I need to stay away from gay day threads

eblack0409 said:
I completely agree with you...although I don't have kids yet, I think all kids should be taught that gay or straight, love is love. Love is the most wonderful thing, and EVERYONE should have the right to find it.

I have several gay friends, so my future children will never be "in the dark" so to speak about it....and I am sure DH and I will take them during "Gay Days"

I agree with the love is love part. Love is the most beautiful, sacred thing and I love seeing genuinely affectionate couples- gay, straight, young, old, whatever. I feel like the gross displays of affections people demean that for everyone. To be honest, I haven't seen it between gay couples as much as hetero couples, personally, but I think hugs and kisses are beautiful. Anything underneath normal clothing is disrespectful and demeaning to what love really is. I haven't been to Gay Days, so I don't know what goes on, but I have read conflicting reports. I'll have to see for myself before I can say. And I'd hope to see those hugs and kisses.

If some people behave inappropriately, it's not because they're gay (or straight or whatever).

Mama Twinkles said:
If some people behave inappropriately, it's not because they're gay (or straight or whatever).

Yup, very true. It's because they're immature idiots.

SlightlyGoofy said:
As soon as they make illegal for hetrosexual couples to meet in a bar, take off for Vegas the next day and get married, get health insurance instantly along with other marital benefits and repeat this process several times during their lifetimes I will take seriously the governments insistence on keeping marriage 'sacred".

Best wishes to all and feel comfortable holding hands in front of me, my children or grandchildren. I can explain love easily. It is violence that turns me off.

Slightly Goofy

Howdy Fellow Hoosier :wave2: !

I couldn't have said it better myself...and Lordy knows, living not far from the official Bible belt, that there aren't many open minded people 'round these parts!
I have seen a thread or two in other forums about Gay Days...I steer away so as not to risk reading a nasty thread that forces me to get nasty. I have 3 DD's(16, 12, and almost 3) and not one of them would even flinch if we were to visit WDW during Gay Days.

I've stopped reading any of those posts. They make me too angry. "I have no problem with gay people but..." yeah. right. I bet some of your best friends are gay too. Would they say this about any other group of people??? (though I confess I'm right there with them on the cheerleaders.)

Count me among the straight, not narrow and PO'd.

I'm going to be banned if I don't stay away from those threads.

I for one must agree with the post that said they rather not go to the park during cheerleading day. I have been to Disney 8 times and the 2 days that we were there with the cheerleading competitions was absolute mayhem. My partner and I would love to get a chance to visit the Magic Kingdom on Gay Day...It would be the best of two worlds :love:

MrVisible said:
I'm not looking for controversy. What I'd like most is for my boyfriend and I to just be left in peace to live our lives. I'd like to be able to hold hands with him and not have to watch out for whackos that consider our mere existence as an affront to God, one punishable by beatings and death.

The T-shirt in our case should read "Airfare, $200. Hotel rooms, $400. Being able to hold hands with my boyfriend on our honeymoon and not be the only guys doing so in the park, being around thousands of people who don't think our need to express a lifetime commitment to each other is somehow offensive, being in our favorite place on earth and feeling like we belong: priceless."

That would be one BIGGGGGG shirt. :teeth:

Enjoy your trip!

Well, I'm a big guy.

Thanks very much for your good wishes. We're really excited about the whole thing.

And as an aside...

Why don't the people like BensMom ever come back to these threads once they've posted? Here we've been very polite, offered some very cogent and clever responses, done our best to offer her our perspective, and she hasn't even bothered to respond.

It's frustrating, it is.

Ah, well. Stitch is troubled. He needs desserts!

About a month ago I posted on the families board "are [insert group] days something to worry about?" and made the point that just because it's gay days don't jump to judgements and think all people will see are guys in leather, guys my age with hands down their bf's pants, etc. I also said that indecent behavior in public is never okay, gay or straight; and that it happens everyday at WDW and when you're not in Disney (like at the mall), not just during Gay Days. However, I'm sure there are indecent acts, but hello there's always a few bad apples!

I got a few responses back from people saying "well I see your point but.." and then all I could hear them say was blah blah blah :rotfl2:

I couldn't read through this entire thread without getting upset, so I'm going to stop and post now to just get it over with.

I am a straight, married woman with two kids. I have gay friends, though, and they are no different from my straight friends. If my buddy Mike needs to vent about his boyfriend, I'm there for him the same way as if one of my female friends needs to gripe about HER boyfriend.

Homophobes should just realize than the world is made up of all different types of people. You may not live the same type of life as someone else, but that doesn't give you the right to dictate what they do.

I have been to WDW during Gay Days a few times and the only thing that I noticed what that certain parks were quite a bit more crowded than usual. I learned how to avoid the "park of the day" during Gay Days, not for any other reason than to go to a less crowded park. It doesn't bother me to see two men or two women holding hands in public. They are there for the same reason as I am...to have fun with my family in the Happiest Place on Earth.

I posted on the thread mentioned as well. My main concern overall on my vacation is "How will this affect ME?" I don't care if you're gay, straight, or other, but if I know there is a BIG crowd planning to be at this park on this day, I'll avoid it. I like uncrowded parks. (But I'm going in June go figure)

Here's how our talk about families came about. First,I live in a very small town where there are very few people who are openly gay, and also where bi racial couples are still given "the look" :confused3 I'm sure many would be very offended by Gay Days just in theory. Even in this type of community, the gay question was raised by my 7 year old DD after she heard a conversation at the store between two older men discussing "those f******" who apparently stopped to get a fill up of gas on a road trip.
I simply explained 1) that's not a nice word like stupid or cuss words 2) It's used in a very mean (don't you ever let me hear you say that) way to describe boys who like boys. And that women can like women and men can like women like Mommy and Daddy.
3) I explained there are diffrent types of families depending on who you fall in love with. No further questions other than "But how do they make babies?"
To which I replied...... They adopt. (That was as honest and non confusing answer I could come up with at the time) So, it's not hard to explain before your vacation. There are plenty of TV shows or movies you can use to illustrate the "families" concept.

I find that I am more offended by straight 16 and 17 year olds playing tonsil hockey and booty grab at Six Flags than I ever have been by any display of affection between a gay couple. But there are people of every gender, orientation and color who have no sense of discretion and no idea what is appropriate in public vs private. I don't want my kids to see things that are too adult regardless of who's doing it. That's just my opinion on the subject.
Hope everyone has a great time on their next WDW trip!!

Hi all,

I am a heterosexual female, married with one daughter 4. My husband and I were not married at the time but attended gay days in 2000. This was not planned and we had no idea about it. While we there I noticed that everyone was having fun and I did not see anything indecent going on. The fact that my husband to be was not "embarrassed" of it or did not make fun of it only further made me realize he was the one for me. We actually had some nice conversations with couples in line. I can not stand anyone who is rude or intolerant to any other human being. Heterosexual men seem to be the rudest to a gay man and I can not imagine how hard that is to someone just trying to live their lives, esp when they have kids of their own. I would have no problem going to Gay Days in WDW with my 4yr old daughter. She already knows she could love a man or a women when she grows up and both her mommy and daddy are okay with that. I have told her she should love anyone she wants to love as long as they love her back and treat her with respect. We do not have any gay/lesbian close friends or family so she doesn't see it first hand but she knows about it so that we do not have to have a "conversation" on vacation. To be honest with you, if people are avoiding Gay Days to not have a conversation with their children about how men can love men and women can love women - well then I feel sorry for those kids AND I am sure you wouldn't want those kind of people with you at WDW anyways!!

Have fun! :cool1:

I am brand new to this site. My partner and I are going to Disney in September and I am happy to see that straight(but not narrow) and gay families can all enjoy Disney together. The feedback on this thread has been very positive. I was a little nervous about how discreet we need to be as far as presenting as a couple, or just "pretend" to be friends...and trust me, we are very used to doing the friend thing. I would love to hold her hand but do not want to feel uncomfortable by angry eyes. :thanks:

Hi!

I am straight and must admit I really don't understand the gay lifestyle. However, I do understand love and the need for a partner to share one's life with. If some people's lifestyles go about finding committment in another way than mine, so what? Love is the greatest gift on this planet, loneliness the greatest curse. Good luck to all who find a true life partner, no matter their "lifestyle". :love:

I hope this comes out right....
Someday little kids will see gay couples holding hands and sneaking a quick kiss and will say, "Ewww, they're kissing!" just like they would for a hetero couple. **sigh** That's my dream, anyway.

I think it's sad that parents are concerned that WDW isn't the place for their kids to learn about homosexuality. Actually, I agree--the kids should have learned about it a long time ago. They should know it is a normal way of life for many loving people.

Truthfully, until there's a "Pedophile Priest Day," the kids will be fine at WDW. (Oh, my bad. Did I actually write that? Oh well. Can't take it back now! :rotfl: )

:sunny:

DisneyDotty said:
I hope this comes out right....
Someday little kids will see gay couples holding hands and sneaking a quick kiss and will say, "Ewww, they're kissing!" just like they would for a hetero couple. **sigh** That's my dream, anyway.

That's incredibly sweet. Sign me up for that dream too, would you?

Dotty. Dotty. Dotty.
You might be a bit of a rabble-rouser?
But I think I love you.

minnieandmickeymouse said:
:hug:

I really don't understand peoples fear of gay days at Disney. They make it seem like gays are going to MK to have s*x on main street! I just want to tell them "GET OVER IT"!! :furious:

Well, last year we were there during 'gay week' and yes, my first thought was ugh! Mainly for the reason of the crowds! But we did indeed see 2 young boys {mid teens} holding hands and kissing {not just a peck} on Main street... when they stopped kissing they looked around with such hate on their faces to see who was looking. So I guess things do happen on Main Street USA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter