I refuse to pay 18-20% gratuity for a buffet

It really doesn't have anything to do with the DDP as you should tip even if you pay OOP. What you tip is your business if you don't have more 6 in your family and if you do than you will be charged the same amount DDP or OOP.

The service at restaurants at Disney has gone downhill ever since they implemented the mandatory 18% gratuity. What's the incentive to provide "disney's magic" when they are getting the gratuity regardless. I will always tip a great server the 18-20% or more for the magic. I resent having to pay it for so-so or worse service.
The 18% service charge is applicable ONLY under certain conditions: Guests using the Disney Dining Experience discount, or Guests whose parties consist of six or more diners.

The MAJORITY of Guests do not fall into either category; thererfore, the 18% is most often NOT mandatory; therefore its implementation cannot be blamed for a perceived downturn in service.

And Guests with legitimate service problems can talk to a manager - ideally WHILE the problem is occuring, not after the check is presented - to resolve the issue.

Just returned, and for the most part, we noticed a bit of a decline in service this trip at familiar restaurants that we've eaten at a million times before. By far, the worst buffet service we received was at Boma, but that restaurant is always unorganized anyway.

We base our tip on level of service, so several buffet servers got 15%, but some of them like at Boma and O'Hana, 1900 Park Fare (breakfast only) got only 10% as we experienced server issues, no refills, etc.

Happy eating, Tiger

We also just returned and agree that the service does seem to be lacking from our many past visits. We found only twice did we leave extra. Since we are DDE holders, we don't have much control over the tip and accept that. Our best service was to be found at Concourse SH, Olivias and LeCellier. Our service that was not very good was at Spoodles. As for Cape May, San Angel and 50sPT, both were just so so as the servers just did the bare minmum and often would just disappear for a long time. So with a 12 day trip I think we only tipped extra from the 18% included 3 times.

We also just returned and agree that the service does seem to be lacking from our many past visits. We found only twice did we leave extra. Since we are DDE holders, we don't have much control over the tip and accept that. Our best service was to be found at Concourse SH, Olivias and LeCellier. Our service that was not very good was at Spoodles. As for Cape May, San Angel and 50sPT, both were just so so as the servers just did the bare minmum and often would just disappear for a long time. So with a 12 day trip I think we only tipped extra from the 18% included 3 times.

We received terrible service at Spoodles too! The restaurant was empty and we were seated near kitchen right near manager as well. We were very underwhelmed with the food (it was actually not good at all) and the service - won't be going back again.

Best service was at: Cali Grill, Citricos, Yachtsmen, Coral Reef and one other place that escapes me at the moment. They all received from 20-25% in tips.

Service definitely has declined, and we feel it's because we saw most people just filling out the 18% or 20% lines on their bill, or, if it's DDE, the servers get an auto tip. We have eaten at practically every WDW restaurant multiple times, and we never experienced such server disappearance as this trip! We also had to bus our own tables at practically every buffet, and we don't even eat a lot - just a few plates.

Tiger

does there seam to be enough wait staff working? or is it the wait staff they have working? (if that makes sence)

It's bad enough the dining plan excludes gratuity now, but to suggest I'm forking over that much of a tip for someone who does nothing but refill a glass is a bit much, IMO.

Why even have servers for this? I'm mainly speaking of character meals. Put the drinks out on the island and forget the drink refillers.

I do not think we'll be paying for DDP again. One of the best things about this plan was paying everything in advance and not having to fool with money at meal time. Bad move by Disney, IMO.

Good for the OP for openly expressing thier oppinion!!!

I agree that in most cases this percentage is too much for buffet service.
There are exceptions to that when buffet servers at Disney have just been the best, and went way beyond what would normally be expected at a buffet and made our experience great!!!

I also agree.. bad move by Disney...

1. for removing the gratuity from the dining plans
2. for adding a manditory gratuity to parties of 6 or more of 18%, especially at buffets.
3. allowing so many CM's to openly discuss gratuity with the customer

Just my oppinion

We just got back. Went to Ohana on Saturday and while the food was really good as usual, the service was HORRIBLE. I don't know what was up with our waiter, but it was honestly the worst service I think i've ever encountered anywhere. Three tables around us were seated after us and were being served their main course (steak, pork, turkey etc) before we even got our salad/first course. We had 9 people so automatically had the 18% added on there. The guy definitely didnt deserve it but by that time we were already late for meeting the other part of our party back at MK. Obviously not everyone got the same stinky service that night (the three tables i mentioned left Ohana about 45 minutes before we did, thats how much slower!), but apparently everyone got the same 18% tip. NOt really how it should work imho.

We just got back. Went to Ohana on Saturday and while the food was really good as usual, the service was HORRIBLE. I don't know what was up with our waiter, but it was honestly the worst service I think i've ever encountered anywhere. Three tables around us were seated after us and were being served their main course (steak, pork, turkey etc) before we even got our salad/first course. We had 9 people so automatically had the 18% added on there. The guy definitely didnt deserve it but by that time we were already late for meeting the other part of our party back at MK. Obviously not everyone got the same stinky service that night (the three tables i mentioned left Ohana about 45 minutes before we did, thats how much slower!), but apparently everyone got the same 18% tip. NOt really how it should work imho.

We ate at O'Hana 2 weeks ago, and we experienced horrible service too! That restaurant is in dire need of a new manager as they are very unorganized, forgetful, people seated after us got served before us, butter came out after bread was well eaten, etc.

We won't be dining there ever again as it's 2 strikes for them, Tiger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter