If you had to pick 1 Park to SKIP??

DHS for sure has the least amount of things that interest me so I spend about a half day there at best anyway skipping it would be nothing.

AK if the kids are not Animal lovers and wont ride Expedition Everest. Event if they love animals they will nto be thrilled with AK. Not a bad park. I go there every trip but if I had to skip one it would be AK. Epcot would be a close second.

Animal Kingdom. Lots of walking and few places to sit down. I like it but it's a lot of work when it's crowded!

We do like DHS but YMMV. We would never skip Epcot because there really is plenty to do there for all ages.

If I asked my DD's (2.5 and 4.5) they would say skip AK.

While we did have fun there for the first time EVER during our December trip ~ it is typically (IMHO) hotter, more crowded and more spread out than all the other parks. I know that seems crazy but it really feels that was to us.

That being said we are AP holders and usually sneak in for the Safari and lunch at Yak and Yeti.

I disagree with the PP who said you kids won't be able to do the thrill rides at DHS. My oldest DD has love ToT since she was about 3 ~ so depending on your child's fear factor they should both be able to ride that.

So the only ride there they "maybe" couldn't do is RnR ~ but I would think the 7 year old could even do that.

Plus there is Star Tours, TSM, Little Mermaid, Playhouse Disney (this would be a good option for the 3YO while the other ride RnR) Muppets 3D, Indiana Jones Stunt show, Lights Motor Action. My girls LOVE Beauty and the Beast stage show.

We EASILY spend a whole day at DHS.

So ~ skip the zoo.

ETA: I would never skip Epcot either ~ my girls LOVE the Kidcot stations and I think the Kim Possible Mission would be good for your kids (the age range) ~ we plan to try it for the first time next trip.

We were going to skip DHS last year and it turned out to be our 4 year old's favourite day.

Breakfast with the little einsteins, the little mermaid show, playhouse disney, TSM and the stunt show made for a great day..not to mention meeting woody and buzz from toy story.

We really liked it, but if your kids aren't into playhouse disney then it might not be for you.

we are choosing to skip AK. I don't like AK as much for 2 reasons...first, it seems to get hotter than the other parks, probably because its in a bushy/tree filled area which kinda makes it feel more humid, and secondly, I just don't think it has that same "disney feel" that the other 3 parks have. Its more like a zoo to me than a theme park, for the most part.

Last year when I was planning my trip to WDW we had a similar problem. I had been to WDW before, but this was my first time going back in 5 years. I was taking my significant other on his first trip ever. We were only going to be able to spend two days in the parks and had to pick which two to skip. Magic Kingdom was a must, and with your children's ages I would NOT miss it. I showed my boyfriend all four parks and asked him what he wanted to see. He likes thrill rides so we were debating against Epcot or Disney's Hollywood's Studios. I love Epcot but with the new Toy Story Mania and the classics Tower of Terror and Rock'n'Rollarcoaster, we decided on DHS. This little taste of WDW has made me want to plan another trip so bad, and I'm going back with two of my girl friends this June and will get to see the other two parks.

I would show the vacation video to your kids and see what parks captures their attention most. The park that they seem the least interested in, just save for the next trip. Also take advantage of the wheelchair rental for the family member with the recent surgery and take lots of breaks. Maybe after the three days you'll decide that you can tackle the fourth, or maybe not. It's so hard to see everything in one trip (ok, it's impossible) so there is always something to look forward to next time.

Going back in October. My fiance and I talked and it is going to be 3 days Epcot (1 is half day on arrival), 2 days MK, and 1 day DHS. We were both unimpressed with AK last trip

Going back in October. My fiance and I talked and it is going to be 3 days Epcot (1 is half day on arrival), 2 days MK, and 1 day DHS. We were both unimpressed with AK last trip

I think AK is okay, but EE is easily the best coaster on Disney property.

Honestly, I'd rent your stepdad a scooter. So soon after surgery, I can't imagine him doing any Disney park for even one day comfortably. We had to rent one for my fil a few years ago and if we hadn't the whole trip would have been a nightmare for him and us.

We used Randy's Mobility, they deliver to hotels on and offsite, its cheaper than the ones in the parks and also they pick it up when you are done. It was a lifesaver for my fil and let us all enjoy the days and nights we had paid for without making him physcially miserable and exhausted. Or making us feel like we needed to scale back which also would have made him miserable. He always had a place to sit for a parade or fireworks, he had a great time and so many other people use them. Disney is not an easy vacation if you have any mobility issues.

For sure AK and Epcot have a ton of walking. But there is so much to do at both for all ages. My inlaws and parents all loved both of those parks and so do my kids. As for DHS, it does have two thrill rides but it also has Fantasmic, some great live shows, Toy Story Mania and its a smaller park as far as walking. AK also has two incredible live shows, the safari, Flights of Wonder which is one of those smaller shows Disney does so well. Just so much to do. If you have a nature loving child, don't skip AK.

Get the scooter for your stepdad. The best thing you can do for him is maximize his trip and ability to enjoy the grandkids doing all the things Disney has to offer at all four parks.

Check out the Disablities Board for all sorts of links on scooter rentals. That's where I found Randy's and we loved using them.

Given the amount of time you have, your dad's limitations, and your childrens' ages...I'd skip both AK and Studios, and take two days to really enjoy MK and one day for Epcot. Both parks offer lots of opportunities (boat rides, train rides, TTA, benches everywhere) to get off your feet. Like others have said, AK seems so much more hot and humid than the other parks, and can really be done in an afternoon. Visiting AK doesn't make sense if you don't have hoppers. And I've never thought Studios have much to offer young children or to those who don't do rides.

ETA: oops, mis-read the OP (3 days, not 4)

If I had to skip one park, it would be AK. Just because it's not a full day park, and you've paid for a full day ticket. DHS would be a close second, but I do enjoy the shows there. That being said, I try my best to hit every park for at least a day. My last trip, we were there 4 days, and we did one park each day and it worked out great. Especially if you take the advice and get a scooter for your stepdad, then his injury shouldn't slow him down too much.

I agree with those who suggest skipping DHS. It just doesn't appeal to our family at all. Nobody but I cares for the thrill rides (and I don't care for them that much), the lines seem to drag more there (although it's probably my perspective, since I don't care for it as much), several of the rides seem dated (but not in a charming way), and the food choices are extremely poor. It's too bad, since we stay at the BWV and it's so close!

I see the perspective of those who say to skip AK, but my princess loves the animals so it's worth it for us.

Epcot was my favorite as a child, my wife's favorite as a child, and probably DD's second favorite now (a close second behind MK). DS2 is still forming his opinions! I would never think of skipping it, although you know your family and their interests best.

Wherever you end up, you'll have a ton of fun!!!

I'll add another vote for AK. It has always been a half-day park for us. And, if Disney ever builds an Everest-like coaster elsewhere, we probably would never go back.

If you really want to stick to just the 3 days in the parks I would rule out DHS. Only because there are the least kid friendly rides/ attractions there. Plus if you want to get the most out of your day then I would rule this out only because there is the least amount of things to do.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter