If you weren't getting an ECV at EVERY park, which WOULD you get it at? - UPDATE

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
We have a big family Disney trip planned next week for an entire week. I am considering renting an ECV, if needed, for this trip. We last went in Oct. and I had a lot of trouble walking. I broke my femur last year, have pain in my right knee, and have psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia. I'd rather not rent an ECV, but my husband thinks it will be necessary, just to get from point A to B. I will park it with the strollers to enter the rides.

If you have trouble walking, but can walk some, which parks do you find the EVC necessary in, more than others?

Thanks.

Two parts to this. What you are asking for and the answer you really need.

Epcot and Animal Kingdom are both much more spread out that MK or Studio.

If you rent from an off-site location you will have the ECV available all the time, including Downtown Disney. The off-site rentals are much more maneuverable than the Disney ones.

Most important is that if you start becoming miserable bcause you don't have an ECV you will ruin the vacation for everyone.

Epcot is especially a park where you need one - just to go around WS is over a mile!
For MK and AK what some people have posted doing is using the ecv to get to a general area (like to get from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland) and then npark the ecv and walk around to the close by attractions. That way, you have the advantage of the ecv to go longer distances, but don't have to fight the crowds/congestion each time you want to move around.

Cheshire Figment said:
Two parts to this. What you are asking for and the answer you really need.

Epcot and Animal Kingdom are both much more spread out that MK or Studio.

If you rent from an off-site location you will have the ECV available all the time, including Downtown Disney. The off-site rentals are much more maneuverable than the Disney ones.

Most important is that if you start becoming miserable bcause you don't have an ECV you will ruin the vacation for everyone.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Rent that ECV & make your trip easier for yourself & the others with you!!

Back from the family trip and wanted to post how it went. I only went to MK, Epcot and MGM. Wasn't up to it the day the family went to AK. Rented an ECV in all 3 parks I went to. Cost was $30 a day. I had heard $35, so that was nice. Paid or charged the $40 each day, and they give you back a $10 bill when you turn in the key. Asked about a discount price for multi-day rental and was told there wasn't one for ECVs.

I did mainly use the ECV for the long distances and parked it to go into shows or onto rides. This wasn't too hard, but sometimes it was hard to find an easy, out of the way place to park it. Can't imagine using an ECV if the parks were crowded.

Didn't like the beeping to back up, found that a little embarrassing. Also didn't like that you couldn't turn the headlight off. When in an indoor attraction everyone kept turning around to see what light was shining on them. It rained on our MGM day and that was miserable with the ECV.

Renting the ECV kept me from being exhausted. I didn't love using the ECV, but didn't hate it either. I remember a few years back when I was healthy, seeing someone in an EVC and thinking "how nice it would be to get to ride around all day." I know now how wrong I was. I felt like I missed out some because it was too hard sometimes to park it and go into a shop, so I sat outside a lot and waited on the others.

Will be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for the report.
So, it sounds like, all in all, you had a good time and didn't find the ECV too hard.
Maybe some of the people who rent from off-site can clarify about lights. I think not all the off-site ecvs have lights, but I think the ones that do, can turn them on and off.
I think that the backup beeper is standard on ecvs, but I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not correct.

Big differences between the Disney and off-site rentals.

Off-site are three wheels and much easier to maneuver; I have very few problems in shops with the three.

Most ECVs do not beep on backing. I have never seen either an owned or rental other than Disney's.

If it rains, a poncho can easily go over you when sitting down, incluyding the lower legs. The only problem might be drying the seat if you leave it out in the rain.

The off-site rentals I've used don't beep or have a head light. I find the headlight on the Disney ECVs annoying as it seems to hit me(riding on my ECV) in the face. But I do bring a flashlight to attach to the rental ECV for use at night. Glad the ECV made your trip a little easier. Thanks for posting. :moped:

I think the ecvs that I was thinking about with backup beepers were the ones I've recently seen people using at Target and the grocery store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter