I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

suz72 said:
As far as copyright infringement...wouldn't that have to do more with selling the merchandise??

This is correct. As long as you aren't selling anything with Mickey's image or using Mickey to promote your business (the day care center who had Mickey painted on the outside of their building and were asked by Disney to remove it, for example) you'll be fine. I make a different kind of shirt with a 3-circle Mickey. We've worn them to the parks many, many times and have had no problem.

Ok here's our shirts we wore last week. It isn't a great picture, it was hard to find one where we didn't have our son in front of us. His turned out ok but kind of faded into each others. Dh's and mine turned out good.

shirts.jpg

anyone knows how many posts we have to make before we can post your pics ( links, URL etc)? thank you!

PiperPizzaz said:
Ok here's our shirts we wore last week. It isn't a great picture, it was hard to find one where we didn't have our son in front of us. His turned out ok but kind of faded into each others. Dh's and mine turned out good.
haha :cool1: :thumbsup2 :love: :Pinkbounc :banana: :teeth: :teeth: :cheer2: :badpc: popcorn:: :yay: :dance3: :wave2: :bride: :joker: :bounce: :dance3:

Here is a pic of my shirt. It came out a bit different but I really like it.

mickeyshirt.jpg

How do you make the mickey head come out so sharp?? Any tips? Thanks!

DisneyPhD said:
Here is a pic of my shirt. It came out a bit different but I really like it.

mickeyshirt.jpg
That looks AMAZING!!! I love the colors and design! Any tips or tricks you could share to make it turn out so well?

OK. We had a tie-dye party with several families over the weekend. This was my first attemp to make the Mickey shirts. For some reason, every shirt that I made with the Mickey as blue really bled, but the other colors did better. We didn't use enough die on some and too many colors on others, but all in all it was a pretty good attemp. We're going to make another batch and try to correct some of our mistakes. We tried both the spiral Mickey shirts that have the pictures only on the front and the circle Mickey shirts that have pictures on the front and the back. Although I really liked having the picture on the front and the back, I think our spiral shirts turned out better. Here are pictures of our creations. Thanks to everyone with the suggestions and more are always appreciated!
100_7326.JPG
100_7327.JPG
100_7329.JPG
100_7330.JPG
100_7331.JPG
100_7332.JPG
100_7333.JPG
100_7334.JPG

I want to know too what the trick is for getting the Mickey so sharp. I tried a test shirt and the ears kind of flow together and flow into the head part of the Mickey. I used heavy duty thread and tried to pull the basting stiches as tight as I could. Maybe I used too much dye on the Mickey part.

Tips, tricks, advice, direction on making sharp Mickeys is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

wdwcindy

Hi All!
Here's our shirts from our trip this month.

I'm not worried about wearing these at the parks- we get lots of attention ( as we always do when we wear these at the parks ) and we heard over and over from the CM's-

"Hey, if you'd seperate your colors you wouldn't have that mess to contend with!"

and " Who does the laundry in your house-?- DH points to me and the Cm's smile and say things like, "I thought that HE did it!" pointing at DH! :rotfl2:

This last trip I heard a few people say, "Hey, there's a hidden Mickey!"
Well, not quite hidden but they didn't expect to see them on our shirts. :artist:
We had fun making them together. :grouphug:

DiznEeyore said:
That looks AMAZING!!! I love the colors and design! Any tips or tricks you could share to make it turn out so well?

Ah, thanks. :goodvibes

Here is my one and only real tip. An easy Mickey pattern is one of those Mickey mouse plates that you can get for the kids meals at many of the CS places at WDW. (with the main dish in the big circle, and treats in the ears.) We took a bunch home from our last trip, DD loved them. We just traced them on the shirt. It was just the right size (a bit big for the kids shirts, but it worked.)

We also took one of the Mickey bases from a McDonalds toys that came out last year and traced it on the shoulders so there is little hidden Mickey's on them. Pretty cute.

My shirt was a jjill one and it has embroidery in the inside instead of a tag. It stayed white and I love how it looks, Use a shirt you like how it fits because you are going to love wearing this later. :love:

I love everybody's shirts. We are doing this again next year. It really was Much easier then it appeared at 1st.

DisneyPhD said:
Ah, thanks. :goodvibes

Here is my one and only real tip. An easy Mickey pattern is one of those Mickey mouse plates that you can get for the kids meals at many of the CS places at WDW. (with the main dish in the big circle, and treats in the ears.) We took a bunch home from our last trip, DD loved them. We just traced them on the shirt. It was just the right size (a bit big for the kids shirts, but it worked.)

We also took one of the Mickey bases from a McDonalds toys that came out last year and traced it on the shoulders so there is little hidden Mickey's on them. Pretty cute.

My shirt was a jjill one and it has embroidery in the inside instead of a tag. It stayed white and I love how it looks, Use a shirt you like how it fits because you are going to love wearing this later. :love:

I love everybody's shirts. We are doing this again next year. It really was Much easier then it appeared at 1st.

Thanks for the details! I'll definitely have to grab a couple of those plates on our trip next month -- dh and ds have agreed to help me make and wear these on our trip next year. :teeth:

DisneyPhD, I was about to post the same tip. I'm going to a tie dye party today and used the kids' meal containers for our Mickey shape. I only have 2 of our 5 shirts stitched and banded (plus I have one other shirt and 2 dresses that aren't getting Mickey's) and I'm supposed to be there in 15 min. But its a 2 day thing....so I can go tomorrow again if I need to.

I think the thing with dyeing is to be sure you're not blending colors that don't blend well....and using squirt bottles to apply the dye gives you a lot more control. If you don't saturate your item with dye in the area where its banded there will be more definition. You can blend colors anywhere, not just at the banding, but make sure you use colors that are next to one another on the color wheel or aren't farther apart than one color (or in roygbiv). Its as simple as preschool color mixing play, though hopefully you won't use quite as much trial and error as a 3yo so you'll end up with a lot less muddy brown. Basically keep your red, orange and purple away from your green....make sure you have a transition area of blue or yellow (you'll get turquoise or orange in the transition area, respectively). Of course if you band and squirt very carefully you can leave a white area between those colors and they'll turn out fine...you can have purple, red or orange next to green. Its risky though and I don't recommend trying it your first time. I won't be.

Now off to load tables, supplies and 4 kids into the van...

ok, so I went to a tie dye party yesterday and I made 4 shirts...one for me and my dh and one each for my 2 year old son and my 5 year old daughter. I sewed the Mickey head on the front only of the shirts and then did the tie die spiral. I dyed the Mickey head black and did blue and purple on the other parts for all of the shirts. I got a bit overzealous with the black dye and used too much of it on all but 1 of the shirts and so the black ran a bit and the Mickey head isn't very clear.

My shirt :scared: seems to have been the worst one...the head is even crooked! oops! My son's shirt turned out the best I think. I used Procion fiber reactive dyes for this. I am going to redo my shirt and possibly my husband's shirt to get the heads to look a little better. (are these pics huge? sorry!!)

Daughter's shirt :sad2:
993500729_0983632c8c.jpg

Son's shirt (turned out the best I think)
993500703_b519b9c969.jpg

Husband's shirt
993500757_2c654c38b3.jpg

My shirt :scared:
993500785_b8ae08045e.jpg

All of us wearing them December 2006
993500861_689bc7f149.jpg

applechips...i love the colors! i did some shirts this weekend too! i wanted shirts that had a halloween color scheme..since we will be going to mnnshp...i think your colors are great! I did just a plain orange...and im not too impressed with the way they turned out! :confused3 i apparently did NOT use enough dye...it was the first time we have tie dyed... and i guess i was afraid that i'd use too much! well.....i did not use enough...and half of our shirts are still white!!! the mickey heads did come out very distinct though...you can definitely tell that is what it's supposed to be.
any tips on the dyeing process? do i have to squirt the bottle directly into the folds? our shirts were dripping with dye when we were done...but still didn't color much of it :confused3 .
and how did you get the spiral so good? i don't think i'm folding my shirt right for the spiral design? i tried to follow the directions on the other thread, but it still doesn't look right!

Well i know that the fiber reactive dyes are much more vivid than any other dyes I've seen. You do have to get the nose of the bottle directly into the folds and root around to make sure there is no white left...if that is what you want. I used ALOT of dye, at least 8oz of each color for two shirts. One tip is not to overdye the Mickey part, that is where I went wrong.

And the spiral...it takes practice, that is probably the 10th time I had folded the spiral. You can look at the directions here:
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/spiralfold.shtml

good luck!

(cross posting on both threads) My first time doing this dying. I'm an artist but my mediums are oils and pastels, not fabric dye. :bitelip: So I was nervous. My tip would be that instructions say to use a lot of dye. "If it's not dripping dye, you're not using enough" is what I read. Do that, but be careful around the Mickey head and don't saturate it as much and try to keep the other dies further away from the head if you can. It's tough though. These still look okay I think. :thumbsup2 We'll wear them. If I had time and $ to do a few more, I would. I'm such a perfectionist, I'm not totally happy.
dad.jpg

moms.jpg

nick.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter