i want adventure in the great wide somewhere - running journal! (comments welcome)

Disney Marathon 2022 Training Journal

Okay, that update I said I was going write... yesterday.

September 14: 4 miles • 46:25 • 11:36 avg pace

I was so sore the first 2 miles of this run. I was way behind the group and two women stopped when they realized they couldn't see me so that they could check I was okay and stick with me.

September 15: Track Week 4
This workout was 3 miles, one lap fast, one recovery, one fast, one recovery. A 2 minute standing rest between each mile.
Warm up: 1.01 mile • 12:34
Mile 1: 10:45
Mile 2: 10:46
Mile 3: 10:51

She's consistent, folks. I was one of the two people to do the whole workout. Our coach modified the other women's workouts to 2 miles.

September 18: 6.01 miles • 1:10:36 • 11:44 avg pace
This was a training run in North Carolina the morning my cousin got married. I was able to turn the hotel and the office park parking lots and roads into a solid mile loop that ended right at the Dunkin' across from the hotel.

September 29: 3.13 miles • 31:07 • 9:57 avg pace

I did a local race that's every Wednesday night about a mile and half from where I live. I was hoping to be in under 30:00 but not tonight. Soon, though. Two of the women I run with have offered to pace me at a race in December. Also, the official race time for me was 31:01. I won't complain about that. I am a minute off my goal of a 30 minute 5k (or sub 30 minute).

October 3: 13.00 miles • 2:34:34 • 11:53 avg pace

I ran 13 yesterday with two of the girls in my club. They only needed 11, so I did two before and then 11 with them. I did a 5:1 interval and they ran straight. I felt tired at the end but not awful. I do have a nasty callous on my toe I need to deal with.

*This has been updated* Plan (Disney plan || My plan)

• 10/10 - 4 miles || 4 miles
  • 10/16 - 17 miles || 15 miles
  • 10/23 - 5 miles || 5 miles
  • 10/30 - 6 miles || 17 miles
  • 11/6 - 20 miles || 6 miles
  • 11/13 - 6 miles || 20 miles
  • 11/20 - 7 miles || 7 miles
  • 11/27 - 23 miles || 23 miles
  • 12/4 - 6 miles || 6 miles
  • 12/11 - 7 miles || 7 miles
  • 12/18 - 26 miles || 26 miles
  • 12/25 - 6 miles || 6 miles
  • 1/1 - 7 miles || 7 miles
  • 1/9 - 26.2 miles (race)

Last edited:

I'm updating a little bit early because this weekend's long run turned into a race. Yesterday (Thursday) morning I was easily persuaded into signing up for the Bay State Half Marathon this weekend. But more on that in a moment...

October 9: 4.01 miles • 44:09 • 11:00 avg pace
A Saturday morning group run. First 2 miles with a big group who were running 5, so I headed off for the last mile with the other 3-mile runner and then I added on at the end. After finishing the run, I showered and changed and went out to the Boston Marathon route to support the virtual runners with water, snacks, and basic first aid. I was at mile 20, across from Heartbreak Hill Running Company. It was a lot of fun supporting the course - lots of virtual runners out and about in addition to the 9 from the club!

October 11: Marathon Volunteering Day!
I didn't run this day, but I had a blast cheering on the runners from the mile 22 fuel stop!

October 12: 4.02 miles • 49:01 • 12:12 avg pace
Tuesday night and we celebrated the marathoners after our run (both our virtual marathoners and our in-person marathoners). The average pace is a little bit off because I didn't pause my watch when we stopped for selfies in front of our club president's porta-potty (she's doing work on her house) and another house that was all decked out for Halloween.

October 14: 3.01 miles • 32:58 • 10:58 avg pace

My first Thursday morning run with the club! I've been dragging my feet participating in the early morning run. There's a group that goes out at 5:30 and another that goes at 6:30. I went with the 6:30 group. Almost missed them, but they ran out of the parking lot one way and then ran past where I parked, so I jumped in with them for the 3 miles and then I just added on the quarter mile I had left at the parking lot. Then we had coffee. I didn't think I would like the early morning run but it was actually really great. Being part of a running club is expensive! It's only $30 for the year, but then I go to dinner and coffee all the time!

While we were having coffee... I was talked into signing up for the half marathon this weekend. I'll run 2 miles before the start, and then the 13.1 race for the 15 I need! I'll do a race recap once I get home.

Plan (Disney plan || My plan)

• 10/16 - 17 miles || 15 miles
  • 10/23 - 5 miles || 5 miles

Last edited:

Bay State Half Marathon Race Recap

Bib Pick Up/Expo
I went to get my bib the day before the race. It was quick. I parked illegally on the street for a few minutes, walked right in and got my bib. Skipped the "expo" since it was mostly just jackets you could buy and I wasn't interested (one of my running friends had gone the night before and sent the expo inf0).

Race Day
My plan on the training schedule was 15 miles. So that morning, I drove to a coffee place to meet Robin and Kristen. We drove up to the race and parked on the street near the route and they sent me off for my first 2 miles.

Mile 1: 11:10
Mile 2: 11:19
(2.01 miles in 22:36)

I made it back to the start line with 5 minutes to spare and found my group taking a photo so I jumped into it. Then walked over to the start line and began!

Mile 1: 11:22
Mile 2: 11:12
Mile 3: 11:06
I did these 3 miles with Kristen. She had an easy 3 mile warm up, then a workout from her coach (this was a training run for her Philly half where she's trying to PR). We talked about how, while this course is known for being flat and fast, neither of us were trying to PR since they were training runs. She had her workout and mine was supposed to be easy. But I knew that if I kept this pace, I would PR by a lot (and break 2:30 which is a goal for me). A little after mile 2 (around halfway to mile 3), we saw a big group of our girls cheering us on. That was the best feeling. Especially because they were at the start of a decent uphill over a bridge.

Mile 4: 11:11
Mile 5: 11:40
Mile 6: 11:26
These miles were much flatter. Kristen had gone off without me so that she could do her workout (3 miles at 10:00-10:30 pace, 1 mile recovery, 3 miles 10:00-10:30 pace). Mile 6 is a big round bend to the other side of the river and a little bit banked, but my ankles felt fine. I had slowed down a little at mile 5, but was back to feeling quick at mile 6. I knew I was almost halfway. That helped. Also I started intervals around here (5 minute run, 1 minute walk).

Mile 7: 11:24
Mile 8: 11:47
Mile 9: 12:05
Right around the halfway mark I saw another club girl who was volunteering on the course, directing runners. It was nice to see her. I was really slowing down here. I didn't worry too much about a PR. I figured it was roughly around what was a good, easy pace for a 10k, where I usually am when I'm at my fastest, and If I kept it up I'd be in a good spot for a 2:35 half, which I thought was a good training pace. Mile 9.5 I saw the girls again (the course is 2 loops). It was the push I needed.

Mile 10: 12:03
Mile 11: 12:01
Mile 12: 11:42
Steady here. Nice and steady. I knew that if I kept it up, no matter how tired I was, I could likely get a PR. Not break 2:30, but definitely PR. Saw a friend at 12.5 and got some good energy from her. Knew my parents (and friends) were at the finish line. Just needed to get there. Cried some. I always cry some.

Mile 13: 11:42
Sprinted into the finish. Knew it was a PR. After finishing, I got a mylar blanket, my medal, and a water. I went over to take a photo and then grabbed a free keychain celebrating my PR and half a banana and a root beer. Kept walking and found my parents, then went over and found Robin and Kristen and celebrated my PR. My parents headed out and then I went back for some more banana and the short walk to the car before heading home for a coffee.

Overall Thoughts
This is a great local race. A big one, too. Great course support. Super well organized. Lots of fun! I do wish it was one loop of the marathon course (the marathon is also two loops) instead of 2 shorter loops. Lowell is a cool city, very up and coming with a rich history. I would do this one again.

FINAL TIME: 2:32:16

Last edited:

October 17: 15.21 miles • 2:57:02 • 11:47 avg pace
I gave the full recap last week, but this was the total run!

October 19: 3.01 miles • 38:47 • 12:53 avg pace
Tuesday night. I was a little sore from the race so I took it easy on the 3 mile route.

October 21: 3.02 miles • 33:39 • 11:09 avg pace
Thursday morning. Obviously much faster than Tuesday. No one convinced me to sign up for a run this time.

October 23: 5.04 • 57:57 • 11:30
Saturday morning. I think this might have actually been slightly faster but there was a pause in the run while a group that was going 8 miles tried to figure out the way they wanted to add the extra 3 on.

Last edited:

Tuesday was storming, so no run with the girls! Here's the rest:

October 28: 3.06 miles • 32:21 • 10:34 avg pace
Thursday morning. This was a speedy morning run followed by coffee.

October 31: 17.01 miles • 3:43:27 • 13:08 avg pace
This is a distance PR for me. I did 15 miles two weeks ago, but that felt more like 2 miles warm up + a half marathon where this felt like a 17 mile training run. I learned a lot about distance in this run. Definitely went out too fast. I was struggling in the last 3 miles. Totally spent. My fuel also isn't adequate, but the gatorade in my new handheld water bottle was awesome. I think I'm going to try some ClifBloks - maybe the margarita ones since I lose so much salt when I run. Anyway, let's peek at the splits.

Mile 1: 12:24
Mile 2: 12:43
Mile 3: 13:02
Mile 4: 13:08
Mile 5: 12:05
Mile 6: 12:05
Mile 7: 12:08
Mile 8: 11:40
Mile 9: 12:13
Mile 10: 12:34
Mile 11: 15:00 (I forgot to pause my watch here while I stopped to refill my water bottle)
Mile 12: 12:33
Mile 13: 13:41
Mile 14: 13:37
Mile 15: 13:22
Mile 16: 15:27 (Just drag me the last 2 miles, please)
Mile 17: 15:37
(Really, I will hang onto the back of a bike and it can drag me)

Last edited:
Mile 16: 15:27 (Just drag me the last 2 miles, please)
Mile 17: 15:37
(Really, I will hang onto the back of a bike and it can drag me)
I don't have any advice but this really made me giggle. I've definitely been there before. Now is the time to figure out a way to fuel and pace yourself that works for you and you don't experience this during your race. Best of luck!

I don't have any advice but this really made me giggle. I've definitely been there before. Now is the time to figure out a way to fuel and pace yourself that works for you and you don't experience this during your race. Best of luck!

😂 laughing about it makes it easier, I think. And knowing I’m not the only one who has felt that way!

I’m going to go buy some new fuel because my gummies don’t cut it. They cut the hunger but don’t gas me up. And I’ll be focusing on slowing it down, even when I feel really good in the middle.

Last edited:
I’ll be interested to see what you think of the clifblocks. I thought I had sand/dirt on my face in a run leading up to my full; nope, it was salt from my dried sweat. 😬 so I’m trying to figure out the salt thing too.

Based on your HM PR of 2:32, I calculate a continuous LR pace of 13:12 min/mile and run/walk pace of 14:07 min/mile using 90/30 intervals at 13:12 pace/18:00 pace.

I’ll be interested to see what you think of the clifblocks. I thought I had sand/dirt on my face in a run leading up to my full; nope, it was salt from my dried sweat. 😬 so I’m trying to figure out the salt thing too.

I ran with my club president last night and she had a couple things of bloks in her car, so I grabbed them and will test them out this weekend on a 6 mile run to make sure they don't upset my stomach. I promise to report back!

Based on your HM PR of 2:32, I calculate a continuous LR pace of 13:12 min/mile and run/walk pace of 14:07 min/mile using 90/30 intervals at 13:12 pace/18:00 pace.

Thank you! At the end, it was actually more comfortable to run straight than do my walking intervals. In two weeks, I have 20 miles so I think I'll throw it to my club to see if anyone wants to join me for a run at a 13:15 pace. Even if they only come for some of it.

Question for the group: when I mentioned that the Galloway plan goes up to a 26 mile run before race day, the women I run with were really surprised. I know that most plans go to 20 max - what's the thought process behind the 26 pre-race for Galloway? I figured it was to help with the mind over matter thing - you've done it once, you can do it again. I was planning on capping at 23 because I want to hit 26 for the first time in a race, but I'm curious about Galloway's method. They were also surprised that the fallback weeks went all the way down to 6 or 7. What are the pros/cons for dropping this far back and what do other plans usually do for fallback weeks?

Question for the group: when I mentioned that the Galloway plan goes up to a 26 mile run before race day, the women I run with were really surprised. I know that most plans go to 20 max - what's the thought process behind the 26 pre-race for Galloway? I figured it was to help with the mind over matter thing - you've done it once, you can do it again. I was planning on capping at 23 because I want to hit 26 for the first time in a race, but I'm curious about Galloway's method. They were also surprised that the fallback weeks went all the way down to 6 or 7. What are the pros/cons for dropping this far back and what do other plans usually do for fallback weeks?

So the two are interconnected. With the high-highs of the Galloway plan come the low-lows to induce sufficient recovery. He also tends to have more weeks between LRs. A more traditional training plan will follow a high-mod-high-mod LR pattern on a weekly basis towards the end of training. Whereas, Galloway follows a higher-low-low-higher-low-low. Again, this is because his plan is focusing on completing the race distance and getting you there healthy (his data suggests the combination of run/walk + 3 week LR rotation + long LRs can accomplish this), instead of being well trained and in a good place fitness wise. He's focused on completion, and other plans are focused on max fitness. You're also correct that it is a psychological benefit to go to 26 miles in training rather than a physiological benefit. You've done it before and you can do it again.

It's important to remember as well that Galloway's LR pace is traditionally much much slower than other training plan's LR pace. So he's mitigating some risk in his really high mileage training runs by keeping the pace extra slow comparatively. So this is where you personally may run into an issue using Galloway's plan as a continuous runner. As he is assuming you're 1) doing run/walk and 2) doing it at a pace that's 50-60 sec/mile slower than if you were a continuous runner. So by using continuous pacing on a Galloway plan, and using the traditional continuous runner LR pace, then you're making it harder than he intended. That's why you'll see other training plans do less on the long runs because there is some inherent risk in going that far in training at that relative fitness pace. Instead, you'd want to train like an ultra runner in that your long run pace is much slower than a marathon runner's LR pace.

As for 20 miles in other traditional plans, my digging into the topic several years ago appears to show that the value was 1) based on a round number (as humans like round numbers to focus on, so we like 20 better than 19, regardless of the physiological differences ((even further sidebar, who does it bother when a training run ends at 16.99 miles or 17.37 miles, the same people who like 20 instead of 19)) and 2) when most of these training plans were developed (or the philosophies around them that still resonate today) was in the 70s/80s when runners were much quicker as an average than they are today. So a 20 mile run for a 2:45 hr marathoner takes a lot less time to complete than a 20 mile run for a 5:00 hr marathoner. That's why some of the more recent training plans (and philosophies) in the last decade to two decades have been focused on the idea of combining duration with relative current fitness pacing (now better known as training load). The idea that a 2.5 hr training run at 70% effort is an equivalent workout for a 2:45 hr marathoner and a 5 hr marathoner despite one possibly doing 23 miles and the other doing 13 miles during that time span. That's where training plans like Hansons and Daniels come in. The idea of doing less on the long runs and doing more mid-week in order to maximize running fitness rather than training to complete.

So the two are interconnected. With the high-highs of the Galloway plan come the low-lows to induce sufficient recovery. He also tends to have more weeks between LRs. A more traditional training plan will follow a high-mod-high-mod LR pattern on a weekly basis towards the end of training. Whereas, Galloway follows a higher-low-low-higher-low-low. Again, this is because his plan is focusing on completing the race distance and getting you there healthy (his data suggests the combination of run/walk + 3 week LR rotation + long LRs can accomplish this), instead of being well trained and in a good place fitness wise. He's focused on completion, and other plans are focused on max fitness. You're also correct that it is a psychological benefit to go to 26 miles in training rather than a physiological benefit. You've done it before and you can do it again.

It's important to remember as well that Galloway's LR pace is traditionally much much slower than other training plan's LR pace. So he's mitigating some risk in his really high mileage training runs by keeping the pace extra slow comparatively. So this is where you personally may run into an issue using Galloway's plan as a continuous runner. As he is assuming you're 1) doing run/walk and 2) doing it at a pace that's 50-60 sec/mile slower than if you were a continuous runner. So by using continuous pacing on a Galloway plan, and using the traditional continuous runner LR pace, then you're making it harder than he intended. That's why you'll see other training plans do less on the long runs because there is some inherent risk in going that far in training at that relative fitness pace. Instead, you'd want to train like an ultra runner in that your long run pace is much slower than a marathon runner's LR pace.

As for 20 miles in other traditional plans, my digging into the topic several years ago appears to show that the value was 1) based on a round number (as humans like round numbers to focus on, so we like 20 better than 19, regardless of the physiological differences ((even further sidebar, who does it bother when a training run ends at 16.99 miles or 17.37 miles, the same people who like 20 instead of 19)) and 2) when most of these training plans were developed (or the philosophies around them that still resonate today) was in the 70s/80s when runners were much quicker as an average than they are today. So a 20 mile run for a 2:45 hr marathoner takes a lot less time to complete than a 20 mile run for a 5:00 hr marathoner. That's why some of the more recent training plans (and philosophies) in the last decade to two decades have been focused on the idea of combining duration with relative current fitness pacing (now better known as training load). The idea that a 2.5 hr training run at 70% effort is an equivalent workout for a 2:45 hr marathoner and a 5 hr marathoner despite one possibly doing 23 miles and the other doing 13 miles during that time span. That's where training plans like Hansons and Daniels come in. The idea of doing less on the long runs and doing more mid-week in order to maximize running fitness rather than training to complete.

Thanks for this info! It will be nice to be able to give a more concrete answer than I gave last night. I told her that a lot of people who run Disney are aiming for completion rather than time and are also new runners, so that the plan probably helped with knowing you could get it done.

When I started this running thing, it was because I went to a bachelorette party during the princess weekend and I was so envious of the runners (and people assumed my group of women there for the weekend/week to run), so I signed up! It had been years since I'd run, so I used the method Disney ascribed to (Galloway) and finished that half + two others in the same year with relative success. I had never done distance, always capping at about 3 miles.

Now that I'm running more seriously and continuously, I'm thinking future marathon and half marathon plans may need to be adjusted since my fitness and ability has changed.

Last edited:

Sorry that this is a boring one - not much to report. Just running. Each run is another run closer to the race.

November 2: 3.01 miles • 36:29 • 12:08 avg pace
Tuesday night.

November 4: 3.05 miles • 35:53 • 11:47 avg pace
Thursday morning.

November 6: 6.01 miles • 1:04:54 • 10:48 avg pace

I almost added on the .2 for a 10k time but decided to just end my run for the day because I already knew that it would have been an unofficial PR. I got my booster yesterday but really have nothing to report, it definitely didn't slow me down.

Last edited:

I ran 20 miles and didn't die! Let's talk abut it. But first...

November 9: 3.00 miles • 36:06 • 12:02 avg pace
Tuesday night.

November 11: 3.00 miles • 32:37 • 10:50 avg pace
Thursday morning.

November 14: 20.00 miles • 4:34:53 • 13:44 avg pace
I ran 20 miles. Actually, really, ran 20 miles. I did a 2:1 interval again. I also decided that one of the ways to get out of my head was to make the miles more manageable chunks. Initially my plan was to run 5 miles 4 times. Either a 5 mile loop or an out and back. This also meant I could refill my gatorade at my car and have snacks and fuel, etc, etc. But then when I got out to the bike path, I decided I could go out and back 6 miles, then out and back 4. It definitely helped with the mental stuff, but the physical fatigue was still there. I was pretty wiped by the end, with some soreness, but feeling significantly better than when I ran 17. Definitely because I slowed WAY down. I was also able to see a bunch of my club on the route. They were out biking and it was just really nice to have familiar faces supporting you.

I stopped 3 times on this run, once to use the bathroom at around mile 9. Then again at mile 12 to refill my gatorade and have some chips. Then at mile 18.5 when my parents were getting beer and snacks at a food/beer hall that's right on the path. I decided to grab a little sip of their beers before getting back for the last little bit (and look at that speed after a mini break - a quick final mile). For fuel (besides beer) I did clifbloks every 3 miles. They worked for the most part. My breakfast needed to be bigger. I only had half a bagel because I couldn't stomach more that early. More learnings for the next long run!

Splits:
1 mile: 13:51
2 miles: 14:46
3 miles: 15:15
4 miles: 14:01
5 miles: 13:01
6 miles: 13:16
7 miles: 13:24
8 miles: 13:12
9 miles: 12:53
10 miles: 11:58
11 miles: 13:06
12 miles: 13:49
13 miles: 13:32
14 miles: 14:35
15 miles: 15:39
16 miles: 14:29
17 miles: 14:13
18 miles: 13:27
19 miles: 13:31
20 miles: 12:47

• 11/27 - 23 miles || 23 miles (22 min.)
  • 12/18 - 26 miles || 26 miles (24 min.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter