Ignorant GPS question

Aisling

<font color=darkorchid>Where your mind goes, your
I have no experience with a GSP system, but I'm thinking of buying onf for my Cali trip since I'll be renting a car.

Please forgive my ignorance, but will a GSP purchased in NYC work in Cali?? Do these systems only work in the area where they're bought, like are they programmed only with local street info from where they're bought?

Should I just buy a Cali map?? I want to drive from LGB to DL, then the next day I want to drive from DL to Malibu, and then down through LA/Hollywood back to DL. Can I trust a GPS to give me the best directions? Do I have tp program in actual addresses for it to work? Because I don't have an address to aim for in Malibu, would it still work? I basically want to drive up the PCH. I guess if I need an address I can find a restaurant or something to put in. But then what about Hollywood/LA? XCan I just tell the GPS I want to go from Malibu ti the Hollywood sign?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Some of the rental car companies have cars already equiped with GPS, you might check on that. It would be one less thing you would have to pack and keep track of.

I dont have a lot of experience with GPS, but I know my FIL has it on the motor home. I believe it just has everything you need. I'm pretty sure its loaded from satellite. I know that FIL and MIL drive all over the country and I doubt they have to buy new updates for everywhere they go. I think they put in a general idea of where they want to go and it directs them.

For me, I would just go with a map! I'm afraid dealing with new electronics would be too distracting for me.

My DH has a GPS that my brother bought him from NYC (J&R Electronics). It doesn't matter where you live. The GPS satellites transmits signals to allow your GPS receiver to track your location/destination.

We use our GPS locally and we're planning to use it when we drive south this summer for 3 weeks. It's an awesome device...highly recommended.

We plan on renting a car with GPS in it. Several of my family have GPS in their car on different levels. Basically you buy the software for where you want to go i.e my parents just have the UK maps, my inlaws have the European maps too where as my aunt had the Australian maps as well as they go their every year. We did consider buying it and getting the USA maps but decided to rent it instead. They all have the same basic system, you just buy different cards to put in with different maps on (and they can dowm load updates for them in the internet as they become available.)

It should work as most GPS devices provide maps of the US unless you just opted for a local or state map. It should also work if its updated as well. There have been changes to the area so some streets may not show up.

Most GPS's come with pre-loaded maps of the states and sub areas. Some will give you voice directions and more detailed routes than others. I have used them for years all over the world and they work well, just depends on how much you want to spend. I would also go with whether the rental car has one installed.
I am spoiled to the point I can not live witout mine when I travel, just makes life easier.

Jackpirate:

If you buy one, make sure you go to the manufacturers website and download and upload to the GPS system the latest maps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter