If you had to live in another country...

Ireland, Scotland, Italy (Tuscany), Sicily, or France ( Provence)

In. a perfect world, we would either like Edinburgh, Scotland or the Bavarian Region of Germany. We fell in love w/both regions during trips to Europe, and Bavaria boasts a climate that were are more familiar with. However, it's not a perfect world, and we probably couldn't afford to live in either.

Leave the USA? Wouldn't give it a 2nd thought unless we had grandchildren (our son would probably follow us given his ties to international business).

Hmmm. I would like to move to America (a southern coastal state) because of the climate, but I really do love where I live now. Family is very important to me and I don't know if I could permanently live somewhere out of driving distance of them. I think I could very happily live somewhere else but would be happiest where I am now.:thumbsup2

probably have to go with Lisborn Portugal or St. Maarten. I've spent time in both places and they are absolutely wonderful countries. that's a dream for dh and mine, when we retire spend half the year in the U.S. and half the year in another country.

Italy or Austria, and yes, we've actually discussed moving to southern Italy. DH's family is from Sicily. He is only 2nd generation born in Ameria. I, on the other hand, am a member of the Mayflower Society.

Well I live in Germany now--it would have to be a DARNED good offer to get me to leave and go back "home." I really love it here.
There are not many other places I would want to go on a permanent basis (but i would go anywhere that is safe for Americans for 1-2 years if i knew it was short term).

Italy or Spain. I lived in Italy for 8-1/2 years and loved it and have always wanted to be in Spain. I am happy where I am now, but after DS goes to college in a few years I wouldn't be opposed to my husband taking a 2-year contracting job overseas. :)

New Zealand - I visited there two years ago and fell in love with the country and the people.

I haven't been to Italy but would love to visit and suspect it might be my second choice.

I also love England and have family there so it would be on my list too.

But I do love Canada and Canadians, plus my family is here, so I'll probably stay. I just wish we had less winter! I didn't mind so much when I was younger but the older I get, the more the cold and gloomy weather depresses me. I find this time of year very hard, watching the days get shorter and the leaves change colour, and feeling the weather get colder.

I think Canada should just take over part of Florida, or maybe Southern California, and then I'd happily move there.

Teresa

Tough call. We had a thread on this same topic maybe a couple of years ago, and the discussion got pretty intense.

For us, we could go to a number of countries, but equally, there are a number of countries where we wouldn't want to live, for a number of reasons. (I don't think that there is a single country in the world that we wouldn't want to at least visit, with the exception of North Korea.)

The things we would look at are basic freedoms (that rules out a number of dictatorships in addition to North Korea), security (that rules out a number of Latin American and African countries), basic services (medical and social services, electricity, heating - anything that requires a reasonably well functioning government - and that rules out a number of southern and eastern European countries as well as quite a few Asian countries), and in general a reasonably good standard of living (that rules out, for example, a number of the Pacific and Caribbean islands).

What's left? Around the Pacific: Australia, New Zealand, Japan and (with some doubts) Thailand. And in Europe, quite a number of countries: any of the Nordic countries, the UK (with the exception of London - too expensive!), Ireland, the Netherlands, Germany and Austria.

And in North America: either Canada or Texas. (Didn't we have a thread about five months ago, with someone from California asking how to behave when she goes to what was, for her, a foreign country - Texas? ;)

Australia, Australia, Australia!!!

I spent lots of time there on business in the 90s. Mainly I love the Australian people. I can't believe how total strangers would invite me to go do things. People would even come to work an hour early to have breakfast with me so I would not have to eat alone.

A friend of a friend of a friend of someone's in-law (very distant conncection) had been an anchor at a major TV station. He was sort of retired and had a game show. He had me come to the studio, watch living taping, introduced me to EVERYONE, and then he and his wife would have me over for a home cooked meal.

The only negative thing is the 14 hour flight from the West Coast. I haven't been back in almost a decade (taking care of an elderly father), but maybe I will. My brother owns a huge home and grounds on the Gold Coast.

I traveled a lot internationally especially to London over the years. Now I do love London for the theatre. I would go almost everynight. People were nice everywhere, but gosh the Australians really go the extra mile to be hospitable.

Aside from Texans.....but then, I am biased :rotfl:....Australians are the friendliest, most hospitable people on the face of the planet. :thumbsup2 I lived there for a few months and I think I came home with nearly as much money as I went to Australia with. They simply would not hear of me paying.....No, they had to "treat" me everywhere we went. And I never lacked for invitations. To their homes, to dinner, to the theatre, to the horse races, touring the wine country, yachting, you name it. They love to have a good time, and by God they want YOU to have one as well. :banana: I made a fast friend there in the dorm and a few decades later, we're still thick as thieves. We hope to go see her within the next few years. I can't wait to return!

As to where I'd live.....Well, I love the Aussies. Their spirit and attitude. But it's so dang far from anyplace. If I lived just about anywhere in Europe, I'd be able to travel to my heart's content and since travel is my passion, I'd give the edge to any number of European countries. I'm as cozy as a bug in a rug in the UK. Just feel at home there. But I could be happy any number of places.

Argentina.

After spending two separate 10 day vacations there, I am sure that this is the country I would move to.::yes::

And yes again, I would leave the US as soon as I had the ticket in my hand.

La Argentina está en mi corazón.:love:

I was born in Iowa but grew up in Australia. I also lived in Germany for awhile. I've physically travelled around the globe 4 times.

If I had to pick it would be either Australia or Germany as those are the places I'm most familiar with.

However, I'd rather stay right here in the USA. Greatest country on the planet!

I could easily move to the Netherlands. I spent part of my childhood there and it was wonderful.

Other than that... I'd have to know more but I could see Canada, Australia and Germany being on my short list. Also the Scandinavian countries and maybe Italy.

I love Paris but my husband loves Florence. I guess we'd have to fight it out.

I would rather live in the US above all other countries, but if I HAD to move, my first choice by far would be the UK. I've always felt drawn to it.

If not there, then someplace where English is the main language because I am horrid at learning new languages and would not want to be the idiot walking around 10 years after moving somewhere unable to communicate in the native language.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter