the trip to Hawaii, with a Disneyland trip either before or after, is a good plan. You can extend the Disneyland portion of the trip with trips to other sights within Southern California.

Of course, you could always just do the ABD Southern California trip ($2489/pp) but make sure to separate the adults and children (put one adult and one child in a room) unless there is a significant savings to booking them all in one room.

Parties of 3:
  • At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa: 1 room with 2 queen beds
Parties of 4 booked as a quad:
  • At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa: 1 room with 2 queen beds
Parties of 4 booked as 2 doubles (2 reservations):
  • At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa: 2 rooms, each having either 2 queen beds or 1 king bed
NOTE: Connecting rooms may be requested but are not guaranteed.

We have friends that take every single vacation with ABD, and they have the best things to say. However I think their prices are wildly overpriced for the value. When you’re looking at $16k for a family of 4 to go to DC and Philly for 6 nights or $32k for same family to do 10 nights in Australia I think you could do a lot better by putting your own package together. I compared their Australia hotels and activities to the ones we did on our own and our hotels were a better class and our activities were nicer for a third of the cost. The DC trip has you at the Mayflower, which is a Marriott that you can normally get for $300/night for example.
I thought about changing my August European cruise to ABD until I looked at the prices. My 15 year old was like wouldn’t we be better off exploring on our own. I’ve never done a big land trip, but it’s something Im going to start planing just in case our cruise falls through. I’ve have a lot of Hyatt and Hilton points I can use for it.

If anybody has any advice on touring Berlin, Munich, Prague and Vienna by train I’m all ears.

If anybody has any advice on touring Berlin, Munich, Prague and Vienna by train I’m all ears.
I went to Munich on a 96 hour liberty back in 2017; public transportation is easy to use for all of the main sights (the German Science Museum there is world class), and you can either rent a car for a day or take a train/bus down to see Neuschwanstein Castle (about 2 hours away).

BJs runs them usually between 4-8% off. Lots of various sources; there are a few threads that discuss different strategies.

I have read about elaborate strategies combining different promos that can result in up to 20% (or maybe even more) discount. Obviously, many of these strategies require some time and effort, which may not be "worthwhile" for some.

LAX

I went to Munich on a 96 hour liberty back in 2017; public transportation is easy to use for all of the main sights (the German Science Museum there is world class), and you can either rent a car for a day or take a train/bus down to see Neuschwanstein Castle (about 2 hours away).
Hit up Rick Steves YouTube channel for ideas.
Good ideas. It might be a good year to visit some of the central and eastern European landlocked countries you can't see on a cruise. My son loves history and geography I think he'd enjoy it. 10 days in hotel rooms with a teenager could test my sanity. It's definitely a good back up plan if cruising isn't an option.

I thought about changing my August European cruise to ABD until I looked at the prices. My 15 year old was like wouldn’t we be better off exploring on our own. I’ve never done a big land trip, but it’s something Im going to start planing just in case our cruise falls through. I’ve have a lot of Hyatt and Hilton points I can use for it.

Vienna is one of my favorite European cities And Munich isnt far behind. The train system is super easy to use. Berlin has a lot of history, but it’s also similar to so many big industrial cities. Unless you’re dying to see it I’d add on Budapest or Salzburg instead.

I have $7k in Disney gift cards that I purchased from BJ’s for our September cruise, most likely we will be canceling.

At least they don’t expire, and I can use them at WDW.

Good ideas. It might be a good year to visit some of the central and eastern European landlocked countries you can't see on a cruise. My son loves history and geography I think he'd enjoy it. 10 days in hotel rooms with a teenager could test my sanity. It's definitely a good back up plan if cruising isn't an option.

Hit up Switzerland if you are looking for ideas as well.

BJs runs them usually between 4-8% off. Lots of various sources; there are a few threads that discuss different strategies.
I had to Google BJ's. I guess it's like a Sam's or Costco? We don't have them here but maybe I could still order online. Hmm. Good to know. Thanks!

Why don't you just get your cash back? I'm scheduled for a cruise 4/12, I've been able to get it all back in cash. Getting refunds in credits is really stupid.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter