If money were no object...

Beachmum

Mouseketeer
Obviously, money is not no object, but I'm still agonizing over this.

DH said I could see how much it would cost to upgrade our adjoining cabins (with veranda) on deck 8 to the two-bedroom suite (concierge) if I wanted too. It costs $3,000 more (assuming it's still available).

On the one hand, the kids go to bed earlier than we do, and it would be nice to have the extra room and the concierge services.

On the other hand, I can think of other things to spend $3,000 on.

Pretending I have the money sitting here with nothing to do, what do you experienced cruisers think? Thank you.:confused3

do it! how often will you get the chance and really, its only money! sorry, couldn't help myself.
how long is the cruise? if it were a seven day i would IF i had extra money and it would not interfer with the rest of my spending plans.
if it is a 3 or 4 day, not on a bet.

I would need to know how much you are already paying. If it is 10% more - go for it. If it is 30% more - I wouldn't. I have looked at two adjoining Cat 9Bs on a 5 day double dip for our family of 5 and found I can get the entire cruise for around 3500 (August of 2012) I would rather book a second cruise with that money!!!:cool1:

How many of you are there? I trust that you have 2 cat 4s right now.

Personal opinion--unless you have 5 people in a cabin, I think that cat 4s are terribly overpriced. I'd do one of two things. I'd either downgrade to 2 connecting cat 6s (if available) and save even more money for fun things OR I'd say that this is a special vacation and go for the suite and be totally spoiled.

Do you have ADJOINING (next to each other) cabins or connecting (door between them). If connecting, kids going to bed should not be a big issue.

$3000 for a week--ok, $500 per day. I suppose that might be worth the pampering. However, as another poster said, that's another cruise for me/us. I could do A LOT of fun things for $3K.

If money is no object? Suite! We were spoiled the last couple of DCL cruises by upgrading to suites at the port. Tough going back after that experience.

I agree with kcashner...how many people does this cover in your Cat 4's?!? 6 people? 10 people? I'd have to look at the breakdown per person per night. Money is a BIG object for us so we can hardly spring for a balcony for the 3 of us so I am a lot on the practical side... We upgraded from our usual Cat 10 SPH cabin to a Cat 5C on our Med cruise for this summer but only because DCL slashed the prices on the balcony cabins and not the inside categories. The net total increase was less than $400 which worked out to only $19 pp per night. That's about our limit - and even at that I sometimes look at what our balance USED to be before we upgraded and wonder if we did the right thing. I would only do it if money was absolutely disposable and of no question.

What extra do you get from concierge services? We haven't cruised yet but we don't get to take freq vacations so we tend to spoil ourselves when we do.

If money is no object? Suite! We were spoiled the last couple of DCL cruises by upgrading to suites at the port. Tough going back after that experience.

Insureman - awesome for you!! :cool1: How did this happen? Did you request it or did DCL do it on their own? I am so hoping for an upgrade in July!! :worship: Any tips for getting one? :wizard: Thanks in advance! :cheer2:

Princess Bette princess:

I wouldn't spend the extra. I just don't think its worth it.

Even if the rooms aren't connecting, you HAVE an extra room for privacy when the kids go to bed early (if they actually do - you never know what can happen when on vacation, especially a cruise). Pack a $20 baby monitor to hear what's happening in the room if you have to and spend the money someplace else.

I wouldn't spend the extra. I just don't think its worth it.

Even if the rooms aren't connecting, you HAVE an extra room for privacy when the kids go to bed early (if they actually do - you never know what can happen when on vacation, especially a cruise). Pack a $20 baby monitor to hear what's happening in the room if you have to and spend the money someplace else.

Ditto. I personally like having (and book) two connecting cabins. Now that my kids are older I can book insides across the hall but when they were younger, we certainly booked two connecting balcony cabins, but we usually sail RCCL not Disney. We do not book the connecting or inside and balcony rooms instead of concierge for price, we book it for space and privacy.
With the two connecting cabins, each child will have their own bed. They will have their own TV and most importantly, you will have two bathrooms and showers. You will have two refrigerators. The kids have their own drawers for storage.
You can close the door almost all the way to hear the kids while they are asleep but you and your husband can have the lights and TV on since you are in your own cabin.
The kids cannot come to the Concierge Lounge with you. So if you decide to go for drinks while they are sleeping, you will have to take turns. You can preorder alcohol for your cabin and have available for both of you while the kids are sleeping.
Let us know what you decide.

I'd rather go on another trip or two with $3000 than blow it on a suite.

I totally agree. That is almost what we spent for all 4 of us on our 7 nt Western in a cat 9 window. ($3200)
jmho.

Insureman - awesome for you!! :cool1: How did this happen? Did you request it or did DCL do it on their own? I am so hoping for an upgrade in July!! :worship: Any tips for getting one? :wizard: Thanks in advance! :cheer2:

Princess Bette princess:

When you upgrade at the port, DCL doesn't do it for you. You have to request it and you do pay for the upgrade but it's not nearly as much as if you booked the more expensive room from the start.

Thank you all. I think we're going to stay where we are. We already spent $8k on the connecting rooms, but DH suddenly was feeling like maybe we'd be happier with the suite. I may see how much it is (if it's available) on the day we board, but I think I'll save that money for another day.

We're only the four of us, but I've gotten used to travelling with the kids in their own rooms.

My only other question is, aside from early boarding, what is the benefit of conceierge level? I read that they can book stuff earlier (too late for that) but what else makes it 'better?'

Thank you all. I think we're going to stay where we are. We already spent $8k on the connecting rooms, but DH suddenly was feeling like maybe we'd be happier with the suite. I may see how much it is (if it's available) on the day we board, but I think I'll save that money for another day.

We're only the four of us, but I've gotten used to travelling with the kids in their own rooms.

My only other question is, aside from early boarding, what is the benefit of conceierge level? I read that they can book stuff earlier (too late for that) but what else makes it 'better?'

We have stayed in the 2 bedroom suite 3 times. The first cruise was perfect and since our kids were little we really felt it was the best cabin for us. The concierge guests board first and then go to a lounge to sign up for the kids club and make any reservations (dinner or spa). They do have a few gatherings but we can easily go without. They leave snacks in your cabin in the evening which was nice but not worth $3,000. The concierge stops by the cabin once a day and you get a piece of Disney art when you leave. Each cruise we noticed a decline in the concierge service- the staff is just spread too thin. For us it didnt amount to $3,000 in pampering. Our next cruise is already booked and we have 2 connecting so we have the space and the bathroom plus an extra $3,000 to have fun.

We upgraded to a suite at the port and don't know if we can ever go any other way now. Here are just some of the bennies that I can remember ...

1. Changed our dining rotation/table size/time at the last min.
2. Booked all our reservations (including Palo) at the last min.
3. Got us into Tea w/ Alice & Gingerbread House Making (which I know had very limited seats) at the last min.
4. Brought me cold meds (for free) when I called to inquire where I can buy some
5. Brought amazing treats EVERY afternoon
6. Gave us free tix to the arcade twice
7. Gave us an original Disney poster as souvenir
8. Gave us a personalized daily itinerary (not just the Navigators)
9. You can order full (hot) breakfasts
10. You can eat any or all meals from rotational dining in our suite, complete w/ table linens, etc.
11. Welcome reception with free alcohol & hors d'ouerves so we didn't have to wait in a long line for lunch like everyone else on embarkation day
12. Private character reception w/ free alcohol & lots of heavy hors d'ouerves during the cruise
13. Free bottled water & sodas in the room
14. 2 HUGE full baths (need I say more??)
15. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the beds are heavenly
16. Use of bathrobes & slippers
17. Upgraded bath amenities
18. You can order breakfast on debarkation day
19. Early booking for Palo, excursions, etc.
20. Early embarkation
21. I think someone said that on port days where you need to be ferried, you can get off the ship earlier. Can't confirm this b/c we never got off the ship
22. You can get a menu from each night as a souvenir upon request
23. A lot bigger room & balcony

Last, but not least, the concierge service is 24X7 and second to none. For every request, it's always "no problem" "right away" or "not real sure, but I'll figure it out how it can be done." They know the definition of "pampering."

I'm sure there are other items I've missed, but I think you get the picture. :thumbsup2

We did the 'money is no object' suite cruise, twice! Loved the suites! Everyone had room to stretch out, 2.5 bathrooms is so convenient when you travel with 3 boys! We hung out in the rooms quite a bit while still getting a lot out of the cruises themselves. The first cruise we had the Roy suite on the Wonder. Concierge on the Wonder was no help with anything. We met them when we checked in and never saw them again. 18 months later we did the 2 bedroom suite on the Magic for a week. The concierge team was thoughtful and we saw them every day. But, the concierge service and availability has changed dramatically since our experiences in 2005 and 2007. Both of our cruises in those suites cost about the same as your 2 cabins are going to on your upcoming cruise. The costs have gone up considerably.

On our last cruise in 2009, we did what another poster said. We booked a category 4 for us and an inside room directly across the hall for our 17 year old and our 15 year old. Worked out great until our sewer pipe broke on night one. Disney upgraded us to a 1bd HA suite for the remainder of our cruise. Our boys were ticked! :laughing: They didn't like having to sleep on a sofa bed or sleep in the same room as mom and dad after having their own room.

We are cruising again next year and opted for the 2 rooms again rather than the suite. The money we saved will pay for rebooking onboard for 2012.

It really is personal preference. Looking back, it was lovely, but we would not do it now with the economy the way it is and the prices the way they are. I know concierge is going to be different on the new ships, but I agree with the one poster who said that the concierge was 'spread too thin'. With only a small team (both times in suites there were only 2 concierge team members during sailing) they cannot attend to everyone like they did the family with the long list. We never asked for anything and had made all of our excursion, spa and dining choices online well ahead of embarkation. Each cruise is different, but the concierge benefits are not worth the extra money. You can order your own room service snacks daily for a few dollar tip and the lithographs they give you are available for purchase in the gift shop. They weren't framed or signed or anything special (although I have heard of other cruisers asking for every previous lithograph and getting them! :eek:).

:offtopic:Is it really true that children of suite guests cannot go into the concierge lounge on the new ship? When we stay concierge at the hotels, the kids go in and out of the lounge all day long getting snacks and drinks.

I'm confused about the on board concierge lounge. Do the Wonder and Magic have them? Where are they and what is in them. Or is this in the new ships only. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter