If you could change one thing about DCL, what would it be?

Virtual queues to meet characters versus standing in line. Probably not practical as lines of different lengths move faster or slower depending on the number of mix and match family photos with characters and / or items to sign.

We signed up for the brunch on Carnival and were paged when we were close to ready such that by the time we walked back to the restaurant we were ready to be seated which caused me to think what else could benefit from not standing around?

I agree with a lot of what's been mentioned, but one thing I haven't seen: the ability to order food in the app and have it delivered to your location on the ship. I experienced this when I cruised on Princess in 2021 and it was really nice. You just go in and select what you want (it was all quick service type food, like tacos, quesadillas, sandwiches, etc.); the app would recognize your location (and then you would click to confirm), and they would deliver to you. You could also check the app for updates (making the food, on their way, etc.). You could do this with drinks as well.

Not sure it's my #1 thing, but it was a super nice perk on Princess.

Also, I can't recall if it's been said, but not having to get up at midnight to do reservations and online check in. I know it didn't used to be that way, so I'm hoping they'll go back to that!

I wish they would do west coast sailings... Vancouver to San Diego ( maybe catalina in there). Vancouver, Van Island, Seattle, SFO, LAX and SAN... Legally possible. have LAX an overnight and do a disney excursion. make them one-way.. feeding HA. maybe

they have had afew but rarely this type.. they focus too much on SAN and mexico.
Yes please!! 🙏🤩

More water slides, on the ships and private islands. There isn’t much for the tween/teens who aren’t into Disney characters anymore. My 11 year old was pretty bored at castaway, my younger kids still love a Disney cruise but RC may fit our family needs better now. I’d love to stick with DCL but it’s a lot of money without much entertainment for thrill seekers.

Absolutely agree with another option besides MDR for evening meal. Also would like longer season out of Galveston.

It would be my #1 thing. But it does a lot more than ordering drinks. It's called Medallion and it's a great system. It unlocks your cabin door once you get close. It shows where anyone in your party is and how to get there. If a crewmember has a screen in front of them it shows who's approaching them.

DCL dropped the ball by not having a similar system on the Wish. They've had it at WDW for years.

It would be my #1 thing. But it does a lot more than ordering drinks. It's called Medallion and it's a great system. It unlocks your cabin door once you get close. It shows where anyone in your party is and how to get there. If a crewmember has a screen in front of them it shows who's approaching them.

DCL dropped the ball by not having a similar system on the Wish. They've had it at WDW for years.
Oh yeah, Medallion does a lot of great stuff! First time my stateroom door unlocked as I approached it I was a little freaked out, lol, but it's super handy. I agree, Disney already has Magic Bands in the parks (which is quite similar), so I don't know why they didn't do that on the Triton class ships.

And the thing with that is that I am just the opposite - the lack of that stuff is one of the draws for cruising Disney. I want a more peaceful vacation experience. I would appreciate it if the crew wasn’t trying to “pump up” the crowd at all - especially in the dining rooms. (This would be my whole life, not just that I am mid-age+.)
Totally agree - any changes DCL makes shouldn’t take away from what makes it a Disney vacation. There are other lines that are more go-go-go or thrill-focused.

More water slides, on the ships and private islands. There isn’t much for the tween/teens who aren’t into Disney characters anymore. My 11 year old was pretty bored at castaway, my younger kids still love a Disney cruise but RC may fit our family needs better now. I’d love to stick with DCL but it’s a lot of money without much entertainment for thrill seekers.
I've never been but I've heard that Royal Carribean on Perfect Day has lots of slides, pools and you can get funnel cakes an smoothies and all kinds of snacks. It would be nice if Disney had some of these things at Castaway Cay.

I've never been but I've heard that Royal Carribean on Perfect Day has lots of slides, pools and you can get funnel cakes an smoothies and all kinds of snacks. It would be nice if Disney had some of these things at Castaway Cay.
Maybe this is something they may do at the new island Light House Point.

Cabanas buffet as an alternative to rotational dining for dinner. This restaurant used to be offered with an A La Carte menu, but I don’t think even that is available now, so dining choices are very limited and prescribed, especially if for some reason you fancy a simpler meal one evening. For example if seas are ever rougher, or I have returned from a full day excursion, I’m not always in the mood for a formal meal.

I agree with a lot of what's been mentioned, but one thing I haven't seen: the ability to order food in the app and have it delivered to your location on the ship. I experienced this when I cruised on Princess in 2021 and it was really nice. You just go in and select what you want (it was all quick service type food, like tacos, quesadillas, sandwiches, etc.); the app would recognize your location (and then you would click to confirm), and they would deliver to you. You could also check the app for updates (making the food, on their way, etc.). You could do this with drinks as well.

Also, I can't recall if it's been said, but not having to get up at midnight to do reservations and online check in. I know it didn't used to be that way, so I'm hoping they'll go back to that!
Yes! Why can't we enter things like passport, and travel info in advance? They could at least us enter all the info in advance and then just check in at midnight.

Yes! Why can't we enter things like passport, and travel info in advance? They could at least us enter all the info in advance and then just check in at midnight.

I would take it one step further. When booking, you pick your preferred PAT. At 30 days out, the system starts assigning them using a priority system (presumably loyalty status). If the system gets to you and your spot isn't available, it picks the next available spot for you. That would mean check-in is simply for setting up your onboard account and signing the final contract. Nobody would rush to do it at midnight and everything would run more smoothly.

Or, just let people book a PAT at the time of booking, the same as dining, and make it first come first serve. I know the late-bookers here wouldn't love that, but sometimes simplicity is worth the trade offs. They could even hold the best times for the highest loyalty tiers. Or go back to anytime boarding for the highest tiers.

A good PAT really isn't a make or break thing, but somehow I let myself get caught up in trying to get a good one. I vow not to do that on my September cruise and to just take what I can get the next morning.

I sent a comment Disney about the process after two hours of frustration last week. I received a call from a very nice woman who agreed that the midnight check in wasn't good. She said they were exploring alternative options. I don't know if that was just a comment to make a customer happy, but I hope it is true.

Last edited:
I really hope they never bring perfect day style to Castaway or Lighthouse Point.

I’m not a fan of the water park aesthetic when you’re in such a beautiful natural place. I also dislike the upcharge aspect of of it. The waterpark at Royal Caribbean is not included; it’s an extra charge.

I wouldn’t mind them shaking up the food on the islands but you can buy smoothies on Castaway.

Personally I think you should be able to sign up for your port arrival time based on your cruise status. And I say this is somebody who is only gold.

Pearl should be able to check in at 40 Days
Platinum should be able to check in at 37 Days
Gold at 35 Days
Silver at 33 Days
First Time Cruisers 30 Days

This creates also enough of a buffer that if you are Platinum and you want to sleep in till the next morning to check in you’re still not up against as many people.

They could also implement this for some of the activities that only become available at 30 days out like certain scheduled meet and greets.

There should be some benefit to being loyal to DCL

I really hope they never bring perfect day style to Castaway or Lighthouse Point.

I’m not a fan of the water park aesthetic when you’re in such a beautiful natural place. I also dislike the upcharge aspect of of it. The waterpark at Royal Caribbean is not included; it’s an extra charge.

I wouldn’t mind them shaking up the food on the islands but you can buy smoothies on Castaway.
I agree. I have never been to Perfect Day, but I have been to Labadee and Great Stirrup Cay and sets Castaway Cay apart is the lack of that kind of junk, for lack of a better word. I like the Gilligans Island feel.

I would take it one step further. When booking, you pick your preferred PAT. At 30 days out, the system starts assigning them using a priority system (presumably loyalty status). If the system gets to you and your spot isn't available, it picks the next available spot for you. That would mean check-in is simply for setting up your onboard account and signing the final contract. Nobody would rush to do it at midnight and everything would run more smoothly.

Or, just let people book a PAT at the time of booking, the same as dining, and make it first come first serve. I know the late-bookers here wouldn't love that, but sometimes simplicity is worth the trade offs. They could even hold the best times for the highest loyalty tiers. Or go back to anytime boarding for the highest tiers.

A good PAT really isn't a make or break thing, but somehow I let myself get caught up in trying to get a good one. I vow not to do that on my September cruise and to just take what I can get the next morning.

I sent a comment Disney about the process after two hours of frustration last week. I received a call from a very nice woman who agreed that the midnight check in wasn't good. She said they were exploring alternative options. I don't know if that was just a comment to make a customer happy, but I hope it is true.
I like your idea about the loyalty. I'd go for that. If only they can provide an alternative option within the next 20 days. Hahaha. Otherwise I'll be up at midnight trying to secure that coveted PAT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter