If you had to live in another country...

Definitely Canada. I would love love love to visit many other countries but never live anywhere other than the USA. If I had to leave, I'd pick Canada where I would be the closest to home.

Plus it is a lovely country.

I'd love to say Italy, but probably Canada because it's closest to the U.S.

But I would pick the U.S. over any country, any day.

I would prefer Italy, on the Amalfi Coast because it's breathtaking. Maybe Switzerland because there is a real possibility of DH's job taking us there someday and it is supposedly wonderful there.

Where would you live Mark?

I don't really know. I really like it in the US. I'm tempted to say Canada just because it is the closest and most like the US. On the other hand, it's colder than I'd like. Australia or New Zealand would be good, but they are relatively small (from a population/industry standpoint) and pretty isolated.

I don't really know. I really like it in the US. I'm tempted to say Canada just because it is the closest and most like the US. On the other hand, it's colder than I'd like. Australia or New Zealand would be good, but they are relatively small (from a population/industry standpoint) and pretty isolated.
And, unless you have a skill that they need, you probably wouldn't be able to get a visa to NZ.

If I had to leave Canada and live in another country, I would pick England. I believe that fundamentally, Canadians and the British are most alike. We have similar governments and social philosophies.

Having said that, Canada is the only place I want to live!

One thing that would make me nervous about living in another country is that I've heard there are a lot of foreigners outside the US.:rolleyes:

Practically speaking, I'd have to say Canada because of the same thing that keeps us where we're at right now - the desire to be close to family while our kids are small. Canada is 5 minutes away, so that's an acceptable distance. No other country would be. I have no desire or intention to move at all until the kids are grown or nearly so.

Take away the practical worries and I'd have to say New Zealand. It is such a beautiful country with such a fascinating culture, a pleasant climate, and social norms that are rather more in line with our priorities than the American way of life. Would I rather live there? If it were just me, yes, but my personal preferences aren't reason enough for me to move my kids a world away from the grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc. that they have here.

England
Ireland
Belgium

in that order. And yes if we ever had the opportunity to move again we would jump at it.
DH was offered a job in the UK however the company dragged their feet on making it happen. By the time they said ok you have 2 weeks to move I was 8 months pregnant with DD. The Dr wouldn't let me travel. We would have left right after but I had complications that prevented me from even driving let alone moving. DH ended up taking a sabbatical from that job to help with the kids, eventually he left that company.

But yes, we would move in a heartbeat.

Ireland or England, probably. I don't think I'd rather live there than here, though.

Yes, in a heartbeat I would move to Scotland, somewhere near Edinburgh preferably. And yes, I would leave where I am now. California is very nice, but what an adventure to move to Scotland! Friends and family could hop on a plane to come visit us and there's skype now.

easy.

finland-large-flag-fi.gif

Minä haluan asua Suomessa!

Finland. Not even a contest, in fact my plan IS to live there as soon as possible. The country is amazing, extremely clean and beautiful, the people are gorgeous, quiet, and smart, the country is very high-tech and progressive in its thinking. Plus I love cold weather.

Granted, I may be a little biased considering my heritage is Finnish/Scandinavian, but still its a great country.

-Hellstrom

Australia, Australia, Australia!!!

I spent lots of time there on business in the 90s. Mainly I love the Australian people. I can't believe how total strangers would invite me to go do things. People would even come to work an hour early to have breakfast with me so I would not have to eat alone.

A friend of a friend of a friend of someone's in-law (very distant conncection) had been an anchor at a major TV station. He was sort of retired and had a game show. He had me come to the studio, watch living taping, introduced me to EVERYONE, and then he and his wife would have me over for a home cooked meal.

The only negative thing is the 14 hour flight from the West Coast. I haven't been back in almost a decade (taking care of an elderly father), but maybe I will. My brother owns a huge home and grounds on the Gold Coast.

I traveled a lot internationally especially to London over the years. Now I do love London for the theatre. I would go almost everynight. People were nice everywhere, but gosh the Australians really go the extra mile to be hospitable.

My dream has been to live in London for a year or so, working at one of their amazing, historic publishing houses. Ideally, it would be around this time, when DBF and I are not tied down with a mortgage and children. Permanently, though? No way. I have too many family ties here, plus, I love New York way too much!

Practically speaking, I'd have to say Canada because of the same thing that keeps us where we're at right now - the desire to be close to family while our kids are small. Canada is 5 minutes away, so that's an acceptable distance. No other country would be. I have no desire or intention to move at all until the kids are grown or nearly so.

Take away the practical worries and I'd have to say New Zealand. It is such a beautiful country with such a fascinating culture, a pleasant climate, and social norms that are rather more in line with our priorities than the American way of life. Would I rather live there? If it were just me, yes, but my personal preferences aren't reason enough for me to move my kids a world away from the grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc. that they have here.

Colleen, get out of my head! ;) Yes, all of this 100%. I could swim to Ontario where I grew up, so I'd actually still be really close to everyone I love even if I moved to Canada. (And I really love Canada anyways.)

If it were just me, I would consider New Zealand or the London area.

One thing that would make me nervous about living in another country is that I've heard there are a lot of foreigners outside the US.:rolleyes:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

When I was in high school our orchestra went to Europe. We landed in Frankfurt, Germany and one kid in our orchestra commented on all the "foreign" cars in the parking lot-mostly Mercedes, etc. I told him the only foreign car here was the Ford parked a few spots away :lmao:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter