Illuminations Dining Package at Rose and Crown

Per the link above, seating starts at 8 and the event ends at 9:30. If it’s not staffedwell enough, you may have an issue getting that many beverages in addition to your meal in such a short time.

I'm looking forward to this although I can't pay that price for 5 (including 3 kids). We will use it as a date night!

From this link, under policies:
"The venue is uncovered and outdoors. In the event of inclement weather, this experience will take place in a covered area outdoors."

Now I'm wondering where they will do this.
The upper patio has a permanent roof and roll down (plastic or tent material) sides with windows that they put down when it rains hard. The lower patio does not have any cover and seems to fit the "uncovered and outdoors" description. We've been seated in both areas before and twice when it rained. Once they put the sides down until the rain stopped and Illuminations was delayed that night and another when half the upper patio was closed because it was a bad storm and the water was pouring in, even with the sides down.
I know there is some space behind the fish and chips quick service too, and I wonder if they will utilize that area, leaving the main covered patio for regular patrons. ???

My interpretation is the lower uncovered patio ... but if weather looks bad they will move it to upper covered patio. I honestly don't know how they will handle the indoor dining room with the extra numbers.

AND in my opinion, if it is an instant sold out hit ... they might expand it to the upper patio as well. I think the days of booking for view are over. Even if you hope to get out to small standing room area, the dining room being small is bound to get backed up. My guess is folks were hogging the tables so they weren't getting the $ they want off turnover ... so let them sit, but charge them and make it a set menu to make it easier on kitchen.

It's very valuable real estate, probably the best with dining on the lagoon. I can't blame them at all.

I just made an ADR at Tokyo dining as a back up plan. We’re going in July so there’s plenty of time to read how this pans out before deciding. We’ve never been to Tokyo dining before, so that’s certainly a plus.

My interpretation is the lower uncovered patio ... but if weather looks bad they will move it to upper covered patio. I honestly don't know how they will handle the indoor dining room with the extra numbers.

AND in my opinion, if it is an instant sold out hit ... they might expand it to the upper patio as well. I think the days of booking for view are over. Even if you hope to get out to small standing room area, the dining room being small is bound to get backed up. My guess is folks were hogging the tables so they weren't getting the $ they want off turnover ... so let them sit, but charge them and make it a set menu to make it easier on kitchen.

It's very valuable real estate, probably the best with dining on the lagoon. I can't blame them at all.
I am okay with it as well. I think there are a few restaurants that suffer from "view" problems, and have read how long folks can make a meal last if they want the seat, so problem solved. Camp out. Here is the bill.

I am disappointed that now they’ve made it into an event we always book a 740 pm reservation and then ask upon checking for an outside table. I do feel the price is rather high being The last time we ate there for two of us was less than $100 neither of us drink and we had the scotch eggs fish and chips and a dessert.

With appetizer, dessert and unlimited booze the price is not awful but my child would eat none of that and I'm not paying $85 for a bowl of mac and cheese. I'd rather pay the $79 and let him go to town on desserts. Which I am doing.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed 8pm rose and crown ADR holders!

How old is you son? It's $35 for ages 3-9 which is cheaper than the dessert party.

I'm really hoping this is offered July 4th. I was planning on doing the FEA dessert party, but it comes out to the same price for 2 adults and one child so this is a way better value.

We can rope drop Frozen or get a FP. The only appeal of the dessert party for us was just to have a good spot for the 4th of July show - the offerings look pretty disappointing compared to the other parties we've done.

Last edited:
I am disappointed that now they’ve made it into an event we always book a 740 pm reservation and then ask upon checking for an outside table. I do feel the price is rather high being The last time we ate there for two of us was less than $100 neither of us drink and we had the scotch eggs fish and chips and a dessert.

Packages are not for everyone. WE do not do dessert parties, however I would love to. The value vs the cost is just not in my comfort zone for that extra.

I would totally pay for the Illuminations package though because what is offered is enough of a value to me to justify the cost.

...... My guess is folks were hogging the tables so they weren't getting the $ they want off turnover ... so let them sit, but charge them and make it a set menu to make it easier on kitchen.

From a business perspective, yes it's a good idea for Disney and probably good for R&C. We have never camped at R&C and always got later reservations and ordered full meals. There's a thread somewhere on here about desserts with an Illumination's view and R&C was brought up. It could be the same as the cupcake crowd with BOG and the need to change the "rules" so in came Prix Fix, which I don't have a problem with. We've also never camped at BOG and always ordered full meals. I do get it.

I would totally pay for the Illuminations package though because what is offered is enough of a value to me to justify the cost.
The issue that I have, aside from the fact that it is more money than we normally would spend for R&C, is this:
...... It makes me a bit sad to think that now to get that same experience you have to pay a significant up-charge (R&C is good, but it's not $85 per person good!!) and then be limited in what you can order. ......

....This isn't a new experience, like the dessert parties are. This is taking something that was once included.... and people already have reservations for, and outrageous upcharging it.

It will be a good idea for some to take advantage of it and I can see how it would work for especially crowded times and holidays. Although I would expect Disney to charge more for a "Holiday meal with Illuminations view" to come along at some point.

For me, I'm looking at it as another upcharge for something that was previously included with our meal. (outside patio view is not guaranteed, but you did get it as an option or pixie dust, and an outside viewing area if you were dining inside) It's all around Disney price increases that translates into: If you spend more money, you will get a better experience than the average park guest gets with admission. It's the way of most things anyway. It was just a nice thing to have, since we already spend so much money at Disney. It's not a deal breaker for me and it's probably not something we would do. And we do dessert parties and other events. It's a bummer, but as with all Disney extras people will decide the value and importance and budget accordingly.

How old is you son? It's $35 for ages 3-9 which is cheaper than the dessert party.
he's 10 so I'd rather spend $6 more on the dessert party and let him go to town on desserts than $6 less for dinner where he will eat a kid's mac and cheese and may not even like any of the desserts.

It's just not the thing for me!

he's 10 so I'd rather spend $6 more on the dessert party and let him go to town on desserts than $6 less for dinner where he will eat a kid's mac and cheese and may not even like any of the desserts.

It's just not the thing for me!

Gotcha! The kid's selections on the menu definitely don't look like anything special. DD will probably be ok with the pasta or she can eat some of my food.

Gotcha! The kid's selections on the menu definitely don't look like anything special. DD will probably be ok with the pasta or she can eat some of my food.
honestly the adult selections don't even look good to me (different tastes) so it's not a meal i'd be relishing either. I haven't eaten there in years because their menu is not really my cup of tea. the short rib sounds alright as does the shepherd's pie but neither of those is on the list of included entrees!

I just made an ADR at Tokyo dining as a back up plan. We’re going in July so there’s plenty of time to read how this pans out before deciding. We’ve never been to Tokyo dining before, so that’s certainly a plus.

Is there a protected outdoor space at Tokyo Dining that allows you to view Illuminations?

honestly the adult selections don't even look good to me (different tastes) so it's not a meal i'd be relishing either. I haven't eaten there in years because their menu is not really my cup of tea. the short rib sounds alright as does the shepherd's pie but neither of those is on the list of included entrees!

I agree about the selections. We often get the 7:50 reservation time and go for either the curry or the sirloin. My kids (12 and 14) aren't going to be interested in the adult options. Completely bummed that this happened. I'm assuming my 7:50 PM reservation in June is going to be worthless now.

Is there a protected outdoor space at Tokyo Dining that allows you to view Illuminations?
No. There is a decent view from the windows, and although the balcony outside the restaurant is not reserved, it generally does not fill up (based upon reports, I haven't watched the show from there, yet).

App: $12
Entrée: $22 (not sure short ribs will be an option)
Dessert: $8
Drinks: $20

Total: $62.

If you get a cocktail, those run closer to $15 (some even slightly more). Which is another $10.

Definitely depends on your style, and what you would normally do, not debating that. I don't normally order an app OR a dessert, but if you break down the cost, I can see the value of this offering is all I'm saying.

Ugh...hello new upcharge for what used to be something nice.

NONE or these dessert parties or dining packages are worth it to us because we don't drink alcohol. Oh well. We will try for a nice lunch or early dinner and then enjoy the show like always from a lovely spot around the lagoon.

With appetizer, dessert and unlimited booze the price is not awful but my child would eat none of that and I'm not paying $85 for a bowl of mac and cheese. I'd rather pay the $79 and let him go to town on desserts. Which I am doing.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed 8pm rose and crown ADR holders!

$35 for children isn't bad, unless your kids are Disney adults, which then I would probably skip it.

All adults, including three alcoholic drinks and two appetizers to share. We're not usually a dessert type of people as we find the portions at Disney to be HUGE.
Okay, then, as disappointing as the change may be, this package would not work for you.
And, keep in mind. This isn't a new experience, like the dessert parties are. This is taking something that was once included.... and people already have reservations for, and outrageous upcharging it.
People have reservations for Rose & Crown, not for specific seating, tables, or location.
Okay, then it's not a good value for you, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter