I'm going to end up with $11,450 in Disney Gift Cards. Now what?

What would you do with your Disney Gift Cards

• Save them for a future Disney cruise for 2 years or more from now

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • Save them for a WDW resort trip when things calm down

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • Try an Adventures By Disney trip at some point

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • Drive down to Hilton Head to the Disney Resort one summer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plan a trip to Hawaii and the Disney Resort there

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • Let my wife buy EVERY Aristocat / other Disney cat item that she can find at the Disney stores

Votes: 26 17.4%

• Total voters
I didn't vote, but we've done all the rounds of Disney properties, including Disney Hilton Head last year for spring break - and we loved it! It was an extended family trip with 3 generations, and everyone really liked the feel of the property, etc. The villas were nicely set up, and all of the hammocks, little outdoor games set around the resort, pool area, etc. were all perfect for our group. It's on the water but not the ocean beach, as someone mentioned, but is a quick drive or free shuttle; we did both on various days. The beach house was really nice too - well appointed, with a pool, ping pong, etc., much nicer than I had been envisioning in advance.

But you aren't going to spend that amount there. There isn't a table service restaurant - just one quick service at the main resort and one quick service at the beach house, and I wouldn't recommend them for 3 meals a day, all week (although we did like it - but it's not an extensive menu). They have a few up-charge activities/excursions. We spent maybe $100 total on a bunch of upcharge crafts for my family (champagne painting thing, Mickey burlap wreaths, etc.). The only paid excursion we kept trying to do was repeatedly canceled due to the tide (kayaking), but it was priced a bit less than a cruise excursion. We did rent bikes and spent a small amount in the gift shop. But that's pretty much it.

Long story short, if you were going to split the money into multiple trips, I'd keep it as an option. We'd go back there in a heartbeat, except it's kind of hard to get to if you can't drive. None of us are on the east coast. It's a lot more low-key than Aulani.
What did you do for food all week, then?

I've never understood why people pay with gift cards. Imagine if you were laid off from your job and it needed that 11k for bills. You're lucky you only have to worry about what vacation you can use it for.
We usually pay with gift cards. If our package costs $3,000 and we purchase gift cards through target we save $150.

WIth that said, I am not sure I'd put 11K on gift cards.

OP, we're sort of in your shoes; about $6k on gift cards. That said, I have transferred to a Christmas cruise for now. IF (big if) that were to be cancelled, we'd take the total amount of the cruise (we will have paid about another $9k by PIF date), and tack it on to our double dip cruise for summer of 2021. There is a 9 night running right behind the double dip and we would be on it in a New York minute; the thought of 14 days on a cruise is fabulous to us!

My second (and least favorite) choice would be our Christmas 2021 vacation at WDW. This has been in the works for about five or six years (we were waiting on the Santa situation to work itself out with our youngest) and we're going big - Contemporary club level, and lots of extras here and there. We shall see!

Good luck making your decision!

What did you do for food all week, then?
It's not like Disney World where it's sort of far away from much. You pretty much have to have a car to get to Hilton Head, and then the resort itself is just off the main road. It sits on this narrow inlet, but you can walk around to the other side in a few minutes and get to a bunch of restaurants (seafood, Mexican, French bakery, ice cream shop, etc.). We ate over there a couple of times. We also drove to other nearby restaurants for dinner other nights and the grocery store for breakfast and lunch stuff. Lots of people bike around too. On property, we had quite a few Dole Whips, 1 breakfast, and a couple of lunches at the beach house. We mostly used quick-service for snacking/meals when we were hanging out by the pool/beach. I think the resort's proximity to so many restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc. is part of the reason it has a close following of people who need a break from the uber-planning needed for everything else Disney!

It's not like Disney World where it's sort of far away from much. You pretty much have to have a car to get to Hilton Head, and then the resort itself is just off the main road. It sits on this narrow inlet, but you can walk around to the other side in a few minutes and get to a bunch of restaurants (seafood, Mexican, French bakery, ice cream shop, etc.). We ate over there a couple of times. We also drove to other nearby restaurants for dinner other nights and the grocery store for breakfast and lunch stuff. Lots of people bike around too. On property, we had quite a few Dole Whips, 1 breakfast, and a couple of lunches at the beach house. We mostly used quick-service for snacking/meals when we were hanging out by the pool/beach. I think the resort's proximity to so many restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc. is part of the reason it has a close following of people who need a break from the uber-planning needed for everything else Disney!
We love trying out all the different restaurants in Hilton Head! And biking everywhere! :)

The trouble with Aulani is you can't buy airfare with gift cards.... can you?
Yes you can. You can book your airfare with Disney. Here is an vacation sample I did on Disney.com. Notice there is an option to add flights. Click on the blue "add flight" it will take you to the Disney page where you can book a flight.

Vacation Offer
November 1 – November 3, 2020
2 Adults

EditRoom Selected

Remove All - Opens Dialog
View Important Details
Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Tower - Standard View
EditRoom Selected
Remove Resort - Opens Dialog
Theme Park Tickets
3-Day Ticket with Admission to 1 Park Per Day
Valid any 3 days from Sun, Nov 1, 2020 through Thu, Nov 5, 2020.
EditTheme Park Tickets
Remove Theme Park Tickets - Opens Dialog
Dining Plan
Save on dining at over 100 Walt Disney World restaurants—including ones featuring Character Dining and Dinner Shows—when you add the Disney Dining Plan.
Add Dining
Memory Maker
Make your vacation unforgettable when you get in the picture with Memory Maker and enjoy unlimited downloads of PhotoPass, Character Dining and attraction photos.
Add Memory Maker
Flight
A flight has not been selected.
Add Flight
Ground Transportation
Enjoy complimentary motorcoach transportation between Orlando International Airport and your hotel with Disney's Magical Express service. Or, add a car rental from Alamo®.
Add Ground

Last edited:

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter