Illuminations Dining Package at Rose and Crown

We are here tonight and are, I believe (I am not a Rose & Crown expert) on the upper patio. Blankets were on the seats and were told they would pull up the plastic blinds before the show. Maybe because it’s in the low 50s? Not sure.

We are here tonight and are, I believe (I am not a Rose & Crown expert) on the upper patio. Blankets were on the seats and were told they would pull up the plastic blinds before the show. Maybe because it’s in the low 50s? Not sure.
I’m here too!

Hmmm Josh's review has me second guessing my choice for this illuminations pkg.:(

With the hedge right in the way of your view is something that would not be worth it.
We have sat on the upper patio and it was spectacular. Now seeing this obstructed view i might cancel this.

I am a bit disappointed the way this was advertised. Darn that hedge!!! I was so looking forward to this. But there are so many great spots to see the show that won't cost us $170.

If we could be guarantee the upper patio i might reconsider.

Liz:rose:

I'm going to keep my res for now (even after reading Josh's review). I like the food selection & the alcohol options. Food & drink wise, I'll get my money's worth (because i'll be aiming to have 3 drinks! :love: Am i thrilled about that stupid hedge? No. But am I thrilled about being able to sit and relax during Illuminations (and not have to worry about finding a spot or dealing with crowds like i usually do)? Absolutely. I'm going 2/13. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that they put us on the upper patio! haha!

I would love to blame it all on Disney, but really, none of it would happen if so many people weren't willing to pay those prices.
There's really no blame to be had. People want something and they're willing to pay for it, then that's that. If that doesn't work then the whole idea of WDW falls apart, since there are many people who cannot afford to visit WDW even once in their lives. Premium experiences go way back at Disney, regardless. One of my fondest memories of Illuminations was our Illuminations cruise celebrating the girl's fifth birthday in 1998.

There's really no blame to be had. People want something and they're willing to pay for it, then that's that. If that doesn't work then the whole idea of WDW falls apart, since there are many people who cannot afford to visit WDW even once in their lives. Premium experiences go way back at Disney, regardless. One of my fondest memories of Illuminations was our Illuminations cruise celebrating the girl's fifth birthday in 1998.

I agree. I like that they offer premium experiences. No one is forced to buy them. But there’s a definite demand for them. For me, I’m willing to pay extra to cut my time waiting in lines, avoiding crowds and better options for shows, fireworks etc. There are some I have no interest in, but it doesn’t bother me that they’re offered.

And we can expect to see a lot more of that kind of thing and not just at Disney. Airlines are already doing this big time, with "Basic Economy", "Economy" and "Premium Economy" tickets now even on domestic flights, not to mention extra charges for checking baggage - and even for some tickets, having a carry-on. A lot of cruise ships now have premium dining rooms, and "ship within a ship" reservations that give you premium access. This is the future for just about everything.

Hmmm Josh's review has me second guessing my choice for this illuminations pkg.:(

With the hedge right in the way of your view is something that would not be worth it.
We have sat on the upper patio and it was spectacular. Now seeing this obstructed view i might cancel this.

I am a bit disappointed the way this was advertised. Darn that hedge!!! I was so looking forward to this. But there are so many great spots to see the show that won't cost us $170.

If we could be guarantee the upper patio i might reconsider.

Liz:rose:

I'm keeping my reservation for now, but after reading Josh's review, I'm likely going to cancel. With two teens who are paying the adult price, it's not worth it if the view is obstructed.

I'm keeping my reservation for now, but after reading Josh's review, I'm likely going to cancel. With two teens who are paying the adult price, it's not worth it if the view is obstructed.
Before making a final decision, why not read some of his reviews about places you enjoy? It's always possible you have entirely different opinions about locations and attractions, so you may enjoy the package, even though he didn't.

They should move this to the upper patio for the unobstructed view. I cannot figure out why they'd advertise this as an Illuminations view when you're literally sitting behind a row of hedges!?!?!

I have this booked for about a week from now and am on the fence about cancelling. Thought it would be nice to sit and relax for Illuminations but the odd pacing of the meal (would much prefer it move faster with desserts served before Illuminations), and the obstructed view, sound bad to me (regardless of price).

Before making a final decision, why not read some of his reviews about places you enjoy? It's always possible you have entirely different opinions about locations and attractions, so you may enjoy the package, even though he didn't.

I read most of his reviews and find them to be pretty spot on with my tastes, which is part of the reason I'm considering cancelling. I'm also traveling with two teens, who are considered adults but of course can't drink the alcoholic offerings. One of them has never been to WDW before, so if the view of Illuminations isn't worth it, I'd rather splurge on a fireworks cruise or something like that.

Used to be premium experiences that you could have for free, or at least no extra charge.....watching Illuminations from Rose and Crown being one, watching Wishes or current show from the train station is another. The profit mongers at Disney have seen this and realized, "Hey, we can charge a ton of money for these experiences and people will pay for them!" That's why we have all these high dollar dessert party's and such. I would love to blame it all on Disney, but really, none of it would happen if so many people weren't willing to pay those prices.

When it's comes to this particular experience I wish they would have charged for it long ago.

I'm sure there are many people like me that only want to eat at R & C if they can have a patio seat for the fireworks. Now we can guarantee a seat on the patio instead of luck of the draw. Although we have always been able to talk our way onto the patio, had we been denied we would be left feeling like we should have got an ADR at another place. So in this particular case I do feel like those willing to pay should get those coveted patio seats.

They should move this to the upper patio for the unobstructed view. I cannot figure out why they'd advertise this as an Illuminations view when you're literally sitting behind a row of hedges!?!?!

I have this booked for about a week from now and am on the fence about cancelling. Thought it would be nice to sit and relax for Illuminations but the odd pacing of the meal (would much prefer it move faster with desserts served before Illuminations), and the obstructed view, sound bad to me (regardless of price).
Wondering if you went and what you thought?

Well that review was a bit discouraging. I don't mind paying the money for the package but I was doing it mainly for the view during Illuminations. I assumed being along the lagoon and hearing how prized those seats were to Rose and Crown diners it would be quite an impressive view. I'll wait a bit longer to hear some other reviews but I may end up using a FP for Illuminations and spending that money on dinner at the FF.

Last edited:
I did the event last Friday. It was cold so the only seats used were the upper patio. The sides of the awning were down, the heaters were on and they had blankets for everyone. When Illuminations started, the sides were rolled up; when it concluded, they were rolled down and we had dessert. I would not have wanted to pay $85 per person and not have a seat on the upper patio where you are above the hedges. This trip was with friends, so I only had to pay for myself. I thought I’d try it out before our family trip in June which I also had booked. I have since canceled that ADR. My son only wanted the steak and it’s gone. My husband and I aren’t big drinkers so that does take away some of the value and with the possibility of not getting a seat on the upper patio in the summer, I did not feel $340 was worth it for us, especially when there are plenty of other spots to watch the show.

I cancelled my reservations for this. I’ve seen pics of the view and honestly, if what I see is what the view has always been, I can’t imagine why R&C was ever so popular to see Illuminations. Plus, I didn’t want to wait and miss out on Frozen Dessert Buffet. I’m hoping it’s better than our last try.

Last trip we ate at R&C and were seated on the lower patio, alll the way in the corner at the bigger table (the corner closer to France). From that corner, the hedge didn’t block us at all. And we had plenty of room, as there aren’t any other tables immediately near it. Dessert was served just before Illuminations started.

Sounds like this new experience will most likely be a downgrade from that night (limited menu and seating most likely not as good).

Waiting to hear reports for non-package R&C diners. Upper patio still available? Private standing viewing area still available for side patio or indoor diners?

I did the event last Friday. It was cold so the only seats used were the upper patio. The sides of the awning were down, the heaters were on and they had blankets for everyone. When Illuminations started, the sides were rolled up; when it concluded, they were rolled down and we had dessert. I would not have wanted to pay $85 per person and not have a seat on the upper patio where you are above the hedges. This trip was with friends, so I only had to pay for myself. I thought I’d try it out before our family trip in June which I also had booked. I have since canceled that ADR. My son only wanted the steak and it’s gone. My husband and I aren’t big drinkers so that does take away some of the value and with the possibility of not getting a seat on the upper patio in the summer, I did not feel $340 was worth it for us, especially when there are plenty of other spots to watch the show.
I’m feeling the same way, such a bummer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter