Illuminations Dining Package at Rose and Crown

I have it 2/16 FYI. I'll try to post pix. Any requests?

Yep I booked mainly to have somewhere to sit while waiting for it to start. To sit or stand during it? That's not an issue.

Thx for the posts people :)

Thank you Trish!

However, for once it looks like we will beat you to it! LOL! we have 2/15 booked!

I'm booked for 2/19. Nice that I'll have a few reports to view to help me decide whether to keep our reservation :-)

I am surprised by the number of people looking to cancel this.
I'm not. It is a testament to the power of one semi-anonymous comment on the Internet. I had this discussion with some family members a few weeks ago - they questioned the whole concept of "influencers" (YouTube and Instagram creators who get treated like royalty because through their followers they influence a lot of purchasing behavior). That influence is real and substantial, even though many other people ignore it. It has enough impact to skew things enough to make a difference.

I am thrilled to pay the small premium to know that we will be seated in this area.
This is really the biggest news about this offer that has gotten lost in the hubbub. This is a uniquely small premium over the regular pricing, as compared to many other hard-ticket experiences offered.

Yep I booked mainly to have somewhere to sit while waiting for it to start. To sit or stand during it? That's not an issue.

We are going in March. It would be great to see more pics of the view.
It will just be me and DH for dinner so I hope it will be a fun way to see illuminations.

Hope you have a great time!:drinking1

9BFE9DAD-6E48-4F80-8BCD-2F791C556A55.jpeg

I don’t know if I posted this already, but we were seated behind the hedge on the first night. I had my phone propped on the railing when I took this picture. I’m really short but the only thing I had to sit up for was to see the floating lights in the water. No problem at all seeing the globe, lasers or fireworks. I’ve been seated on both the lower and upper patios and I prefer the lower, even if behind the hedge. I feel like I have to scrunch down to see all the fireworks on the upper patio.

And in response to the comments about the timing of the courses from that article that was posted, I found the timing to be perfect. He said in the article they ate their appetizers slowly as they were taking pictures. I was done with my entree maybe about 15 minutes prior to the show. The desserts came soon almost immediately following the show.

I suppose it’s all a preference thing, but I wouldn’t hesitate to book the package again.

View attachment 380063

I don’t know if I posted this already, but we were seated behind the hedge on the first night. I had my phone propped on the railing when I took this picture. I’m really short but the only thing I had to sit up for was to see the floating lights in the water. No problem at all seeing the globe, lasers or fireworks. I’ve been seated on both the lower and upper patios and I prefer the lower, even if behind the hedge. I feel like I have to scrunch down to see all the fireworks on the upper patio.

And in response to the comments about the timing of the courses from that article that was posted, I found the timing to be perfect. He said in the article they ate their appetizers slowly as they were taking pictures. I was done with my entree maybe about 15 minutes prior to the show. The desserts came soon almost immediately following the show.

I suppose it’s all a preference thing, but I wouldn’t hesitate to book the package again.

My concern is the two 9 year olds we will have with us. They wont mind standing but they will want to walk to the hedges...do you think it would be a problem if they stood there? At roughly 52", do you think they can even see over the hedge if standing there? I don't mind standing to watch the show. In all honesty, I prefer to stand.

I'm not. It is a testament to the power of one semi-anonymous comment on the Internet. I had this discussion with some family members a few weeks ago - they questioned the whole concept of "influencers" (YouTube and Instagram creators who get treated like royalty because through their followers they influence a lot of purchasing behavior). That influence is real and substantial, even though many other people ignore it. It has enough impact to skew things enough to make a difference.

This is really the biggest news about this offer that has gotten lost in the hubbub. This is a uniquely small premium over the regular pricing, as compared to many other hard-ticket experiences offered.

I find value in the package no matter what anyone else says. I appreciate some reviews, but not all. I trust EasyWDW, but I don't let his reviews dictate my decisions.

I've seen people on these boards cancel ADRs they really wanted because other posters had negative things to say. I've seen people panic on Facebook over Touring Plans crowd predictions. Panic so much that they change their entire trip!

I think some are easily influenced, period. It doesn't have to be a blogger or YouTube channel.

I decided to cancel this package because majority rules in my family and the other people in my group don't want to do it.

I’m looking forward to your review and others. I currently have a reservation for July 4th. My Dad is 73 and will have just finished his radiation treatments three prior to our trip. He fell in love with Disney when we took him the week of Thanksgiving and wanted to experience Disney one more time.

We booked this because he loves fireworks and I wanted to give him a prime location that he could sit. We watched the Holiday illuminations from the fast pass location and it was amazing. I’m sure July 4th will be crazy crowded so we will have to either keep this reservation or try for a fast pass. I might even consider the frozen dessert party since it has seating. Just not sure yet. :confused3

I’m not easily influenced by others, but I’ve followed Josh for years and over time found my opinions tend to generally align with his. I’ve seen the pictures of the view and I simply don’t like it. View is everything to me and there are much better views to be had through the dessert buffet or simply a FP, IMO. I’m sure others love it and that’s great. It’s just not for me. I’ve never sat in this area before and for all the hoopla over it, I thought the view must be stellar, and to me it’s not. It’s early, things may change, but if I wait then I could lose out on the dessert buffet that I know has a great view. I can’t have them booked at the same time, so a choice had to be made.

Please ask about vegetarian options? If you could, that would be great for those of us with later dates that are desperately awaiting more/better reviews.

My concern is the two 9 year olds we will have with us. They wont mind standing but they will want to walk to the hedges...do you think it would be a problem if they stood there? At roughly 52", do you think they can even see over the hedge if standing there? I don't mind standing to watch the show. In all honesty, I prefer to stand.

You can't walk to the hedge. It is on top of that wall like structure in the water, IIRC. You are up against a railing that is as close as you can get to it. Shorter children could stand at the rail in the lower patio, or even kneel up on their chair for extra height, perhaps?

It has been a couple of years now since I sat in the middle table on the lower deck, but I remember thinking how perfect the view was. perhaps the hedge was smaller then? I encouraged some children to come closer to our table so that they could see as well as I could (they were standing behind us, perhaps having eaten inside?), so I expect that your children will have a fine view. I don't remember how tall they looked, but they stood while they watched.

In any event, I will try to take pictures and write a review when we get back. My problem is that I am not very good with either picture taking or being able to link such things on my computer (*sigh*). But I'll try. I will also take notes on what I see happening around me.

I will definitely ask about vegetarian/vegan options. I was vegan in the past and agree that it can be a healthy lifestyle. (I wish that WDW tried to offer people more choice for healthy eating. It is better than it used to be, but it seems like there is still a lot of room for improvement. More vegetarian/vegan options would be a great start.)

BTW: I LOVED the dessert party when it was nice enough to eat outside and stay at our table for Illuminations. We had a great table, but there were people seated at tables behind us that would have been fine, just not perfect like ours. As another PP said, all the tables have a good view. Most have a direct view with no one else in their line of sight. A few people are seated at tables that will 'see' others between them and the fireworks, but even then the people in front are staggered so that they do not really impede the view of the show, as far as I could tell. It just would feel a little less like the show is a private viewing just for you, if that makes sense. It kinda feels to me like the difference in watching Soarin' from the first row as opposed to row 2 or 3. The feet above don't really interfere with the view but they do detract a little from the really immersive feeling that you are truly soaring through the sky. You are more aware of the other people that are there.
MY main reason for booking the Rose and Crown over the dessert party is that we would want to eat dinner anyway but we don't really enjoy eating multiple sweets. So we are essentially paying for a table with a view of Illuminations. Then, unfortunately, I eat sweets because I am there, waiting, and it is part of what I paid for.
UGH! This is just a really bad idea for me as I cannot eat sugar without negatively impacting my health (even though I like the taste while doing so).

Which experience is 'better' for any particular family will be very subjective, I think. I am trying to explain my experiences to help others make a judgement call on what would work best for them. It is really difficult for you to know in advance which you will like better. And to a large degree the experience will be impacted by factors that you cannot control such. as weather, where your table is assigned, the attitudes and actions of others surrounding you, etc.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
We have a regular R&C ADR for 2/22 at 7:55. We'll ask for a table outside, but if need be, will just move to watch the show. With a 10 & 13 year old. there's now way we can come close to the per person price (DD is going to want the kids mac & cheese and DS will eat the burger), and DH & I don't drink... so spending the $$ on the HEA dessert party and hoping for the best at R&C.

I have this booked for 2/13 and I'm not cancelling. I like the menu, the unlimited beers, and a place to sit and relax! I generally find that my opinions match up with EasyWDW... but the hedge doesn't bother me. I think if it was my first time to watch Illuminations I might think differently, but alas, it is not. In short, I'm super excited about this experience!

I’m confused on the recent reports of being sat on the upper patio with the lower patio left empty but initial reviews said they were sat on the lower patio. Have they moved the seating to the upper patio from now on?

I’m confused on the recent reports of being sat on the upper patio with the lower patio left empty but initial reviews said they were sat on the lower patio. Have they moved the seating to the upper patio from now on?

I think it was due to the temperature outside. Since it is warmer now (it was in the low 50s I think when we were on the upper patio), I would be interested to see if they move back to the lower. If they keep to the upper, make sure you do not get seated where we were - with the gazebo/roof right in front of us. We had no choice but to move to the lower if we wanted to see anything. We even had a manager type CM approach our table recognizing the view sucked and to move to the lower. She mentioned that it would be reserved only for the dining package people.

On Thursday (01/31/19) the manager came to each table and explained that the "experience was modified due to the weather". It was chilly so they had us on the upper patio and provided us with blankets. With the patio wall "closed" we did not need the blankets.

I think it was due to the temperature outside. Since it is warmer now (it was in the low 50s I think when we were on the upper patio), I would be interested to see if they move back to the lower. If they keep to the upper, make sure you do not get seated where we were - with the gazebo/roof right in front of us. We had no choice but to move to the lower if we wanted to see anything. We even had a manager type CM approach our table recognizing the view sucked and to move to the lower. She mentioned that it would be reserved only for the dining package people.

Thank you for the information.

On Thursday (01/31/19) the manager came to each table and explained that the "experience was modified due to the weather". It was chilly so they had us on the upper patio and provided us with blankets. With the patio wall "closed" we did not need the blankets.

That makes sense thanks. I’m not going till May so I assume it will be on the lower patio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter