Ian

The current projection is worst case scenario for us. We moved a lot of our priceless items to a safe location today, videoed everything in the house, and packed to leave first thing in the morning. Mandatory evacuations already underway for our zone. We're going to move into the Swan and watch from afar.

I'm preparing to not have a house by the end of the week, and am extremely weepy today. Driving away will be brutal in the morning. So if you see someone wandering Epcot tomorrow bawling, it's probably me.
I know worrying about your home is super stressful, but thank you for evacuating! My mom’s house in Crystal River flooded in the 1993 no-name storm and again in Hermine. (Or was it Michael? There’ve been so many.) There’s nothing quite like hearing that your family member has been rescued in a row boat to make you feel helpless. Well, the conversation about “I’m sitting on the kitchen counter eating a snack waiting for the water to recede because I’m worried about snakes” was not great either. she sold her house last year and moved inland, otherwise I wonder if she would have finally evacuated this time.

Please treat yourself to your favorite snacks and be kind to yourself, okay?

Spoke to my sister this morning. She’s doing ok. I think she feels much better now that she and her family are somewhere safe.
She said she was very very glad they took a two lane highway to their destination because the major routes are a nightmare.

She’s sent me a map of the projected path and their house will be underwater unless something changes drastically.
It’s an incredibly densely populated area and this is a nightmare scenario for so many people.

My sister and her family are safe thankfully but so many people are right in the path of this storm.

It does look pretty bad for the Tampa area, with 15-20" rain and 5-10' storm surge forecast. It's moving kind of slow too, which makes it bad when it lingers and just keeps dumping water. So sorry for everyone dealing with this. At least it is a relief to know when your family members have evacuated to a safe place. But, it's really worrying that some won't want to or won't be able to. It will be a stressful few days just watching this, never mind being in it!

We’re in the cone in SC. Our impact looks to be a whole lot of flooding and some winds. They are of course worried about Tornadoes. We have a low sitting off our coast that is supposed to connect with Ian producing major flooding. Thank God for flood insurance! Hoping we don’t need it! Thoughts and Prayers for anyone who will be affected by the trajectory of this storm.

Me too. Usually when a storm is coming my sister and BIL have to evacuate and they come here. I still haven’t ruled out going over to stay with them for a couple of days, but the news is calling for nearly as much wind, and more rain, for them than for me, even though I am closer to the storm. So I am waiting another update or two to decide.

The news here just showed a shot of I-4, outside of Lakeman, heading towards Orlando. It is at a standstill.

Ian up to 125 MPH, moving 12 MPH. Officially Cat 3. Winds out 125 miles.; hurricane winds stretch 35 miles out.

We are projected to start getting the winds late tomorrow morning.

ST Petes/Clearwater airport supposed to close today. No word yet from JIA, but I expect DH will NOT be flying home on Friday...if he does, he better hope Uber is running, because I am not driving in that mess at all.

Last edited:
The news here just showed a shot of I-4, outside of Lakeman, heading towards Orlando. It is at a standstill.
I have three different ways I can get to her home without taking any interstates, and would probably choose one of those instead. My concern right now is the storm path.

I like to use the Ventusky app to monitor hurricane tracks. From the 5pm update yesterday, they have been showing the storm coming in around Cape Coral in SW Florida and going across Polk and Osceola counties and exiting at or slightly north of Cape Canaveral. They have been very consistent about this. This is a different path than the NHC, but does match some of the computer models that are farthest to the east. The NHC path has it extremely close to where I live, but keeps creeping east with each update. I don’t know which to believe at this time. I don’t want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire, but eventually I will have to make a firm decision to stay or go. I think that will happen with the 11:00 update.

I live in a reinforced concrete block house (blocks were reinforced with rebar and poured solid) with a concrete tile roof. Basically it’s a bunker with windows. It has a daylight basement where half the basement is underground with no windows. I would probably survive the storm, but I don’t really relish the eye coming close when I am home alone. I admit it’s got me very scared since they say it’s worse than Irma and will last at least twice as long. I thought I was going to lose my mind during Irma.

Orange County here, 8 miles north of WDW. Transplant from Canada.
We're kind of calm, well stocked up with water and food... but I just heard several media outlets saying this will be the worst hurricane/storm in FL in 100 years?? Huh?? how? At its worst it'll be a CAT 3.. are they saying there's never been CATs 4 or 5 in FL in 100 years? Looks like the media is exaggerating & being overly dramatic.. this is like their superbowl right now they sound so excited!
For the record, as of now, I'd still take 1-2 hurricanes a year over 6 months of snow, 9 months of cold weather. Any day of the week.. I bleeping love Florida.
Hope this beautiful state doesn't get battered too much by Ian.

We're kind of calm, well stocked up with water and food... but I just heard several media outlets saying this will be the worst hurricane/storm in FL in 100 years?? Huh?? how? At its worst it'll be a CAT 3.. are they saying there's never been CATs 4 or 5 in FL in 100 years? Looks like the media is exaggerating & being overly dramatic.. this is like their superbowl right now they sound so excited!
For the record, as of now, I'd still take 1-2 hurricanes a year over 6 months of snow, 9 months of cold weather. Any day of the week.. I bleeping love Florida.
I think they may have been talking specifically about the Tampa Bay area. Already saturated ground plus storm surge hit on bay plus 3 months of rain in 3 days plus slow moving storm = wretched mess.

Sending all my good vibes to everyone who's being affected. It's a terrible thought that you may lose your home and your possessions through no fault of your own. I hope this will not be the case for all of you posting here. My heart is with you all.

Hopefully it will come ashore south of Tampa Bay which would greatly lessen the damage from the storm surge there.

As someone who grew up in Florida and now lives in New Orleans, I believe your lack of experience with hurricanes is clouding your judgement. Here's how I see it, having lived through the eye of Ida last year:

A) Ian is projected to undergone rapid intensification. Just like Ida did. There may be some slight weakening after that. Ida was projected to weaken quickly following its rapid intensification cycle and make landfall as a Cat 1/weakening to a tropical storm. Instead, it made landfall as a Cat 4/strengthening to Cat 5. Our prediction tools are good, but they're not THAT good. Nobody can predict exactly what will happen after rapid intensification, and many experts are now calling for a Cat 4 at landfall.

B) Ian is going to slow way down. Just like Ida did. It's one thing for a major hurricane to rip through fast and go away. Zeta did that here the year before Ida. It sucked, we lost power for a couple of days, but it was fine. It's something else entirely to be battered by a hurricane that won't leave. As of now, Ian is predicted to start brushing the West Coast of Florida by 2pm tomorrow. It won't be downgraded to a tropical storm until 2am Friday, and it won't exit to Georgia until 2am SATURDAY. That is an insanely long hurricane (most are gone in a few hours). The longer it lasts, the more damage it does.

C) The 100-year storm thing is specifically in reference to Tampa Bay. It was 1921 the last time a major hurricane entered the state from there. They're low-lying, flood-prone, and utterly unprepared. If they get the predicted 10 foot storm surge, there's nothing to stop it.

You should be more or less okay in Orange County, depending on the exact track and intensity. Except, you're currently in the northeast quadrant--which is the WORST place to be besides the eyewall (which could also still hit you, depending on last minute jogs in the path). Prepare for lots of tornadoes and extremely intense storms. If you're in a solid, well-built house and ready for a week to a month of the power being out, you'll likely make it through relatively unscathed (relatively being the operative word).

D) Since you asked, Cat 4/5 hurricanes are RARE. There have been 13 of them to hit Florida in the past 100 years. And again, NONE have taken this track through the center of the state from west to east.

Everyone has to do what they think is best for their own family. But until you've personally huddled with your family in a bathroom all night while you could literally feel your house shifting on its foundation and the walls swaying, please don't come into a thread like this and downplay the potential impacts.

I was so so so surprised when I first learned that there was a hurricane named after an Onward character and it made me smile a lot because Ian Lightfoot is my favorite Onward character and it made me giggle a lot. I love the name Hurricane Ian because it sounds like a name that a superhero would use or a wrestler would use too
Really?! This is going to be a catastrophic storm and you're gushing about the name? I'm glad to see you've got priorities.

but I just heard several media outlets saying this will be the worst hurricane/storm in FL in 100 years?? Huh?? how? At its worst it'll be a CAT 3.. are they saying there's never been CATs 4 or 5 in FL in 100 years? Looks like the media is exaggerating & being overly dramatic.. this is like their superbowl right now they sound so excited!
Remember, the categories only reflect wind speed. Categories do not reflect storm surge nor rainfall. Those two latter items typically are the most destructive aspects of a hurricane. The wind can certainly be destructive, but typically not as destructive as the other two.

Wishing you well over the coming days.

There are different ways a storm can be catastrophic. The categories are wind only. They don’t take into account the forward speed of the storm or the amount of rain. Rain is going to be a huge issue with this storm because it is basically just going to hang out for 48 hours. I went through a similar situation when I first moved to Florida, where a storm just parked for three days. The first few hours aren’t so bad, but after the first day, with little sleep because debris is hitting your house all night, all you want is for it to stop.

There are already neighborhoods in central Florida that are flooded NOW, and will still be flooded when Ian arrives. Many areas that flood have pumps to remove the extra water, but if those overflow areas are flooded as well, there’s nothing that can be done. All of the places offering sandbags have been extremely busy because of this. To be honest, we won’t know where Ian ranks in the list of catastrophic storms until everything is tallied up after the storm is gone.

I am glad you are calm. I am not. I haven’t slept more than a couple hours a night for almost a week now. I know what we may be in for, and although I have a well built house, I still wish I was a few hundred miles away for the rest of the week.

Oh, and make sure you have some cash on hand. If the power is out for weeks, you may not be able to use a credit or debit card to pay for anything unless the store has a generator. You should have a cash stash for necessities that would last between two and four weeks. I hope you also filled the car with gas. Stations are supposed to have generators, but not all do, and there are a lot of people buying gas for generators so demand is huge. I topped off my car this morning and the first two stations I went to were out of fuel. Although deliveries are still occurring today, they will stop when the winds reach a certain point.

The national media does latch onto the storms and get a little over dramatic, but our local news is usually pretty good about keeping it real while the storm is passing.

I hope your first hurricane experience turns out to be minimal. I used to live up north as well. Although they can be similar when it comes to power outages, I have never had a blizzard destroy my home and all my belongings like a hurricane can. It’s not really a fair comparison, but I hope you feel the same when this is all over. Stay safe!

Last edited:
Hey, I'll play along. Actually I've been pretty much on the parks hurricane thread until now since there's one in almost every forum.
What we've done:
I have topped off the fuel tank in our RV, which is in the garage. (150gal)
The RV generator ran for 8 days after we lost power during Irma so we should be ok on electricity
All cars are topped off with gas.
100 gal of fresh water in the RV storage tank.
I have the extension cord attached to the house fridge so I can plug it into the RV when we lose power.
Everything on the outside is now in the garage.
We have several cases of water, plus jugs filled.
Pre-made foods in the bus fridge, and the house fridge
Sandwiches and hotdogs. Pretty much food that can be eaten cold or microwaved
Cash if necessary if the card readers are down. Of course the places that we need to be at would probably be down.
That's about all we can do. Hopefully the cell towers stay up for news and special bulletins.

We are in Lake County about fifteen miles west of Disney. Lake County was upgraded this morning from a tropical storm warning to a hurricane watch. We are from New England (used to blizzards and ice storms) and have been in Florida for almost four years. Love it here, but I'm getting a little nervous since we've never experienced a hurricane. We are as prepared as we can be, and the way these houses are built, I feel like we're in a very sturdy concrete shelter. Not sure about how the screened cage over the lanai will do, or how this storm will affect the pond behind our house. I guess we'll find out. I hope everyone finds a safe place to ride out the hurricane.

My DIL works in reinsurance and used to do catastrophe modeling. She said that current modeling is much more accurate at determining a storm’s track but not nearly as good at determining intensity.

I was about 30 miles west of Michael. It wasn’t too bad for me (I took a nap during the worst of it) but having educated myself more, I wouldn’t stay even that close to a hurricane again as I have the luxury of being able to afford to leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter